Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Taylor and Strihavka

Judgement and misjudgement in the 1m pound range.

The board gave Grant over 1m to get Strihavka, and can''t find close to 1.25m for Roeder to get Taylor.

Says it all really, doesn''t it?

Pathetic.

OTBC

Strihavka still will come good, Im sure.

And, how do we know that Taylor wont hit a bad patch?

Lots of variables, so little time...

Strihavka won''t come good if hes not played I''m afraid. If Roeder doesn''t rate him then its likely we will see very little of him anymore. If a Czech club came in for him at a reasonable price I''d probably take their offer. Whilst hes here, and if he gets any games, I will of course hope he does come good but its not looking promising atm.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Seems Roeder does not share your confidence re-Strihavka.[/quote]

Not sure Grant or Duffy showed much faith in him either.  Not such a prudent signing, Mr. Doncaster. 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The board gave Grant over 1m to get Strihavka, and can''t find close to 1.25m for Roeder to get Taylor.

Pathetic.

OTBC

£ 600 000 for Strihavka not 1m so it doesn''t really say it all !!!

[/quote]

strihavka will come good soon!!!??

no mate he can''t even get in the squad so he can''t be that bloody good

get rid of him and raise some funds

[quote user="ridgeman"]I was thinking much the same including approx 750k for Hughes, high wages for Thorne, approx 700k (I think) for Docherty yet when we see someone with real quality they back off . Is that why we are called the Canaries because everything is cheap cheap.[/quote]

£ 500 000 for Hughes ( we got nearly half that back ). Most of you seem to add extra money on when it suits you !

[quote user="ridgeman"]I was thinking much the same including approx 750k for Hughes, high wages for Thorne, approx 700k (I think) for Docherty yet when we see someone with real quality they back off . Is that why we are called the Canaries because everything is cheap cheap.[/quote]

hahahahaha love the cheap cheap comment!!!!! quallity

how can you call a player a flop when he dosnt get to play, he cant prove himself without playing.he could just get one or two games, cant be worse than hartson or cureton or brown can he?

[quote user="ricky knight"]Seems Roeder does not share your confidence re-Strihavka.[/quote]Nor Taylor......

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]how can you call a player a flop when he dosnt get to play, he cant prove himself without playing.
he could just get one or two games, cant be worse than hartson or cureton or brown can he?
[/quote]

Maybe Glenn doesn''t think that Dave is putting in the work on the training ground?

When I''ve seen him play in his limited appearances for the first team and the reserves I find he gives up too easily. If something doesn''t come off for him then that''s it, if a defender pinches the ball off him he doesn''t fight to get it back.

Look at two new lads in the team, Ched Evans and Matty Pattison, when they lose the ball they battle to win it back.

At the end of the day (classic footballing cliché) Glenn Roeder knows his stuff and if he doesn''t put Strihavka in the team it''ll be because he isn''t good enough.

Pathetic.

OTBC

[/quote]

Hindsight is a wonderful thing BlyBly ;)

Strihavka could of been an excellent striker at this level (and am not convinced he''s as bad as some make out either). However, it clearly underlines the fact that spending 7 figures on a player doesn''t neccessarily make them a great signing. Or am i wrong Smudger et al??.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Pathetic.

OTBC

[/quote]

Strihavka could of been an excellent striker at this level (and am not convinced he''s as bad as some make out either). However, it clearly underlines the fact that spending 7 figures on a player doesn''t neccessarily make them a great signing. Or am i wrong Smudger et al??.

[/quote]

So what''s your point?

Taylor wouldn''t be an excellent and probably crucial signing given our current state?

Or is your point that Doherty and Shackell are good enough?

Or what?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Alex"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Pathetic.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what''s your point? The points are the ones i''ve already said in the post!.

Taylor wouldn''t be an excellent and probably crucial signing given our current state? Did i say he wouldn''t be?? Taylor would be an amazing signing, and i hope it still works out given Roeders comments in the Pink''un this morning.

Or is your point that Doherty and Shackell are good enough? On the fence. The only thing that was half decent earlier on in season was our defensive record. But only a fool would say that the defence, and fans confidence in the back four, has not improved since Taylors arrival. I''d make him captain.

Or what?

OTBC

I think you''re mistaken with my point. Taylor would be a fantastic signing, but i was referencing the fact that spending 7 figures on one player (Strihavka) doesn''t neccessarily make them more of a hit at CR than a player that cost 6 figures (Malky)...Do you get my point yet Bly?. I back Roeders judgement, and reckon he''ll do a good job in the transfer window, but i feel alone in my confidence for him at times!. I would trust him just as much with 2mill as i would 10mill, as he seems a shrewd man when it comes to spotting wasted talent much like Arsene Wenger has that ability. Let wait and see what happens in January before the melodramatics get sand in their front bottom...

[/quote]

Didn''t Dave the Striker have a "cult following" when he 1st arrived here? I''m sure the local press mentioned Strihavka in glowing terms to that affect anyway. Now you''d have to be a bit of a cult to be a fan of his.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Didn''t Dave the Striker have a "cult following" when he 1st arrived here? I''m sure the local press mentioned Strihavka in glowing terms to that affect anyway. Now you''d have to be a bit of a cult to be a fan of his.[/quote]

He was a foreign striker who''d scored lots of goals in his native Czechoslovakia.  Of course he was going to be the new messiah - nobody had ever seen him play, but the reports were all good.  Instead, we''ve ended up with our own Savo Milosevic.

Good grief, so people are criticising the board for both releasing transfer funds and not releasing transfer funds, all in the same breath? Of course the board shouldn''t be deciding who we buy, its a footballing decision which is down to the manager. Criticising the board for signing Big Dave is ridiculous. As for Tiny, we have no idea what we bid or what Brum expect, aside from conflicting newspaper stories about QPRs bids. Get off the board''s backs until we KNOW what is going on.

As said by other people, hindsight is a wonderful thing, all the reports were good, in the press there was talk about him replacing Jan Koller, hes turned out so far to be very disapointing, but going on the goals he scored and the reports he looked like a shrewd signing at the time, and although i felt we needed backup just for the extra number, Doherty and Shackell looked like a decent CB partnership. Upto the QPR game we had one of the best defensive records in the league..just couldnt score. I dont think spending that money then affects now in the slightest,because it would have been spent elsewhere.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Strihavka didn''t cost £1m though did he? Waste of money either way.[/quote]

I''m pretty sure it was a million, or close to. Has he featured once for us under Roeder, even on the bench?

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Strihavka didn''t cost £1m though did he? Waste of money either way.[/quote]

I''m pretty sure it was a million, or close to. Has he featured once for us under Roeder, even on the bench?

[/quote]

Erm, I think he might have played away at Plymouth. Maybe. I think that''s it though.

It is unsurprising how everyone can make all the correct decisions after the event.  I''m sure the board are well aware of the fact that there are players like Strihavka who we''ve spent decent sums on who are sat in the reserves doing bog-all, but there isn''t a great deal that they can do about it - at the time of signing, I can well imagine the slating they would have got if they hadn''t given the manager their backing. 

Such decisions are always going to be a double edged thing for the board and one they will never ''win'' at: they can open the purse strings and risk a player being a bit of a flop, or they refuse and get slated for it: but if they do and it comes off then no one gives it a second thought.  C''est la vie.

IMO, Strihavka has shown - in the short time that he has been on the pitch - that he might work out, but I guess GR hasn''t seen enough from him as yet.  But to write him off totally would probably be a bit ''previous'', does no one remember Iwan?

The board approved enough money to get Strihavka in for Grant.

The board have obviously not approved enough money to get in Taylor for Roeder.

Neither Grant nor Roeder have authorisation to sign company cheques.

Plainly poor judgement by the suits - yet again.

Pathetic.

Hindsight - maybe, but what else is there? If you don''t learn from your mistakes, then....?

OTBC

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]"Strihavka is believed to have a get-out clause in his contract [with Banik Ostrava] allowing

him to leave if his club receives an offer of one million euros"(
Pink ''Un story)

... which works out around the "£640k - £690k" in Canary Nut''s post (http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/3/1109382/ShowPost.aspx#1109382)

Laughed the Strivakha deal up at the time didn''t I BlyBly???

Of course the usual crew turned a deaf ear to it though.... [;)]

Pathetic.

Hindsight - maybe, but what else is there? If you don''t learn from your mistakes, then....?

OTBC

[/quote]But we have no idea how much ''enough money'' was. You have presumed 1m, reports in the press were between 1.25m and 2.5m (deal including Vine), we don''t actually know though do we. We seem to have agreement with Taylor on his personal contract, that can''t have been cheap. They also forked out enough money for Roeder, he won''t be cheap either.Roeder will know his budget, who he wants to buy, and therefore how much he wants to spend on each player. He has said that the board backed him all they could on this, yet many on here would rather make up figures and slag them off. And you accuse the club of spin?

Pathetic.

OTBC

[/quote]

So they are wrong for both releasing funds and not releasing funds - I don''t get your point. Surely you are highlighting a weakness in the footballing staff rather than the board. And, no, I AM NOT pro board but you do need to keep your criticism coherent. Surely you''re not suggesting that Delia et al should have more say than our managers over which players any money is spent on?!?!