Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Lyle

Norwich - The last ever Division One Champions

From next season the Football League has decided to rename Nationwide Division One as the Coca-Cola Championship.

Division Two and Three are now Division One and Two respectively. Everyone has been promoted - no one is allowed to be a loser anymore it seems.

Grim.
One more step on the ladder to the complete corporate whoring of the beautiful game.
Why can''t they just be happy with "the Nationwide 1st Division" or "the Coca Cola 1st Division" They have to steal the whole bloody identity of the thing, making it meaningless.

Herb

Hang on, I''ve just thought....if this is the last one, do we get to keep the trophy, or does it get handed down to the new D1?

I think I might start a campaign to keep the trophy at Carrow Road. :D

Nice one YC, olive branch duly extended :)

The thing is, although I see advertising is required for any club, its more about how much its allowed to encroach on the business in hand. Football.

And lets not blame Coca Cola, its the league thats sold out. I''m assuming the decison lies with them. I don''t expect big multinationals to behave with reverance to great traditions and institutions. Experience has taught me better than than.

I do, however, expect the custodians of the national game to do this, and on this occasion it seems they''ve been found out.

I still think we should keep the trophy if it goes ahead though (hey, if they can be greedy, why can''t I?) ;)

Herb

Yankee, it''s nice to be able to agree with you.

Why would they do this?! It completely winds me up when faceless corporations ignore everybody outside their own boardroom. If you can find me one football fan/supporter who thinks it''s a good idea to change the league names to these meaningless titles, then I''ll bow down to their power.

They should remember they sponsor the league, they don''t own it and shouldn''t force the FA into this malarky. Ask us first, otherwise they can stick football where the sun don''t shine.

Jonzey, I believe it is Sir Brian Mawhinney, chairman of the Football League not Coca Cola or the FA who sanctioned the rebranding of the League. This is an effort to make it appear trendy and new yet does away with tradition in favour of razzamattaz (great word!). There is a flash new logo as well.

It makes you wonder whether the Football League would have been better off allocating the money sent on the change of image to help the more unfortunate in the game.Tradition doesnt have a place in football anymore and thats a great shame.