Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The striker situation

It is obvious to virtually everybody that we shall continue to struggle unless we convert more chances and half chances. Game after game we nick a narrow win, or draw, but when we have usually had several good chances. Fortunately the defence have improved recently, even without Taylor, or we would still be bottom!Cureton seems to be the main disapointment, as he was a consistent scorer in the Championship last season.Was this the result of a particular pairing with Iwelumo, who must have supplied him with many knock downs? We do not seem to have anyone who can play the same game as Iwelumo - Brown, Strihavka seem to have faded from consideration and Dion seems to be a part game player.Evans - despite his promise and occasional glimpses, and despite his two in two start, does not seem mature enough to deliver us, say, 15 if he is here to the end of the season.Martin - seems to be overlooked, despite his all-round game and his flurry of goals last season. Is he reckoned lazy, or has he failed to get on with GR?Huckerby - seems to be a shadow of his old self, with only brief flashes of what we have seen in the past. He was never a prolific scorer, in any case,  although his goals last season were invaluable.Brown - nothing to add - surely on his way out.Strihavka - I feel some disappointment here - he plays intelligently, takes up good positions and seems technically a good player, but he does not yet seem to have made the transition to English football.(Renton may make a contribution next season, but seems very unlikley to be fit thie season.)At the moment GR seems to have few options - Evans plus Cureton or Dion, or Hux. If two of these were injured or suspended, would he go to 4-5-1? We must presume that GR is thinking about a striker or two when the window opens. Ameobi would be good, but presumably too expensive. Mcleod will be available but is clearly not worth the price being mentioned. Over to you Glen!

[quote user="Jesse Garon''s twin brother"]Mcleod? Not the same Mcleod who played against us yesterday? Correct the sub who came on and was then subbed.

I think Brown will leave, Martin and Strihavka will be loaned out....

so three new strikers, my choices would be David Conolly (loan) a consistent striker at this level, not even sure if he has played for Sunderland all season, and would surely relish the chance to get back in to old scoring habits.

Joe Garner, at 19 this lad is one for the future, but he seems to have slipped un-noticed so far this season, scored a hatful of goals so far this season, and scored a few last season, seems to have some problems getting booked a lot, but surely thats to do with his age.

The last striker i would like to have real pedigree/and look to really push the club onwards, someone like Ameobi,Riordan etc. Im not sure what the funds available are, but if the were insufficient to get either of those two, someone like Stven Fletcher (Hibs).

alternatively we could bring ol'' Crouchy back on loan for the rest of the season....

[quote user="Salopian"]It is obvious to virtually everybody that we shall continue to struggle unless we convert more chances and half chances. Game after game we nick a narrow win, or draw, but when we have usually had several good chances. Fortunately the defence have improved recently, even without Taylor, or we would still be bottom!

Cureton seems to be the main disapointment, as he was a consistent scorer in the Championship last season.Was this the result of a particular pairing with Iwelumo, who must have supplied him with many knock downs? We do not seem to have anyone who can play the same game as Iwelumo - Brown, Strihavka seem to have faded from consideration and Dion seems to be a part game player.

Evans - despite his promise and occasional glimpses, and despite his two in two start, does not seem mature enough to deliver us, say, 15 if he is here to the end of the season.

Martin - seems to be overlooked, despite his all-round game and his flurry of goals last season. Is he reckoned lazy, or has he failed to get on with GR?

Huckerby - seems to be a shadow of his old self, with only brief flashes of what we have seen in the past. He was never a prolific scorer, in any case,  although his goals last season were invaluable.

Brown - nothing to add - surely on his way out.

Strihavka - I feel some disappointment here - he plays intelligently, takes up good positions and seems technically a good player, but he does not yet seem to have made the transition to English football.

(Renton may make a contribution next season, but seems very unlikley to be fit thie season.)

At the moment GR seems to have few options - Evans plus Cureton or Dion, or Hux. If two of these were injured or suspended, would he go to 4-5-1? We must presume that GR is thinking about a striker or two when the window opens. Ameobi would be good, but presumably too expensive. Mcleod will be available but is clearly not worth the price being mentioned.

Over to you Glen!
[/quote]

Its clear for all to see, and as much as i love the fella for playing his heart out for the club, that Curo is a poor mans Earnshaw. Now dare i suggest that we let our heads rule over our hearts and put in a loan bid for Earnie? I know he played yesterday but he has again failed to deliever for Derby.

Peterborough have agreed a deal for Barnet''s Liam Hatch. My Point? Peterboro have Aaron Maclean, possible target for us? Prolific this season, young, looks a good prospect, wouldn''t cost much.Having agreed a fee for the Barnet striker, i''d guess they are resigned to losing Mclean in the window....Thoughts?

[quote user="The Bucketman"]

Mcleod actually played against us? I had no idea!

[/quote] Don''t be too upset Bucketman as he hardly spent any time on the pitch.  You can see how highly thought off he is by Pardew as he substituted him after he brought him on.  We would be better off sticking with Brown and Strihavka.

[quote user="No. 4"]Dont be suprised to see David Nugent or Earnshaw joining us on loan in January..[/quote]

That will only happen... In my dreams!!!!