Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

sheff wed in bottom 3??? warning to NCFC

before the last slap on the back has echoed round the room, we''re not safe just yet.  sure - some great form, and what a run - but this run has taken us to just 2 points above the relegation places.  of course, 3 points would see us leapfrog back over the log jam in front - but my point is this.  i''d forgotten about sheff wed.  they had a terrible start to the season, but seemed to shoot up the table and be just outside the playoffs (best 8th, 9th, 10th??? dunno for sure). i''ve not noticed their fall though, and when glancing at the table was amazed to see them back in the bottom 3. it seems a tremendous effort is still required by our management team and small squad to avoid the drop - cos surely, if we go through a bad patch - we could be dragged back into from where we came.  i''m backing roedey to do it - but more than ever, the jan transfer window is more crucial than ever to our survival.  hucks and martin bagged 10 goals last jan/feb to save our bacon - i''m hoping curo and chedders can do the same???

We are still a million miles from safety - anybody who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded. Yes, there have been some encouraging signs of improvement since Glenn took the helm, but I just wonder if we are starting to head back to the doldrums again on the evidence of the last couple of matches. We just don''t seem capable of scoring enough goals. The trouble is any team can beat any other in this division.  For instance, who would have predicted QPR winning 4-2 away at Watford on Saturday? I certainly wouldn''t have done. Our local media (and most of us fans) would have been dining out for weeks on the strength of such a commanding win as that! None of the teams in the danger zone look dead and buried just yet, that is part of our problem. Even though we have continued to steadily pick up points, most of our relegation rivals have done so as well, hence we have been unable to increase the margin of safety in terms of points. Let''s not forget we are still only 5 points above the bottom placed club. For me, any one of ten or more teams could still be sucked into this battle for survival. I hope and pray that City isn''t one of those come April/May.

We still lack quality right through the team imo, Roeder has certainly got them playing with a lot more passion and will to win than we''ve seen for many a year.January will decide our fate, we need 1 maybe 2 defenders, a creative goalscoring midfielder and a striker capable of scoring more regularly than the ones we have as well as hanging on to the loan players, if we get the right players I can see us ending up in mid table, if we don''t we could well be biting our nails until the very end.

LGT wednesday have 2 games in hand and are only 2 points behind. So we could see ourselves fall into the relegation places again very easily.

You''re right Lucky....it''s a cruel division if things go wrong for a few games. Wednesday had a very good November, taking 11 points out of 15. However, their next six games yielded only 2 points out of 18, this from two ties away at Southampton and Burnley, which most clubs would find acceptable. Their four losses were all by an odd goal, away at Crystal Palace and Hull, and at home to Watford and Colchester ( the latter being the only one that would have caused any significant disappointment ). So yes, it does not take terrible performances to put a club back into the mire.

This is a spot on obsurvation and could happen to any number of clubs, including ourselves.

January is absolutely vital and we need to keep hold of as many of the loans as we can, ship out some dross and get in a couple of permanant signings.

The key to all this is going to be luck. Luck that we don''t get serious injuries and that we keep picking up points like against Colchester and Wolves when we could easily have lost. Its going to be very tight in my opinion and I would still settle for just scraping clear. If that happens Roeder will have pulled off a tough ask.