Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Turning point in season

I always remember the season where we had Huckerby on loan and the announcement that we had reached a deal and he was to sign for City permanently. I knew for a fact that was the turning point of the season and so it proved.

I am also convinced that we have reached a similar point in this season and with the inability of the board and manager to reach a deal over Taylor we are I am afraid certain to be relegated. I had real faith in Roeder and he at last seemed to realise that our defence was our real weakness and did something Grant should have done months ago. The result is there for all to see, we are winning often by the odd goal. Crucially our defence is starting to gain confidence and holding out through sustained periods of pressure. Taylor was clearly the catalyst for this change and became a firm favourite of the fans.

If the only reason we didnt get him is the 1million price tag then I have to say the manager and the board are fools . He is worth every penny of that which our rivals in the Championship realise and I am sure one of them will soon snap him up. There are times for caution and times to be bold and this was one time Roeder had to stand by this signing. Now we are essentially left with the Doherty/ Shackell combination that have leaked goals like a seize the past year and a half, and reliant on Dion should one get injured or suspended. Dont get me wrong Dion is a great player but he is injury prone and as he even admits getting on a bit.

So when Huckerby joined I knew and predicted we would go up I am just as convinced that we will go down this year. I suspect after finishing up bottom again by the New Year, Roeder will also have seen enough and will clear off too. The only good that will come out of this is that Doncaster and the rest will also go. That at least will be something to celebrate about!

If Roeder says Brum were being difficult, let''s take his word for it. It wouldn''t be the first time they''ve done this.

This is not the time to bark at the board - judge them by the transfer window.

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"]

If Roeder says Brum were being difficult, let''s take his word for it. It wouldn''t be the first time they''ve done this.

[/quote]

What a strange post KJoS. This is all about the transfer window, is it not? The figures being quoted on here say Brum are asking between 1-1.25 mill for a player who wishes to come to Norwich and doesn''t want to live in London. Brum are not being difficult, QPR are preparedto pay that price. The difficulty lies with our board who cannot see that a player who has been a major part in our four wins out of five, dragging us out of the relegation zone is not worth what we paid for our keeper.

How much will relegation cost us?

YH

If, as it seems, that Taylor was happy to come here but we were not prepared to pay what Birmingham''s, or a rival bidder''s, valuation of Taylor is.

At that point you have to ask,

Are the board being sensible?

Are the board spineless and lacking in ambition?

Are the Turners a pointless addition to the board?

If not why don''t they lend another million on easy terms so that we can buy Taylor and they become sanctified?

Was Doncaster''s latest piece designed to set us all up for the fact Taylor isn''t coming?

Why did Roeder say that the board had done all they could, is he putting a brave face on it or does he believe it?

If the board are supporters, surely they want Taylor to come too, so why isn''t he coming?

Surely as an ambitious yet prudent set up they realise the cost of relegation far outweighs whatever they spend now or January? 

Are Glen and the board really happy to, to quote the great man, ''go with what we''ve got''?

Do the board think we are now free from relegation worries and it''s business as usual with Carrow Road sold out for Christmas?

How are we as supporters, who have enjoyed a heady last few weeks of success and excitement, now expected to respond to this, given that it can only be viewed as a completely negative outcome at the end of a wholly positive period?

[quote user="CJ"]

With the inability of the board and manager to reach a deal over Taylor we are I am afraid certain to be relegated.

[/quote]

Please never post on this site again until someone''s inserted some brain cells into that head of yours.  If you knew how ridiculous you sounded, you''d wish for the ''delete'' button.

Until someone tells us for certain what QPR bid, then this argument is pointless. It has been suggested in another thread that they were prepared to go to 2.5 million - it is undeniable they have a pot of cash to spend. Who would be praising the board if we''d just agreed to spend that much on Taylor.

Nothing is done and dusted. How many times did we read in the summer that so and so have been linked, we have made an offer, they are joining us etc ?One thing I know for certain is almost every player who has joined has come out of the blue (no pun intented) so why not wait and see before posting up infantile rants.You''ve no idea what money is available, what was asked, who has made a firm bid and what the situation will be come 31st Jan.If you believe the speculation in the press then you are bigger idiots than even your posts suggest.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Until someone tells us for certain what QPR bid, then this argument is pointless.

It has been suggested in another thread that they were prepared to go to 2.5 million - it is undeniable they have a pot of cash to spend. Who would be praising the board if we''d just agreed to spend that much on Taylor.
[/quote]

Not sure where this ludicrous 2.5 million figure has come from.  Certainly not any of the news items on the subject.

[quote user="yellow hammer"][quote user="King Juan of Spain"]

[/quote]

What a strange post KJoS. This is all about the transfer window, is it not? The figures being quoted on here say Brum are asking between 1-1.25 mill for a player who wishes to come to Norwich and doesn''t want to live in London. Brum are not being difficult, QPR are preparedto pay that price. The difficulty lies with our board who cannot see that a player who has been a major part in our four wins out of five, dragging us out of the relegation zone is not worth what we paid for our keeper.

How much will relegation cost us?

YH

[/quote]

We could choose to go on what you claim to know or what Roeder says happened. And I''d take his word over yours every time. It''s pretty clear what happened if you read the full interview with Roeder, and it was all Birmingham.

Let us get this clear everybody has the right of free speech in this country and if you dont like it then go away to somewhere where that doesnt happen.

Lets just see who is right then at the end of the season. I suspect I have been watching and playing football far more years than you have and with experience you will also read the signs. Over the summer it was quite clear that Grant was losing the plot and I said then on this message board if he didnt get a solid centre back team we would start losing heavily and he would be out in months. And hey presto he was.

Roeder has inherited a team with that defect and he knows without that his team will fail. Read his words about Taylor! It is clear he was desperate to keep him. At the first real hurdle the Board have kopped out again and we will now have to rely on the old pair with some vital matches coming up. The Board will continue to bottle at prices and we will end up with nothing like the quality of Taylor introduced into a failing defence. The rest will be history.

What I think most fans must find gawling is Coventry and Ipswich find benefactors willing to chip in to clubs with far worst debt yet we with a top five attendance record can not even have the same ambition as QPR and match their bid. Have you seen the crowds they have to rely on!

Roeder has been around.Iit will not take him long to realise that all the other clubs he is fighting against are being backed for survival with real money and he will be off, just like Martin O Neill

Apparently Neil and the board are going to go back to Karen Brady with a new and improved offer of £100k in 12 month installments, Simon Lapin on loan for the season and a complementary diner at Yellows.

I think Roeder has about 1.5mil to spend, the problem being if 1mil+ goes on Taylor then there is no money for the signings of Patterson and Camara. Taylor is important but not at the expence of having to wait till the end of the season to get Patterson and Camara signed up. Think we wanted to pay 800-900k for Tiny which would leave enough money for the other two and then the ability to bring in another couple of loans in jan. any thoughts?

I thought Taylor was great too and he seemed to give his all on the pitch but I must say that in the Gunn Club after he had been made "man o'' the match" on Saturday Taylor did not sound very enthusiastic about staying at Norwich even when pushed very hard by Jerry Goss who was doing the interview.

If I was under contract with a Premiership Club, 28 years old, settled in Birmingham with Christmas coming up...... would I want to come to a club threatened with relegation from the second tier?

I think not.

We will know if the failure to get Taylor was a "Turning Point" after the Colchester game this evening. If Norwich loose it will be the turning point and that is for sure.

brum accepted £1m offer by qpr - he didn''t want to go. say city offer £750000 - thats the new market price - if no other teams are interested.  brum could choose to sell now to us - or with jan window looming, they probably believe they can get £1m for their man or more if an auction develops.  therefore, if they have no financial need to sell - why should they???from city''s point of view - we tried to tough it out - and get an ''unhappy player'' on the cheap - BUT - if we lose the next 4 games and are bottom going into the new year cos grappling doc, nervy shax, flappy marshall and headless chicken semmy all revert to pre-taylor type - then the £250000 or whatever the amount is, begins to look very expensive.

[quote user="CJ"]

Let us get this clear everybody has the right of free speech in this country and if you dont like it then go away to somewhere where that doesnt happen.

Lets just see who is right then at the end of the season. I suspect I have been watching and playing football far more years than you have and with experience you will also read the signs. Over the summer it was quite clear that Grant was losing the plot and I said then on this message board if he didnt get a solid centre back team we would start losing heavily and he would be out in months. And hey presto he was.

Roeder has inherited a team with that defect and he knows without that his team will fail. Read his words about Taylor! It is clear he was desperate to keep him. At the first real hurdle the Board have kopped out again and we will now have to rely on the old pair with some vital matches coming up. The Board will continue to bottle at prices and we will end up with nothing like the quality of Taylor introduced into a failing defence. The rest will be history.

What I think most fans must find gawling is Coventry and Ipswich find benefactors willing to chip in to clubs with far worst debt yet we with a top five attendance record can not even have the same ambition as QPR and match their bid. Have you seen the crowds they have to rely on!

Roeder has been around.Iit will not take him long to realise that all the other clubs he is fighting against are being backed for survival with real money and he will be off, just like Martin O Neill

[/quote]

Have you been reading my mind CJ, because I just could not agree more with every point in your post.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Until someone tells us for certain what QPR bid, then this argument is pointless.

It has been suggested in another thread that they were prepared to go to 2.5 million - it is undeniable they have a pot of cash to spend. Who would be praising the board if we''d just agreed to spend that much on Taylor.
[/quote]

Not sure where this ludicrous 2.5 million figure has come from.  Certainly not any of the news items on the subject.

[/quote]

The 2.5m is a combined bid for both Taylor & Vine (who is already there).  I think the board are playing this right at the moment.  Birmingham have agreed a fee with a club Taylor doesn''t want to join.  It is only right we hold out for the best price to suit us, we connot be held to ransom.  If Taylor really wants to be here, and I think that maybe he does then we should be able to get him for £200,000 less than the price quoted.

Don''t forget that Birmingham are playing hardball now.  But McLeish will want a transfer kitty come january 1st just like us.

[quote user="yellow hammer"]

[/quote]So judge it on the window then not chittle chattle on a fans board. Taylor has no great desire to come here and his comments regarding London were general not specific. He could live in oxfordshire and be at QPR traing ground in 90 minutes...... Brum in 75. Nowhere near London. Nobody really believes he would live in Scrubs Lane, so thats not an issue. The issue is that we set a valuation, Brum are asking £500k more which QPR are prepared to pay. They are also offering significantly more in wages which would certainly make him bar far the highest earner at Carrow and cause untold unrest with the other players.The board have made the right decision. By the way this isn''t dead........ T07.......info?

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="yellow hammer"]

[/quote]

They are also offering significantly more in wages which would certainly make him bar far the highest earner at Carrow and cause untold unrest with the other players.

The board have made the right decision. By the way this isn''t dead........ T07.......info?
[/quote]

I don''t think this deal is dead either, i believe we''ll get him still. I''m no expert on transfers and the finer details involved in them, but Taylors wages in comparison to other CR playing staffs wages must surely be a fair comment. What are the board expected to do? Put everyone on 17k + a week just to match Taylors pay and keep everyone happy?...It''s an awkward one. But the whole Rowan Vine business included in the deal is probably whats really causing us the most problems i suspect.

None of us know, but I think Alex is right and Brum would much rather sell to QPR and offload two players in one deal to a cash rich club. If I was Karen Brady I would probably do just what she is doing, she is far more likely to get a good price for Tiny in the transfer window than selling to us now. Why people seem to think this is a stick to beat the board with I just don''t understand.

[quote user="Big Down Under"]None of us know, but I think Alex is right and Brum would much rather sell to QPR and offload two players in one deal to a cash rich club. If I was Karen Brady I would probably do just what she is doing, she is far more likely to get a good price for Tiny in the transfer window than selling to us now. Why people seem to think this is a stick to beat the board with I just don''t understand.
[/quote]

Exactly right.

The thing is, the Board haters have an equivalent position to religious zealots; they start from a fixed position (they are Satan incarnate) & keep adding more & more ridiculous assumptions to support this position when things improve. The latest situation with Roeder illustrates this perfectly.

Conversely, I have not seen the same blinkered outlook from those who " support" the Board; one thread asked " Who supports the board now?" & all those who did so qualified their support in many ways. All agreed that they had many flaws, could improve & should probably be replaced (by a friendly billionaire) but they are as honest as they can be & are doing their best.

[quote user="ron obvious"]

[quote user="Big Down Under"]None of us know, but I think Alex is right and Brum would much rather sell to QPR and offload two players in one deal to a cash rich club. If I was Karen Brady I would probably do just what she is doing, she is far more likely to get a good price for Tiny in the transfer window than selling to us now. Why people seem to think this is a stick to beat the board with I just don''t understand.
[/quote]

Exactly right.

The thing is, the Board haters have an equivalent position to religious zealots; they start from a fixed position (they are Satan incarnate) & keep adding more & more ridiculous assumptions to support this position when things improve. The latest situation with Roeder illustrates this perfectly.

Conversely, I have not seen the same blinkered outlook from those who " support" the Board; one thread asked " Who supports the board now?" & all those who did so qualified their support in many ways. All agreed that they had many flaws, could improve & should probably be replaced (by a friendly billionaire) but they are as honest as they can be & are doing their best.

[/quote]

What''s wrong with board hating, ron? It''s fun, it keeps this forum tickin'' over and creates debate.

DONKSTER OUT![8-|]

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="yellow hammer"]

[/quote]

So judge it on the window then not chittle chattle on a fans board. Taylor has no great desire to come here and his comments regarding London were general not specific. He could live in oxfordshire and be at QPR traing ground in 90 minutes...... Brum in 75. Nowhere near London. Nobody really believes he would live in Scrubs Lane, so thats not an issue. The issue is that we set a valuation, Brum are asking £500k more which QPR are prepared to pay. They are also offering significantly more in wages which would certainly make him bar far the highest earner at Carrow and cause untold unrest with the other players.

The board have made the right decision. By the way this isn''t dead........ T07.......info?
[/quote]

who wants to spend 90 minutes getting to work!!!

As for wages, how do you know what he wants in wages???  If all he is interested in is the biggest wages he will sign for QPR.  Sounds to me like he is a family man, I reckon he would probably come here on Hucks wages (which will probably be off the bill come the end of the season)

I would like to know how much we have offered, probably around 600K plus add-ons on past form.