Sign in to follow this  
ca

Norwich v Charlton Match Thread

Off to the game at 1pm so thought I''d start the match thread before I went.

Expecting the team to be

Marshall; Otsemobor, Shackell, Doherty, Camara; Russell, Fotheringham, Pattison, Huckerby; Dublin, Curo

Hoping the score will be 2-1 to us

and as usual

CMON YOU YELLOWS [:)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Strange looking midfield there, CA.

Where''s the right sided midfielder?

Unless Smith''s injured, he''ll play wide right.

[/quote]

Wasnt sure about midfield but thought he''d play Pattison on left and Hucks on right but I may well be wrong, hope so, as I prefer Hucks on left too.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

Not that strange considering that Roeder has played it several times!

Norwich City: Marshall; Otsemobor, Shackell, Doherty, Camara; Smith, Russell, Pattison, Huckerby; Cureton, Evans.Subs: Arnold, Croft, Dublin, Spillane, Martin.Charlton: Weaver, Bougherra, Sodje, McCarthy, Powell, Jerome Thomas, Semedo, Zhi, Holland, Varney, Iwelumo.Subs: Randolph, Sam, Racon, Dickson, McLeod.

having got my face rearranged on xmas eve here in uruguay ive spent the morning here watching chelsea villa and waht a fekking game that was!!!!

Charlton....great club, nice fans....but eh......far too many ex binners these days.....

so........ 1-0 city.

And if that scorer is russell well ill be damned! remember the good ol days of watching him in Liquid on prince of wales road unable to pull anything!!!! Bless him.........

I look like a panda but i tell u lot something for nothing, the only cracker that gimp pulled for christmas was from sainsburys......

OTBC

And for christ sake SPANK wolves ª!!!!!!!!!!!

FELIZ NAVIDAD all.-....

xx

well i hope were all doing well.....

just one thing.....i mean its a little hrad to follow norfolks finest in south america,,,,, bt why in gods name are people posting on here?!?!

at the very least you people should be down the lae houses of the UKs finest city.....and dont get me started on why ur all not down there singing ur lungs out.....

if like myself ur a long way away then merry chrimbo etc etc...if however ur in norfolk get a frigging ticket!!!!

Nothing like watchig us hit the playoffs amongst stockport fans.......´

come on norwich need win to stop charlton

wonder if wolves be playing bottom 3 side on sat? im sure if they are i garuntee you wont be come 5pm sat

[quote user="6088m canary"]

well i hope were all doing well.....

just one thing.....i mean its a little hrad to follow norfolks finest in south america,,,,, bt why in gods name are people posting on here?!?!

at the very least you people should be down the lae houses of the UKs finest city.....and dont get me started on why ur all not down there singing ur lungs out.....

if like myself ur a long way away then merry chrimbo etc etc...if however ur in norfolk get a frigging ticket!!!!

Nothing like watchig us hit the playoffs amongst stockport fans.......´

[/quote]

Its Christmas. I''m too fat and drunk now to go to a game.

Before the game I had this down as a 1 nil win to Charlton.  As things turned out I''m a little disappointed that we couldn''t take advantage of 10 men to take 3 point, but am nevertheless happy that we''ve kept  the unbeaten streak going.  It''s a real bugger that the other sides around us have started to win now as well.  It''s going to be a long hard slog getting some real breathing space in this league.

followin on from earlier......

Darel my man,.......ur welcome to marry my sister any day!

(of course im sure, u should see the mess she mnakes when she eats a boiled egg!!!!)

Hey come on S.Fry is norwich through and through........

OTBC and please please please spank those midlands cavemen next :)

Any ale fans out there in the fine city have a few NOGS on me please :(

Just got back from the game, thought the lads had a pretty good go. Would have deserved all 3 if they''d got them.

Thought Mo Camara was awesome today. Think he''s been steady enough since he''s been here but I thought he looked real quality today.

Looked to me like Huckerby enjoyed his Christmas a bit too much. Didn''t look like he wanted the ball, didn''t know what to do with it when he got it. I''m a firm Huckerby fan and I''m not about to say I hope he packs in at the end of the season but today he was rubbish. Hopefully he will make up for it against Wolves.

Also thought Jimmy Smith was a waste of time, again. He''s got no pace and he''s always 5 yards short of everything. Can''t understand why he keeps Lee Croft out of the team. Bizarre.

Other than that I thought everyone else did quite well. Not everything came off for us and sometimes a decent delivery was lacking but (most of) the lads kept going.

Pleased that Rusty scored as well, he worked really hard again.

Agree Mo Camara was very good, except that he and Semmy were both unwilling to commit to a tackle. On the other hand, Shackell and Doherty were awesome defensively but very poor in possession. Semmy was frightened of getting forward because of Thomas''s pace and skill, so it was left to Camara to bring the ball out of defence. Huckerby looks ready for LA Galaxy where nobody else gives a damn either, and Pattison had a poor game despite a lot of effort. Other than that, well done everyone.We should have had all 3 points though.

"We''ll enjoy playing that sort of game more because both sides like to get the ball down," he said. "Charlton also want to pass the ball and we certainly do so it should be a totally different type of game. We don''t want to be hurried into hitting long balls from the back like we were at Scunthorpe." - Said Mr Roeder.

Well from where I sat I didnt see a great deal of football from us, I thought we were rubbish. At times I had difficulty telling just who had the man short. Patterson had a stinker he couldn''t pass water today, the whole midfield backed off (as usual) which allowed them a free shot for their goal.

There we are at home playing against a team of ten men, crowd roaring us forward, we spent as much time pasing backwards as we did forwards. Do the team not know what to do when you have an extra man ?

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

Where''s the right sided midfielder?

Unless Smith''s injured, he''ll play wide right.

[/quote]

Wasnt sure about midfield but thought he''d play Pattison on left and Hucks on right but I may well be wrong, hope so, as I prefer Hucks on left too.

[/quote]Agree with you on that one.  Smith''s an odd pick to play right, he doesn''t exactly hug the touchline and always ends up in the centre circle!

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

"There we are at home playing against a team of ten men, crowd roaring us forward, we spent as much time pasing backwards as we did forwards. Do the team not know what to do when you have an extra man ?

[/quote]

That''s called patient build-up, I believe. We didn''t panic (much) and looked better for it.

I thought it was a very good performance today and only a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping denied us a win.

Agreed Graham, thought our passing it about was excellent and shows that we are slowly going in the right direction. We have to be patient, the team needs to get their confidence back and believe they can all pass the ball and get into space and receive it. Considering we were playing a top six side I thought we did really well. A massive change from two months ago.

Graham Humphrey wrote

Steve Burns wrote:

"There we are at home playing against a team of ten men, crowd roaring us forward, we spent as much time pasing backwards as we did forwards. Do the team not know what to do when you have an extra man ?

That''s called patient build-up, I believe. We didn''t panic (much) and looked better for it.

I thought it was a very good performance today and only a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping denied us a win.

I know we all see it differently but nearly everyone near where I sat were dismayed with the performance - especially when the away fans are going Ole every time they, and at that point they only had 10 men passed the ball.

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

"We''ll enjoy playing that sort of game more because both sides like to get the ball down," he said. "Charlton also want to pass the ball and we certainly do so it should be a totally different type of game. We don''t want to be hurried into hitting long balls from the back like we were at Scunthorpe." - Said Mr Roeder.

Well from where I sat I didnt see a great deal of football from us, I thought we were rubbish. At times I had difficulty telling just who had the man short. Patterson had a stinker he couldn''t pass water today, the whole midfield backed off (as usual) which allowed them a free shot for their goal.

There we are at home playing against a team of ten men, crowd roaring us forward, we spent as much time pasing backwards as we did forwards. Do the team not know what to do when you have an extra man ?

[/quote]

One of the best ways to play against 10 men is to keep passing the ball and make them do a lot of chasing and thereby make the best of the man advantage. Sadly posts like this seem to confirm that our players are damned whatever they do - at one point in the second half we had a bit of a keep ball session going on with the ball being moved nicely around the back four and midfield, probing for an opening etc, after 5 or 6 passes the crowd get restless so Shackell launches a long ball forward which is gobbled up the Charlton centre half.

Personally, I thought the first 20 mins was as good as we have played all season and Pattison run the game during that time - I would agree he had a bit of a shocker second half. In that first 20 mins Hux went close, Cureton missed another decent chance (the header), the keeper saved well from Shacks and Evans had one cleared off the line - all this in addition to a couple of decent long range efforts too. The goal knocked us back for a bit and playing against 10 men can be difficult particularly when the 10 men are already winning and have something to hold onto. For the last 60 mins Charlton put in 2 banks of 4 and said come and break us down. Sadly we don''t have the creativity in centre mid to do that, certainly without Fozzie.

Also agree that Smith is a complete waste of time, does he actually do anything? I cannot remember a single positive thing he has done in a City shirt.

Agree, enjoyed the passing patient football and if this is the way we intend to play the goals, and good ones too, will soon flow.

PS What happened to Fozzi? Was he injured or is there a wall of silence for some reason?

Marshall - 6 - Didnt have an awful lot to do, came out of his goal a couple of times in rare chalrton attacks well, but at fault for the goal which seemed to go in slow-motion... really should have saved it

Doherty - 8 - im no doherty fan but i thought he had a cracker today... yes charlton after 30mins showed no intention to attack but swept up everything, would have got a 9 but like marshall was at fault for the goal after gettin put on his backside by zheng zei

Jimmy Smith - 2 - why oh why is this bloke on the wing?! clearly wants to play center midfield, and whilst he was on made it 10 vs 10, completely out of the game

Huckerby 6 - tried to get attacks going, but was non-existent in the first 30mins of the second halve.. anyone else wonder why he wasnt placed on the 38 yr old powell?! poor management there imo

Russell - 8 - ran all day, constantly lookin his usual untidy self and seems to never be able to stay on his feet, but put his foot in unlike some others and got forward in some instances and capped it with a goal... good performance

Croft - -8 some might say no end product, but immediately it made us more threatning.. he must be thinkin to himself why he is behind smith?

I thought the patient passing was excellent today, there were some real idiots sitting behind me who kept whinging at any sideways passes. The way we created our chances was to wait and pick the right ball, not lump it up to Curo and Ched, who arent the tallest. I bet if we had lumped it long and it kept being headed back theyd have been saying why dont we keep it on the deck? You cant pass the ball through players,so you gave to wait, some people are never happy...

Disappointed not to get the win today but we gave a top 6 team the runaround for most of the game, even when they had 11 men,better finishing and wed have been comfortable.