Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Jimmy Smith-Keep him Yes or NO!

No from me i''m afraid.  Jimmy smith''s best position is centre midfield, he is not a right winger. Ask any QPR fan and they will tell you centre midfield. Everytime i have seen him play for us he is on the right wing, out of his best position. He does nothing on the right wing and a complete waste of a player. We either have to play him in the centre or send him back, so we can get a real right winger.

We have not seen him very much in his preferred position, in the centre. Given that Rusty has played in virtually every game and managed just one goal, perhaps Smith has not had a fair chance.Ou discussion may be academic. Lampard is injured and Chelsea will lose players to Africa in January. They may be unwilling to extend the loan!

I would say that Glen Roeder should try to keep him, I agree that he should be played in centre midfield but I think he is improving after being injured for so long.  We need players like him as cover and for competition for places in the team.  I think Jimmy Smith and Ched Evans are being kept in the team to improve Glen Roeder''s chance of negotiating an extension to their loan deals with their respective clubs if they were not in the starting line-up then this must reduce GR''s chances of keeping them.

I assume from the fact you put "NO" in capitals, your mind is made up...

Here''s a thought.  Why not keep him and play him in his natural position, i.e. centre midfield?

Keep him;   after weds performance we need some creativity beyond Fozzy and neither Russell nor Patty offer that.   His movement is good and he needs a chance in his prefered position.

Having said that I think he does offer more wide right than Croft does...

I would say keep him. He''s a centre midfiedler by trade and in the 2nd half of the season we might need him to play there. We could do worse than him on the right, and he could when fit be a key player for us in the centre.

With Hucks struggling for form, fozzy now injured, and Pattison not certain to stay there could be a chance for him in his best position coming up, we have a lack of numbers with quality, and so we should do our best to keep him.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I think Mark Rivers would still offer more wide right than Croft does!

Safety in numbers.......retain his services till May. (and maybe try him in his preferred playing position against Bury next week).

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]This is rediculous - Rivers would make a run and take him half an hour to get back to help defend. I admire Croft for the fact that he does get back and help out - sure he gave away a penalty ealier in the season but at least he was there trying to do the right thing. He also has pace about him and is 21-22 not the 27-28 year old Rivers who supposedly should have been on top of his game!Give the guy a break - if he improves his crossing you are looking at a much better player. Rivers needed so much more than that.

NO!,  hes bloody useless.  watching him at the charlton game he was AWOL for most of the time he was on the pitch.  Semy went forward as the right winger, when he looked for smith he was nowhere to be seen,  just a clear blank right wing.  the guy is everywhere he shouldnt be.  CROFT should be starting games while Chadwick is injured.  the guy comes on and the right wing is on fire.  As fr Smith,  send him back to chelsea. he obviously thinks hes good enough to stand in for african nations players while they away.  LMFAO.

I would like to see him play in his favoured position before I make a judgment. I don''t like to criticise Glenn as he''s done such a good job so far, but why do so many managers insist on playing footballers out of position?

Chelsea don''t sign duff players. We have yet to see this boy anywhere near his true form yet.

I think Roeder realises that and will do the necessary to keep him.

I don''t see the point of keeping him if he''s going to play right wing because he''s useless there. I''m guessing Glenn thinks that he''ll make things a bit more solid in the middle of the park but to be honest he doesn''t contribute much to anything. And starting with him on the right wing is like starting the game with 10 men.

The thing that worries me most about him is that he has a clear lack of pace and even though he''s being played out of position he''s quite often too far away from the action/too far away from where he needs to be.

I can''t help but think that if Glenn thought he was good enough to play in central midfield then he''d play him there anyway...

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is rediculous - Rivers would make a run and take him half an hour to get back to help defend. [/quote]

Well yes, I was being facetious.

I meant Cedric Anselin.

Has he been a waste?  Or has he tucked in and made a solid midfield four work in a way that Croft is not capable of doing as whenever he gets the ball he seems obsessed with running head down the line?

[quote user="city til i die"]No from me i''m afraid.  Jimmy smith''s best position is centre midfield, he is not a right winger. Ask any QPR fan and they will tell you centre midfield. Everytime i have seen him play for us he is on the right wing, out of his best position. He does nothing on the right wing and a complete waste of a player. We either have to play him in the centre or send him back, so we can get a real right winger.[/quote]

Obviously match tactics pass you by then.  Do you think Glen plays him there over Croft for a laugh? 

[quote user="Optimisticcanary"]NO!,  hes bloody useless.  watching him at the charlton game he was AWOL for most of the time he was on the pitch.  Semy went forward as the right winger, when he looked for smith he was nowhere to be seen,  just a clear blank right wing.  the guy is everywhere he shouldnt be.  CROFT should be starting games while Chadwick is injured.  the guy comes on and the right wing is on fire.  As fr Smith,  send him back to chelsea. he obviously thinks hes good enough to stand in for african nations players while they away.  LMFAO.
[/quote]

Please people get this into your heads - he is only useless there compared to Croft if you want someone to run up the line like a headless chicken.  If you want someone with more natural skill who can tuck in and keep a tight midfield bank of four then Croft is NEVER GOING TO PLAY. 

These are probably the same people who said Bentley was crap.  I rest my case.

[quote user="GJP"]

I don''t see the point of keeping him if he''s going to play right wing because he''s useless there. I''m guessing Glenn thinks that he''ll make things a bit more solid in the middle of the park but to be honest he doesn''t contribute much to anything. And starting with him on the right wing is like starting the game with 10 men.

The thing that worries me most about him is that he has a clear lack of pace and even though he''s being played out of position he''s quite often too far away from the action/too far away from where he needs to be.

I can''t help but think that if Glenn thought he was good enough to play in central midfield then he''d play him there anyway...

[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]

Please people get this into your heads - he is only useless there compared to Croft if you want someone to run up the line like a headless chicken.  If you want someone with more natural skill who can tuck in and keep a tight midfield bank of four then Croft is NEVER GOING TO PLAY. 

These are probably the same people who said Bentley was crap.  I rest my case.

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote][/quote]

I just heard the sound of a nail being hit squarely on the head.

I am in full agreement with you JC.

no... i know he''s been injured and out for wuite some time but in the games he has played he hasnt shown anything worth persuing...

Keep him for the duration of the loan just to keep the squad numbers up- but after that forget about him...

I''llk be somewhat miffed if we''re paying his wages though.. he must be on a fortune for not even getting in the reserves at Chelski

jas :)

I''m almost in full agreement with you, JC. Clearly Roeder doesn''t like the idea of two out-and-out wingers so wants someone who can tuck in and give us a little more stability in midfield. The problem is that Smith is obviously uncomfortable in that position. I would like to see him in the middle with Rusty for at least some portion of the game tomorrow - perhaps start with Patty on the left, Hucks on the right and Russell and Smith in the middle. It would be good to see Smith in his preferred position before his loan ends. I also quite like the idea of a 4-3-2-1 formation (it is Christmas, after all):

Evans

Hucks         Smith

Pattison    Fozzy    Russell

the defence

But perhaps our players are not good enough to cope with a switch from 4-4-2.

One thing is clear,though: Smith is way, way better than Croft, who has a decent turn of pace but not much else. Croft''s a good option as a sub when the opposition have tired legs, but as far as I''m concerned he has done nothing to deserve a start.

I''d personally say ''no'' but that is qualified by the fact that he hasn''t really been given that much of a chance, and not at all in his preferred role so you perhaps have to give him the benefit of the doubt; if GR has seen enough that he wants to keep him then I guess I''d go along with it.

There is a slight side issue, in that he will presumably cost a fair chunk of dosh (ie several hundred £k) that you could argue might be better utilised - getting Taylor back, for example - though of course then we''d be a player down in m/f, which for me is the most crucial part of the pitch (not that the others aren''t, it is just that we can see the difference in the side now that we have a hard working and effective m/f which protects the defence and helps create more).

[quote user="JC"]

Obviously match tactics pass you by then.  Do you think Glen plays him there over Croft for a laugh? 

[quote user="Optimisticcanary"]NO!,  hes bloody useless.  watching him at the charlton game he was AWOL for most of the time he was on the pitch.  Semy went forward as the right winger, when he looked for smith he was nowhere to be seen,  just a clear blank right wing.  the guy is everywhere he shouldnt be.  CROFT should be starting games while Chadwick is injured.  the guy comes on and the right wing is on fire.  As fr Smith,  send him back to chelsea. he obviously thinks hes good enough to stand in for african nations players while they away.  LMFAO. [/quote]

[/quote]you think its match tactics leaving the entire right wing free and open with no right midfielder/winger there to cover or make runs.  be serious, the guy went walkabout and Otsemobor couldnt find him when he had the ball going forward.