Sign in to follow this  
Blainsey

This Hucks abuse disgusts me....

I am appalled at the detrimental comments that are currently being sent hucks way, the man took a massive pay-cut to join us all those years ago, without him coming we would not have been promoted, and several posters on here wouldnt have decided to either a) come out of the woodwork and support us again becuase were premiership, or b) decide to support us initially because we were premiership.

The man has bled yellow and green since he arrived. It is not his fault that no manager has really got the best out of him (apart from that first season). The very fact that he has won the PFA player of the month award is testament to his quality. And posters on here slate his ability and attitude.

Disgusting.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

I am appalled at the detrimental comments that are currently being sent hucks way, the man took a massive pay-cut to join us all those years ago, without him coming we would not have been promoted, and several posters on here wouldnt have decided to either a) come out of the woodwork and support us again becuase were premiership, or b) decide to support us initially because we were premiership.

The man has bled yellow and green since he arrived. It is not his fault that no manager has really got the best out of him (apart from that first season). The very fact that he has won the PFA player of the month award is testament to his quality. And posters on here slate his ability and attitude.

Disgusting.

[/quote]

I am with you Blainsey, but you should have learnt by now that it''s the ''British Way'' of doing things hero worshiped one moment, then  kick them to the ground the next. Huckerby as you said is one of the most important & skillful  players we have had in the last 20 years, without Hucks we would never ever have had such memorable days such as beating Man Utd 2-0. Lay of the man and treat him with the respect he deserves and if you can''t do that then keep your bitter and twisted thoughts to yourselves.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Disgusting.

[/quote]

Great. Well in that case, let''s bring back Iwan, Fleck and Gunny too. They all "bleed yellow and green".

If he''s not playing well (which he isn''t) and he''s not playing with passion (which he isn''t) then he will get shouted at. Fair enough.

yet another post where people are not allowed to have an opinion unless its yours? WHY? i am amazed Hux won the player of the month as by his standards he has not been at his best, but im sure youll slate me for saying that wont you?

Me too Blainsey, but it''s the nature of the beast perhaps, some posters (and fans who don''t post on the internet perhaps) are not happy unless there is something or someone to moan about. If it weren''t Hucks it would be Doc, or Shacks and now even Bryan Gunn is getting stick.

As you have said, and it''s been repeatedly said, without him we are ordinary. Replacing him is going to be very difficult given our budget. Let''s make the most of him while he''s still here.

His attitude - oh like playing through a chronic injury and not taking a larger pay deal somewhere else? Or is it merely an inability of those detractors to realise he''s not as young as he was and is not playing with a team which can make the most of his talents.

I think Nigel W did make the most of him initially, but then the Premiership was too much for the manager to cope with. Sad really as a finely tuned team in that season would seen the best of him.

Now he is seeing out his final year in pro football against this backdrop. Sorry Hucks, some of us can still see you for the quality player you are and a fine servant of the club. Well done on the award.

So we can criticise every other player, but not Hux, is that it? Sorry, I don''t agree. If he''s playing badly, I''ll say he''s playing badly. Abuse? Not really. Just recall what Gary Holt (every bit as committed to City as Huckerby) had to endure on here and elsewhere. And to blame the manager for Huckerby''s underachievement is silly - he''s had maybe 9 or 10 managers during his career, and still never succeeded in making the most of his talent until his first half-season here.

I couldnt agree more Blainsey. The abuse Hucks has been getting has been ridiculous. Just because he perhaps hasnt been at is his best this season, he has given more to the Norwich cause than any other player in NCFC''s history in my opinion. He pretty much single handedly won us promotion, and the difference in our performance without him was massive, so i wonder where we would have been without him all these years.Hucks gives 110% every game and has been absolutely electric in some matches, his form dips a bit this season and all of a sudden people are slating him saying he should be out of the team, these people make me sick and arent true fans.If they were they would recognise that Hucks is a Norwich City legend and in my opinion our greatest ever player.OTBC

Is there really an issue here? The Huckster is a City legend and his contribution to the club since his arrival is unquestioned. However he is also getting older and cannot defy nature with respect to his speed and it is this attribute that hs game is built on. His hip has been a recurring problem over the last year and has undoubtedly affected his performances. Should Darren decide to call it a day at the end of this season and to take advantage of a last good payday in the US I say good luck to him and thank him for all he has done for our club. He could go with his head held high and the support of the fans ringing in his ears.

Who is there at this club who has anywhere near the talent of Huckerby. He is the last player of outstanding ability here. We are not likely to see anyone arriving in the near future who can hold a candle to him. We have been left with a lot of very ordinary players. Unless there is substantial investment in the club it will stay that way. Pattison has arrived. He is nothing special yet so many people are eulogising over him.

We should enjoy Hucks whilst we can because I doubt if he will be at the club much longer. Even when he is not playing well he is still a potential threat.

Abuse is not acceptable towards a player who has given so much to this club. However are we really talking abuse.

My view is simple. If your good enough your old enough. If your not good enough then you should play because of what you did in the past.

The dilemma is whether Huckerby is still good enough I don''t think abuse comes in to it.

BTW I still think he''s good enough. But in football as in any business there is no room for sentiment. When he isn''t good enough in my view I''ll be asking for his removal from the team as other are now. That is there opinion.

[quote user="Barclay Man"]Hucks gives 110% every game...[/quote]

Are you blind or simply deluded???

Without getting too far into the subject, Hucks has been a great player, in some games he was the main reason we got the points, and on his day he scares any defender and is a major threat.

The problem is that we haven''t seen too much of this recently. On far too many occasions he''s simply jogging or walking down the wing looking somewhat disinterested in proceedings, and then when he has received the ball, what''s happened to the attacking threat? - half the time he''s simply wandered near the corner flag, passed it back or made a poor cross.

110% is a joke of a statement. It''s players like Pattison, Dublin, Holt and Andy Hughes that give you this, certainly not Hucks.

''Flair'' players rarely give 100% in a game due to the nature of their play, they''re amazing one minute, and often anonymous the next.

I find it incredible that a player who is starting to get past his best, is apparently meant to be excluded from criticism just because he''s played well previously.

I suppose you want fans to stop putting player match ratings up as well, as it''s unfair to give someone less than an 8 if they''ve been a committed servant to the club - regardless of current match performances???

I don''t agree with people who say things like (for example "people are slating him saying he should be out of the team, these people make me sick and arent true fans" - idiotic in the extreme), but then again, I also disagree with people who call him a "liability", or whatever. For some people it''s one extreme or the other, when the truth is (as usual) somewhere in the middle.

He isn''t beyond criticism at all - if he doesn''t perform then he shouldn''t be in the team, like at Palace for example - but on his day he is still the best player we have and it''s not as if we''ve got loads of great players to replace him with. He is unquestionably a legend and his attitude (like playing when he''s been injured) is fantastic, but he is not the player he once was and that''s not his fault - he''s had a hip problem and he''s not getting any younger, but teams still put two or three players on him which says a lot.

I personally think he''s been below par recently but I think he still has a lot to offer. Having said that he has no divine right to be in the starting line-up every game, no-one does, and I feel some of the criticism is justified.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

[quote user="Barclay Man"]Hucks gives 110% every game...[/quote]

Are you blind or simply deluded???

Without getting too far into the subject, Hucks has been a great player, in some games he was the main reason we got the points, and on his day he scares any defender and is a major threat.

The problem is that we haven''t seen too much of this recently. On far too many occasions he''s simply jogging or walking down the wing looking somewhat disinterested in proceedings, and then when he has received the ball, what''s happened to the attacking threat? - half the time he''s simply wandered near the corner flag, passed it back or made a poor cross.

110% is a joke of a statement. It''s players like Pattison, Dublin, Holt and Andy Hughes that give you this, certainly not Hucks.

''Flair'' players rarely give 100% in a game due to the nature of their play, they''re amazing one minute, and often anonymous the next.

I find it incredible that a player who is starting to get past his best, is apparently meant to be excluded from criticism just because he''s played well previously.

I suppose you want fans to stop putting player match ratings up as well, as it''s unfair to give someone less than an 8 if they''ve been a committed servant to the club - regardless of current match performances???

[/quote]A joke of a statement? Are you serious? Name me one other player that has contributed to Norwich winning football matches more than Darren Huckerby in the last 5 yrs. I remember his last match of his loan period against Cardiff, we won 4-1, Hucks scored and setup 3 goals, and his peformance was outstanding. This set the tone and he put in many more performances like it, and has done right up until this season. The 2nd half of last season he was superb, Blackpool and Birmingham at home in particular. This season he has struggled with injuries. He had no pre season and has had a niggling injury apparently all season. He hasnt set the world alight like he has in the past, but saying that what other player has so far this season? When your bottom of the league nobody is playing well.It seems to me that Hucks is getting lambasted purely because he hasnt been at his scintillating best this season. He is still giving it his all and having a go and the stick he''s getting is disgusting.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

so he should get in the team based on past glories then Blainsey?

jas :)

[/quote]

no but he shouldn''t be abused for not being as good as he was....

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Disgusting.

[/quote]give this man a medal,   i  100% agree.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

Disgusting.

[/quote]

Certainly if Hucks was actually being ''abused'' that would be several steps too far, but tbh all I have seen is people having their say that they think he has been poor for us recently.  And in that respect, everyone is entitled to their opinion - all players come in for stick at times and no one is or should be immune just because of who they are, otherwise what is the point of Boards like these.  If we are only ''allowed'' to comment on the current season''s scapegoat (ie Holt, who was replaced by Flem/Robbo, who was replaced by Doc) just what is the point? 

The main reason for my posting was to respond to your comment highlighted in pink.  To be perfectly honest, at the end of the day you''d have to say that no manager anywhere has ever consistently got the best out of Hucks, otherwise how is it that he was languishing in a pretty average Man City''s reserve team at the age of just 27/28 when we signed him?  That is a time in his career when he should have been in his prime.  That being the case, you do have to wonder whether the ''fault'' that he didn''t reach is potential lies with all those managers or himself (not that there is necessarily a ''fault'', some players simply never quite reach the potential others think is there).  Not that all this was a bad thing for NCFC, as we were able to sign the best player to have played for us in donkeys years.

For what it is worth, I (and I am sure you, if being honest) can see that Hucks has not been anywhere near as effective this season as last, and for me he wasn''t as good last season as the season before.  I just hope it isn''t a permanent fall in his playing standard as he has been without doubt our one class act for the last few years.  As for him winning the PFA player of the month award, he wasn''t even our best player in December so I haven''t a clue where the idea that he was the best in the Division came from (who on earth votes for these things?)!

If he''s past it, he''s past it. End of story. Nobody''s above criticsm.

But abuse?? Name, rank & serial no. please. I''ve not really noticed it to that.

Give him a gong, tell him thanky-thanky, and send him on his way.

It''s always a little sad when exceptional powers wane. But it happens even to the best of us.

I''m sure Glenn will know how to handle it when the time is right.

OTBC

there are 2 lines of thought on this thread.

1/  Those who say he is without doubt one of our finest recent players in NCFC history and his loyalty is one of the biggest credits a footballer has given in many years.

2/ Those who think it is time to ship him out because he is crap. bye bye.

I personally think that due to performances then yes by all means drop him to a bench role.  No problem with that..--- he would be INCREDIBLE as a 2nd half sub to shake up the opposition.  How many other teams in the championship would kill for a sub, let alone player, like that. 

It is very rare these days that any player commits such loyalty to a club.  For this reason i would HATE to see any posters/supporters lend a hand to push him out.  He has a role here for so many years surely just as a role model and still as a player.  If he leaves he deserves the biggest thank you.

just my thoughts.

Blainsey - I think you are being a little hysterical here, nobody is abusing Huckerby. Whether you like it or not Hucks has been below par for the last few games and no one but no one is bigger than the club. Hucks is one of my favourite players and I am not suggesting for one moment we should get rid of him, that said we should be planning for life without Hucks, and I think he will be a very hard act to follow.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Blainsey - I think you are being a little hysterical here, nobody is abusing Huckerby. Whether you like it or not Hucks has been below par for the last few games and no one but no one is bigger than the club. Hucks is one of my favourite players and I am not suggesting for one moment we should get rid of him, that said we should be planning for life without Hucks, and I think he will be a very hard act to follow.[/quote]

Just to reinforce SOB''s comments, you should try and stop living in the past and be brave enough understand and accept today''s situation. Hucks isn''t playing well and is being used as a result of that. If he improves then he will get picked more regularly and that''s fine, just like it is with any other player. You need to understand that because his name is Huckerby, he doesn''t have the right to start. If that were the case we would be in serious trouble as a club. We pick players based on current form and we don''t base it on what your name is.

If we continued to pick players who played well for us historically like Hucks, then we would also have Mulryne, Malky, Holt and Roberts in today''s starting eleven. Then we would be a league two side or worse. Is that what you want? Just so we keep playing the favorites? Think about it please.

Two recent posts.............

Hucks is finished......................replies 4.

This Hucks abuse disgusts me.............................replies (at time of posting) 24.

Its clear most people on this forum (the ones with brains larger than a pea anyway) still have alot of time for Huckerby. Blainsey, it disgusts the majority of us.

I''d bleed yellow and green for £12k a week (£17k in the Prem backdated to signature date)Give me a break. £12k a week for playing football and we cant vent our frustration? Get over it.

Playing with Hucks now is a luxuary. We are still not out of the relegation battle and can''t afford to play a player who cannot headder or tackle, leaving our left side vunerable. I love Huckerby and would love to see him continuing with us until Dions age, but every footballing legend has had to retire sometime (usually when they have lost their ability they are known for) and I dont think that Hux can make his amazing runs anymore. He is probarbly the highest payed player at city, and in my books he is not even the first name on the teamsheet anymore. Look at yesterday, we were playing a league two team and apart from a few runs in the first half, Huckerby did not even terrorise their left back much. Allthough it may be hard to take, I think most norwich fans need to admire the legend that he was and realise that the club has to move on.