Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Huckerbys Contract

So the end of the season is in the horizon and we are now in a period when contracts are renewed.

Reading other threads there are mixed feelings about Hucks'' role in the team. Should he start? Is he the player he was? Should he be introduced when the opposition are tiring? Is he still are biggest threat?

If you were Glenn Roeder, what would you do?

Would you offer him a contract? Or would you free up his HUGE (apparent) wages to be used on someone else ie a Taylor?

Interested in views.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

So the end of the season is in the horizon and we are now in a period when contracts are renewed.

Reading other threads there are mixed feelings about Hucks'' role in the team. Should he start? Is he the player he was? Should he be introduced when the opposition are tiring? Is he still are biggest threat?

If you were Glenn Roeder, what would you do?

Would you offer him a contract? Or would you free up his HUGE (apparent) wages to be used on someone else ie a Taylor?

Interested in views.

[/quote]

...or a contract on lower wages.

those jumping on the bandwagon to get rid of the player

who got us promoted,

who has shown as more loyalty than many other players who have passed thru the club in the past 4 years,

who despite being written-off by by a few numpties still remarkably requires 3 players to mark him when he gets the ball,

who clamour for him to be replaced by any player who has one decent game in a blue moon,

might like to hire a big yellow taxi now ready for next season

If it were up to me,  I''d offer him a further year on his contract which I think he would take because I think he wants to stay at Norwich, despite his ''posturing'' both on and off the field, which has led to the amount of discussion on these threads.

Hucks has still got loads to offer, but he needs managing...the question for me is whether Glen and his new team can get through the man''s ego and sense of self importance to the club. With his service and time at the club it would have been good to see him vying for the captain''s position...that would be a truly great way for him to finish his time at NCFC

For me, give him another years contract and use him as a super sub. we have relied upon him for so long now we need to find someone else to fill his role. As i would have thought next season will be his last.

BTW: The bloke is a norwich legend!

I believe he should be offered another one year contract.

I think he''s currently not in his best form for whatever reason but over the last couple of seasons he has played much better in the second half of the season.

I think he would be a very effective squad player, he could be played as an impact player off the bench and if he does hit some better form then obviously he starts the game, without question.

Even during our last two home games the opposition saw fit to put two markers on him they were still scared of his attacking threat!

Over his Norwich career definately qualifies as a legend.

Agree with London Canary, offer him another year and use him as and when is required.

Hucks you''re a legend!

I''d offer him another year''s contract without a doubt. We would be mental not to want a player of his skill and quality at the age of 32/33 in our squad, in my honest opinion.

We owe him a lot, -  apart from a brief period while Ashton was with us, Hux  was our only outstanding player. Until this season he has been the largest reason for our survival in the Championship, and without him we would not have achieved promotion to the premiership. He has been very committed to the club, and maintained his fitness, even when he realised that he was playing among dross.Looking at him now, he is making a smaller contribution than others to the side and he apparently has a hip problem. All through his period with us he has been difficult to fit in to the team and he unbalances it and leaves a gaping hole down the left side. We look much more balanced without him, as on Tuesday.My head says, "Let him go", my heart says, "Keep him for one more year." Perhaps we could keep him for one further season  as a late sub to come on when others are tired. He could replace Dion as super-sub, assuming that this is Dion''s last season as a player.Perhaps he will make the decision for us, and decide that his body has had enough, or could he be joining Beckham?

Hucks could easily have left us for a bigger or better team, but he was loyal to us, so we should repay that loyalty by offering him another year. I can''t see him ever being a waste of space for us, and even if the legs aren''t quite there any more, opposing sides often double up on him, freeing up space for other players. It''d be a real shame to lose him, and it would also give us another year to try and find a suitable replacement.

I would like to see Huckerby here next season but not as an automatic choice, he is a squad player now - to be used as necessary - he doesn''t have to carry the burden of being our sole attacking threat and Roeder diidn''t play Hucks on saturday for the same reason he rested other players, he rotated over a busy schedule and done it well.

Roeder will look after Huckerby as a player and I hope he decides to play another year in the light of this fact.

who got us Promoted???? anyone who thinks Hucks single handedly took us up needs to watch a video of that season again very carefully.. he w3as 1 well oiled cog.. but he wasnt the sole reason

jas :)

Jas, without Huckerby we''d have finished mid table at best! I lost count of the games he won single handedly! Coventry away was the best example of this.Hucks, you are a LEGEND!!!!!

He is worth another contract because he can still perform at this level - if we got rid there would certainly be others in this division interested in taking him. However people need to accept a) his performance levels are bound to drop as he gets older; b) his wages ought therefore to reflect that; c) he is a strong character who needs careful management to get the best out of him and prevent him becoming a disruptive influence.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

who got us Promoted???? anyone who thinks Hucks single handedly took us up needs to watch a video of that season again very carefully.. he w3as 1 well oiled cog.. but he wasnt the sole reason

[/quote]Agreed - we had good passing and teamwork, and also the more direct approach of hitting long balls up to Iwan. He was, however, an intergral part of that team - when all else failed, get the ball out wide to Hucks and let him do the rest - numerous times he was the match-winner. I don''t think anyone would say he got us up single-handedly, but he gave us individual flair and scared opponents like nobody since Darren Eadie in his pomp. And he''s stayed here for two and a half miserable years since relegation, when he has been much better in comparison to the general quality of the team than he was in the promotion and Premiership years. Would you give him another year, Jas?

No matter what anyone says he can still win us games.Another year - I would offer him two if he wanted them. I am sorry but people go on about his pace - he is still at least two or three yards faster than most plaers he plays up against - you compare that to some of our other players and he is still fast.He also has the skill - Zola lost his pace when he was younger than Huckaby is now but it never stopped him being majestic. Huckerby may well not be as good as Zola but he is the Zola of this level.Not an automatic starter for sure but then I don''t think anyone will be under Roeder. Not even the captain.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Of course he didn''t get us promoted on his own. Everyone would except that Fleming, Mackay, Green, Holt, Francis & co (I won''t mention your other nemesis Drury ..oh whoops i did) were a top TEAM but it was Huckerby that undoubtedly made the difference between play-off contenders and Champions.

His performances may have waned, (there are probably mitigating reasons for this), and he may no longer warrant 90 minutes week-in week-out but we''ll miss him when he''s gone and there are plenty of other teams who''d gladly take him.

True, he hasnt been playing to his full potential of late and he would be the first to admit this............Huckerby on his day is a match winner.

I just hope and pray that he doesnt read all this nagativity because if I were him I would want out immediatley. After all he has done for our club.....really?

Being fair, you have to look at the situation objectively, and possibly look to answer the below questions:

1) Is Hucks providing value for money this season?

2) With his recent injury problems, and concerns about his hip, are we likely to see anywhere near his best in the future?

3) With the money we save on his contract, would this help to allow the manager to bring in another player on good money - e.g. Ameobi?

4) Are we approaching this too sentimentally, and ''passing the hat'' around, for a player who has been a great servant, but is now failing?

For me, I''d say no to points 1 and 2, and yes to 3 and 4.

Hucks WAS a great player for us, Hucks did make a massive impact on our fortunes and provided the flair and cutting edge that we''d been missing for a number of seasons. But the fact is that Hucks now is not the player he was then. His pace is slipping, his effort and determination at times are apalling, and if he''s not going to provide as strong as attacking threat as previously, can we really accept his DDD approach to the game in light of this?

It''s a tough situation, but you have to know when to let go. Arsenal did it with Henry, Pires, Ljungberg and Bergkamp, and they haven''t looked back, and being fair Henry has had injury problems due to his back (Arsenal knew this when they sold him), Ljungberg is a shadow of the player he was, Bergkamp was allowed to retire when they could have offered another year, and Pires despite playing well in Spain, wasn''t the same player since leaving.

I say we let him go in the summer, with a big thank you for his contribution to the club, and our best wishes for the future.

On a side note, if he did go to America, he''d likely tear strips out of them, as their defending in general is dire, and with Becks on the right and him on the left...

I think if he signs another contract it will be on slightly reduced wages.  As for reducing the overall wage bill, I don''t think we need worry too much about that at the moment as I reckon we could well see a mini clear out this january.

Still a really good player, still very much able to do a job at this level.  Also a bit of a talisman.