Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Carrow

Taylor question.......

Lets say that QPR are the only club willing to pay the £1m+ fee Brum are asking for Taylor but he steadfastly refuses to go there. A stand-off ensues and in that time we start to leak silly goals again and slip back down the table. If the board then get their man for a cut-price £700k on Jan.1st, have they prudently acquired a good player for a reasonable price after a protracted game of cat and mouse? Or have they imprudently neglected the best interests of the team and increased the likelihood of a disastrous relegation?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Lets say that QPR are the only club willing to pay the £1m+ fee Brum are asking for Taylor but he steadfastly refuses to go there. A stand-off ensues and in that time we start to leak silly goals again and slip back down the table. If the board then get their man for a cut-price £700k on Jan.1st, have they prudently acquired a good player for a reasonable price after a protracted game of cat and mouse? Or have they imprudently neglected the best interests of the team and increased the likelihood of a disastrous relegation?[/quote]

Taylor is not the only show in town.  There will be other candidates for the role that Glenn Roeder is no doubt lining up.  They might not be as good, they might be better.  But they will probably be cheaper.  When Flavio and Bernie enter a bidding war, there will only be one winner, unless Abramovich is the other party.  If Taylor wants to, he can kick up a fuss, but it will take time for him turn QPR down.

We''ll only know the answer to this question after January.  In the mean time a fit and motivated Doherty and Shackell are a match for most Championship strikers, Colchester and Scunny shouldn''t cause them too many problems, Charlton and Wolves might, although we kept Charlton at bay for 85 minutes at their place, didn''t we ?

My god you would have thought it was the end of the world cos taylor isn''t signing,why can''t you get real.Why would the board waste a million pounds on a player when you can get about 5 from the lower divisions at £200000 each.You only have to look at all the games that Lappin,murray,big dave and brown are playing these days to realize cheap dosn''t mean rubbish.I applaud the board for not paying stupid money for taylor ,yes he is the best centre back i have ever seen at norwich,but for god''s sake a million pounds,for that sort of money i would expect to get john terry.We might go down without talyor but at least we will be a million pounds better off[:P]

The longer we leave it, the worse the situation for us. Even 1 point that we lose out on between now and January transfer window is 1 too many.

Without doubt, Doc and Shacks clearly arent good enough together for us. Proven time after time. Fact. Full Stop.

Am not saying the Board need to (financially) put all their eggs in one basket re acquiring Taylor but it is time for the Board to put up or shut up.

WE don''t need Taylor.....In fact, we don''t really need a football club. With all the off the field attractions and money creating watering holes and top nosh food outlets that are within and around the Carra stadium.....Including those surrounding lush apartamentos full of hungry an'' thirsty affluents arriving home from a hard day at the orifice, that are far too tired to prepare meals, so it''s, "C''mon Darlink, it''s off to Deelightful Delia''s restyrunt - and a good quality (but slightly pricey) haute cuisine and a lubbly jubbly a la carte foodfeast OK?".

Shouldn''t have to worry about wasting precious foody finance on overrated footballers - when top quality dining, superb ingredients and delightful and quality vino are the real reason folk flock to Carra......

The availability of the soon to be defunct playing surface, that can be utilised as a floodlit corporate entertaining paintball battlefield - to raise a few extra bob for the Catering Coffers in pursuit of Michelin and Egon Ronay awards - is a real priority!

If you sad folk want soccer, bugger off to Kings Lynn or Wroxham......I''m now off, for a few bits of partridge and wild mushrooms and stuff......decoratively placed on an over-sized plate with some scrawny greenery and flattened blushed tomato that wouldn''t even fill a sparra''s kneecap.....But Hey! I''m mixin'' wiv the elite![:P]

Football, is so naff! Anyone for paintball?[8-|] 

Fact ? more like your opionion ( FACT ) .

£1m+ for a player brum dont want cant get in there team is a lot of money

[quote user="Danny G"]

[/quote]

Its about the asking price nowadays we have to get real, prices have risen since Kenny Foggo was here.

[quote user="Danny G"]

[/quote]

Sure, why spend 1mill on a centre-back when for that price you can build an access road?

[quote user="lobster catcher"]Why would the board waste a million pounds on a player when you can get about 5 from the lower divisions at £200000 each.You only have to look at all the games that Lappin,murray,big dave and brown are playing these days to realize cheap dosn''t mean rubbish.[/quote]

Obviously a pi$$ take.

Lappin (£75k), Murray (free) and Brown (£325k) can''t even get on the bench.

IT''S THE TEAM, STUPID! 

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Lets say that QPR are the only club willing to pay the £1m+ fee Brum are asking for Taylor but he steadfastly refuses to go there. A stand-off ensues and in that time we start to leak silly goals again and slip back down the table. If the board then get their man for a cut-price £700k on Jan.1st, have they prudently acquired a good player for a reasonable price after a protracted game of cat and mouse? Or have they imprudently neglected the best interests of the team and increased the likelihood of a disastrous relegation?[/quote]

Taylor is not the only show in town.  There will be other candidates for the role that Glenn Roeder is no doubt lining up.  They might not be as good, they might be better.  But they will probably be cheaper.  When Flavio and Bernie enter a bidding war, there will only be one winner, unless Abramovich is the other party.  If Taylor wants to, he can kick up a fuss, but it will take time for him turn QPR down.

We''ll only know the answer to this question after January.  In the mean time a fit and motivated Doherty and Shackell are a match for most Championship strikers, Colchester and Scunny shouldn''t cause them too many problems, Charlton and Wolves might, although we kept Charlton at bay for 85 minutes at their place, didn''t we ?

[/quote]

We`re almost always talking hypothetically when it comes to football Blah and of course it`s possible that we might get someone else on a Bosman who goes on to become a City legend-or we could get another Louis-Jean/Jarrett/Thorne/Hughes......I know which is more likely.

Sorry but your last paragraph is naive at best. What was the central defensive partnership when we were rock-bottom and leaking goals all over the place? Doherty and Shackell have me breaking out in a cold sweat.

All this just smacks of the sort of attitude which has got us into this situation in the first place. For goodness sake it isn`t often in football when a player comes into a club, makes a positive difference almost straight away, clearly stands out and inspires a struggling side and is then available and happy to join for a reasonable fee. The last one was Huckerby and by all accounts the board were not even unanimous on that, despite being bankrolled by the share issues.

I think that the scenario above is more than possible and it might well look like the board were prepared to lose a good,influential player for what, 7 or 8 vital games for the sake of saving a few £100k. Can anyone seriously defend that?!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

We`re almost always talking hypothetically when it comes to football Blah and of course it`s possible that we might get someone else on a Bosman who goes on to become a City legend-or we could get another Louis-Jean/Jarrett/Thorne/Hughes......I know which is more likely.

Sorry but your last paragraph is naive at best. What was the central defensive partnership when we were rock-bottom and leaking goals all over the place? Doherty and Shackell have me breaking out in a cold sweat.

All this just smacks of the sort of attitude which has got us into this situation in the first place. For goodness sake it isn`t often in football when a player comes into a club, makes a positive difference almost straight away, clearly stands out and inspires a struggling side and is then available and happy to join for a reasonable fee. The last one was Huckerby and by all accounts the board were not even unanimous on that, despite being bankrolled by the share issues.

I think that the scenario above is more than possible and it might well look like the board were prepared to lose a good,influential player for what, 7 or 8 vital games for the sake of saving a few £100k. Can anyone seriously defend that?!

[/quote]

You are wasting your time Mr. Carrow. Some of them can see no wrong in the Board and will defend any action they take.

While this lot remain in control football will always come a poor second to Offices, Roads and Restaurants.You would have thought that a few weeks at the bottom of the league would have jolted them out of their complacency but it seems the mini revival has only served to allow them to safely resume their old habits.

I heartily agree that the Taylor moment of 2007 has a remarkable similarity to the Huckerby moment of 2003. We can only hope things progress in a similar way, but I have feeling they won''t.

I seriously hope that I am proved wrong but I have a big fear that next season we will be looking back from league 1 and pin pointing to this incident as the moment that the Board blew it yet again.

[quote user="djc"]

but it is time for the Board to put up or shut up.

[/quote]Explain. I assume you think the coaching staff and board have underestimated Taylors worth and they should bid more..... you obviously know better. But why shut up? Were they out there larging it say Taylor would be a City player? No. Are they waving promises in the air? No.Please explain.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Lets say that QPR are the only club willing to pay the £1m+ fee Brum are asking for Taylor but he steadfastly refuses to go there. A stand-off ensues and in that time we start to leak silly goals again and slip back down the table. If the board then get their man for a cut-price £700k on Jan.1st, have they prudently acquired a good player for a reasonable price after a protracted game of cat and mouse? Or have they imprudently neglected the best interests of the team and increased the likelihood of a disastrous relegation?[/quote]through failing to sign taylor, who has been a key cog in our revival - then it could be argued that the board have recklessly gambled with our champs status.  because with 2 away games on the bounce, then home games to top 6 sides, we could lose 3 outa 4 without taylor and be bottom again. surely relegation would be more costly than surviving and so taking a financial plunge should be the best course of action, and acting in the best interest of NCFC.  if the board can''t fund such a plan, they are surely financially inadequate for this club. 

So let''s get this right.

We''re now suggesting we''ll get relegated this season because we didn''t sign Taylor outside the transfer window.

You make me despair, you really do.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

We''re now suggesting we''ll get relegated this season because we didn''t sign Taylor outside the transfer window.

[/quote]

You know exactly what the situation is as regards an extended loan with an agreed fee at the end of it you facetious little chimp. Now how about making a valid point......?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

You know exactly what the situation is as regards an extended loan with an agreed fee at the end of it you facetious little chimp. Now how about making a valid point......?

[/quote]

Well I think the fact that it''s outside the transfer window is a valid point. It''s certainly more valid than the assumptions you and many others have been making over the last couple of days.

We don''t know that QPR did bid $1m. The two rumours are that they bid either $1.25m or $2.5m for Taylor plus Vine. Seeing as QPR are wanting to sign Vine permanently and they have cash to spare, which seems more likely? And which bid do you think Brady is more likely to favour? She will be using the next 2 weeks trying to pursuade Tiny to join QPR, she had no reason to sell him to us when she has the chance of getting a better deal from QPR. Also, surely Roeder knows exactly how much money he has to spend in Jan and who he wants to sign. It seems likely to me that this is a joint decision between him and the board. BTW apologies for the $ signs I''m on a US keyboard.

Mr Carrow, Ricardo and lgt  - "ditto" is all I can say.

TO7. You want an explanation? Go and read Karen Brady''s input.

On a related tack - Glenn Roeder''s column on Friday''s is ghost written. I wonder by who?

I know that anybody who tried to ''spin'' me would get short shrift. But then, maybe I am just old-fashioned.

What a trial and tribulation it is these days to be a City supporter with this ineffably ineffective board and somewhat threadbare, softnosed owners.

But, soldier on we must until change for the better can be wrought.

OTBC

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

[/quote]You also know exactly what the situatiom is as regards to Birmingham not allowing exactly that.  Now how about making a valid point ?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

On a related tack - Glenn Roeder''s column on Friday''s is ghost written. I wonder by who?

I know that anybody who tried to ''spin'' me would get short shrift. But then, maybe I am just old-fashioned.

What a trial and tribulation it is these days to be a City supporter with this ineffably ineffective board and somewhat threadbare, softnosed owners.

OTBC

[/quote]

Pot - kettle Babes...

It seems to me 99% of your posts these days are spin.

Where are the facts?

Prove me wrong.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I think the fact that it''s outside the transfer window is a valid point. It''s certainly more valid than the assumptions you and many others have been making over the last couple of days.

[/quote]

To spell it out, what was on offer was extending the loan by agreeing a permanent deal which would come into effect on January 1st.  We were in pole position for Taylor and we''ve blown it.  Why would we prefer to get involved in a bidding war in January which can only raise the price? 

[quote user="Fat Prophet"]

To spell it out, what was on offer was extending the loan by agreeing a permanent deal which would come into effect on January 1st.  We were in pole position for Taylor and we''ve blown it.  Why would we prefer to get involved in a bidding war in January which can only raise the price? 

[/quote]

Not once QPR jumped in. Once that happened the bidding war started.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what exactly are you saying?  We should only go for players that no one else wants?

Had we matched QPR''s price there is every indication that Taylor would have chosen to come here.  We didn''t have to outbid them.  It won''t get any easier in January, so if we had any intention of signing him I can''t see any point in waiting, and we''d have had him for the December games too.

Failing to sign Taylor probably increases the risk of relegation and the financial consequences that will follow.  It''s a risk that the board seem prepared to take.  Whatever happened to Prudence when we needed her?

He was ours if we matched the offer we didn''t and it will be to our cost because after games with Scunthorpe, Wolves, Charlton and Palace i can see us nowhere but rock bottom again . How bad do things have to get before people realise this Board are sending this club into oblivion .

Well all we can hope for is brum have an awful christmas spell and end up bottom and need to get funds to buy some new players. Then we can pay the right price for taylor and not some jumped up fee for a players that''s unwanted, not going to play and costing a team fighting relegation even more money.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Pot - kettle Babes...

It seems to me 99% of your posts these days are spin.

Where are the facts?

Prove me wrong.

[/quote]

Well, since you''re just a self-confessed nut, let''s just leave it there shall we?[;)][:)]

OTBC

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what exactly are you saying?  We should only go for players that no one else wants?

Had we matched QPR''s price there is every indication that Taylor would have chosen to come here.  We didn''t have to outbid them.  It won''t get any easier in January, so if we had any intention of signing him I can''t see any point in waiting, and we''d have had him for the December games too.

Failing to sign Taylor probably increases the risk of relegation and the financial consequences that will follow.  It''s a risk that the board seem prepared to take.  Whatever happened to Prudence when we needed her?

[/quote]

Fat Prophet, surely you cannot be as naive as you seem determined to prove by your ramblings on here. What do you or anyone else KNOW about what we did or did not have to do. Birmingham is in the driving seat currently, not Norwich, not QPR or anyone else. Read your own words and think. If it won''t get any easier for us in January then, logically, it gets better for Birmingham at that point. Right? So what would you do if you were Birmingham''s negotiator? Just to help you, this is a rhetorical question.

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For Chrissakes!

I will say this only once. Please read carefully.

What is there to stop QPR putting in a HIGHER bid, which Brum then accept?  It is not in Tiny''s gift to accept or reject said offer, all he can do is refuse to go where he doesn''t want. It then becomes a battle between him & Brum & is independent of the transfer price.

[/quote]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For Chrissakes!

What is there to stop QPR putting in a HIGHER bid, which Brum then accept?  It is not in Tiny''s gift to accept or reject said offer, all he can do is refuse to go where he doesn''t want. It then becomes a battle between him & Brum & is independent of the transfer price.

[/quote][/quote]

Then even if we didn''t get him we could hurt QPR a little bit by forcing them to pay more than they really want to.  Not much I know, but better than abject surrender.  And given that QPR have new investment they might be in a position to say "sod this, let''s pay a bit more and go for a better player". 

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Fat Prophet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For Chrissakes!

[/quote][/quote]

Ron, football may be a bit dodgy but it hasn`t yet got to the stage where a player can be sold to the highest bidder like a cow. What happens is that the selling club decides on a figure they will accept and whoever agrees to pay that can open negotiations with the player. Both Roeder and the press have said that QPR agreed to pay that figure- therefore we know what we have to match, but we are not prepared to do it, ie. yet again we are not prepared to pay the going rate.