Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

matty patty - holt mk2???

i''ve not seen a city midfielder hassle and cover back  in the same way as gary holt  since matty patty played centre mid last week against wolves.  on 3-4 occasions, just when it seemed wolves players had broken free and were threatening the back 4, suddenly matty would appear and avert the danger - just as holty used to.  obviosuly matty hasn''t grown the extra 3rd lung just yet - but i''ve seen enough from him to believe we have a great young prospect who could develop into a key player for city.  as his stamina and fitness improves - expect to see great lung bursting and match winning performances from the boy.  not only that, and unlike holty, he''s capable of putting quality ball in and creating goal scoring chances.  holty was ex-forces - so i suggest sending matty on a marines training course during the summer break - the boy should come back a man and  be fit and ready to follow in holty''s footsteps!!!top 6 next year - you bet!!!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"] holty was ex-forces -

[/quote]Yeah.... catering. He was rubbish, the worst game was at palace when Shacks played left back and had a mare...... Safri was a different class...... I''ll always remember Grant for stitching up Safri

Too many seem to have alreay forgotten the year we got the Play Off finals...Holt was immense that season and one of the main reasons we got there. Also the Championship winning season too.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="lucky green trainers"]

holty was ex-forces -

[/quote]

Yeah.... catering.

He was rubbish, the worst game was at palace when Shacks played left back and had a mare......

Safri was a different class...... I''ll always remember Grant for stitching up Safri
[/quote]

good job this game is about opinions, Holt was a decent player and Safri was over rated - my opinion.

People forget that he was pretty much an ever present when we got promoted, now if he was sh*t we wouldn''t have gone up, you simply cannot carry a bad central midfielder and be successful.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i''ve not seen a city midfielder hassle and cover back  in the same way as gary holt  since matty patty played centre mid last week against wolves.  on 3-4 occasions, just when it seemed wolves players had broken free and were threatening the back 4, suddenly matty would appear and avert the danger - just as holty used to. 

obviosuly matty hasn''t grown the extra 3rd lung just yet - but i''ve seen enough from him to believe we have a great young prospect who could develop into a key player for city.  as his stamina and fitness improves - expect to see great lung bursting and match winning performances from the boy.  not only that, and unlike holty, he''s capable of putting quality ball in and creating goal scoring chances. 

holty was ex-forces - so i suggest sending matty on a marines training course during the summer break - the boy should come back a man and  be fit and ready to follow in holty''s footsteps!!!

top 6 next year - you bet!!!

[/quote]

Well lets all hope Patty can do one thing that Holt was not capable of , that''s making one tackle with his stay at the City .arrdee.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"] 

He was rubbish, the worst game was at palace when Shacks played left back and had a mare......

[/quote]

Um...an early contender for most ridiculous post of 2008?

Holty might not have been up to the Premiership, especially with one of his three lungs full of blood, but he was simply outstanding in the play-off year and almost as good the year we won the championship.

If Matty-Patty has half the influence on NCFC that Gary Holt had, he''s a bargain, whatever Roeder paid.

Holty was one of our most consistent players in both the playoff and title winning seasons, anyone who thinks he was that poor obviously has a very poor memory, ive never seen one player cover so much ground week in week out, and although his passing was abysmal for a professional football, he was a commited and solid tackler.

Hes here...hes there...hes every f*ckin where..Gary Holt..Gary Holt!!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

[/quote]

Holty might not have been up to the Premiership, especially with one of his three lungs full of blood, but he was simply outstanding in the play-off year and almost as good the year we won the championship.

If Matty-Patty has half the influence on NCFC that Gary Holt had, he''s a bargain, whatever Roeder paid.

[/quote]

I am with you on this one Robert - Holt was a genuine albeit technically limited individual who was awesome for us at this level.

Some short memories... I seem to remember a lot of people saying that Holt was one of the best value for money players we''ve ever had.  He was immense until we got into the premier league and that (young) Sol Campbell esc run against Brum in the play-off final still makes me smile :-)

He may well have been capable of doing a reasonable job in the premier league but for picking up a nasty illness that robbed him of his 3rd lung... but we''ll never know.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

[/quote]

[/quote]very true RNL.holty came hot on the heels of the hamilton debacle - and became a key player in our come-back, culminating in a playoff final and champsionship winners.  his fall was equally scary - after relegation stepping down a further league. but holty conducted himself with honesty and dignity - he didn''t try to stay in the background picking up a prem pay packet for nowt - we had jason jarrett for that!!!  he''s also attended city matches in the jarrold since, with the sons decked in city colours - mostly unnoticed/ignored by the city crowd - takes balls to do that, much respect to gary as a man/human being.for me - patty could do/be the same for city, arriving as he did on the back of the grant fiasco - when city were again at a low point (to say the least).  the boy is as serious bargain, and if roeder can pick up more of his ilk - then soon we''ll all be laughing again!!!

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

I am with you on this one Robert - Holt was a genuine albeit technically limited individual who was awesome for us at this level.

[/quote]

Exactly right.   Limited, yes, but always gave it his all - not dissimilar to the Doc, in many ways.

...and I remember the weekly tirade of messageboard of abuse against 3 lungs - his one great fan was the Honk Kong kid who seemed wierdly infatuated with him.Take a look at match reports for our last 10 games in the Prem. It was at that point Worthington realised his mistake, dropped Holt and put Safri in. We were a different team.If I had to blame one decision that sent us down it was not playing Safri earlier.How anyone blamed him for absence during Ramadan was incredible. Again and again he declared himself fit to play, as he has done all his life as do 1000''s of Muslims. Oh... and he got picked for his country, what a crime.Great player. One of the best midfielders ever to grace the shirt. Knew him quite well too, really nice man, he''s a mate of T07 (no longer on the board thanks to Moderator)

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Take a look at match reports for our last 10 games in the Prem. It was at that point Worthington realised his mistake, dropped Holt and put Safri in. We were a different team.[/quote]

Yes but no-one was talking about his performances in the Prem, but when he was playing with us in Division One, so I don''t quite know what your point is.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="lucky green trainers"]

holty was ex-forces -

[/quote]

Yeah.... catering.

Safri was a different class...... I''ll always remember Grant for stitching up Safri
[/quote]

Rose coloured goggles

nearly every game safri would give possesion away in our final third i lost count of the number of times droped us in it

an above average player iam sorry to say goes into the (best thing about him was his song box)

holt while not being the most gifted player in the world would hussle win balls and cover back well only problem i had was when he tried

to play football all you wanted him to do was win the ball and pass it simple

a different class you have to talking someone of ian crooks stature or andy townsend / ruel fox

as for stiching up wasnt safri late by several hours for the pre season photo shoot because he was picking up his agent while trying to find a way out of norfolk asap

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]...and I remember the weekly tirade of messageboard of abuse against 3 lungs - his one great fan was the Honk Kong kid who seemed wierdly infatuated with him.Take a look at match reports for our last 10 games in the Prem. It was at that point Worthington realised his mistake, dropped Holt and put Safri in. We were a different team.If I had to blame one decision that sent us down it was not playing Safri earlier.How anyone blamed him for absence during Ramadan was incredible. Again and again he declared himself fit to play, as he has done all his life as do 1000''s of Muslims. Oh... and he got picked for his country, what a crime.Great player. One of the best midfielders ever to grace the shirt. Knew him quite well too, really nice man, he''s a mate of T07 (no longer on the board thanks to Moderator)[/quote]Safri was too hit and miss, Holt was a far more important player during his Norwich career, I hope Matty P plays with the sort of commitment of Gary Holt. Face it, Safri was inconsitent and over-rated, he wouldn''t be in many peoples top Norwich players lists would he?

Too many people remember Holty only for his poor performances in the Prem, where he mainly looked out of his depth, but had the manager realised that sooner then he wouldn''t have look such a muppet out there each week for so long!What I''ll always remember Holty for are his season for the Play-Offs and for his partnership with Francis in the promotion push, both great examples of the way he played, as "The Reducer".  So he couldn''t pass but he was always there, hassling and harrying and popping up at the right time.  Holt wasn''t technically good, but made up for it with sheer effort and persistence.  He never gave a game up, and that made him twice the footballer of some of these young, fragile upstarts who can do 1000 keepy-ups and dribble 100 yards but then fall over and take a breather...

If I had to blame one decision that sent us down it was not playing Safri earlier.

How anyone blamed him for absence during Ramadan was incredible. Again and again he declared himself fit to play, as he has done all his life as do 1000''s of Muslims. Oh... and he got picked for his country, what a crime.

Great player. One of the best midfielders ever to grace the shirt. Knew him quite well too, really nice man, he''s a mate of T07 (no longer on the board thanks to Moderator)

....and you only need to see how Southampton have done since we sold him to see the influence on a team Safri has!

IMHO he was good but no where near as good as some on here make him out.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

If I had to blame one decision that sent us down it was not playing Safri earlier.

How anyone blamed him for absence during Ramadan was incredible. Again and again he declared himself fit to play, as he has done all his life as do 1000''s of Muslims. Oh... and he got picked for his country, what a crime.

Great player. One of the best midfielders ever to grace the shirt. Knew him quite well too, really nice man, he''s a mate of T07 (no longer on the board thanks to Moderator)

....and you only need to see how Southampton have done since we sold him to see the influence on a team Safri has!

IMHO he was good but no where near as good as some on here make him out.

[/quote]

I think that not using WLY, who was IMO at the time a true Prem class player during that season had a bigger effect on our performance and results than not playing Safri. A scandalous waste of talent from NW for no more than personal reasons I believe. Surely WLY''s guile would have conjured up a win from a draw or a couple of draws from defeats somewhere in the season and as we all know that''s pretty well all we needed to survive.

Holt was an immense player at this level. I''ve yet to see a player at this level with the same workrate, speed, super tackling and marking that he had. For those who don''t remember him pre-prem he was like a bouba diop in the middle. Nothing ever used to get past him and many top players were outplayed by him. I''m fondly remember his super-sonic 35 yard thunderbolt winner against burnley in our play-off season. Personally I think the injury was what done him. I think he had the talent to play in the premiership and could have been a midfield destroyer. He''s not been the same player since and I think it''s one of those injuries that takes a bit out of you forever.

[/quote]Ask Saints fans on Rivals then.....  You''re deluded if you think one person is responsible for the performance of a team.....Holt was awful. Never found his man, played way too deep even when Francis needed a rest.....hoofed it out of play or to the wrong colour shirt every single time. Arghhhh dont bring back the memories..... Gillingham away anyone?

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

[/quote]

Ask Saints fans on Rivals then.....  You''re deluded if you think one person is responsible for the performance of a team.....

Holt was awful. Never found his man, played way too deep even when Francis needed a rest.....hoofed it out of play or to the wrong colour shirt every single time. Arghhhh dont bring back the memories..... Gillingham away anyone?
[/quote]

If he was so bad, how come he played every single match of both the play-off season (winning player of the season too) and the title-winning season? If you win a league you can''t be playing "awful" players for every minute of the season.

Looks like you''re the deluded one here.

[/quote]

Ask Saints fans on Rivals then.....  You''re deluded if you think one person is responsible for the performance of a team.....

Holt was awful. Never found his man, played way too deep even when Francis needed a rest.....hoofed it out of play or to the wrong colour shirt every single time. Arghhhh dont bring back the memories..... Gillingham away anyone?
[/quote]

Don''t know what you are on AB2HFFS but Holt was a very good player for Norwich City.  Technically gifted no, but by heck his workrate was phenomenal.  Alongside Francis, who was technically gifted but lazy, he was awesome.  Sure he gave the ball away, but when he did he was on top of the receiving player faster than anything.  I have never seen player cover as much ground as Gary Holt.  You need a player like that in your side, a hassler and a grafter.  Holt ticked both boxes.

He was exceptional for us in this division.  Lacked the quality for the prem maybe, never the same player again after his lung injury.

I liked him alot and struggle to understand why anyone would slate him.

[/quote]

Better than us! [;)]

But agreed in essence, he is no messiah, but our performances when has injured or dropped (For Bobinson by the awful Grant) were significantly worse.  I think we only won about 4 or 5 games in his whole time here when he did not start!!

Fotheringham is proving again the need for a ball playing midfielder.

Gary holt was a decent player for us in the championship and one of the reasons we went up... i do agree he was shocking in the premiership... a bridge too far for him perhaps.

jas :)

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Too many people remember Holty only for his poor performances in the Prem, where he mainly looked out of his depth, but had the manager realised that sooner then he wouldn''t have look such a muppet out there each week for so long!

What I''ll always remember Holty for are his season for the Play-Offs and for his partnership with Francis in the promotion push, both great examples of the way he played, as "The Reducer".  So he couldn''t pass but he was always there, hassling and harrying and popping up at the right time.  Holt wasn''t technically good, but made up for it with sheer effort and persistence.  He never gave a game up, and that made him twice the footballer of some of these young, fragile upstarts who can do 1000 keepy-ups and dribble 100 yards but then fall over and take a breather...
[/quote]

Here, here. 100% spot on!!!! I couldn''t have said it better myself, Evil Monkey

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Too many people remember Holty only for his poor performances in the Prem, where he mainly looked out of his depth, but had the manager realised that sooner then he wouldn''t have look such a muppet out there each week for so long!

What I''ll always remember Holty for are his season for the Play-Offs and for his partnership with Francis in the promotion push, both great examples of the way he played, as "The Reducer".  So he couldn''t pass but he was always there, hassling and harrying and popping up at the right time.  Holt wasn''t technically good, but made up for it with sheer effort and persistence.  He never gave a game up, and that made him twice the footballer of some of these young, fragile upstarts who can do 1000 keepy-ups and dribble 100 yards but then fall over and take a breather...
[/quote]

Can''t argue with that!

I rated Safri too (especially in comparison to Robinson, Jarrett and Hughes who also graced carrow road during his time here!) but can imagine Worthy picking Holt ahead of him based on his workrate. I''m sure we all remember how Worthy used to harp on about our ''hard-working and honest players'' after we''d been well beaten! 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep spot on you lovely old boy . How could anyone say Holt was tough tackling ? You are making me laugh . I don''t care how good as  a midfield player you are whether you are Lampard , Gerrard, Joe Cole or whoever , you will always mistime a tackle and get booked , when did Holt get booked ? Its a simple enough question when did Holt get booked ? I will tell you the answer ,never . Its simple because he never tackled anyone he would run beside the player with the ball pointing to some distant spot which I could never understand . He would accompany the player . O.K. he got in the way a time or two and was of nuisance value but he had nothing in attack ,In fact he had a fault  which you try and knock out of every 12 year kid he ran with his head down looking at the ball so there was never going to be an end product , which proved right , only it was almost  a season before Worthington saw this and by then it was to late we had given to many points away. arrdee

Holt was a good championship player - he just wasn''t good enough on the ball for the prem. Always thought if you merged him and Mulryne together you would have a really good player.

I didn''t like Safri in the championship - too niggly, too many fouls, too many moans, never really rolled up his sleeves to battle.

Have high hopes for Pattison