Sign in to follow this  
TWEETY PIE

Best Ever

Just while Worthy''s not signing anyone...........Who is the best player you have seen
1)In the flesh
2)On television
Mine are Cantona and Pele you can be as biased as you like but we have had best canary player''s and we could see some greats next season.

Well Tweety, the Best player I''ve seen first hand is Ronaldhino. Saw him in Barcelona and he ran riot, absolute legend in the making. Although I suspect this will change next season when we play Arsenal and Man Utd.

On Telly it has to be Zidane. He is simply the best player ever to have graced a football pitch. His record speaks for itself, untouchable.

This is very easy for me, George Best without a doubt. I saw him play many times and he was a pure bloody genius!. His control, balance and shooting were a joy to behold.

It is tragic how his life is today, self inflicted yes, but I will never forget him at his best, excuse the awful pun.

Wiz. You are obviously an Old Wizard. I suppose I should have known really. Your immense powers could not have been nutured overnight.
Who is going to win Euro 2004?

Seen in flesh Zidane, amazing for Madrid, the touches he does and time on the ball he has is just scary

On TV Ronaldo, he shoed his class at the last world cup

When I was in my late teens I saw this player called Darren Huckerby. UNBELIEVABLE he was. He helped us win promotion into the old "Premiership". Brilliant.

Sorry, couldn''t resist that one!!

I have to say Henry frightens the life out of me. The pace, skill and flair he has is outstanding. I''m sure he''ll have met his match when he comes up against Flem though!!

Old?, I''m bloody ancient Kathy my friend, 200 if a day. As for my crystal balls, they see I''m afraid, a majestic blue cockeral rising in mighty triumph in the skys over Portugal I''m loathed to say it, but its Viva La France, damn it.

Still what do you expect, with Venus in the 7th house at the moment, the bird you see is a powerful mystic symbol this year. And we can all attest to that, yes?.

Agree that George Best and Cantona must be high up, but one player I remember coming to Carrow Road was Tony Green, who then played for Blackpool (I know, who?), just before he was sold to Newcastle he came here and gave a display that is unlikely to be bettered. Unfortunately a knee injury prevented him from fulfilling his potential, and I am sure that most of the readers haven´´t heard of him, but I am sure some of the older members will be nodding in agreement.

the best players i have seen in the flesh has got to be giggs and cantona on there day quite simply magic on t.v henry and van basten.
ok who is the best norwich player you have seen in the flesh? mine is close between eadie, bellers and crook

In the flesh it''s probably Cantona - he was immense.

On tv, I really think Zidane is the man. The thing about the old greats (Pele, Maradona, Best, etc.) is that we only ever see their best moments, we never see when they missed a sitter or had a bad game. Every single time I watch Zidane, I''m in awe. The man just doesn''t seem to have bad games. Beckham said the other day ''Zidane''s poor match is anyone else''s man of the match performance.''

That says it all for me. He is a legend in the making, and he''s proved it at the very highest level, scoring in and winning World Cup Finals, European Cups, you name it.

It''s my ambition to go and see him in the flesh before he retires.

OTBC

I can remember Green and what a player he was as was Colin Bell ,Marsh,Bowles to name a few.When it comes to "Best Player''s" it is thought provoking and subjective.I personally try not to compare era''s because of fitness levels,weight of the ball etc.but we all have evocative memories of these players those of you that said Zidane will still remember him in 30yrs.While i dont agree that some of the older players mentioned were not as "good" as today,s they were all consistantly top class,furthermore none of today''s players had to contend with some of the tackling allowed then.I suppose we could start a new post for the
Hardest/Dirtiest player''s.I really do beleive this season we will see some true great''s of the modern game and it might be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season.

In my view Cantona was vastly over-rated - he disappeared in too many European games, doesnt get close to the levels of Henry or Viera in todays league and took Polston out after the ball had gone at FCR. I feel that Giggs is easily the best Manure player I have seen ''live'' - consistently worried Europes best defences for over 10 years. I''m not sure who the best player I have seen live is but Ruben Sosa of Uruguay - scared the pants off me every time he had the ball in our euro run.

As far as the best on telly Georghe Hagi, Romario (Barcelon 94 - tore united apart 4-0) Zizou & Johan Cruyff go damn close - JC was well ahead of his time - but Michel Platini gets it for me. Scored goals for fun from midfield in Serie A when Italian footie as ULTRA defensive and started the renaissance of French football scoring in a Euro final.

OTBC

I''m thinking about Best Ever at Carrow Road, and the one memory that really comes up is, surprisingly enough, Neville Southall. Back in the days before the pass-back rule, when I was just a fledgling Canary standing behind the goal at the River End, Boring-Boring Everton came to FCR and just kept on passing back the ball to Big Nev from the half-way line, playing out for a draw. This so incensed us our strikers that they turned in a blinder and peppered him with shot after volley after diving header. The Big Man just palmed them all away like he was swatting flies. Awesome. I spent a whole half either booing the man for another pass-back or gawping as he dove at the feet of Fleck, caught a Rosario header, or tipped a Chippy curler round the post...

...It''s quite a long time ago now, and me memory aint what it used to be, but I seem to remember that we won 1-0 in the end (Trevor Putney, anyone?!)...

Anyone seen a better keeper at Carrow Road?

Hi everyone. Have spent too much time reading all these posts in recent weeks and thought it was time i joined in.

1) Best ever player i have seen play live was Ossie Ardiles. Saw him once run the whole game from midfield while at Spurs. No one else could get the ball from him but he was always available to receive it and he commanded the whole game.
2) On tv it was Johann Cruyff. Will never forget watching the 74 world Cup. That was football played at its absolute best. He had everything.