Sign in to follow this  
The Modfather AKA

Atmosphere at Carrow Road

Hi All

I am not a regurlar poster on this board, just a browswer but I thought of something very interesting. Not to many would disagree that over the past few years the atmosphere at Carrow Road has declined. This could be to do with the performances on the pitch. I generally believe the crowd feed off the players and vice versa.

But this has also coincided with the enforced rule that we are no longer able to stand up in the game, and if we do, we are forced to sit down by the stewards. The year we were promoted, the atmosphere was incredible week in week out.(I know the football and results were great)But that year I do not remember being asked to sit down too many times, and if I was it would be after 20 mins after standing, and you would sit down for about 30 seconds before we all stood up and declared our hatred of the scum.

But since we went up, we get no way near as much leniancy in standing up. As soon as an attack is over we are asked to sit down. I believe that standing up absorbs you into the game, and means that every kick means that much more. Sitting down means for viewing is interrupted, ruins the flow and stops me personally from getting into the game. Plus when you stand up, it''s alot easier to get singing.

Like I said, thats not to say poor performances havent helped the atmosphere, but I believe standing up just helps that little bit more. The one game this year, Ipswich, I did not sit down for 90 mins and nor did anyone around me, and we all know how good the stadium was that day! I''m not saying go back to terracing. just a bit of leniency from the club and stewards, and understanding that the game does continue between each Norwich attack.

Maybe I''m talking drivel, but I would bet anything that this would improve the atmosphere!

Thoughts please.

I think this subject has been done to death recently on here...but standing up throughout a game was not the practice all over the ground even in the Championship winning season...not being able to do so may have spoiled some people''s enjoyment in some sections, notably lower Barclay, so I wouldn''t try to aportion any subduing of the atmosphere on the Stewards or the Carrow Road Safety policy.

Unfortnately health and safety are absolutely correct about the dangers of standing in seated areas.All seaters were always going to kill atmosphere, the fans want sating areas and there is absolutely no evidence that, properly controlled they cannot be as safe, if not safer than seating. Just dont put the fences up..... durr!Bring back the terraces

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Unfortnately health and safety are absolutely correct about the dangers of standing in seated areas.

All seaters were always going to kill atmosphere, the fans want sating areas and there is absolutely no evidence that, properly controlled they cannot be as safe, if not safer than seating. Just dont put the fences up..... durr!

Bring back the terraces
[/quote]

Exactly!

All seaters were brought in after the tragic events at Hillisborough in 1989, but that incident was not a direct cause of terracing.

The authorites thought that people would forget about terracing and sit down but that hasn''t happened. indeed in the Barclay youngsters not born or who were too young to remember when Carrow Road last had standing areas in 1992 prefer to stand, so its not just the oldies! 

Terracing causes no problems in rugby, lower leagues, non leagues, horse racing, stock car racing, speedway, in fact almost every other spectator sport, concerts etc. The German Bundesliga which get bigger attendances than the Premiership have a lot of standing areas and their are no problems.

Its a fact which many who used to go in the old Barclay and the new version will tell you - It was easier to get out of the old Barclay terrace than it was the new all seater version so that completely dispels the safety issue!

There is so much justification for allowing areas of standing for home fans at grounds. Quite simply allowing walkways at the front of the terrace (like at the Cardiff away end), no pens or fences and exits kept clear like they are in seated areas then their is no gopod reason not to have terraces.

Personally I''d rather stand like I used to in the old Barclay but when I''m in a seated I''d rather sit on my seat as you don''t see the game any better by standing and I still chant when I''m sitting which some people don''t seem to be able to do!.

So this sit down, stand up nonsense we have every game in the Barclay would be ended by the return of terracing to certain areas of the ground thus giving people a choice of sitting or standing.

As for atmosphere, yes I''d agree that all seated have helped to nullify many grounds atmospheres but like out European games and the ones in our Championship year show that all seaters can generate great atmospheres.

Yesterdays game against poor lower league opposition, crowd down by 4000 and a weakened Norwich team looking very disinterested and playing woefully until going a goal down is hardly likely to inspire a great atmosphere is it?

[quote user="scott"]

As for atmosphere, yes I''d agree that all seated have helped to nullify many grounds atmospheres but like out European games and the ones in our Championship year show that all seaters can generate great atmospheres.

[/quote]yeah.....when people satnd up. I was working at the Liverpool v Chelsea Champions League Semi last season ..... the entire Kop stood for the whole game.

Standing is good for an attack but it can get annoying when the lad in front of you is bobbing up and down like a rabbit.

Are you incapable of singing while sitting down? 

This is utter rubbish.

[quote user="The Modfather AKA"]

Hi All

I am not a regurlar poster on this board, just a browswer but I thought of something very interesting. Not to many would disagree that over the past few years the atmosphere at Carrow Road has declined. This could be to do with the performances on the pitch. I generally believe the crowd feed off the players and vice versa.

But this has also coincided with the enforced rule that we are no longer able to stand up in the game, and if we do, we are forced to sit down by the stewards. The year we were promoted, the atmosphere was incredible week in week out.(I know the football and results were great)But that year I do not remember being asked to sit down too many times, and if I was it would be after 20 mins after standing, and you would sit down for about 30 seconds before we all stood up and declared our hatred of the scum.

But since we went up, we get no way near as much leniancy in standing up. As soon as an attack is over we are asked to sit down. I believe that standing up absorbs you into the game, and means that every kick means that much more. Sitting down means for viewing is interrupted, ruins the flow and stops me personally from getting into the game. Plus when you stand up, it''s alot easier to get singing.

Like I said, thats not to say poor performances havent helped the atmosphere, but I believe standing up just helps that little bit more. The one game this year, Ipswich, I did not sit down for 90 mins and nor did anyone around me, and we all know how good the stadium was that day! I''m not saying go back to terracing. just a bit of leniency from the club and stewards, and understanding that the game does continue between each Norwich attack.

Maybe I''m talking drivel, but I would bet anything that this would improve the atmosphere!

Thoughts please.

[/quote]

i think that a small part of the decline in atmosphere is to do with the increase of season ticket sales to the glory hunters. the people who bought in after we got promoted. plus the wingers and whiners, leaving not to much for us fans who want to make some noise and get a sing song and banter going.   ive alwys thought it was a shame that only on end of the stadium makes all the noise. Barclay and snake pit.   but its about time that the fantastic 24000+ crowds actualy made some noise and made some positive loud singing for their team noise, NOT the poor foul abusive swearing at the players that goes on.