Sign in to follow this  
Beaker

Huckerby has lost it...

[quote user="Old Boy"]As far as I''m concerned, as long as you pick up the pay cheque you should put in the work. You don''t trade off what you did in the past, and IMO Huckerby''s doing that. Huckerby was indeed fantastic in is first half-season and has shown flashs since then, but they''re increasingly rare. Anyone who saw him fail to run for a good through-ball from (I think) Cureton in the Charlton game must have felt sick and angry.
[/quote]

If they only got paid when they worked hard most of our squad would have been very poor upto the beginning of Nov.

What a pathetic thread - sorry Hucks.

You are right CA about pay, bring back the win bonus is what I say and have said for ages.

It''s not a pathetic thread to be fair, it''s airing peoples views, something that we are allowed to do in this PC world we live in.

Yes Huck''s was a great player, he''s just not got that spark anymore, sorry and I know you love Huck''s and some views are hard to swallow, but like it or not we do still have the right to differing views on the same subject.  Don''t take criticism about a player personally.

Norwich will one day soon be without Huck''s, we''d better all get used to that fact. 

Happy New Year [;)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="Optimisticcanary"]2 weeks ago people on here ripped apart Doherty,  last week it was Jimmy Smith and now you start on Hucks.  Whos next???? the norwich fans owe a hell of a lot to Hucks for his contribution to not only promotion to the prem but also trying his damned hardest to keep this team going through a very bad patch.  Every good player goes through a rough patch and hes having his.  get off his back and lets see what he can do when Roeder handles January. 
[/quote] Nice one Optimistic. I was going to have my say, but CA and Rainbow have said it all for me. Just to add though, to those who think he''s a liability, just wait until he is no longer here.[/quote]

Arsenal fans said the same thing about thierry Henry.... they dont miss him either.

jas :)

[/quote]

But they have another 15 superstars[^o)]

....don''t it always seem to go, you don''t know what you''ve got till it''s gone.....

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Norwich will one day soon be without Huck''s, we''d better all get used to that fact. 

Happy New Year [;)]

[/quote]

Ive already got my head round the fact that he could be leaving this year, I''ve seen many of my favourites come and go in the past 25 yrs and life goes on without them.

What I dont understand in the thread is people calling him a liability which he isnt, lets make his last 5 months with us happy ones and show him that we appreciate his contribution to our club.

Hucks = Norwich City Legend.

Still think Hucks will be a key player for the rest of the season. Or would people rather have Lappin there!?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="Optimisticcanary"]2 weeks ago people on here ripped apart Doherty,  last week it was Jimmy Smith and now you start on Hucks.  Whos next???? the norwich fans owe a hell of a lot to Hucks for his contribution to not only promotion to the prem but also trying his damned hardest to keep this team going through a very bad patch.  Every good player goes through a rough patch and hes having his.  get off his back and lets see what he can do when Roeder handles January. 
[/quote] Nice one Optimistic. I was going to have my say, but CA and Rainbow have said it all for me. Just to add though, to those who think he''s a liability, just wait until he is no longer here.[/quote]

Arsenal fans said the same thing about thierry Henry.... they dont miss him either.

[/quote] Arsenal are in a different league to us Jas, take a look. They have eleven class players and adequate replacements. Do we?

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Happy New Year [;)]

[/quote]

Ive already got my head round the fact that he could be leaving this year, I''ve seen many of my favourites come and go in the past 25 yrs and life goes on without them.

What I dont understand in the thread is people calling him a liability which he isnt, lets make his last 5 months with us happy ones and show him that we appreciate his contribution to our club.

Hucks = Norwich City Legend.

[/quote] Agreed CA. Think the main reason is some posters can''t get to grips with some of the contributing factors such as his chronic hip injury. None of us are getting any younger and age does take its toll, especially on athletes. Still lets not have this get in the way for others to continually slag him off at every opportunity. I am sure he knows the majority of city fans still value his years of good service to the club and the good times he has helped deliver. So very sad that some find it necessary to pick on him rather than look at the bigger picture of our continuing demise as a club over the past three seasons.

The title of this thread makes me sick! and some City ''fans?'' have bloody short memories!. Hucks almost single handidly  saved this club from relegation last year and he was instrumental in getting us promoted too.

The non entity who started this thread should hang his head in shame!.[:@]

Huckerby is a Norwich legend.

He sparked our promotion and performed in the Premier League with distinction.

Huckerby is a footballing professional; he playes most games; displays passion; takes care of himself and in the over-inflated world of player wages gives the Club value for money.

But, I don''t accept the over the hill arguments at his age - his stamina should be at it''s peak and 32 is not old for the modern strier. Okay he has had injuries but these do not excuse his lack of effectiveness.

Huckerby''s challenge is to change and adapt his game, he cannot just go for raw pace because defenders in the Championship have more pace too and he is blessed with genuine skill which, unlike say: Darren Eadie give him a wide range of options.

I want to see Hucks bring others into the game earlier - not after he has tried to skin two players - and be more patient. He needs to change his mentality and stop seeing himself as the Club''s great hope waiting for more quality to arrive.

Huckerby still has a great deal to offer - Roeder can help him - he just needs to find the real deep down desire.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Huckerby is a footballing professional; he playes most games; displays passion; takes care of himself and in the over-inflated world of player wages gives the Club value for money.

But, I don''t accept the over the hill arguments at his age - his stamina should be at it''s peak and 32 is not old for the modern strier. Okay he has had injuries but these do not excuse his lack of effectiveness.

Huckerby''s challenge is to change and adapt his game, he cannot just go for raw pace because defenders in the Championship have more pace too and he is blessed with genuine skill which, unlike say: Darren Eadie give him a wide range of options.

I want to see Hucks bring others into the game earlier - not after he has tried to skin two players - and be more patient. He needs to change his mentality and stop seeing himself as the Club''s great hope waiting for more quality to arrive.

Huckerby still has a great deal to offer - Roeder can help him - he just needs to find the real deep down desire.

[/quote]

Good, now what about the Directing board and the Chief Exec then? Are they also a spent force? Or are they going to quaff some potent elixir or special water from the Magical Wensum pumped into the boardroom, that will lubricate, invigorate, refresh and recharge their stale mantra? Or, will we just carry on ''Steptoe and Son'' style - with poor ole ageing and lookin'' forlorn Hercules (the board), draggin'' the cart, and are "clippety clippety clop - clapped out, and about to drop?"

We''ve all got a life-span........Not just the playing squad.......  

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

The title of this thread makes me sick! and some City ''fans?'' have bloody short memories!. Hucks almost single handidly  saved this club from relegation last year and he was instrumental in getting us promoted too.

[/quote]

To be fair though Wiz, as much as most Huckerby fans want to think he is still the player he was 3 years ago, even some of those are now saying he''s lost that Huck''s Magic, that special ability to be able to keep hold of the ball, skim players and go for goal.  We don''t have short memories at all, Huck''s did blooming well, but once again players can''t be allowed to forever live on past glories can they?

I don''t know why he''s changed so much this season, but the commentators on radio norfolk have even said Huck''s hasnt been his best this season.  If that''s his hip problems who knows.

All players at one time or another come in for criticism from fans, and differing views is a good thing IMHO in a society where we are lucky to be able to say how we feel and not get locked up for it.

Some of the topics yourself ''Wiz'' have started I am sure have made peoples blood boil, but you are free to say what you feel and people will contribute their opinions, that''s what forums are for after all. [:)]

[quote user="Old Boy"]As far as I''m concerned, as long as you pick up the pay cheque you should put in the work. You don''t trade off what you did in the past, and IMO Huckerby''s doing that. Huckerby was indeed fantastic in is first half-season and has shown flashs since then, but they''re increasingly rare. Anyone who saw him fail to run for a good through-ball from (I think) Cureton in the Charlton game must have felt sick and angry.
[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY!

It didn''t strike me as a hopeless case and he should have made the effort...his actions speak louder than words and what he did there was downright disrespectful to Curo''...that''s how I saw it anyway.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

And what makes you NOT a NON ENTITY Wizard....4961 posts? If you have so much disdain for a fellow poster why did you bother responding?

PS dont bother responding to this Wiz...unless 4962 posts is too attractive a prospect to your ego.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]agree rude old - that if hucks has lost his magical pace, (probably due to his hip problem, and so can''t beat 2 men at once - then at least he should be using his experience to put over quality ball sooner.  i have to say, that hucks of late isn''t delivering to his usual high standards - he seems to be shooting when he should be passing to a collegue in a better position, and passing when he could be shooting.  conclusion - he''s not scoring and  not goal assisting - something we''ve got used to and spoiled by to a certain extent.  in recent matches, i''ve seen hucks get to the bye-line, round the last defender and approach the corner of the 6 yard box - only to shoot to the top far corner (where he''s scored some great goals for city) - only for the chot to blast over.  before pulling the trigger - poor jimmy smith has made his run and unmarked on the 6th yard box is waiting for a pull back for a shot in a better position, only to throw his hands up in despair.  such efforts are great when they work, and we all applaud the goal, but appear wasteful and selfish whenthey don''t come off.  i think hucks needs a goal now, and/or a decent goal assist to help the boy get over his blip.  he''ll come good again - quality always does - but it seems his physical loss of pace is adversely affecting his ability and confidence now.  trying to get the old god to try new tricks is all well and good rude old - but accepting he has to is probably painful and frustrating to a player of such ability.  still - as he saying goes - adapt/change or die!!!

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]

[quote user="Old Boy"]As far as I''m concerned, as long as you pick up the pay cheque you should put in the work. You don''t trade off what you did in the past, and IMO Huckerby''s doing that. Huckerby was indeed fantastic in is first half-season and has shown flashs since then, but they''re increasingly rare. Anyone who saw him fail to run for a good through-ball from (I think) Cureton in the Charlton game must have felt sick and angry.[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY!

It didn''t strike me as a hopeless case and he should have made the effort...his actions speak louder than words and what he did there was downright disrespectful to Curo''...that''s how I saw it anyway.

[/quote]He could have got there. He didn''t move, and then when he realised that he could have made it, he started to run. But of course it was too late by then. As for how we''ll cope without him, the first three-quarters of yesterday''s game seem to show that we''ll do OK. He didn''t exactly move the game up a notch when he came on.

I am shocked and disappointed in what some people think of Huckerby, he is a city legend. Yes he hasn`t performed this season to his usual high standards, but i believe that is mainly due to his hip problem not his age and yes he does have to adapt to the change but he is still a match winner.

I just hope when he does go he is given the respect he deserves and a send off similar to Iwans that we can be proud of, it is just a shame if this is his last season with us he won''t finish with Norwich in such a similar way. 

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

I am shocked and disappointed in what some people think of Huckerby, he is a city legend. Yes he hasn`t performed this season to his usual high standards, but i believe that is mainly due to his hip problem not his age and yes he does have to adapt to the change but he is still a match winner.

I just hope when he does go he is given the respect he deserves and a send off similar to Iwans that we can be proud of, it is just a shame if this is his last season with us he won''t finish with Norwich in such a similar way. 

[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more with your post. Like I said the other day : Of course Huckerby is no longer the player he used to be. You don''t have to be a genius to recognise that as a player moves inexorably into his 30''s, especially a player such as Hucks, the legs start to go. Not only that but is is a well known fact that he he hasn''t been fully fit for some time. However, he still has much to offer both in terms of his experience but also as a "super sub" who could come on with, say, 20 minutes to go, give it his all for that short space of time, force the other side into a radical change of tactics and turn the game. Let''s also not forget the debt of loyalty that we owe him. I''m not saying that we should keep him on only through a sense of loyalty. Of course, that would be idiotic but don''t turn on him when, finally,  he no longer has enough to offer. Anyway, my opinion is that, for the reasons already stated, we and the club  should continue to back him as long as he continues to want our backing ....... and he may not !

So maybe now the majority of us have decided that Hucks has maybe lost a little of his pace recently ( maybe due to his hip injury) and that he hasn''t played too well the last few games could we bring this thread to a close??

Sorry, I should have added the usual rider to my last post - Hux was an absolute star in his first half-season and got us promoted (together with a mighty defence), and a great player in patches in his second.

[quote user="Old Boy"]Sorry, I should have added the usual rider to my last post - Hux was an absolute star in his first half-season and got us promoted (together with a mighty defence), and a great player in patches in his second.
[/quote]

Yes and don''t forget oldboy, a player like Hucks does better when the ball is played to feet, not something we have seen much of since Worthy signed all those crappers on relegation, and Grant was a clown of the highest order.  I think we will see more of Hucks performing well under Roeder.

I also think he will prove more than useful as a sub during the end of this, his last season at the club.

Pattison on the left... fozzy in the middle... Hucks on the bench...

i got it spot on....

and Saturdays Lottery numbers are....

But Seriously. Roeders no fool... he is planning for a side without Huckerby, be he retiring, Joining Galaxy or whatever... of course its up to the players to prove they can cope without Hucks... And thats what roeder is trying to do with his team selections... Hucks is a bit parter now.... is Roeder gradually phasing him out for younger, fresher legs?  i think so... come august we will be remembering what Hucks did for us in the past... but we might also be thinking "darren who" as we prove we can cope without him in the side.

i got it spot on....

But Seriously. Roeders no fool... he is planning for a side without Huckerby, be he retiring, Joining Galaxy or whatever... of course its up to the players to prove they can cope without Hucks... And thats what roeder is trying to do with his team selections... Hucks is a bit parter now.... is Roeder gradually phasing him out for younger, fresher legs?  i think so... come august we will be remembering what Hucks did for us in the past... but we might also be thinking "darren who" as we prove we can cope without him in the side.

[/quote]

I don''t fully agree with what you are saying Jas but I can''t explain why because CityAngel wants this thread closed now.

[/quote]I agree - i noted Lappin among the subs v Palace. That''s as near to an appearance as he''s got since Plymouth.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

I agree - i noted Lappin among the subs v Palace. That''s as near to an appearance as he''s got since Plymouth.
[/quote]

Whether or not Roeder is actively planning for a side without Hucks remains to be seen. He may sign for another season and, as I have already said in my earlier post, Hucks offers invaluable experience and quality to a developing side and can still productively contribute on the field. Roeder has no choice but to experiment with " contingency " teams because it is irresponsible (and has been for a long time now) to rely so heavily on one player whether or not he is planning to leave the club or, indeed, the club is planning to let him go. The subject of this thread was "Huckerby has lost it ....." so the debate has really revolved around this assertion - which of course was far to simplistic - not Roeder''s plans, which no one would dispute, for a team without Hucks whether due to injury or departure.

[quote user="The Bishop"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i got it spot on....

[/quote]

I don''t fully agree with what you are saying Jas but I can''t explain why because CityAngel wants this thread closed now.

[/quote]

you are entitled to your opinion Bishop.. why dont u agree?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="The Bishop"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i got it spot on....

[/quote]

[/quote]

you are entitled to your opinion Bishop.. why dont u agree?

[/quote]

I thought that cityangel (is she really web team - Kath in disguise ?) wanted to conclude the thread and I was just being obedient ! Seriously, I do agree with what you say because, whichever way you look at it, Roeder must explore options which do not include Hucks. We have been so lucky to have had a player of such high calibre and I can''t see him being replaced so a new era is definitely dawning and the feeling that I have is that Roeder is developing more of a a team which over time has got to be a good thing. I''m not given to excessive optimism but, assuming some of the loan signings are extended and more players come in including Taylor, I have not given up on the play-offs ! Blimey, did I really say that.

CA, I think you''re getting a bit worked up about nothing on this thread. Very few people are criticising Hucks'' immense contribution to this football club. Certainly he''s brought me more pleasure than almost any other player I can think of in nearly 25 years of supporting City. They''re just saying that he looks past his best, which on this season''s evidence is certainly an opinion that could be supported.

I think the question is whether Hucks can adapt and become a slightly different player in the twilight of his career. In the Charlton and Wolves games, he played like he always does - head down, running at defenders. But he never looked likely to skin anyone, and his final ball was as it has always been: ropey to say the least.

So can Hucks change his game a little? Play with his head up a bit more, look to give the early pass and get it back, and to use his ability to beat defenders on fewer but more effective occasions. In other words, can he do, at a lower level, what Giggs has done for Man Utd? You don''t see Giggs skinning players the way he used to, but he never wastes the ball. Obviously Giggs is a truly great player, but I would argue that Huckerby is his equivalent in the division below.

I hope Hucks can become a major part of a successful second half to the season, either in a slightly different incarnation, or as a impact player from the bench. And I hope he can be instrumental in building the team that will come after him.

When he retires we should definitely name a cul-de-sac after him.

[quote user="The Bishop"]

I thought that cityangel (is she really web team - Kath in disguise ?)

[/quote]

Didnt think  there was a Kath on the WebTeam, thought her name was Celia?

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

CA, I think you''re getting a bit worked up about nothing on this thread. Very few people are criticising Hucks'' immense contribution to this football club. Certainly he''s brought me more pleasure than almost any other player I can think of in nearly 25 years of supporting City. They''re just saying that he looks past his best, which on this season''s evidence is certainly an opinion that could be supported.

I think the question is whether Hucks can adapt and become a slightly different player in the twilight of his career. In the Charlton and Wolves games, he played like he always does - head down, running at defenders. But he never looked likely to skin anyone, and his final ball was as it has always been: ropey to say the least.

So can Hucks change his game a little? Play with his head up a bit more, look to give the early pass and get it back, and to use his ability to beat defenders on fewer but more effective occasions. In other words, can he do, at a lower level, what Giggs has done for Man Utd? You don''t see Giggs skinning players the way he used to, but he never wastes the ball. Obviously Giggs is a truly great player, but I would argue that Huckerby is his equivalent in the division below.

I hope Hucks can become a major part of a successful second half to the season, either in a slightly different incarnation, or as a impact player from the bench. And I hope he can be instrumental in building the team that will come after him.

When he retires we should definitely name a cul-de-sac after him.

[/quote]

How about a one way street because he never tracks back !