Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

Croft

In my opinion he has to go, this seems to be against the general consensus around where I sit, but hear me out...

A) He is overweight, and in my opinion has never ever been fit enough to last 90 mins, something he needs to sort out if he is ever going to be a good player.

B) He doesn''t create enough to warrant a place on the right wing.

C) He is a complete and utter headless chicken, yes if it comes off then it can look good, but 9 times out of 10 he will lose possession and/or put us on the back foot. He rarely looks where he is crossing the ball, and seems to think if he puts a ball in then his job is done.

I feel sorry for him in one way, when he first came to the club, and even to a slight extent now, the team seemed to only attack in one way, down the left with Huckerby (who coincidentally was shown up completely for lacking the pace he used to have yesterday). This meant he was often out on his own on the right side screaming for the ball. But now, especially with the way we played yesterday, but wings can be utilised. I know Croft didn''t come on until late, and he did have one of his better games, but there are far more superior players out there.

Croft needs to go, sooner rather than later, a good squad player is all he should be.

I appreciate I will probably get people disagreeing and I would like to hear your opinions, but if anyone comes back with some of the utter drivel that was spoken (if you can even call if that) on Canary Call last night (what a joy that is on the way home from the football), then I don''t expect much debate!

I think you''re being a tad harsh on him, to be honest. He''s not the world''s greatest player, sure, but I think he''s a decent enough player - he has a lot of pace and gives us some balance and width. Sometimes his crossing isn''t especially good but he put some good balls in yesterday and made a real impact. I would like to see him start on Saturday rather than Jimmy Smith who offers practically nothing on the right.

Croft isn''t the worst.........by any stretch.....

Who in the present playing squad, will fetch a decent transfer fee if sold on?

It tells you how poor croft is that Smith continues to start despite not offering the width coz he is a central midfielder.  Without chadwick we are still missing a right sided player. 

I suspect that if Chadwick had been fit Croft would have been a bench warmer mostly. Croft lacks goal-scoring abilioty asnd crossing ability, both essential for an out and out attacker.I also share the concerns about his weight and fitness.In his defence, Croft is committed and is far more willing to tackle back than, say Hux, but I think at this level we need some skill as well.

He doesn''t get his crosses into the box often enough for me, the amount of times he looks to have beat the defender and reaches the byline only for the defender to get back and stop the cross sums him up perfectly, threatens to deliver but doesn''t very often actually manage it. His ability to finish is also pretty woeful when he gets a chance, had a chance to at least test the keeper in the last few minutes against Charlton the other day and the ball ends up in the lower tier of the N + P, exactly the same critisicms could also apply to Hucks, been a great player but is really showing signs that it may soon be time to call it a day.

It''s a shame that Lee Croft does not seem to have improved significantly since he came here, his crossing leaves a bit to be desired! But I think he tends to link up better with Jon O. than Luke Chadwick or Jimmy Smith and he and Jon O. offers good pace down the right hand side.  Glen Roeder seems to prefer playing him off the bench which could be affecting his form, he could be doing that for an impact or he may also have reservations about playing him for a full 90 mins. We generally have a more balanced formation when he is playing which I like to see particularly when playing at home.  We need depth to our squad and therefore Glen Roeder should hang on to him he''s still reasonably young and hopefully his problems can be sorted out on the training ground.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]It tells you how poor croft is that Smith continues to start despite not offering the width coz he is a central midfielder.  Without chadwick we are still missing a right sided player. [/quote]But if you are looking to keep the same formation and tactics then Smith is a more obvious replacement to Chadwick. Chadders is not a natural wide player like your Gigs or your Neil Adams, he is found far more often cutting inside and spreading the ball rather than running down the flank and crossing a ball in.I am not sure that Smith was played for being better than Croft or more like Chadwick in that position. Croft does give the team more width but as we know Huckerby is not the best at getting back so having four or five players forward at a time can be risky.

I personally think when Croft is brought on he makes the squad more balanced on the pitch.  You want a bad player, then you have to look no further than the Doc.

I think you are being a tad harsh on Lee Croft.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]It tells you how poor croft is that Smith continues to start despite not offering the width coz he is a central midfielder.  Without chadwick we are still missing a right sided player. [/quote]

Exactly.  Roeder would rather play a central midfielder out of position than play Croft in his natural position - says it all.

Croft is a one trick pony.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]In my opinion he has to go, this seems to be against the general consensus around where I sit, but hear me out... A) He is overweight, and in my opinion has never ever been fit enough to last 90 mins, something he needs to sort out if he is ever going to be a good player. B) He doesn''t create enough to warrant a place on the right wing. C) He is a complete and utter headless chicken, yes if it comes off then it can look good, but 9 times out of 10 he will lose possession and/or put us on the back foot. He rarely looks where he is crossing the ball, and seems to think if he puts a ball in then his job is done. I feel sorry for him in one way, when he first came to the club, and even to a slight extent now, the team seemed to only attack in one way, down the left with Huckerby (who coincidentally was shown up completely for lacking the pace he used to have yesterday). This meant he was often out on his own on the right side screaming for the ball. But now, especially with the way we played yesterday, but wings can be utilised. I know Croft didn''t come on until late, and he did have one of his better games, but there are far more superior players out there. Croft needs to go, sooner rather than later, a good squad player is all he should be. I appreciate I will probably get people disagreeing and I would like to hear your opinions, but if anyone comes back with some of the utter drivel that was spoken (if you can even call if that) on Canary Call last night (what a joy that is on the way home from the football), then I don''t expect much debate![/quote]

ARRGHHHH!

What is wrong with you people?!

Smith does not offer width because ROEDER WANTS HIM TUCKED IN.

He is tucked in to keep the midfield tight and allow Huckerby to go forward while keeping three in the middle of the pitch.

Its the same bloody system worthington used the season we went up!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]It tells you how poor croft is that Smith continues to start despite not offering the width coz he is a central midfielder.  Without chadwick we are still missing a right sided player. [/quote]

croft is....a CM?simply because...for a 15min run out he would be brilliant running at tired centre backs, but he cannot play wing because he just isn''t quite quick enough...he cant cross, shoot or cut inside, he runs with blinkers on...so, unless he becomes a CM which is highly unlikely then he has to go...he used to be superb...i suppose the injury meant he found the X-BOX and well. we know the rest....

im sorry but i have to disagree on croft,  i think he has a good talent going to waste on the bench.  a bit like Jermaine Defoe at spurs. (i know they a different class of player) if croft was given the right amount of starts on the pitch then he can make a difference on that right wing,  Chadwick doeant have his pace but he is stronger and gets in the box much more.  So who can link up with Semy more from right back.  Chadwick has done more linking all season but hes injured at the moment.  Smith is a waste of time and is always AWOL from the wing,  but then again hes more a centre mid fielder. so whos left???  Croft.  give him a chance. When he join the club he was like a right wing hucks.  and with those two bombing forward with pace on the wings, its terrifying for the defences they run at. he only loses the ball as much as hucks does cos they mark him with 2 players. i still say hes got the talent and the pace,  if you think hes fat then trim him down a bit roeder. but lets give him some starts and see what he can do again.

I think the problem is that he usually has a good impact from the bench, therefore earns a start,but is often ineffective from the start, so back to the bench..!

Is he good enough or isnt he? Whatever the answer hes a terrific impact sub in our division.

there are signs for me that croft is beginning to find some form under roeder.  it seems to me like many of the squad, he''s being encouraged by roedy and is gaining in confidence under his guidence.  certainly, my main complaint of croft has been his inability to create chances, put telling crosses in or even score.  from what i''ve seen of the boy - he''s at least honest, and the player always gives 100%.i really believe roedy is having a positive effect upon young crofty and i think with natural development, in 1-2 years time, you could see him develop into a decent player.  however, reading went up on the strength of their midfield, and adding doyle, lita and little to the mix who instantly gelled and were hits from the word go.  i''d take an experinced creator like little anyday over crofty - at present - but he''s useful to have on the bench, make no mistake.

Im not sure what it is about the players I like.... maybe its because theyre the ones not many others appear to like.

Dave, Brown, Murray, Lappin, Croft....

To name but a few

Point is, I think Croft can do a job. Looking at last game he probably wouldnt have been as bad as Hucks. Him on the right, Hucks bench, Pattison left and Rust and Smith in the middle?

Could do a job

croft has been quite good this season i thought, the whole team play like how you have descrived most of the time esecially russell