Sign in to follow this  
Canary Pirate

What rules would you change !

In a recent M.O.T.D. commentary following a foul on Solano in the penalty area John Motson said " well he''s not going to get a penalty from an innocuous challenge like that in that part of the area ". WHY ? if it was a foul and if it''s in the penalty area it doesn''t matter WHICH part its in, it should be a penalty kick ( else they might as well reduce the size of the penalty area ).

With this in mind I wondered what rules you would change to improve the game, here are a few of mine ;

1) Goalkeeper must not hold on to the ball for longer than six seconds. Unless they apply the rule, drop it, David Marshall always takes at least 10 seconds before he gets rid.

2) Don''t give the goalkeeper a free kick every time he comes into contact with an opponent, he can use his arms for gawdes sake !

3) Offside rule, well you can''t change that can you, its been changed too many times already and now nobody understands it ( so, at least whatever your opinion WE ARE ALL RIGHT ! ).

Over to you !

I would like to see a rule change when a defender can shield an attacking player from the ball as ir runs out for a goal kick.  IMO this is obstruction as in almost every case the defender is not making any attempt to play the ball. 

If this happened in the middle of the pitch the referee would blow for a foul almost everytime.  I think if defenders were forced to play the ball in those situations it would make for a more exciting attacking game...

What do you all think???

Well for starters I''d enforce the foul and abusive language rule - I''m sick of seeing players launching verbal outbursts at referees. If the FA actually encouraged referees to apply the letter of the law rather than turning a blind eye, the players would soon learn. It''d be chaos for a few weeks and you''d probably end up with eight-a-side, but before long players would be hauling their team-mates away from the referee, rather than joining in the intimidation. They should implement a rule that only the captain is allowed to speak to the referee, like in rugby. It''s disgusting the way footballers talk to officials, and it filters down to the grass-roots level. It''s endemic throughout football in this country, and sooner or later there will be no referees left!

The FA to be able to fine teams points based on the conduct of their players, so the next time a referee is surrounded by eight Chelsea/Manchester United/Sheffield United players complaining about a decision, they are dicing with a three point deduction for bringing the game into disrepute.

Transfer fees to be capped at (say) £10 million.  Wages to be capped similarly.Prudent spending on infrastructure rather than playing staff to be rewarded with a points bonus at the end of every season, depending on the quality of the hotel/restaurant/car park/travel shop.

The offside rule in todays fast game is not practical, can a linesman see the exact moment the ball is struck whether a player is offside No. Perhaps the offside rule should only apply inside the eighteen yard box.

For every foul that is committed that requires a player to leave the field the person committing the foul should also leave the field.

A player that requires treatment and is required to leave the field of play should remain of the field of play for as long as treatment was required (this would reduce time wasting).

The amount of extra time to be played should be decided by an independent observer and not a referee that cant tell the difference between three and ten minutes.

1.  Change the ridiculous law that allows a defender to blatantly obstruct an attacker on the pretext of shepherding the ball out.  Come to think about it, I can''t remember any free-kicks being given for obstruction for years.

2.  Automatic sending-off for any dissent to the referee. It''s not allowed in rugby and shouldn''t be in football either.

3.  No substitutions in the last 5 minutes of a match to avoid deliberate time-wasting.

Yes there are so strange ones out there and as you say few are enforced as they should be.  I would just change the one about goal kicks as what can you do book the keeper everytime he takes 7 seconds.  Penalties should have no players running in until the call has been hit, also I agree if there is a foul in the area it should be a penalty, if it was a free kick anywhere else it should therefore be a penalty. 

The rule regarding players going off the field after injury from a foul is plain stupid especailly as it isn''t enforced agian the goalkeeper for obvious reasons.  If a player needs further treatment off the field than thats fine otherwise let them stay on the field.  Way to much has been done to the offside rule and it should be a simple as if someone is offside then a flag is up.  All this active/non active bit is a nonsense it is all very well saying that he is not active, but if he blocks the keepers view or goes to attack the ball he is.  So lets keep it simple if there is a player offside put the flag up.

That all said there has been some positve changes and these are playing advantage played more.  It is clear goals are scored by playing the adavantage and this has to be a good thing.  Also there is more action taking on divers as they are now often booked.  Finally playing on when players go down is also good.  There is so much diving that this must be a good thing. 

First part you mention is exactly what I would change. If a foul takes place in the area: -

Denying a goal scoring chance - Penalty

An "Innocuous" challenge. Eg. A handball, a push, a foul on the edge of the area - Indirect free kick.

I too, am sick of "Well it wasnt enough for a penalty", or "It would have been harsh" when it would be a free kick outside of the box every time.

Well being as one of the excitments of the game is goal scoring I would make the goal mouth wider.

I would make the throw-ins more exciting by returning to the original rule whereby the first player to touch the ball after it had gone into "touch" threw the ball in.

I would have "short" corners when a defender kicked the ball over the base line and "long" corners when the ball went behind for any other reason after hitting a defender.

[quote user="Bobert"]

Well being as one of the excitments of the game is goal scoring I would make the goal mouth wider.

I would make the throw-ins more exciting by returning to the original rule whereby the first player to touch the ball after it had gone into "touch" threw the ball in.

I would have "short" corners when a defender kicked the ball over the base line and "long" corners when the ball went behind for any other reason after hitting a defender.

[/quote]

And four quarters of twenty minutes each, and double sudden-death overtime if the match is tied after eighty minutes.

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]

In a recent M.O.T.D. commentary following a foul on Solano in the penalty area John Motson said " well he''s not going to get a penalty from an innocuous challenge like that in that part of the area ". WHY ? if it was a foul and if it''s in the penalty area it doesn''t matter WHICH part its in, it should be a penalty kick ( else they might as well reduce the size of the penalty area ).

With this in mind I wondered what rules you would change to improve the game, here are a few of mine ;

1) Goalkeeper must not hold on to the ball for longer than six seconds. Unless they apply the rule, drop it, David Marshall always takes at least 10 seconds before he gets rid.

2) Don''t give the goalkeeper a free kick every time he comes into contact with an opponent, he can use his arms for gawdes sake !

3) Offside rule, well you can''t change that can you, its been changed too many times already and now nobody understands it ( so, at least whatever your opinion WE ARE ALL RIGHT ! ).

Over to you !

[/quote]1) This is already a rule and SHOULD be enforced (well at least its in my Refereeing course booklet)2) Hmm, I guess this would depend on the scenario3) Maybe the FA website would have more on the proper Offside rule (by the way, as a junior referee it is VERY, VERY hard to get EVERY single decision right, so maybe the public should lay off our backs. Nothing will stop me becoming an International Referee and I can shrug off critisicm, but others arent so determined.)

[quote user="USA Canary"]

I would like to see a rule change when a defender can shield an attacking player from the ball as ir runs out for a goal kick.  IMO this is obstruction as in almost every case the defender is not making any attempt to play the ball. 

If this happened in the middle of the pitch the referee would blow for a foul almost everytime.  I think if defenders were forced to play the ball in those situations it would make for a more exciting attacking game...

What do you all think???

[/quote]Absolutely spot on, agree sometimes the defender shields about 3 yards from the ball !

The one thing that gets my goat is the ammount of timewasting that teams seem to do, and I have yet to see any ref that books people for it which would encourage his team mates to speed things up.

1. When the ball goes into the crowd, anyone catching it and wearing team colours can take the throw in.

2. All seats to be equipped with voting consoles and one substitution to be made democratically per game for each team.

3. Remove the goal area and the ''D'' markings...what is their significance anyway?

I would remove timekeeping from the referee.

Football is one of the few remaining field games that doesn''t have an independent time keeper.

I am sick of seeing arbitary amounts of time added that bear little relationship to the time wasted. If there was a visible time clock then it would remove this contentious issue.

I would have an NFL style plan- whenever play stops, the watch stops. Then we get a garanteed 90 minutes, and the time-wasters would be pretty much done for.

Success!

Nothing, absolutely nothing.  If it aint broke don''t fix it, and IMO football doesnt need fixing.  The only thing I would do is punish people/clubs much more severely for any form of dissent/arguing with the referee, increase the ban time for straight red issued for violent behaviour, use video evidence to punish two footed tackles snide elbows etc, harsher penalties for diving/cheating etc.

The only constructive thing I can suggest is that if the Ref makes a contentious decision then only the captain of the team may approach him and only a max of say 3 times per game, similar to tennis. 

The rules in principle work pretty well for me, we just need to clean the game up.  I think one of the reasons we all love football is that it can throw up the unexpected, rub of the green, decisions going for or against you.  When the going is good you feel euphoric, when the going is bad you feel gutted.  Its that myriad of emotions that make our favourite game special, I don''t want that to change.

[quote user="ricardo"]

I would remove timekeeping from the referee.

Football is one of the few remaining field games that doesn''t have an independent time keeper.

I am sick of seeing arbitary amounts of time added that bear little relationship to the time wasted. If there was a visible time clock then it would remove this contentious issue.

[/quote]

You are so right "Ricardo" I have said this for years its utterly ridiculous [Y] arrdee.

1) No offside at all, this was implemented in hockey circa 1995 and has resulted in a much more attacking open flowing game with lots more goals being scored. It took a season or 2 for people to get their heads round it but once bedded in I would never want to go back.

2) Rolling subs, again as in hockey you can sub as often as you want whenever you want (exceptions are for attacking corners), this would mean that we would see a ''true'' squad game where players could rest within matches, this would probably have an effect on the national team come summer with players being fresher.

To keep playing until Norwich have taken the lead, then the match ends.

id change the rule that Dictates Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool get preferential treatment from Referees and the FA... u wont find it in the rule book.. its unwritten....

other than that,.. i think it should be a yellow card automatically for ALL players who crowd referees after bad decisions... Sheffield utd would have no players left!

jas :)

good points all well made.......

offside......ridiculous as it stands....if a ball is sent in the box and a player is offside (yet not trying to play the ball?!?!) , sod it...hes still offside............anyone in the keepers line of vision or that needs a defender to look at them is of course active!!! what a load of nonsense......change it back! NOW

shepharding the ball out.........yep...this is something that crept in and soft ass FA as usual did NOTHING to stop it.....likewise crowding the ref....if these people had some balls it would have been stamped out before it began,,,,,trying to stop it now will be very very tough..........

id like to introduce a rule whereby anybody that attends a stadium has to sing.......would make it far more enjoyable....

could we also have a rule whereby all interviews are conducted witha lie detector, thus losing this ridiculous sentiment that anybody involved in the whole modern game has any affinity whatsoever towards their club.........money money money.....

junk throw ins

ball''s out of play - free kick just like a goalkick or corner

how much prancing about and resulting time wasting do we have to put up with?

I would make the throw in / corner / goal kick rule more like it is in basketball.

Basicly the ball is still in play unless it touches something out of play (ie the crowed) or a player who is either on the line or slightly off the pitch touches it, or it touches the grass off the pitch. This means the ball is not out of play on crosses/corners when the ball curls out and in again as the linesman can only actually guess half the time whether the ball actually went off the pitch or not.