Sign in to follow this  
Old Boy

Differences between Roeder and Grant....

...may be many, but here''s something that they share - they both criticise their players to the media.''"The reserve game Monday night?" said Roeder, reported to have

reached for his hair-dryer in the midst of City''s seventh straight

reserve defeat to the neighbours.
"I tell you

what that told me - there were six starters there who played in the

game at Plymouth where we got smashed 3-0. And it could have been 6-0.

And that tells you everything. And now I definitely know why we got

beat."'' (quote from Rick Waghorn''s site). Grant got systematically abused on here for that, so why not Roeder? I''m asking because I''m interested in the answer - I actually think they''re both absolutely right to criticise players who don''t pull their weight to whoever they want, provided they''ve said it to the players face-to-face first.

The difference is however that Roeder hasn''t been personal about it in the media. He''s said the truth, when asked about the game he could hardly say "they were unlucky". These players know there out of favour, that their off, it dont matter. Grant got too personal, and was causing bad feeling for no reason and lost respect.

The difference is that I feel Roeder will follow through with his threats and drop those who don''t perform. Grant struggled to do this, he couldn''t replace players because of injuries or an inability to attract new loanees. Either way, it made his criticisms and "those players won''t play for me" speeches come across as a load of hot air.

I think it serves as a wake up call,with regards the transfer window, fail to bring in new blood or extend the loan period ched and co they will be automatic condenders for the first team.

I think the thing here is that it''s not necessarily wrong to publicaly criticise players, it depends on the player and how the manager percieves they will react to it.  Jamie clearly is the type of player that needs the support of his manager rather than a public dressing down, as it shot his confidence to pieces... so Grant made a poor managerial decision there.  But that said, I''m sure if Roy Keane or Stuart Pearce had got a public dressing down from their managers, they would have gone out and played like a man possessed to prove them wrong...

It''s the same in any job, you can''t just manage every person in the same way, as the same methods don''t work with everyone. 

[quote]I tell you what that told me - there were six starters there who played in the game at Plymouth where we got smashed 3-0. [/quote]

Grant would have named them.  And then he would have given a detailed explanation of what each of them had done wrong.

We''re 10 days from the opening of the January window, and these blokes can''t even pull their weight in the reserves, they''re obviously not interested in saving themselves.  I think GR has every right to criticise them.

Grant criticised players even when they played well. He named names all the time. Everything that comes out of Roeder''s mouth makes 100% sense to me. I don''t want to hear excuses, I want him to demonstrate that it wasn''t good enough and he did.When we signed Roeder I wasn''t that excited, I didn''t think he had the strength of character required. How wrong was I! When he was manager elsewhere I only ever heard the soundbites as supplied by Sky, now I can hear in depth interviews and there is terrific substance and an iron will being displayed. I think he will be brilliant for us.

the difference with Roeder and Grant was that five of the shamed seven from the Ipswich reserves game were signed by Grant, (Strihavka, Lappin, Murray, Brellier and Brown) and they are, without question, all short on ability and enthusiasm to wear the city shirt.........Roeder simply would not have signed them in the first place.........he is by far a better coach, manager, judgeand gentleman than Grant could ever wish to be.

Strihavka -  had confidence battered by Grant, never got a real chance so its no wonder he isn''t performing.

Lappin - what can i say, i think he''s not to bad and can do a job as a squad player, but if hes no longer performing and has given up trying to win his place he may as well go.

Murray - i felt he would do ok, but perhaps his problems from last season have overshadowed this season, not had many chances and again f hes given up in training he may as well go.

Brellier - so many ringing priases for the guy from north of the border. just hasn''t done it here, he doesnt want to be here, he hasn''t tried and has gone from le juge to le convicted. i think of this one as though hucks had gone to a different club, a fans favourite here and not having the mental desire to become a fans favourite elsewhere. he will go, unfortunatly.

Brown - tries hard, is rubbish. bye.

i was slightly suprised though to see Roeder talking about the reserve game but then at least the players know where they stand and he isn''t picking on small things like strikers not running back to a centre half position and then not being there ready for a counter attack.

i hope spillane and martin stay, martin proved last season he can do it and spillane was doing ok earlier on in the season. fingers crossed they sort themselves out and get on with it.

A very necessary and welcome drawing of a line in the sand. All have the ability to perform at this level. Roeder has clearly stated that success and winning are integral to the club, the team and the players - not some by product or bonus. The players named need to work with the coaches and manager to identify what''s needed and prove their worth. It matters little if you are playing in a reserve game, you are still picking up the same hefty wage and still playing for our badge (however corny that sounds). Bringing in Pattison Roeder stated that the boy doesn''t know how to lose, that could be said of all the loanees he''s brought in. Brellier was to be of the same mould, sadly his attitude suggests his mind is elsewhere. He needs to be elsewhere as does Murray. Spillane and especially Martin need to realise the work starts, not stops,  when you sign a pro contract. Too much bertie big bollocks I''m afraid. Roeder has worked with bigger players, bigger egos and bigger agents than what we have here. Thankfully we now have someone who is capable of knocking this lot into shape. There should be no scared cows, no player beyond criticism and no action or words deemed unsuitable to get us going again.They get paid far, far better than most fans, now let them prove they are worth it or else let them far cough.

Roeder was at the reserves game and spoke to them at half time - that tells you a hell of a lot about the man - he is going to drag this clubs attitude out of the muck.

He criticises when needed and at the right players.  Grant went on massive outbusrts and did not have the skills or charisma to keep the players onside when criticised.

[quote user="Old Boy"]...may be many, but here''s something that they share - they both criticise their players to the media.

''"The reserve game Monday night?" said Roeder, reported to have reached for his hair-dryer in the midst of City''s seventh straight reserve defeat to the neighbours. "I tell you what that told me - there were six starters there who played in the game at Plymouth where we got smashed 3-0. And it could have been 6-0. And that tells you everything. And now I definitely know why we got beat."'' (quote from Rick Waghorn''s site). Grant got systematically abused on here for that, so why not Roeder? I''m asking because I''m interested in the answer - I actually think they''re both absolutely right to criticise players who don''t pull their weight to whoever they want, provided they''ve said it to the players face-to-face first.
[/quote]

Why wasnt Rossi Jarvis named as one of these players? He was one of the worst!

Strihavka- Cureton Syndrome No.2, had his confidence shot but isnt getting the amount of games Jamie is.

Martin- Looks like he has made minimal effort towards his fitness since last season

Spillane- Dont know really, I cant ever really place him in the team

Murray- As much as I dont like it, he probably has to go. Never settled, no confidence and doesnt have a particular position

Lappin- Please dont get rid of him... hes like a left-sided Chadwick, we do need him believe it or not. I mean, look what happened when we gutted the squad for the Premiership and the year after...

Chris Brown- Not his biggest fan but really couldnt do any better on the night, the service really was nothing but apalling. Either that or he had too much to do with Martin standing around like some great donkey...

[quote user="City1st"]A very necessary and welcome drawing of a line in the sand. All have the ability to perform at this level. Roeder has clearly stated that success and winning are integral to the club, the team and the players - not some by product or bonus. The players named need to work with the coaches and manager to identify what''s needed and prove their worth. It matters little if you are playing in a reserve game, you are still picking up the same hefty wage and still playing for our badge (however corny that sounds). [/quote]Couldn''t agree more. But my point still stands - though Roeder didn''t list the six players, it''s easy to work out who he means. And his criticisms are way more brutal than Grant''s. The big difference is that he hasn''t picked on any of the fans'' favourites, which Grant did with Huckerby and Cureton. In a sense, he''s gone for soft targets. But I repeat, he''s right to blast these players, and most of the rest as well.The biggest difference of all between the two managers is that Roeder''s taking on the whole Club. He''s into all the footballing areas, including the Academy. This is something I''ve been on about for years, and neither Grant nor Worthy ever seemed interested in anything except the first team. Roeder has been there at the reserve matches, and apparently saying his piece when he feels he has to. I''ve got a feeling that the reason that Spillane was on the bench yesterday was as a reward for responding to the half-time rocket in the reserve game. He played it like he meant it in the second half - for a few minutes, anyway...

Old Boy, I don''t think its because of *who* Grant criticsed, but *when*. Having a go at Curo after he has scored a brace and was chasing a hat trick, totally stupid. All that Roeder says is entirely logical, he says what the fans want to hear not out of lip service to us, but because he understands the issues. We can all see when a player can''t be bothered, and;- Worthy would praise the work ethic- Grant would berate the scorer- Roeder drops the culprits and makes it clear they have to improve or be shipped outAgree with you 100% on Worthy. To be fair to Grant, he did see under 18s and reserves games too and gave Martin his chance. He also started to over-haul the scouting, and brought Gunny back into an area where his skills could best be used. BUT his inability to keep his gob shut both during games and during interviews was his big undoing. He destroyed confidence, the players we had wouldn''t perform for him, and he struggled to attract players here.I just wish I understood the issue with some of them, Brellier and Big Dave especially. I''m so disappointed they haven''t been good for us. Some people have said that Brellier has been injured, if that is true maybe he still has a role to play. Maybe Big Dave too. But Lappin is just too light weight and slow, Murray I haven''t seen enough of but perhaps the same applies, Brown just not good enough at this level. Martin seemingly not putting in the work. Spillane, maybe just inconsistent because of his age. At the end of the day, if they can''t be challenging for a first team spot whatever the reason they are useless to us and have to be shipped out. I don''t want to hear platitudes from the manager, I want to hear his honest take on the situation and I like what I am hearing from Roeder. It all makes sense from what we see on the pitch / hear from the commentary.