Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Croft Out To Prove Most Of Us Wrong?

Recently there''s been alot of talk about Croft in comparison to Chadwick/Smith.Today he gets a start, and straight from the off seemed to be fit and raring to go. Seemed to have worked on his crossing dramatically in the last few days judging by what was said on the match commentary.Also played 70 minutes, reckon he could have lasted to the full 90 if needed be.For those at the game, what did people think of him? A big improvement in comparison to previous times he''s started, or his huff and puff with no result?I''m interested... =]

[quote user="hogesar"]Recently there''s been alot of talk about Croft in comparison to Chadwick/Smith.

Today he gets a start, and straight from the off seemed to be fit and raring to go. Seemed to have worked on his crossing dramatically in the last few days judging by what was said on the match commentary.

Also played 70 minutes, reckon he could have lasted to the full 90 if needed be.

For those at the game, what did people think of him? A big improvement in comparison to previous times he''s started, or his huff and puff with no result?

I''m interested... =]
[/quote]

I was there and for me Croft was close to man of the match but there were many excellent performances(in particular Dublin, Patterson, Doherty, Fotheringham, Russell and Camara). He was  full of energy, pace and invention, never stopped running and gave the Palace left back a torrid time. The whole team played much better than I have seen for many matches, possibly because Fotheringham was back. There was some one touch passing that was a joy to watch.

I was very sorry to see Croft taken off, because he did really deserve to stay on. His crossing was definitely better than usual today. Competition for places is surely working for some players in improving performances.

i wouldn''t even say prove most of us wrong. from what i''ve heard almost everybody would have prefered to see croft given a run than smith from what we''ve seen. I know I did...

i think worthy described croft as a snip or bargain when we signed him for £750k wasn''t it (didn''t he?)? i thought so too when we tore barnsley apart 5-1 early on that season.  since then, its fair to say crofty has plateaued and disappointed - until recently.   the lad is honest to the core, and always give 100% - no beefs about his attitude, its his delivery and end product that has always been a cause for concern/complaint.  many posters have labelled the boy (cruelly maybe) a headless chicken cos of this - all running, no action.he was interviewed on radio naaarffolk - and fair play - he mentioned that end product is an area he''s working on.  i''ve seen some signs from him recently, that roeder is working his magic and starting to get the best outa young crofty.  for me - he is starting to think about his delivery and where to put the ball.  in fact - the whole city team is starting to put balls into the danger areas - saw an abundance against wolves first half - shame no yella shirts were in these danger areas!!!  nevertheless, its starting to look better.  the caoching staff know what they''re talking about and obviously they are instrcuting the players correctly.  imo - their influence is having a positive impact upon young crofty, who is again showing signs of development rather than stagnation - and so NCFC may begin to reap the benefits of his talents.  as we all know, anyone can hoof a ball into the box - only the few can consistently create goal chances for others.  hucks is one - but is lacking confidence in my view - probably from knowing his talent is ebbing from his longstanding hip problem (else how could he lose 2 yards of pace in 3 years???).hopefully, crofty will cotton onto the art of creating chances - something in his brain will ''click'' - and he''ll become  a valuable member of a successful city team.

I was at the game today and I can honestly tell you that Croft was by far the best player on the pitch today, he absolutely worked his arse off today and caused the Palace LB all sorts of problems along with delivering some very dangerous balls into the box, when he was subbed off in the second half he got a huge appluase from the City fans who clearly appreciated the work he put in today and after his performance today I can''t see him not starting the next City game, so very well done to Croft.

Croft played well today, he looks a better player when we pass the ball on the ground. He worked hard and was tired when subbed but we missed him after he went off. Hucks was no replacement for Crofty today.

[quote user="London_Canary"]I was at the game today and I can honestly tell you that Croft was by far the best player on the pitch today, he absolutely worked his arse off today and caused the Palace LB all sorts of problems along with delivering some very dangerous balls into the box, when he was subbed off in the second half he got a huge appluase from the City fans who clearly appreciated the work he put in today and after his performance today I can''t see him not starting the next City game, so very well done to Croft.[/quote]Good, the last few substitute appearances he''s looked great up until the final ball. If he''s improving on that, he could finally become the right winger we need in my opinion.

Ive doubted him, but its good to hear that he''s proved me wrong today and put in a performance that we thought we would see more of when we broought him.

Well done Crofty, more of the same please!

Ive always rated Crofty, but his crossing and finishing has left a lot to be desired. Today though he was fantastic, his cross to pick out Dublin for his first half header was top drawer, and the kind of situation where previously he would have crossed the ball without looking up. Hes fast enough to give himself the time to look up and pick the right ball. Hopefully this was a sign of things to come.

Well, I definitely doubted him, and he''s now on the way to proving me wrong so good for him. I really hope he keeps it up, because how much do we need a proper winger. We haven''t had one since.... Fox? Croft was once rated as a certainty to play for England, so he has ability. What he seemed to lack was judgement, a cool head and the confidence to risk failure. If Roeder gets Crofty''s head sorted out he''ll have done us a big service. Then he should get to work on Otsemobor...

[quote user="Old Boy"]Well, I definitely doubted him, and he''s now on the way to proving me wrong so good for him. I really hope he keeps it up, because how much do we need a proper winger. We haven''t had one since.... Fox? Croft was once rated as a certainty to play for England, so he has ability. What he seemed to lack was judgement, a cool head and the confidence to risk failure. If Roeder gets Crofty''s head sorted out he''ll have done us a big service. Then he should get to work on Otsemobor...[/quote]Re. Ostemobor. When he''s behind Croft, despite Croft not being defensively minded; im sure Jon likes to get forward alot more; maybe because they link up better?Either way our right flank looks alot better with them both in the team.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Old Boy"]Well, I definitely doubted him, and he''s now on the way to proving me wrong so good for him. I really hope he keeps it up, because how much do we need a proper winger. We haven''t had one since.... Fox? Croft was once rated as a certainty to play for England, so he has ability. What he seemed to lack was judgement, a cool head and the confidence to risk failure. If Roeder gets Crofty''s head sorted out he''ll have done us a big service. Then he should get to work on Otsemobor...
[/quote]

Re. Ostemobor. When he''s behind Croft, despite Croft not being defensively minded; im sure Jon likes to get forward alot more; maybe because they link up better?

Either way our right flank looks alot better with them both in the team.
[/quote]

I agree Hogesar, I thought those two had a good understanding going earlier in the season. Let''s hope that''s the case again very soon!

I used to live in Croydon, and the thought of going there voluntarily with a hangover to sit in that awful stand in a ground where we always lose meant I didn''t make the journey.

Sounds as though Croft had a a decent game. If so, I would definitely be one of those proved wrong. In the games I''ve seen, his crossing and positional sense has been awful. He runs well with the ball at pace, but I can''t remember him actually creating a chance. I can well understand why Jimmy Smith got in the team ahead of him.

Lets hope that Croft keeps it up - it might be at the expense of Hucks, though, since I can''t see Roeder playing two midfielders who don''t add anything defensively in the same line-up.

I''d be tempted to try a five-man midfield in the Bury game, to see if it works

Evans (assuming he returns)

Huckerby - Pattison - Fotheringham - Russell - Croft

It''s the ideal 4-5-1, becoming a properly attacking 4-3-3. The only question is, do we have a striker capable of playing the lone role up front? Cureton - too small. Dublin - too slow. Strihavka - ha ha ha ha ha. Evans has the touch as long as the service is good. Brown is probably the best target man, but not exactly a natural goalscorer.

hmmm

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Lets hope that Croft keeps it up - it might be at the expense of Hucks, though, since I can''t see Roeder playing two midfielders who don''t add anything defensively in the same line-up.

It''s the ideal 4-5-1, becoming a properly attacking 4-3-3. The only question is, do we have a striker capable of playing the lone role up front? Cureton - too small. Dublin - too slow. Strihavka - ha ha ha ha ha. Evans has the touch as long as the service is good. Brown is probably the best target man, but not exactly a natural goalscorer.

hmmm

[/quote]

We had this same discussion on the way home yesterday. I agree it''s unlikely Roeder would play Huckerby and Croft together in a four man midfield. The 4-5-1 is a good way of fitting them both in but as you point out Brown would probably be the lone frontman simply because our other forwards aren''t really suited to that role. Evans could (if we get him back) but is maybe a bit young to play that role in this physical league. The alternative would be to play 442 with Hucks up front. This worked last season when he played up there with Chris Martin and I would have liked to have seen it tried with Evans. I don''t think Huckerby / Cureton would work as a pair though... but you never know....

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

I used to live in Croydon, and the thought of going there voluntarily with a hangover to sit in that awful stand in a ground where we always lose meant I didn''t make the journey.

Sounds as though Croft had a a decent game. If so, I would definitely be one of those proved wrong. In the games I''ve seen, his crossing and positional sense has been awful. He runs well with the ball at pace, but I can''t remember him actually creating a chance. I can well understand why Jimmy Smith got in the team ahead of him.

hmmm

[/quote]

You say that Dublin is too slow. I thought he was until I saw him play against Palace. In fact, I would say that it is the most I have ever seen him run around, and I was surprised at his pace. He had a great game and if he continues to play like that, I can see him doing another season at Norwich. He must be a certainty, along with all of the other starters against Palace, for the Bury game.