Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Worthy to re-sign for Northern Ireland

Good on him. Regardless of what anyone says I always had time for him. After all he was one of the most successful managers we ever had.

(I await the nasty comments!!!)

make no mistake, worthy will have weighed up the situaashun, and seeing an absence of offers in his ''IN tray'' aside the irish job, gobble it up quicker than he would an ulster fry!!!  honour to represent your country etc...good like to the ole blarneymushti

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]make no mistake, worthy will have weighed up the situaashun, and seeing an absence of offers in his ''IN tray'' aside the irish job, gobble it up quicker than he would an ulster fry!!!  honour to represent your country etc...good like to the ole blarneymushti

[/quote]

The poor bast**d, having to make do with being the manager of his own country. Where did it all go wrong?

[quote user="Snuggles"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]make no mistake, worthy will have weighed up the situaashun, and seeing an absence of offers in his ''IN tray'' aside the irish job, gobble it up quicker than he would an ulster fry!!!  honour to represent your country etc...good like to the ole blarneymushti

[/quote]

The poor bast**d, having to make do with being the manager of his own country. Where did it all go wrong?

[/quote]it is northern ireland snuggs - if mandy had offered worthy the leicester job surely he''d have snaffled it up - ahead of ireland???

[quote user="Vern "]

Good on him. Regardless of what anyone says I always had time for him. After all he was one of the most successful managers we ever had.

[/quote]With you on this one Vern. Roeder is like Worthy in some ways - the only difference is he seems to have more ease speaking to the public than Worthy did. I say that because I remember Worthy refusing to name players that need to get their acts together other than a couple of times (Bently, Francis).And all of those supposedly quality players we let go in the summer, the ones that people loved to slate untill they were gone - who signed them ALL?Although I suppose you could argue he also let Russell go.

Good Luck Worthy! Not the greatest of managers that we''ve had but a good bloke who deserves success and did a great job turning us around. Not his fault the board didn''t part with him 18 months earlier

I was really hoping  he would get the job.  I know it may have ended in bad blood in general with us City fans but he has been the most sucessful manager I have seen in my time but I really wish him every success (not if they play England lol!) with the Northern Ireland job.

[quote user="Vern "]

[/quote]Nasty comments? No chance, Worthy was one of the best managers we''ve ever had, Playoff final in his first full season, and promotion to the Premiership.The year we won the league we played excellent football, he brought in real quality players in Huckerby, Francis, Holt, Svensson, Ashton etc. The year in the premiership was fantastic, the wins against Newcastle and Man Utd were worth relegation, and ill never forget them.Worthy should always be remembered for what he achieved, rather than his last year in charge.

[quote user="BarclayMan"]the wins against Newcastle and Man Utd were worth relegation[/quote]

I don''t think so, I''d have rather they both stuffed us 10-0 and we stayed up.

[quote user="sydneysider"]Good Luck Worthy! Not the greatest of managers that we''ve had but a good bloke who deserves success and did a great job turning us around. [/quote]

Not the greatest of managers we''ve ever had? What drugs are you on this month? Play-off final, promotion, almost staying up? Not exactly a crap CV is it?

almost isnt as good as "staying up"

The day Worthington sealed his exit from the Norwich Job (admittedly 2 years later) was the week leading up to the fulham Game.

All the teams in the bottom 4 had their managers rolled out on TV to give the usual interviews....Arry redknapp and Davros Dowie came out and said "we will do our best"... WBA''s chairman said "we WILL stay up.. we are fired up and ready for the game.. Bryan Robson can do it.. the players are good enough blah blah"

Nigel Worthington said "we are lucky to be here"

who would u rather of fought for after hearing those words? we were relegated as soon as he said that.... no fire in the belly... and it showed in that debacle.. the bad times far outweighed the good for Worthers unoriginal im afraid!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

almost isnt as good as "staying up"

[/quote]

Goes without saying Jas.

However it saddens me how people lose sight of what the Worthy era did for the club. The club was given its'' identity back- going to Wolves and Cardiff were fantastic experiences for everyone involved with the club, whilst the promotion season was a joy to watch. Yes, that game at Fulham was nothing short of a disaster, but those matches against West Brom, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Manchester Utd, etc, are games which I will never forget for all the right reasons, for entertainment value alone, not to mention the immense pride of winning those games.

Sometimes you have to simply forget the negatives, and remember the good times. Worthy should be remembered as one of the greatest managers in this clubs history in my opinion, for those reasons.

Worthy was certainly the best Norwich manager most of his critics on here will have seen and one of the best ever, judged on achievements and the progress the side made under him, which says something about his critics. Can''t argue with the stats, chaps.