Sign in to follow this  
henners

RIP England National Team

Is anyone else out there as outraged as I am that we are likely to have 5 Italians running the England National team? oh apart from the token English representative yet to be announced. Dont get me wrong Cappello is a world class manager but for me the National Team should be all about England. I was far from happy when Sven was appointed but at least he had an English support team (apart from Ulrika!) but this latest appointement just goes to show how little English pride the folks at the FA have. Ok so the English names do not have CVs laiden with trophies but I there are many great motivators who would be able to get the best out of a very high quality bunch of players. I would have loved to have seen a team of Pearce, Shearer, Adams and Seaman working under a more experienced English coach. It would have instilled a great amount of national pride and also would have been a darn sight cheaper than employing Capello at 6.5m a year plus his 4 buddies.

Anyways that is my rant over, England RIP

Not as outraged as I am that in the twenty-first century there are still people who, despite the failure of the McLaren era and the Keegan era before him, would still rather see a bunch of second-rate managers given the England job just because they are English.

Who would your "experienced English coach" be?

For once, I find myself agreeing with the FA - Cappello is the right man for the job.  Good luck to him.

1st comment

everyone says get an englishman etc.. who is there? redknapp (no chance last week) coppell (no chance because of past) allardyce (no chance currently)

everyone says m.o.n he not english last i checked

2nd comment

im repeating what ian wright said on talksport yesterday

do you see the germans appointing a foreign coach? no

do you see the italians appointing a foriegn coach? no

dutch? no, spanish? no

so why do england need to?

[quote user="henners"]

Is anyone else out there as outraged as I am that we are likely to have 5 Italians running the England National team? oh apart from the token English representative yet to be announced. Dont get me wrong Cappello is a world class manager but for me the National Team should be all about England. I was far from happy when Sven was appointed but at least he had an English support team (apart from Ulrika!) but this latest appointement just goes to show how little English pride the folks at the FA have. Ok so the English names do not have CVs laiden with trophies but I there are many great motivators who would be able to get the best out of a very high quality bunch of players. I would have loved to have seen a team of Pearce, Shearer, Adams and Seaman working under a more experienced English coach. It would have instilled a great amount of national pride and also would have been a darn sight cheaper than employing Capello at 6.5m a year plus his 4 buddies.

[/quote]

Who is your more experienced coach?  Plus the people you have listed are either failed managers or ex-players who have shown no interest in coaching/management.

English managers and staff is the preferable way but it''s not viable right now.  If Capello is the right man then he needs his own team, not a bunch of Englishmen the FA have picked out for him.

[quote user="we8wba"]

im repeating what ian wright said on talksport yesterday

do you see the germans appointing a foreign coach? no

do you see the italians appointing a foriegn coach? no

dutch? no, spanish? no

[/quote]

Quite simple. Because there is no one good enough to do the job. I can''t believe this is still an argument after the last 18 months of England performances.

If the Australian Rugby Team can swallow their pride and hire a Kiwi coach (anounced this morning), I''m sure the English public can get over it and get behind Capello.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Not as outraged as I am that in the twenty-first century there are still people who, despite the failure of the McLaren era and the Keegan era before him, would still rather see a bunch of second-rate managers given the England job just because they are English.

For once, I find myself agreeing with the FA - Cappello is the right man for the job.  Good luck to him.

[/quote]

That''s not what the first poster wa saying, surely! The point was made that the backroom staff should be English to then (hopefully) gradually groom one of them to succeed Cappello in a few years time.

So McLaren and Keegan were ''failures'' as you put it? Maybe but Keegan got us to Euro 2000 did  he not?  Venables (although I don''t like him) got us to Euro ''96 semi finals and penalties! So he is clearly second rate and a failure despite that was he?  

Fact is that English managers are being ignored at the very top level of the game in this country, that''s the problem! Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham are obsessed with foreign managers.When Ferguson retires United will probably go foreign (or Welsh - Hughes) whilst Wenger will no doubt recommend some unknown French coach for his job!

russia did better then us with a foriegn coach, sven had a excellent record under england only lost 3 competitive games, qualified for every tournament and 3 quarter finals, better then a lot of other coaches, funny enough didnt brasil do well under a foriegn coach,

What a load of bull.  How would having a coaching team of Seaman, Shearer, etc (wow what coaching experience they have between them!) give pride in being English, particularly when we probably go and fail to qualify for another major championship!

I have no problem with a foreign coach as long as there is no other alternative, and there isnt one English coach I would trust with the national job at the moment.  The only ''British'' coaches worthwhile are O''Neill and Hughes, and neither would want it at the moment.

Taking that into account, we want the best available, and that is most definitely Capello.  Plenty of countries have foreign coaches, including Russia and Poland who are GOING to Euro 2008.

As long as it''s eleven Englishmen knocking the ball about, I couldn''t care less where the coaching staff come from. If we do well in the next World Cup I think all quibbles about the nationality of the manager and his staff will soon be forgotten.

They could be 5 Martians for all I care.

If they can turn round 40 years of failure they will do for me.

They could put the Pope in charge for all I care. If the Italians can make us in to a proper team and an International force, I''ll be bloody thrilled.

Let''s face it, which Englishman do you think could actually do a decent job?

for all the BS about Hoddle his win rate was on par with Ramsey, he lost the job due to non football issues and we lost a good NATIONAL manager with that decision. We should at least start grooming the next coach within the set up.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

Steve Mclaren anyone??

[/quote]

quite agreed, i wanted foreign coach if not home nations manager in m.o.n

i dont believe there is an englishman for the job, the question is why though??

[quote user="henners"]

Is anyone else out there as outraged as I am that we are likely to have 5 Italians running the England National team?

[/quote]

Not me. Just a thought, but who are the current World Cup holders?

Six  ...  and  ...  a  ...  half  ...  MILLION  ...  pounds  ...  a  ...  yearFor four years! By which time he''ll be 65, Italian retirement age.Mmmmm...So what attracted you to the England job, Mr Capello?I see the spectre of Beckham in the background, intent on one last chance to let the country down on the big stage.Mind you, the fact that Alan Hansen thinks he''s the man for the job gives me a lot of confidence Tongue Tied [:S]Though how a Scotsman who works in the Produce department of Morrison''s feels able to judge, I don''t know. I remember when Justin Fashanu made you look a complete idiot and you''re not looking much better now.

lets look at past experiences in my opinion we done better with sven then any of our other recent managers who have all been english! i dont care what nationality he is aslong as he brings results mclaren was english enough said about that

There isnt an English coach out there at the moment who is good enough - when the best we have is a honest hard working but ultimately trophyless Harry Redknapp there is no alternative to a ''foreign'' coach.   My only real issue with Capello is the language thing - can he communicate his ideas as effectively through a translator? but that is a small point compared to having no coaching/managerial talent or a record of mediocrity.

When was the last time the prem league/Div 1 title was won by an ENGLISH manager?  Was it Howard Wilkinson? [+o(]  and before him howard kendal?   And thats 20 years of football up.  If our top clubs know that English coaches are no good how can we criticise the FA for making the same (in thios case accurate) assessment?

amongst all the Capello anecdotes that I’ve read this week there’s one that perfectly sums up his win-at-all-costs mentality and ‘iron fist’ managerial style. During an AC Milan pre-season friendly in China in 1996, Capello withdrew striker Paolo Di Canio at half-time to protect a 1-0 lead.

When Di Canio asked ‘Why are you so obsessed with the result of a friendly?’ Capello retorted: ‘You are an ugly c*nt and your face looks like a penis.’ Capello Gold!

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/4185/

For me Harry Redknapp should have been given a 2 year deal, when it comes to the national team it should be a 2 year rolling contract, not 4 years etc so if they get sacked like crap mac they get a hefty pay out. On Fabio cappello you cant fault his track record hes done it all. But i would love to have seen Harry given a 2 year deal. What hes done at Pompey is the equivelent of man utd winning the treble and the champions league. Good luck though Fabio.

It is quite amazing that some people want a successful England side but seem determined to undermine it by appointing a second rate loser just so that we have an English boss.   There simply is no one who is English and up to the job, meanwhile Capello is one of the best managers in the world.  It really is as simple as that.

What are some of you on?

I bet you''re the same people who are all for having foreign managers over run the Premiership? So what''s the problem with having a foreign coach of the national team? The players are English and they are the ones who will be on the pitch, not Capello. People want an English coach just for the hell of it, when the fact is there simply aren''t any with a track record - and the only English managers coming through are in the lower leagues - because the Prem has been over run by foreign managers....see the point I''m making here?

Would you prefer a pathetic excuse for a manager in the shape of Stuart Pearce or Gareth Southgate in charge just so we can say we''re English? The appointment of Capello is a brilliant one and I don''t see how anyone can complain about it.

[quote user="henners"]

[/quote]

Yes I share your outrage. I think it is a f**kin disgrace that our national team is run by Italians. I want to go to Soho Square and smash every single one of those FA idiots straight in the face. If anyone is going to ruin the chance of me and you ever seeing an England team win a trophy it is them.

Bloody FA idiots should go back to private school and start again.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

And whats your opinion on "second rate" English players? Should we ship in a few Italian playhers too? England Team. Englash players. English Coaches. England. English. England. English. England. English.

get it?

I would much prefer an English coach, but there is nobody suitable. The fact that there are no suitable English coaches is just another sign of the complete mess the FA are making of our game. Another sign is the lack of depth of quality of English players at an international level. I think the FA are mainly completely incompetant, but I think they made the right appointment this time.

you go to italy and lots of the managers are italian you to spain they are spanish

you come here and we have allways been  over run with forigners  be them scots/irish/welsh or what ever still not english

its a long running problem not just a new one there has to be a limit on how many non english players and staff a team can field or employ

that way more english will move into coaching but this will take years