Sign in to follow this  
Farkes The Herald Angels

Article from Malaysian Newspaper...

Saw this in The Star, Malaysia''s leading national newspaper. Looks like the tour could be a big thing there....

----

Eyeing top-flight glory

Kuala Lumpur - 30th April 2004

Norwich’s elevation to the Premier League would have been applauded not only by neutrals but certain corners of Malaysia where the club has garnered support since national car makers Proton’s move to sponsor the Canaries last May. FOOTBALLCHANNEL.COM reveals the shrewd management and strategies behind Norwich''s successful pormotion push.

IN EAST Anglia, the pride of place when football enthusiasts from the Norwich City and Ipswich Town camps put aside their domestic dust-ups and triumphs over the years, will belong to the outfit from Portman Road.

Norwich have yet to undermine Ipswich in Europe after their well-documented exploits in the UEFA Cup in the glories mid-1970s and early 1980s under Sir Bobby Robson who built the finest Ipswich Town team.

The Canaries’ sole claim to fame is to be the first-ever English team to beat Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium in the UEFA Cup in season 1993/94 in what proved to their all-time high. Little did Norwich supporters know then that the following campaign would be spent staving off relegation and culminate in their long exile from top flight football.

After nine years, the Canaries have soared back to the big time – now known as the Premier League – and it was achieved with much heartache. Last decade was a bleak period for the club as they fought tooth and nail against financial turmoil, let Martin O’Neill slip through their fingers after the Celtic manager resigned amidst boardroom struggles and greeted the return of loyal servant Mike Walker to helm the club for a second time.

Walker did not last long in his comeback as he lost his brave battle to take the club back into the major league and left Norwich less than a week before the end of the 1997/98 term, despite there being no pressure from the board.

While the managerial revolving door spun again at Carrow Road – current boss Nigel Worthington was their sixth appointment in six years in season 2000/01 – the most significant arrival at the club during the mid-1990s was that of celebrity cook Delia Smith and husband Michael Wynn Jones, when they became the club’s majority shareholder in November 1996.

Since then, the pair have spent around £7mil (RM47.6mil) of their own money on a club who are determined to continue budgeting within their means. The prudence-equals-promotion principle has paid off as Norwich emerged as the best among the family-oriented and fan-friendly outfits in Division One.

As well as their contributions, supporters have eagerly subscribed to share issues to raise money for projects such as the newly opened 8,000-seat stand, which has taken the capacity to 24,000.

Even the £2mil (RM13.6mil)-a-year hole in the club’s finances caused by the collapse of ITV Digital has been swallowed without the pain that has ripped the heart out of many of their First Division rivals. This is down to a combination of the club’s forward vision and aggressive marketing ventures, which also includes Delia’s Canary Catering.

Norwich’s two merchandise stores – supplemented by a mail order venture – yielded £1.4mil (RM9.52mil) last year and the turnover is expected to crash this mark with ease this season. As with other clubs, the bulk of the retail business – about 35% – is attributed to the sale of replica shirt sales.

The club’s best-selling shirt sale has been in the past two seasons – a total of 35,000 pieces were sold – guaranteeing kit sponsors and leading engine and sportscar producers Lotus Group, which is owned by Malaysian automobile manufacturers and parent company Proton, maximum brand exposure.

Considered as outsiders for a play-off place last Augus

Anyone else going to the game? We''re going down from Hong Kong - where shall we meet? Not sure what the local pubs are like.... not sure if ther are any local pubs! Luckily Malaysia is not strictly Muslim, so we can drink to our hearts content

Not going but spent a couple of months in Malaysia a few years back. KL and west coast are fine for drinking, it''s the east coast which is stricter, but it wins the best islands/beaches contest hands down.

The Midland Canaries will be well represented with 7 members of our supporters group having booked. We shall all be stopping in the Grand Plaza Park Royal in KL for the first week before flying up to Langkawi (Berjaya Beach and Spa)for a second week on the beach. Having read the article in the Preston programme, Norwich City Travel have set up a bar in KL that we shall make our own for the week. There is also a planned footie match between canary supporters and a local line up.

Me and the missus will be going, myself as part of the Midland Canary contingent and the missus representing Barnsley Football Club.

Her family aren''t too impressed that she is travelling all that way for a Norwich pre season tour, some may remember she was in Holland last season, so if you see her please be nice, I have been told by her family (all season ticket holders at Oakwell) that she has to wear her Barnsley top to each game. Am trying to build good relations between the two clubs so that her family still allow me to see her. They are also trying to get Iwan to sign for them!

Whilst we are out there it is both of our birthdays, so all those who are going, there will be big celebrations in the Norwich bar in KL on the 15th and Langkawi on the 19th (and 20th I believe Cannock Canary!). So be warned

See you in Sunderland

PS Don''t get into a drinking contest with her as she will drink you under the table, however if you want to try she will welcome the free drinks!!!!
PPS going to be one hell of a party

I''ve put this on other boards and am still trying to find out!

My housemate and I are travelling this summer and happen to be in Malaysia at the right time. Obviously I''m desperate to go to at least one of the games but don''t know how to go about getting tickets as I don''t want ot buy a tour package from the club. Don''t really want to leave it to buying tickets when we''re out there because would be absolutely gutted if we missed out. I know it''s a huge stadium but it''s always better to be safe than sorry!!

Anyone know how to get match tickets??? Please!?

Yeah I tried that. I got told that only those who were on the official tour would receive tickets from Proton and that I should contact the ticket office. They had no idea and suggested I should contact the Malaysian FA. Now waiting for a response.

What''s the stadium called we''re playing in? More interested about the game on the 17th.

OK, it sounds like quite a few people who live in / will be in Asia at the time of the match want to go, but don''t want to buy the package.

It''s not going to be a problem buying a ticket (in KL), but the point is we all should be in the same area.

Maybe we could contact the club ticket office for help - if they know that quite a few people fall into the above category then maybe they can reserve some tickets for us.

As I live in Hong Kong this could be difficult for me - would anyone else be prepared to pursue it with the club?

Hi Kevin Keelan, are you from Hong Kong? I am from Hong Kong to and can you leave a contact? My e-mail was: cklee16@yahoo.com.hk

Cheers!

David

I will be heading down to Malaysia from the hills of North Thailand, and are trying to find out ...
1) Where are people going to meet up? Have you heard any thing, or do you have any suggestions?
2) Tickets - is it going to be ok to just turn up for tickets, obviously I want to make sure for definite that I get a ticket, and I''d rather be in with Canaries fans

I am looking forward to hearing first hand accounts of the fantastic season I just missed, and also the frustrations of others who missed out for geographical reasons!
cheers
Stuart