Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyboy

Arsenal v Chelsea = 5 England players

This is why England will not win any silverwear in the forseeable future.

Neither team has and England man on the bench???

Surely a ruling has to come in soon to stop this?

Arsenal are playing in the English league and they haven''t fielded a homegrown player today

I think this is F ing disguisting

I couldn''t care less anymore.

Club football is the only watchable football ever on TV so it might as well be good.

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]

Arsenal are playing in the English league and they haven''t fielded a homegrown player today

[/quote]

A pitty its not just confined to football.

Unfortunately, those unelected imbeciles in the EU Commission have implemented labour laws that will not allow us to have quotas. This seems to me to be the sort of idiotic lack of common sense that characterises so much of the European Union project and a good reason to have all sorts of opt-out clauses. But unless EU law is changed or the UK withdraws from the EU it ain''t going to happen.

Imaging if there were quotos though..the price of English players would skyrocket. Half of the Championship would probably end up being foreign players as a result.

Guess it is sad Arsenal fans don''t have a local boy or two to cheer on, but I am sure there are just as many role models on the pitch, and being top of the league I''m sure they don''t care.

[quote]Guess it is sad Arsenal fans don''t have a local boy or two to cheer on,

but I am sure there are just as many role models on the pitch, and

being top of the league I''m sure they don''t care.[/quote]Having been to Highbury for a Champions League match and heard a few Norf Landin boys shouting "Well in Jill-ber-tow !" like they''re shouting on some boy from the Hackney Marshes, I''m almost certain that they don''t care where their players come from.  Thierry Henry, among many many others, was accepted as one of their own, he has a road named after him about half a mile from the ground.  It''s a healthy attitude, and it breeds success.

I was surprised at the lack of quality in that match, especially when you consider the vast amounts of money it took to assemble both teams. To my eyes, that game was only slightly better than Col U v City. Both teams looked very ordinary.

arsenal is not really expensive squad when you consider what likes chelsea, manutd liverpool, sunderland and newcastle have spent

arsenal spent less than what sunderland have spent in the last 3seasons, look at how there squad has changed from back then and think of how much they have actually made of  sales

as to your comment on col v city, i didnt see it myself, but im guessing neither side was counter attacking in the style of arsenal did? no one in our league could do that bar wba i think. and as to standards good team cancel each other out, how many champions league games can you actually say wow that was 110% excitiment, most of them end in draws or 1-0 wins

many folks gave Wimbledon stick for moving to MK. My own view is that for different reasons the so-called big clubs are just as guilty of creating "franchise" FC. Lets face it Arsenal could move just about anywhere in the world, they are not an English team they just happen to milk English supporters of their money and play in London. They could quite easily take up residence in Europe for all their contribution to the English game. How can any English football fan now take any delight in Arsenal succeeding in the Champions League when there are no English players on the pitch?

[quote user="Mud Man"]Unfortunately, those unelected imbeciles in the EU Commission have implemented labour laws that will not allow us to have quotas. This seems to me to be the sort of idiotic lack of common sense that characterises so much of the European Union project and a good reason to have all sorts of opt-out clauses. But unless EU law is changed or the UK withdraws from the EU it ain''t going to happen.[/quote]Agreed. The Italians have quotas, based on numbers of players from in / outside the EU. But then they also train up the youngsters properly, so there are plenty of talented Italians to chose from. There is also some regulation for Champions League player registration about where young players were trained, and how many locally trained players must be in the squad (not have to play though). As One Flew Over states though, quotas on their own will push up player prices.If we want to see more English players in the Premiership, the FA will have to really take the game by the scruff of the neck;- Quotas- Wage and transfer caps- Better training for young players - they just aren''t good enough. If they were, the top clubs would play them.- Better training for English managers and coaches- Better education for our young players (frankly their attitudes stink, their egos are far to inflated)Chances of any of this happening? Nil.The England team have a pretty good first 11, but we are in real trouble if we get a couple of injuries. We just aren''t producing enough talented players and its the FAs fault.

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]

[/quote]

It is so easy to hit out at clubs like Arsenal and blame them for a lack of success in international football but you asking the wrong question and blaming the wrong people.  The FA have got to make a very radical overhaul of the way young players are coached from the very start.  Our young players play on full size pitches far too early, which then promotes a style of kick and rush that we have seen England play for so long.  It''s so easy for youngsters playing on a big pitch to put the ball in acres of space for the next kid to run onto.  In other countries it''s all about skill and ball retention, playing the ball to feet in tight areas, not a sixty yard pass for someone to chase.  This explains why we have the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and lots of similar but lesser versions of the same players and why we no longer produce many players with flair.  Too much emphasis is placed on power, pace, "engine" etc etc in young players in this country and ability on the ball, dribbling (and I don''t mean knocking the ball past someone and running), close passing are less important.  That is the real problem. 

You ask why Arsenal has no English players on Sunday, above is one reason and I will give you the second.  Because there are not enough talented English players, when a hald decent one comes along they are too expensive, simple as that.  Henry cost less than Darren Bent, Marlon Harwood cost more than Santa Cruz, Reo-Coker cost more than Elano.  Ask yourself for around the same money who would you buy?  Elano or Reo-Coker?  It''s not even close in terms of who is the better player.

I don''t like that Arsenal field no English players in games but you have to get real.  There are fundamental deep rooted problems with the English game which impact our international team long before it matters whether Arsenal play home grown players or not.  If the players are good enough they will play for the top clubs, it''s that simple.  There were very few foreign players in our league in 93/94 when we failed to get to the USA world cup.  We will still poor though, because we didn''t have enough good players.

I really can''t agree with the general consensus of this thread.

So yes, there is a current influx of foreign players in the Premiership, but surely this in theory makes the league a stronger league, with more quality players coming to play in in England. I believe this should be the knock-on effect of this;

1) The league is of a better quality as a whole, and therefore players (including English players) playing in the league have to rise up to that quality to get picked, therefore becoming better players.

2) There is more competition for top spots in the big teams, meaning players need to rise up to get the better spots at the big clubs / European football etc.

In reality this hasn''t happened, but I don''t believe this is due to the influx of foreigners, more so to do with the vast amounts of money that clubs will pay for mediocrity. In my opinion, this is due to the way the TV revenue is divvied out to the clubs. These days, players are more likely to strive towards the ownership of a Bentley and dating a reality TV star than strive to want to play good football and wear the England shirt with pride, probably because its more achievable and less pressure than actually being good at your job/sport. In my opinion, money is the problem here, not foreigners.

If you want to look at why England are failing, look at the personal objectives of your young England players. In my opinion, its the Sky money that''s killing the England team, not the foreigners.