Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Ever the bridesmaid?

Wasn''t the reason that Shawcross joined Stoke on loan rather than us something to do with Peter Grant refusing to guarantee Alex Ferguson that he would play every week? So presumably if Grant had been prepared to tell Ferguson a tiny little lie we might now have been in a decent position to sign him.

Water under the bridge really, and just another example of poor management from Peter Grant.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

BBC Sports website

Manchester United''s Ryan Shawcross is set to join Stoke for £1m. (various)

[:S]

OTBC

[/quote]

BBB, in the absence of Smudger you seem to be making a determined bid to become the resident misery guts posting nothing but negative sound bites lately - which is a pity as I remember you putting much more thought provoking stuff on in the past. 

In the summer we were (according to reports from quite a few sources in the press) close to getting Shawcross on loan however the player himself opted for Stoke because it was closer to home and also Man Utd were insisting that whoever he was loaned to virtually guarnateed him first team football.  There is not much anyone could do about the former and the latter was sensibly resisted.  Now Shawcross wants to stay somewhere he is used to and settled at, so so it is unlikely any bid is likely to tempt him elsewhere (perhaps some similarities to the Taylor/QPR situation?).

The club can be criticised for quite a few things but in this case I think they are not really to blame.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

BBC Sports website

OTBC

[/quote]

BBB, in the absence of Smudger you seem to be making a determined bid to become the resident misery guts posting nothing but negative sound bites lately - which is a pity as I remember you putting much more thought provoking stuff on in the past. 

In the summer we were (according to reports from quite a few sources in the press) close to getting Shawcross on loan however the player himself opted for Stoke because it was closer to home and also Man Utd were insisting that whoever he was loaned to virtually guarnateed him first team football.  There is not much anyone could do about the former and the latter was sensibly resisted.  Now Shawcross wants to stay somewhere he is used to and settled at, so so it is unlikely any bid is likely to tempt him elsewhere (perhaps some similarities to the Taylor/QPR situation?).

The club can be criticised for quite a few things but in this case I think they are not really to blame.

[/quote]Well said. I can''t believe the amount of numpties that think that every time a north-west based player turns us down it''s because we''ve done something wrong.Some of these players have a choice of TENS of clubs that they could play for without having to move house - and Norfolk is still considered a backwater by the rest of the country - it''s really that simple!BBB is just a Shmuck and Cudger wannabe, which he''ll never be ''cos no-one is that bi-polar (they''re the same person anyway).

BBC Sports website

OTBC

[/quote]

however the player himself opted for Stoke because it was closer to home and also Man Utd were insisting that whoever he was loaned to virtually guarnateed him first team football.  There is not much anyone could do about the former and the latter was sensibly resisted.  Now Shawcross wants to stay somewhere he is used to and settled at, so so it is unlikely any bid is likely to tempt him elsewhere (perhaps some similarities to the Taylor/QPR situation?).

[/quote]

Well, that''s if you swallow the CR PR pap. Failure has 100 excuses.

Did you know that Shawcross has scored 6 goals in 24 games for Stoke whilst on loan this season, and is rated 4th overall on th Actim Top 100 Championship Rankings plus 1st in the Actim Defender Rankings.

You said ''In the summer we were (according to reports from quite a few sources in the press) close to getting Shawcross on loan......''

And I suppose he could not have been ''guaranteed'' a place in the team over Shackell or Doherty or Uncle Tom Cobley?

Nice that he''s now at home in the fine city of Stoke though.

Sad that you don''t think that the situation with Shawcross is worthy of comment.

OTBC

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Wasn''t the reason that Shawcross joined Stoke on loan rather than us something to do with Peter Grant refusing to guarantee Alex Ferguson that he would play every week? So presumably if Grant had been prepared to tell Ferguson a tiny little lie we might now have been in a decent position to sign him.

Water under the bridge really, and just another example of poor management from Peter Grant.

[/quote]

and Alex Ferguson is an idiot and would of ignored that fact Shawcross wasnt playing would he?

theyd of recalled him and sent him elsewhere...

jas :)

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

BBC Sports website

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well said. I can''t believe the amount of numpties that think that every time a north-west based player turns us down it''s because we''ve done something wrong.
Some of these players have a choice of TENS of clubs that they could play for without having to move house - and Norfolk is still considered a backwater by the rest of the country - it''s really that simple!
BBB is just a Shmuck and Cudger wannabe, which he''ll never be ''cos no-one is that bi-polar (they''re the same person anyway).
[/quote]

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! Bingo!

Hit one in the pigsty.[:D]

Didn''t Hugo Chavez of Venezuela have something to say to your ilk the other day?

Talk about bipolar - your post is bipolar. Check it out.

One love.

OTBC

I think the main reason for him not coming here, was that he did not want to move this far away from his family and wanted to stay close to Madchester, I suppose you have to respect that in a way. Just because we did not get him, does not mean that if we did get him, he would have been a success here. Is this a case of, we don''t have him, didn''t get him and we can''t get him, so he he is the best thing since sliced bread? I''m not saying he is not any good, his stats prove otherwise, but this does not mean that he would have been a success.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

BBC Sports website

OTBC

[/quote]

however the player himself opted for Stoke because it was closer to home and also Man Utd were insisting that whoever he was loaned to virtually guarnateed him first team football.  There is not much anyone could do about the former and the latter was sensibly resisted.  Now Shawcross wants to stay somewhere he is used to and settled at, so so it is unlikely any bid is likely to tempt him elsewhere (perhaps some similarities to the Taylor/QPR situation?).

[/quote]

Did you know that Shawcross has scored 6 goals in 24 games for Stoke whilst on loan this season, and is rated 4th overall on th Actim Top 100 Championship Rankings plus 1st in the Actim Defender Rankings.

You said ''In the summer we were (according to reports from quite a few sources in the press) close to getting Shawcross on loan......''

And I suppose he could not have been ''guaranteed'' a place in the team over Shackell or Doherty or Uncle Tom Cobley?

Sad that you don''t think that the situation with Shawcross is worthy of comment.

OTBC

[/quote]

BBB why do you not give it a rest? The majority of your topics are getting lost in the sea of ambiguity.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

BBC Sports website

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

BBB why do you not give it a rest? The majority of your topics are getting lost in the sea of ambiguity.

[/quote]

Whaddya mean Bunny?

I must lie back & enjoy it?

Bottom part of the Championship?

Nobody has to read my posts - or respond for that matter. I''d be quite happy to write to myself, if it comes to that - it''s called anger management!

Ambiguity can be a fascinating state.

One love.

OTBC

We all must have realised by now that BlyBlyBabes is afflicted with the

internet equivalent of loving the sound of his own voice and will

therefore say anything remotely connected to NCFC.  Whether he

intends to inspire useful debate or pointless bickering is another

matter, but somehow I suspect the latter.

But still this does bring up a rather interesting point regarding the

possibility that a young player might not want to move to

Norfolk.  As a 26 year old who lived in Norwich for most of his

life and has since moved to Manchester, I can kind of see why. 

Let me explain, before some people start getting their knickers into a

twist.

Manchester is a City that is improving and growing every year.  It

has an abundance of bars and clubs catering to all tastes at relatively

cheap prices; it has an abundance of large and varied shops in the City

Centre and the Trafford Centre; it hosts a number of excellent museums

and art galleries, most of which are free and has 3 large Universities;

it has an excellent music scene, with at least 4 major venues;

sports-wise, it has 2 major Football teams as well as many League teams

such as Bury or Stockport nearby, and boasts a number of Olympic size

swimming pools, a cycling arena, and a number of rugby clubs; Numerous

large North West cities, such as Liverpool, Bolton, Sheffield and

indeed Stoke, are an hour or under away; it is on the doorstep of the

Peak District for the outdoor enthusiast, as well as being about 2

hours from the Lakes and Snowdonia; it has a major airport with

Liverpool and even Birmingham also close by, and it''s own rail links

are excellent; the BBC is so impressed, it is moving thousands of jobs

from London to Manchester in the coming years, with a large BBC

presence already in place alongside numerous other production

companies, such as Granada (Coronation Street); employment

opportunities abound!

Norwich is a beautiful city.  It has it''s castle and (count ''em)

two cathedrals; it has a few decent bars, but not much range in terms

of genre - it''s either chav Mercy or the Waterfront; it has two malls,

though one of these mostly sells shoes; it has an airport, true, but

this is smaller than many of the afore-mentioned shoe shops, and a

train station that is, almost literally, the end of the line; It has

one football team (albeit the best in the world), and a gym or two;

it''s closest cities are Ipswich and Cambridge; it has Anglia Television

and a few smaller production companies, and every employment

opportunity is overshadowed by the spectre of Norwich Union.

Now, don''t get me wrong, I love Norwich - it''s the city I grew up in

and I''ll always have fond memories of it, and hope to return one day

later in my life.  However, all of the above are just some of the

advantages that Manchester has over Norwich, from a personal point of

view.  The course I study has its spiritual home, and the best

department of its kind in the UK, at the UEA.  But I''ve always

lived in Norwich and I didn''t want to stay in the same place, I wanted

a challenge outside of Norfolk.  It is not the fault of anyone at

the UEA for not doing enough to convince me to stay, it is simply my

choice as a young man looking to make an impact in the world whilst

experiencing as much of it as I can.  Unfortunately, Norwich was

not the place for me and I don''t mind saying that after three and a

half weeks back in Norwich for xmas, I was bored to tears and couldn''t

wait to get back home!

Now try, if you can, to put yourself in the place of a young

footballer.  You have money, and probably girls, and your boss is

looking to loan you out to a club... where do you go? A small city in

the countryside some 250 miles away, ie Norwich? Or somewhere closer to

where you live, ie Stoke? Now Stoke is a godawful city, I''ll tell you

that for free (well, Newcastle is okay), but it''s a half-hour to an

hour commute for the young lad, who probably has a pretty nifty

car.  Even those footballers who do make it to Norwich and want a

night out in a big city have to head on down as a far as London, as

Damien Francis regularly did.

Once you put yourself in their place, you maybe start to realise that

maybe, just maybe, Norwich isn''t the best city in the world for a young

lad with big ideas and a bright future.

And, like it or not, this problem of "location, location, location" has

applied in many of the cases of us missing out on players in the past,

and will continue to do so for many years.  Until Norwich becomes

a seaside town, that is, then at least we''ll have a beach...[;)]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

BBC Sports website

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

So "babes" when can I expect a selection from you on the Free Bet Pages ? You do want to help our beloved Club don''t you ?  arrdee .

2 love. 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

Two points BBB

1. I never thought I would come across anyone who professes to know anything about football who would use the Actim Index as a basis for rational debate.  Let''s not forget these are the same ratings that claim Johnathon Walters of Ipswich is the best player in the Championship!  I rest my case.

2. No he could not have been "guaranteed" a place over anyone.  What sort of an idiot manager would allow themselves to be held to ranson in that way (even PTP wasnt that mad).  What if he had turned out to be useless?  You and others (myself included) would be scathing in our criticism of the manager and the board that had put us in the postion of having to play someone worse than our own players.  Hindsight is a wonderful gift, but at the time the decision was the right one.

Now try and cheer up a little - please [:P]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]We all must have realised by now that BlyBlyBabes is afflicted with the internet equivalent of loving the sound of his own voice and will therefore say anything remotely connected to NCFC.  Whether he intends to inspire useful debate or pointless bickering is another matter, but somehow I suspect the latter.

But still this does bring up a rather interesting point regarding the possibility that a young player might not want to move to Norfolk.  As a 26 year old who lived in Norwich for most of his life and has since moved to Manchester, I can kind of see why.  Let me explain, before some people start getting their knickers into a twist.

Manchester is a City that is improving and growing every year.  It has an abundance of bars and clubs catering to all tastes at relatively cheap prices; it has an abundance of large and varied shops in the City Centre and the Trafford Centre; it hosts a number of excellent museums and art galleries, most of which are free and has 3 large Universities; it has an excellent music scene, with at least 4 major venues; sports-wise, it has 2 major Football teams as well as many League teams such as Bury or Stockport nearby, and boasts a number of Olympic size swimming pools, a cycling arena, and a number of rugby clubs; Numerous large North West cities, such as Liverpool, Bolton, Sheffield and indeed Stoke, are an hour or under away; it is on the doorstep of the Peak District for the outdoor enthusiast, as well as being about 2 hours from the Lakes and Snowdonia; it has a major airport with Liverpool and even Birmingham also close by, and it''s own rail links are excellent; the BBC is so impressed, it is moving thousands of jobs from London to Manchester in the coming years, with a large BBC presence already in place alongside numerous other production companies, such as Granada (Coronation Street); employment opportunities abound!

Norwich is a beautiful city.  It has it''s castle and (count ''em) two cathedrals; it has a few decent bars, but not much range in terms of genre - it''s either chav Mercy or the Waterfront; it has two malls, though one of these mostly sells shoes; it has an airport, true, but this is smaller than many of the afore-mentioned shoe shops, and a train station that is, almost literally, the end of the line; It has one football team (albeit the best in the world), and a gym or two; it''s closest cities are Ipswich and Cambridge; it has Anglia Television and a few smaller production companies, and every employment opportunity is overshadowed by the spectre of Norwich Union.

Now, don''t get me wrong, I love Norwich - it''s the city I grew up in and I''ll always have fond memories of it, and hope to return one day later in my life.  However, all of the above are just some of the advantages that Manchester has over Norwich, from a personal point of view.  The course I study has its spiritual home, and the best department of its kind in the UK, at the UEA.  But I''ve always lived in Norwich and I didn''t want to stay in the same place, I wanted a challenge outside of Norfolk.  It is not the fault of anyone at the UEA for not doing enough to convince me to stay, it is simply my choice as a young man looking to make an impact in the world whilst experiencing as much of it as I can.  Unfortunately, Norwich was not the place for me and I don''t mind saying that after three and a half weeks back in Norwich for xmas, I was bored to tears and couldn''t wait to get back home!

Now try, if you can, to put yourself in the place of a young footballer.  You have money, and probably girls, and your boss is looking to loan you out to a club... where do you go? A small city in the countryside some 250 miles away, ie Norwich? Or somewhere closer to where you live, ie Stoke? Now Stoke is a godawful city, I''ll tell you that for free (well, Newcastle is okay), but it''s a half-hour to an hour commute for the young lad, who probably has a pretty nifty car.  Even those footballers who do make it to Norwich and want a night out in a big city have to head on down as a far as London, as Damien Francis regularly did.

Once you put yourself in their place, you maybe start to realise that maybe, just maybe, Norwich isn''t the best city in the world for a young lad with big ideas and a bright future.

And, like it or not, this problem of "location, location, location" has applied in many of the cases of us missing out on players in the past, and will continue to do so for many years.  Until Norwich becomes a seaside town, that is, then at least we''ll have a beach...[;)]

[/quote]

Well done, sir (ma''am?).

Your essay above will make a fine outline for a research topic on say ''The Urban/Rural Environment Dilemma of the Modern Young English Footballer with Respect to the Availability of Bling, Wags and Habs'' Versus Turkeys, Dumplings, Yarmouth and Dad''s Army'' - when you graduate that is (up north ffs!).

As for loving the sound of my own internet voice. Pot/black - and not snooker either.

One love.

OTBC 

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]We all must have realised by now that BlyBlyBabes is afflicted with the internet equivalent of loving the sound of his own voice and will therefore say anything remotely connected to NCFC.  Whether he intends to inspire useful debate or pointless bickering is another matter, but somehow I suspect the latter.

But still this does bring up a rather interesting point regarding the possibility that a young player might not want to move to Norfolk.  As a 26 year old who lived in Norwich for most of his life and has since moved to Manchester, I can kind of see why.  Let me explain, before some people start getting their knickers into a twist.

Manchester is a City that is improving and growing every year.  It has an abundance of bars and clubs catering to all tastes at relatively cheap prices; it has an abundance of large and varied shops in the City Centre and the Trafford Centre; it hosts a number of excellent museums and art galleries, most of which are free and has 3 large Universities; it has an excellent music scene, with at least 4 major venues; sports-wise, it has 2 major Football teams as well as many League teams such as Bury or Stockport nearby, and boasts a number of Olympic size swimming pools, a cycling arena, and a number of rugby clubs; Numerous large North West cities, such as Liverpool, Bolton, Sheffield and indeed Stoke, are an hour or under away; it is on the doorstep of the Peak District for the outdoor enthusiast, as well as being about 2 hours from the Lakes and Snowdonia; it has a major airport with Liverpool and even Birmingham also close by, and it''s own rail links are excellent; the BBC is so impressed, it is moving thousands of jobs from London to Manchester in the coming years, with a large BBC presence already in place alongside numerous other production companies, such as Granada (Coronation Street); employment opportunities abound!

Norwich is a beautiful city.  It has it''s castle and (count ''em) two cathedrals; it has a few decent bars, but not much range in terms of genre - it''s either chav Mercy or the Waterfront; it has two malls, though one of these mostly sells shoes; it has an airport, true, but this is smaller than many of the afore-mentioned shoe shops, and a train station that is, almost literally, the end of the line; It has one football team (albeit the best in the world), and a gym or two; it''s closest cities are Ipswich and Cambridge; it has Anglia Television and a few smaller production companies, and every employment opportunity is overshadowed by the spectre of Norwich Union.

Now, don''t get me wrong, I love Norwich - it''s the city I grew up in and I''ll always have fond memories of it, and hope to return one day later in my life.  However, all of the above are just some of the advantages that Manchester has over Norwich, from a personal point of view.  The course I study has its spiritual home, and the best department of its kind in the UK, at the UEA.  But I''ve always lived in Norwich and I didn''t want to stay in the same place, I wanted a challenge outside of Norfolk.  It is not the fault of anyone at the UEA for not doing enough to convince me to stay, it is simply my choice as a young man looking to make an impact in the world whilst experiencing as much of it as I can.  Unfortunately, Norwich was not the place for me and I don''t mind saying that after three and a half weeks back in Norwich for xmas, I was bored to tears and couldn''t wait to get back home!

Now try, if you can, to put yourself in the place of a young footballer.  You have money, and probably girls, and your boss is looking to loan you out to a club... where do you go? A small city in the countryside some 250 miles away, ie Norwich? Or somewhere closer to where you live, ie Stoke? Now Stoke is a godawful city, I''ll tell you that for free (well, Newcastle is okay), but it''s a half-hour to an hour commute for the young lad, who probably has a pretty nifty car.  Even those footballers who do make it to Norwich and want a night out in a big city have to head on down as a far as London, as Damien Francis regularly did.

Once you put yourself in their place, you maybe start to realise that maybe, just maybe, Norwich isn''t the best city in the world for a young lad with big ideas and a bright future.

And, like it or not, this problem of "location, location, location" has applied in many of the cases of us missing out on players in the past, and will continue to do so for many years.  Until Norwich becomes a seaside town, that is, then at least we''ll have a beach...[;)]

[/quote]

You''re 26 years old and still at university??

[/quote]

Two points BBB

1. I never thought I would come across anyone who professes to know anything about football who would use the Actim Index as a basis for rational debate.  Let''s not forget these are the same ratings that claim Johnathon Walters of Ipswich is the best player in the Championship!  I rest my case.

2. No he could not have been "guaranteed" a place over anyone.  What sort of an idiot manager would allow themselves to be held to ranson in that way (even PTP wasnt that mad).  What if he had turned out to be useless?  You and others (myself included) would be scathing in our criticism of the manager and the board that had put us in the postion of having to play someone worse than our own players.  Hindsight is a wonderful gift, but at the time the decision was the right one.

Now try and cheer up a little - please [:P]

[/quote]

No points, but 1/10 for effort.

[:P]

OTBC

Evil Monkey wrote the following post at 09/01/2008 5:49 PM:

We all must have realised by now that BlyBlyBabes is afflicted with the internet equivalent of loving the sound of his own voice and will therefore say anything remotely connected to NCFC.  Whether he intends to inspire useful debate or pointless bickering is another matter, but somehow I suspect the latter.

Perhaps the thread title is refering to the fact he doesn''t have the most interesting posts on the board ?

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

Evil Monkey wrote the following post at 09/01/2008 5:49 PM:

We all must have realised by now that BlyBlyBabes is afflicted with the internet equivalent of loving the sound of his own voice and will therefore say anything remotely connected to NCFC.  Whether he intends to inspire useful debate or pointless bickering is another matter, but somehow I suspect the latter.

Perhaps the thread title is refering to the fact he doesn''t have the most interesting posts on the board ?

[/quote]

Could be Stevie.

But then anything is possible.

Even that you may have an original thought one day in Dullsville.

Perhaps you should study the lengthy epistle my post provoked  from Mr/Ms Monkey.

One love.

OTBC

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

Perhaps you should study the lengthy epistle my post provoked  from Mr/Ms Monkey.

Where do you think I took the quote from, numbnuts ?

[/quote]

I said study, not glimpse Burnsey.

And why do you have to shout so?

One love.

OTBC

Yep, Evil is making a fair commentary here. Football in England is centred around the Conurbations on the whole, and we are a relative provincial backwater. This does link in to other issues. Even with the necessary ''ambition'' so oft talked of on this Board, it is more difficult to entince players to come here. Once they are here they can appreciate the area, but I always remember the story about Robert Fleck. The story goes he had to get out of Glasgow pretty quick, because of an personal indiscretion (shall we say), and he had not even heard of Norwich before he arrived! Not sure if it was ambition with me, but I left Norwich (a City I truly love) in 1989 and I do not regret doing so as I have enjoyed my travels. I even spent 3 years in Ipswich, but that is for another day.