the reason the GK coach left?

Am I alone in wondering if:

Lewis product of the yth setup not wanting to leave

+

A well respected coach who garnered his talent for many years

+

A club who decide to sell him to raise capitol

=

The reason our goalkeeping coach departed in a cloud of ominous silence?

Or am I just cynical?

I do not think you are being cynical, I heard about a week ago that he was not happy about the sale of Joe Lewis and posted the question on this forum but was acused of starting a rumour, well I have no proof but what I heard seems very likely given the silence from the club.

I still feel in the long term it could turn out the right decission is one of the other youngster breakes through in the next couple of years

That''s my reading of it, Rev, and I don''t like it whatever the justification may be put forward by the Club.

Nice to hear from you again Vic''

No you are not alone , I too am thinking that way .

Whilst this appears to be good business financially it still leaves a nasty taste.

What does it say to loyal managerial staff or to other promising youth players ?

I thought exactly the same when I read the article on the PinkUn today Rev.Disappointing that we are too poor to be able to turn the Lewis offer down.

im sure Clint and his amazing bottle of Tabasco Sauce will be able to tell us.. after all.. he is privy to the most redciluos news regarding Strihavka ever!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

im sure Clint and his amazing bottle of Tabasco Sauce will be able to tell us.. after all.. he is privy to the most redciluos news regarding Strihavka ever!

jas :)

[/quote]

lol Jas we are just going to have to wait for the paper tomorrow to see what porkies the board have been feeding us poor deluded fans. [:D]

Well, if it''s acceptable to post points of view that look harshly upon our club then, presumably, it''s also acceptable to post an opposing theory in defense of the club. The biggest challenge I sensed Glenn Roeder thought he faced when arriving was too many of the playing personnel not displaying the level of committment/dedication given the size of the club and the difficult circumstances the club finds itself in. One anecdote I recall was when more effort was being called for in training sessions, after observing some of the younger players standing around laughing, Glenn stared at them with a stony face before turning his back and walking way. Glenn knew he had a culture to change. His recent challenge to Chris Martin is another example of that.

Now, none of us know the background behind what went on with James Hollman in leaving the club just before Christmas or Joe Lewis leaving shortly after, but there are a number of things that strike me. First, the club has demonstrated over a long period that, if anything, it is extremely loyal to its coaching staff and patient and loyal with young players that were coming through the ranks. The fact that neither the club or Mr. Hollman had anything to say on his departure speaks volumes. Joe Lewis has never been spoken of by anyone associated with the club or its fans as anything but an emerging talent that would hopefully play a big part in the club''s future. Picking up a comment by Glenn Roeder ( posted by Pete the moderator a month ago ) he said, "In my own mind I want to bring him back in the new year because I have not had a chance to see him in action yet and I want to see what he is like."

Now, reading the article on Joe Lewis by Michael Bailey today, Joe was quoted as saying: 

“The reason I came back from Morecambe was that I wanted to come back and fight for my place. I had a couple of days off ill, then one day''s training when I had the phone call from Glenn to say they''d accepted an offer; he''s paid to make decisions like that” and, "To be honest, I don''t feel like I have got anything to prove to Glenn Roeder. He never saw me play, so he obviously couldn''t form an opinion on my ability, which is partly why I was a bit shocked."

Now, it may well have been that Joe was ill but, coming around the holiday time as his term with Morecambe was coming to an end, it does cause one''s imagination to kick into gear when you see a young goalkeeping talent and his coach quickly exiting the club with such short notice. At the very least it''s highly coincidental and it certainly does not match the club''s long record in dealing with coaches and emerging talent or what Glenn Roeder recently said about Joe Lewis. I''m content to let the matter rest and trust the club in such matters.

I dont think this is too wide off the mark. My source is pally with Holman and all he could say the other week was.....

"the sooner Doncaster goes the better! Norwich can then go forward!"

Holman and Doomo never saw eye to eye and its starting to make sense that this was possibly the reason! This was the guy who told me about Lewis and Tommy Wright.

I will do some more probing and let you all know shortly.I''ll get it out of him!

I tend to agree with you, Yankee, I find it rather disturbing how many seem to want to see the club in the worst light all the time. 

Frankly, Managers and Coaches come and go in football all the time, having almost always been sacked for one reason or another, so I can''t quite follow what it is that is so bothersome about our goalkeeping coach leaving - whatever the reason was isn''t really that important.  And if anything, I am pleased that the club and Hollman himself seem to have kept a dignified silence rather than babbling to the press ad nauseum as some would have done.  At the end of the day, I too think the matter should be left to rest.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I tend to agree with you, Yankee, I find it rather disturbing how many seem to want to see the club in the worst light all the time. 

Frankly, Managers and Coaches come and go in football all the time, having almost always been sacked for one reason or another, so I can''t quite follow what it is that is so bothersome about our goalkeeping coach leaving - whatever the reason was isn''t really that important.  And if anything, I am pleased that the club and Hollman himself seem to have kept a dignified silence rather than babbling to the press ad nauseum as some would have done.  At the end of the day, I too think the matter should be left to rest.

[/quote]

If you find rumour, tittle tattle, chatter, wayward ludicrous unfounded and unsubstantiated comment etc, on an Internet football forum ''disturbing''......I really do think you need to get out more......Frankly.[:|]

Oh, and I do wonder what the real reason''s are - why Hollman is no longer at the club.......

[/quote]

Who suggested the transfer fees of Etuhu and Earnshaw would be added to the transfer budget?

Who raised fans expectations about signing players at the end of previous seasons?

Who raised fans expectations about signing players in the summer after our relegation from The Prem.?

All talk, bugger all delivery!

Not surprised the fans are reacting. 

I was very surprised when Gilks was signed as I thought Joe was ready to make the step up to reserve GK. Very disappointing to see a promising local lad shown the door, one who has been with the club since eight years old and a season ticket holder to boot. What message does it send to the other Acadamy players who still need to pull their finger out? Damned if you do, damned if you don''t.

Yes, I assume Holman leaving is connected with Lewis leaving.

[/quote]

Only if it''s cauterised somehow and not allowed to fester.

OTBC

Let''s face it he weren''t going to play in the first team, you have Marshall there... And then Gilks and Lewis - would we get 400k for gilks and a decent sell on clause?  No.  Yes Lewis was a youngster but if he''s going to be second or third choice does it really matter?  I often moan and am cynical about the club but I won''t on this one it made sense to me.

If GR appoints an amazingly good GK coach no-one will complain then.. Hollman leaving was just one of them things that happens all the time in football (as BP said)

I agree with Yankee there is too much read into all this.

In respect of Lewis, there was a good offer on the table, and as I understand it could be worth as much as £700,000 plus a 40% sell on clause.  He was battling for second choice with Gilks, Marshall is stuck on first choice at the moment.  Marshall is only 2 years older than Lewis and at 22 if he stays could be our 1st choice GK for the next 10 years.  Where was Lewis'' chance going to come?  We were overly heavy in the GK dept with youngsters coming through as well, and made good footballing business sense to accept Peterboro''s offer.

As mentioned perhaps Roeder is not impressed with the attitude of a lot of the youngsters and they need their ideas bucking up.  This, together with the public dressing down of Martin, could start to do just that.

Before I judge the Holman departure I am waiting to hear who is permanent replacement is going to be, hasn''t the Tommy Wright rumour been dismissed?

There was a piece in the Evening News a couple of weeks back.

Roeder stated he was happy with the academy set up, thought other clubs were jealous at the wealth of young goalkeepers we had at our disposal, and didn''t plan to make any more changes in the near future after bringing in Paul Stephenson.

A couple of days later, it becomes clear Hollman isn''t around. Something has clearly happened, and I don''t believe it has anything to do with Joe Lewis. I believe there would be incentives for both sides to be wary of saying too much.

We shall see.

Hi.. I posted on this board for around the time Jim Hollman left the club just to confirm he had. I have monitored it since as I know him and wanted to see what reaction if any the fans had to him leaving. Its nice to see he seems fairly well liked..

Anyway I can confirm that his leaving and joe lewis leaving is totally unrelated and just a coincidence. As for the silence from him and the club well that tells its own story, they reached an agreement and thats it... move on no need to say anymore..

[quote user="yellow hammer"]

What message does it send to the other Acadamy players who still need to pull their finger out?

[/quote]It says they too can stuff £60k into their pocket for signing on the line......

[quote user="iusedtobegood"]

Hi.. I posted on this board for around the time Jim Hollman left the club just to confirm he had. I have monitored it since as I know him and wanted to see what reaction if any the fans had to him leaving. Its nice to see he seems fairly well liked..

Anyway I can confirm that his leaving and joe lewis leaving is totally unrelated and just a coincidence. As for the silence from him and the club well that tells its own story, they reached an agreement and thats it... move on no need to say anymore..

[/quote]I''m glad about that, but still sorry that Lewis has gone. I agree about the business reasons for him going, but football is more than a business. To let go a talented and dedicated young player who''s always wanted to play for this Club just feels wrong. The thought of Chris Martin wasting the opportunity that was denied Joe Lewis makes me even more angry now.

[quote]Hi.. I posted on this board for around the time Jim Hollman left the club just to confirm he had. I have monitored it since as I know him and wanted to see what reaction if any the fans had to him leaving. Its nice to see he seems fairly well liked..

Anyway I can confirm that his leaving and joe lewis leaving is totally unrelated and just a coincidence. As for the silence from him and the club well that tells its own story, they reached an agreement and thats it... move on no need to say anymore..[/quote]

Am I correct in thinking 9Rumour) that the club was probably right in getting rid. I think James did a fantastic in his time here and would like to thank him for his efforts and wish him well for the future......but I am led to believe that the club had little choice.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Now, it may well have been that Joe was ill but, coming around the holiday time as his term with Morecambe was coming to an end, it does cause one''s imagination to kick into gear when you see a young goalkeeping talent and his coach quickly exiting the club with such short notice. At the very least it''s highly coincidental and it certainly does not match the club''s long record in dealing with coaches and emerging talent or what Glenn Roeder recently said about Joe Lewis. I''m content to let the matter rest and trust the club in such matters.

[/quote]

Yankee, I can assure you with 100% certainty that Joe Lewis was ill when he returned to Carrow Road from Morecambe.

Still trying to get to the bottom of whether there was a link between Hollman''s and Joe''s departures.