Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Out of JAIL

Two points lost rather than a point won.

Why no Huckerby from the start? Obviously Roeder''s not full of confidence yet.

Without Huckerby we hold no threat.

They said at the start he had picked up an injury in the week - back spasm - which I assume is why he wasn''t risked from the start.

You seem to completely forget that there was another side out there, and that we were away from home.  Yes, Colchester are not particularly great - but look at our away form.  We have won once all season.  I can imagine their supporters would have thought we were there for the taking today.  Ok it would have been great to win, but why on earth can''t people be reasonably pleased with a point?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]You seem to completely forget that there was another side out there, and that we were away from home.  Yes, Colchester are not particularly great - but look at our away form.  We have won once all season.  I can imagine their supporters would have thought we were there for the taking today.  Ok it would have been great to win, but why on earth can''t people be reasonably pleased with a point?[/quote]

At the end I was happy with a point Branston but that game was there for the taking. If we can''t get 3 points from a poor side like Colchester it makes you wonder where we will win.

we should be beating sides like colchester not settling for a draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god we were beatin man utd a few yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!! i woouldnt mind but we were awfull!!!! lucky to get a point!!

[quote user="ricardo"]

At the end I was happy with a point Branston but that game was there for the taking. If we can''t get 3 points from a poor side like Colchester it makes you wonder where we will win.

[/quote]

It is possibly true that they should have been there for the taking, but especially away from home the main thing to do in games against sides around us is to avoid defeat, which we did (just!); on that score imo it is job done.  Going all out for wins and attacking play - particularly away - can come later.

At the moment, we should be happy enough - recent form over the last 6 is 4-1-1 which is as good as any 6 game period I can remember in a pretty long time (would be interesting to find out when!)!   

[quote user="ricardo"]

Two points lost rather than a point won.

Why no Huckerby from the start? Obviously Roeder''s not full of confidence yet.

Without Huckerby we hold no threat.

[/quote]Are you blind? Did you not see their right winger Yeates? He tore us apart down the right and looked a real threat.Obviously Roeder saw that danger and opted to play a defensive player, in Pattison, down that side to protect Camara.Hucks looked good when he came on, but how often does he do that for an entire game?Id also like to praise Curo, created two chances out of nothing which were blocked by defenders throwing themselves in the way, got behind their defence, was a marked improvement on the offside front and if the defender hadn''t put into his own net, then Cureton would have.Yeah maybe he is not the best player and had a freak season last year. He at least gives everything for the cause and looked 10 x more threatening than Ched or Dublin did.

Branston why cant some of you percy''s once in a while just admit when we are awful, of course we are happy with a point, we were a goal down. My fear is these are the sort of games we need to win to stay up, if was last season i would have said it was a good point but this year they have won 2 games at home not exactly a fortress, felt we could have gone for it, yes a point but not a good one imo.

You cannot defend a performance like that , it was embarrasing to watch and if any neutral watching lasted beyond 30 minutes i would be surprised. Compared to the earlier match the football looked at least 2 divisions lower .

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

It is possibly true that they should have been there for the taking, but especially away from home the main thing to do in games against sides around us is to avoid defeat, which we did (just!); on that score imo it is job done.  Going all out for wins and attacking play - particularly away - can come later.

At the moment, we should be happy enough - recent form over the last 6 is 4-1-1 which is as good as any 6 game period I can remember in a pretty long time (would be interesting to find out when!)!   

[/quote]

I''m with you on that Branston and I am grateful that things have improved.

However it shows how low our sights have dropped when we are happy to scrap a draw at the weakest team in the division.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Branston why cant some of you percy''s once in a while just admit when we are awful, of course we are happy with a point, we were a goal down. My fear is these are the sort of games we need to win to stay up, if was last season i would have said it was a good point but this year they have won 2 games at home not exactly a fortress, felt we could have gone for it, yes a point but not a good one imo.[/quote]

At the end of the day performance means little when you are in the position we are in, results are what matters - if points come off the back of a crap performnace then so be it.  I said all along that I was happy for a poor performance if we avoided defeat and that is what we got.  It does still seem that the some people do forget where we actually are in the league: when you are in the bottom 3 and playing sides in the bottom 3 away from home, winning is great but avoiding defeat is the key.

[quote user="tommy"]we should be beating sides like colchester not settling for a draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god we were beatin man utd a few yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!! i woouldnt mind but we were awfull!!!! lucky to get a point!![/quote]oh and who else where we beating when we beat Man U? bloody no-one!An away point is better than we could have expected a month or so ago, it is progress. People forget we were 5 points adrift, and that pretty much puts in the same mini league as our opponents tonight, so a point is not so bad is it?

Teams that are positive usually get out of trouble, you sometimes have to gamble, there is a time to play negative but with more intent today we could have got 3 points. Yes i know where we are in the league only too well but hey abit of bottle does help in this situation, we never got out of second gear imo, We were to happy to play in front of them with big punts up the middle, Hucks showed what going past people could do, him just being on the pitch changed the oppositions psyche(dont know how its spelt) he takes defenders out of the game. Yes i know he aint had a great season but  the fear of his quality does more than some of the players in the team. Anyway lets see how the xmas games go. heres hoping........

This is the way I see it. We had a bad day. Sharper and more urgent in the second half, but we struggled in the midfield with only Fotheringham offering much but too often trying to run things himself and got out of position at times, Evans and Smith not in the game, Pattison poor.

BUT we drew against a relegation rival. Sure we should ideally have looked for a win but with a poor showing away from home we we were lucky it was Colchester playing poorly, not away at the Hawthorns where we could have got a right stuffing.

It should be an antidote to those who believe we were out of the mess, Glenn still has big work to do.

That was a disgraceful performance. The uwe''s were the worst team I have seen in a long time in this league.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Peter Grant''s first six matches in charge was the same - 4 wins, a draw and a defeat.

[quote user="Fellas"]That was a disgraceful performance. The uwe''s were the worst team I have seen in a long time in this league.
[/quote]

Nope, the worst team i''ve seen in this league were us about 2 months ago! We are improving but it won''t happen overnight.

It was a bad performance, but as others have pointed out we are in a relegation scrap and an away point is an achievement. We need to look to our home games to collect the points, points away from home are a bonus. We shouldn''t be expecting to beat any team in this division at their place, to go to Colchester expecting a win is just pure arrogance. We aren''t a good enough team right now to be so arrogant.

Wanting to beat colchester away is not arrogance its a necessity if we are to beat relegation, is it not arrogant to expect us to win 9 games at home of course not, its what we expect, likewise i dont think we have the right to beat Col U but i think its the sort of place we should at least set out to beat them, i felt yesterday was a wasted opportunity.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Wanting to beat colchester away is not arrogance its a necessity if we are to beat relegation, is it not arrogant to expect us to win 9 games at home of course not, its what we expect, likewise i dont think we have the right to beat Col U but i think its the sort of place we should at least set out to beat them, i felt yesterday was a wasted opportunity.[/quote]I didn''t say ''wanting to beat'' I said ''expecting'', of course we should want to beat them. The way the players wscrapped they obviously wanted to win. Beating Colchester away is not a necessity to avoid relegation, if we win most of our home games and draw most of our away games we will end up safely away from the relegation spots. People are making it sound like we lined up in a defensive 4-5-1 and put all 10 outfield players behind the ball. We didn''t, we line up 4-4-2, we were just crap. I would have rather we had more width from the start and would have preferred to see Hucks, Croft and Dublin start. But then we don''t know how much confidence Roeder had in Hucks'' back, or Dublin''s legs. I can''t blame Roeder for wanting to keep it tight to start either, I don''t suppose he expected the team to forget (again) how to pass the ball or find space off the ball.As others have said, 6 weeks ago (or last season) we would have lost that. The quality was poor but we showed the guts to keep pushing for an equaliser. Thats a world away from where we were pre Roeder.