Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

"Fans" in the N&P stand

My days of spectating at Carrow Road stretch back to the early 80''s.

The areas where people sing or don''t haven''t really changed in that time apart from the snakepit which wasn''t there until the mid 90''s and didn''t really become a vocal area until a few years after that.

In all that time the Barclays always been the vocal area. The river end rarely made some noise, while the other 2 sides have always been the none vocal areas. The only times I''ve heard all 4 sides singing was the Bayern Munich game and the Preston game in the 03/04 title winning year.

I''ve gone from being a young kid, to teenager, young adult and now 30 something Barclay ender still as vocal as I''ve always been, kept going through the bad times and I hope to spectate there until I die and try and keep up the vocals!

I respect oldies who go to games cause I''ll be one of them soon enough and some of them have been regulars there for donkeys years which I respect cause a quite a few of our present crowd have only jumped on the bandwagon in the last 6-7 years. If the club started some sort of ageist policy which is illegall, banning all over 60''s then we wouldn''t be struggling to get 20,000 so leave the oldies alone!

Although I''ve been mainly a Barclay ender I''ve spectated in all the other areas from time to time. Being used to and enjoying the often loud and vocal Barclay end, I find the other areas a come down but for many they''d rather be out of the vocal or they can''t get tickets in the Barclay or snakepit. I''m sure if we''d of been geting the crowds we''re getting now in 1992 when the new Barclay was built then the club would of considered making it bigger than what it is. If I had a choice of missing a game cause wern''t in the vocal or sitting in the quiet areas then I''d still go!

Rather pointless thread but I thought I''d tell it as it is!

[quote user="Rutland Canary"]

I''m a season ticket holder in Block N Jarrold and travel from Rutland for most of the games. I will be there on Saturday and as usual will be trying to get some singing going but with probably little success. I think the problem is that a large proportion of Block N are single match family visitors and dont understand the songs and chants. Being in the East Midlands I also manage to get to a number of away matches where I really enjoy the improved atmosphere from the Jarrold.

By the way I''m also an OAP (and remember the 1958/59 season, that was real atmosphere) but dont think I should be put out to grass or banned from the ground just yet, give me a few more years.

[/quote]

Good on you Rutland!  If you are anywhere near Row V for the Bury game, hopefully together we can shake some life into that end of the the Jarrold. OTBC!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

I had the pleasure of the Jarrold Stand yesterday! Although it was a great view the atmosphere was dire.

NOBODY sung out loud OTBC before the game. I started too, then realised i was getting the "eye".

I jumped up and called Sodje all the names under the sun after THAT tackle only to be told to calm down!

What will it take to get people to join in?

[/quote]

Absolute bollocks.

I sit in the Jarrold. I always sing OTBC (loudly) along with loads of others within my earshot. I join in other songs, but not all the time. I regularly rant at the ref and/or opposition players.

The atmosphere might not be brilliant, but don''t lie to try and make your point. .

I don''t know about The Jarrold Stand because I avoid it; except to say when it was first built it seemed to be full of passion - but then again we were winning the league and in the Prem- but has since progressively quietened.

The Barclay is mixed ages but they are generally passionate and inclined to sing. Also, they are less inclined to slag off players.

The Snakepit is Chav Corner and an embarrasment because they so often get the vitriol wrong.

The River End is moaners paradise although they are die hard fans they love a moan and a sulk.

The City Stand is small and doesn''t have people inclined to chant together although it is full of individual shouters and supporters who really love the Club. I saw grown men weeping when Roberts played his last game and have heard the conversations in the bars which are generally passionate and in depth. Do not underestimate the supporters in the City Stand.

Snakepit Chav Corner Rude Old.....that won''t be popular!

Don''t know why but that corner has been quieter than usual this season. Have people moved back to the Barclay or do they now have kids and are in the Family Areas?

Mello is in the City Stand (but has his mouth full of custard creams most of the game). If they are all like him, it explains a lot! lol

Do not underestimate the supporters in the City Stand.

We, are a sleeping giant.......[|-)]

And, just like Phoenix from the ashes......."We shall rise (unsteadily) and go for a halftime cuppa (and hopefully a few biccies if the legion of ludicrous limpet locusts - aren''t loitering and salivating around the lounge cookie an'' cups table).........to return suitably refreshed and hopefully therefore able to remain awake till the full-time whistle!

Joking apart, there are folk in the City Stand who have been attending games for years, who have given their unwavering loyal support since long before my birth (still a 40''ish youngster me).....I salute, and have ''Mucho Respecto'' for the many venerable veterans and seniors (both male and female) who reside in the City Stand. They may not be as vociferous as the young''uns in the Barclay or the Snakepit etc......But, they do love this club with a passion, like they love their own family...... True support!

Anyway, it''s just a bunch of  "Chavtastic opportunist glory hunting part-timers who''ve only supported the team for the past 6 season''s" who occasionally occupy the rest of the Stadium''s stands.......[:P]   

[quote user="Foggo_on_the wing"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

I had the pleasure of the Jarrold Stand yesterday! Although it was a great view the atmosphere was dire.

NOBODY sung out loud OTBC before the game. I started too, then realised i was getting the "eye".

I jumped up and called Sodje all the names under the sun after THAT tackle only to be told to calm down!

What will it take to get people to join in?

[/quote]

Absolute bollocks.

I sit in the Jarrold. I always sing OTBC (loudly) along with loads of others within my earshot. I join in other songs, but not all the time. I regularly rant at the ref and/or opposition players.

The atmosphere might not be brilliant, but don''t lie to try and make your point. .

[/quote]

I agree FOTW. I sit half-way up in the Jarrold, under the TV gantry, and most of us in that area are regulars and, for our average advancing ages, do make a fair bit of noise. In my case it''s far too much swearing !! Granted  the volume''s nowhere near as high as the Barclay or Snakepit but is more than the City Stand and River End combined.

There are far more young supporters in the Barclay - particularly the Lower Barclay - and the Snakepit. I''m sure that, as I did, they''ll be lowering the decibles as the years increase and gradually migrate to quieter parts of the ground.

My son '' sits '', ie, stands in Block E of the Lower Barclay and says that he can''t hear much noise from the Jarrold. Perhaps it''s due to the layout/acoustics of Carrow Road perhaps ?

Incidentally, CUSDP, were you sitting in the block nearest the away fans ? This block has a lot of  '' comp '' tickets and is often partly filled by opposition fans when there''s a large away following. Strangely it hasn''t been invaded by Norwich '' lads '' looking for a bit of banter with the opposition so it always seems a bit quiet. On the other hand if you were up at the back near the padded seats then you''ll more than likely have heard those occupants anguishing throughout the whole match over whether to take two short breaks or just one extended Klosters skiing vacation this year or fretting over the outrageous cost of their daughters pony lesson''s at prep school. They show little interest in proceedings on the pitch.

I swear some of them aren''t sure which team plays in yellow and green......

old people? moaning?  in the N&P stand?  and you are moaning about them moaning so doesnt that make you an old moaner? you only have yourself to blame for sitting there in the first place.  i had a really fat guy next to me at the charlton game, i was cramped to hell.  but i didnt complain.  i have a season ticket he bought his ticket. he wont be there saturday.  im not complaining. im there to watch NCFC and get behind the team. NOT TO MOAN. if you dont like it then dont sit there then come on here and moan about it. moan moan moan......ooooh that felt good. hehe

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Do not underestimate the supporters in the City Stand.

We, are a sleeping giant.......[|-)]

And, just like Phoenix from the ashes......."We shall rise (unsteadily) and go for a halftime cuppa (and hopefully a few biccies if the legion of ludicrous limpet locusts - aren''t loitering and salivating around the lounge cookie an'' cups table).........to return suitably refreshed and hopefully therefore able to remain awake till the full-time whistle!

Joking apart, there are folk in the City Stand who have been attending games for years, who have given their unwavering loyal support since long before my birth (still a 40''ish youngster me).....I salute, and have ''Mucho Respecto'' for the many venerable veterans and seniors (both male and female) who reside in the City Stand. They may not be as vociferous as the young''uns in the Barclay or the Snakepit etc......But, they do love this club with a passion, like they love their own family...... True support!

Anyway, it''s just a bunch of  "Chavtastic opportunist glory hunting part-timers who''ve only supported the team for the past 6 season''s" who occasionally occupy the rest of the Stadium''s stands.......[:P]   

[/quote]

Who could disagree with your succinct and well reasoned post Mello?

Now if the rest of you could just keep the noise down a bit, us old timers could get a few minutes kip at half time.

I sit in the River End Upper - right in the middle.  Yes most of those sitting there are above pensionable age - and it''s a miracle that most of us get up all  those stairs!  There''s also quite a few youngsters - with parents and grandparents.  we are not that quiet - sing OTBC very loudly and get up and yell and shout when we score.  I am constantly moaned by some sitting in front of me at for yelling (usually at the ref) - and my other half blows a horn for all our corners and when we score - and takes a lot of flack!

OK, there are a few moaners up there - and also some good banter, but we are happy sitting there and have done so for years now.  Don''t knock it!  We appreciate the efforts of the Barclay and often join in when they start singing, but to be honest, the accoustics don''t seem to be as good now as before the Jarrold stand and hotel were built. 

I understand that from the pitch the noise levels are pretty good from all the stands - that would seem to be the most important thing.

We''ll be up there tomorrow singing (me) and blowing a horn (other half).  Hope to hear a lot of vocal support from everyone.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Snakepit Chav Corner Rude Old.....that won''t be popular! [/quote]

I have to agree with him, though.  At the least, the amount of polyester on display should worry the fire brigade.

I love the endless criticism of us "oldies" in the River End.  I''ve lost count of how many people have changed season ticket seats to get away from me and my larger than average mouth.

I can still out shout most of you "kiddies" who now stand in comfy surroundings where we used to surge, push and shove whilst still singing (er and chucking stuff)

[quote user="Rutland Canary"]OK Hooleyfan I''m Row V seat 195 so we should be close.[/quote]

We are V 191 to 193 so that''s pretty much on each other''s lap!

Had to sit lower N & P today behind the goal today for the Wolves game...great view... but couldn''t get too many singing...hurt my voice trying to and had to go very sparingly for the rest of the match. Brief outbursts from River End after the goal and towards the end of the match though.

I think CR vocal support hinges on how well we start a game...and to be honest there wasn''t a lot to shout about in the first half.

[quote user="ricardo"]

Now if the rest of you could just keep the noise down a bit, us old timers could get a few minutes kip at half time.

[/quote]

Apart from half time charge for the biccies, the occupants (except Mello Yello) of the G.W. (City) stand are asleep  throughout the game.  You can hear a pin drop in the Cathedral lounge part of the stand during the game.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Now come on Mello, you are only there for the biccies! lol[/quote]

"CRUMBS! I''VE BEEN RUMBLED!"........[:$]

In reality, there''s very little chance of biccies these days in the Cathedral Lounge.......The ruddy-faced rural gannets and pallid pretentious pompous pelicans - are all divin'' in there like women warriors fighting for bargains in a Boxin'' Day ''NEXT'' sale......."BICCIES!! Caw! Caw! Eaaayah! Caw!Caw! Eaaayah! ISSA MOINE! Caaaaw! Peck! Chomp! Scoff! Slurp! Smack! Slobber! S''luvverly! Gulp!"

In the Caartheedraal Laaarnge, Affluent ''arable'' Alf, snorts to Richie ''but'' Rural: "I say sir! I had my hands on that custard cream well before you, now kindly remove your fowl pluckin'' pudgy digits from said biscuit - before I insert my shooting stick well into your dispatch orifice and wind you up clockwork like - and point you towards the exit! Harrumph!"

And when they wheeled out the ''freebie'' platefuls of "Delia''s no Deals" scrummy mince pies at halftime in the lounge on Boxing Day.....(I now understand why the call it Boxing Day)..."Scud! Cuff! Whack! Gerroff! Thwack! It''s Mine! Gimme! Smack! Whap! Slap!......

So embarrassingly sad - but true..............ish.[:)]

[/quote]

Spot on!