Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

Managing by Principles rather than Personalities

On a previous thread(s) - 3 month contract for Zema in particular - I took a fair bit of stick because I advocated "Managing by Principles rather than Personalaties".
The following quotes by Sir Bobby Robson regarding a certain Mr Beckham would seem to vindicate my advocacy of this style -
"To succeed, England must help him out by treating the same as every other player, and not as a Special Case." - "A manager always has to be careful of not getting too close to individual players, no matter how big or famous. Otherwise you run the risk of riling the other team members." - "You can''t have one law for one and not another. I never gave preferential treatment to any of my players, such as Peter Shilton, Gary Linekar or Bryan Robson, even at Italia 90." - "Nobody should be exempt from criticsm when it is merited, or given extra freedom." - "I hope Sven makes it clear to Beckham, as he would to any other player, that he is not untouchable within the England camp. The important thing is that everyone is ''in the team'' and that they are treated as equals."
If such a famous person as Sir Bobby Robson "Manages by Pricnciples rather than Personalties" then I am quite happy to continue using the same style!!!

You''re right Fatman, another good example would be Alex Ferguson. Ince over stepped the mark and off he went. Same went for Beckham himself, he became too much of a celebrity - much to Fergusons annoyance, and off he went.

Basically a good manager takes no s**t. Nobody deserves special treatment. Although I don''t believe Worthy is giving Abbey this. He simply wants to see whether Abbey can cut it as he''s not sure. No more perfect way to do this than a short term contract, if he is still useless then he''s out. Simple.

FatMan Fat, having noticed how many posts you make during normal working hours, your management style appears to advocate abdication rather than delegation. Be careful, it will catch up with you.

Yankee - for all your attempts to stir up trouble I have I admit a quiet admiration - it has certainly kept this board ticking over at this quiet time of year - but to have a go at the Fatman because he is posting during working hours...silly, very silly!

So, lets start a revolution - no posts out of working hours allowed - although quite how that will affect DD, Mouse et al given that they are all workshy slackers living off a generous grant (JOKE GUYS!!!!!!) who don''t know what a "working hour" is, I don''t know!

I must say that given the attentions of two small children, I crave the sanctuary of the office to waste time surfing the Pink ''Un in peace & solitude! When I finish for the day, the last thing that I am going to do is head for the PC and spend even more time staring at the screen...

I understand your point Plastic Scouser. I also understand that regular folks will register a post here and there during "working hours". Please understand my point. My point is not made against those people. Most people will be reasonable and not overly abuse the situation. In any event, the extent to which they do is between their conscience and the rules of their employer. Nothing to do with me. The subject of this thread was raised initially by FatMan Fat on his first thread, where he advised all and sundry what a wonderful management style he has and how effective it is. He is coming back on this thread to provide additional support for his position. As he has brought his management style front and centre I feel it is fair game to challenge him on that very subject. My experience has been that top-class managers lead by example and I don''t think he demonstrates that. If he had stuck to a position on Zema Abbey ( or any other subject for that matter ) without telling us how wonderful he is I would not have made any comment on his management style.

Here''s one for you, managing by principles rather than by personalities. If (for instance), 50% of your workforce are smokers, and the other 50% don''t have a nicotine addiction. Now bearing in mind, I haven''t an issue with "dirty filthy tabbing employee''s". Do you penalise the smokers for nipping out for 5-10 mins, 4 or 5 times a working day? or do you say: "Ok folks, all the non-smokers can scarper an hour earlier than the yellow fingered, coughing & wheezing polluters of this company, as they require to make up our time, spent outside having their fags!". Even though your best mate is a chain-smoker, holds a senior position in the workforce and is excellent at what he does. Solution?..... :~(

Yup Fatman!, I totally agree! and only filthy puddle water, with weevil infested ships biscuits for their limited tea & lunch-breaks!. Rule with a rod of iron I say! and whip em'' to within an inch (or a couple of millimetres) of their measly & worthless lives, if the scurvy infested scum aren''t up to it!!!... ;~)

Also, if the worthless layabout''s wish to smoke, used dry tea-bags are the only things they can put to their sore & blistered lips!!!.

P.S. Forget their tea & lunch breaks, the can refresh their scrawny polluted bodies whilst being thrashed as a reward for being useless... "Now back on your pea-brained skulls you losers!". OTBC "Show em'' who''s BOSS!" ;~0)