Sign in to follow this  
koimatsuba

Extra Tier on City Stand ...

Hi all.

With the games this season being from 23,500 to 25,500 (93- 99% full) capicity.

even when we are at the bottom we sell out!

With such a great following, high season ticket sales, large capture area of East Anglia etc and growing population.

Do you think like me that an extra tier on the city stand and a capaicity of 32k+ we would still sell out?

IMO: If we spent the money on a larger stand upgrade we would still sell out in 80% of the games. If we got prommotion we would sell out every game.

Would this extra income help the club survive?

Lastly how much would a new upper tier on the city stand cost? (a lot more than city have at present!)

What if a board member or larger buisnessman or bank, helped with the loan for the stand and then got a share of the club or a percentage of the takings until the loan was paid?

I don''t know how to finacially do the sums with the new stand options, BUT ...

I do know that with a new stand we would sell it out! We are a rare club whos staduim is TOO SMALL for us! A great stadium yes but just a tad too small.

Lets finish the job and give the city stand a upper tier!

How about a collection at the next home game?

Anybody up for it? (joke)

lol

cheers all

[quote]

I''m trying to create a new sign off line, how about:

Hey stupid, its the team that matters not more fixed assets! 

Can anybody improve on it without losing the meaning?

[/quote]

How about a derivation of Clintons'' "It''s the economy, stupid" - As in, "It''s the team, stupid." ?

Start a new campaign.  Bring a brick to Carrow road on matchday.  by the end of the season we will have a enough to build a stand.  then all we have to do is get all the out of work builders in the county to volunteer and away we go.  all the extras like steel ans concrete we can get donated.  or better still,  why not phone up Challenge Aneka, or Extreme Makeover Football Edition.  maybe they will help.

I think putting a second tier on the city stand at the moment is one of the most stupid ideas i''ve ever heard.  If we get relegated we will won''t be selling out the stadium week in week out.  We need to be investing in the team at the moment not the stadium.  Money needs to be put into players and should that investment in players get us into the Premership then we could look and increasing the capcity of Carrow Road but not before.  I and I''m sure the team would prefer to have a full small stadium than a half full big one.

[quote user="YellowIce"]Havent you heard we have no money.[/quote]

I know we are skint!

I''m not stupid. Just wondered if everyone agreed with the fact that with a 32k+ new statdium upgrade we would fill it.

I think we would no trouble.

Yes I want the team to do well, great, win the league , finish in Europe in the prem etc... and If we do get there I believe we could be a midtable or better prem side.

how many prem sides don''t or wouldn''t get the 32k+ full house we would have every game with the new stand?

Ok in reality we are a long way off a new stand, but it would be good and we would fill it!

Team first ... stand second?

yes agreed.

cheers all

[quote user="SouthamptonCanary"]

I think putting a second tier on the city stand at the moment is one of the most stupid ideas i''ve ever heard.  If we get relegated we will won''t be selling out the stadium week in week out.  We need to be investing in the team at the moment not the stadium.  Money needs to be put into players and should that investment in players get us into the Premership then we could look and increasing the capcity of Carrow Road but not before.  I and I''m sure the team would prefer to have a full small stadium than a half full big one.

[/quote]

It was not that we should build it now, it was that if we had it would we fill it?

I think we would fill it. another 7k+ is not much. Another 3-4k season tickets and then 3-4k on sale seats.?

we would fill it easy! Bottom or top or Prem.

But yes, not in league 1!!!

Team first, statduim later ... agreed

Not such a bad idea.  It may be the team that plays the game, however the additional income could increase our ability to buy and pay for better players.  I read somewhere that Arsenal now make £3m per home game thanks in part to the increased capacity created at The Emirates Stadium.  This compares to the £8m a season that Middlesborough earn from their stadium.

Is there really the demand though to watch Norwich, as I hear some posters no longer attend games?

As for assets v the team... I never hyeard of our assests jumping ship thanks to a sell-on clause just when they started to show some promise.

"Players come and go, but the Institution that is Norwich City FC is built of bricks & mortar."

or, "The Barclay End suffered a recurrance of a hamstring strain and will be out for the rest of the season."

[quote user="Strangers All"]

"Players come and go, but the Institution that is Norwich City FC is built of bricks & mortar."

[/quote]

The Institution that is Norwich City FC is built on players playing entertaining football not on non critical fixed assets. I am not talking about the money spent on the pitch, the boiler house, the Jarrold stand, the phase 2 land and spine road (that hopefully might make the club some money) but the other £7m+ of fixed assets. Why couldn''t this spend have waited? 

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]

[/quote]

How about a derivation of Clintons'' "It''s the economy, stupid" - As in, "It''s the team, stupid." ?

[/quote]

It was the Clinton thing, I was thinking of but I wasn''t sure the people would get "It''s the team, stupid." and link it to stop spending on non critical fixed assets as well.

However thank you for your contribution, so its going to be:

IT''S THE TEAM STUPID!

To me it is quite obvious that if you make more capacity you will sell fewer season tickets. The reason for the high season ticket demand is that many supporters fear that they may not be able to get a ticket for every game, remove this fear and supporters will go back to buying tickets for games and then become more selective. Couple this with todays senseless statement by the Chief Executive and attendance would go down even further.  

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary Nut"]

IT''S THE TEAM STUPID!

[/quote]

You might want to consider a comma after "team" there, my friend.

[/quote]

Would that be a spicy chicken comma?  

A great thread where the terminally stupid attempt to outdo each other in their ignorance.Surely the club should move to a park pitch and spend all the money on the players. I can see the fans standing 30 deep ''watching the game'' endlessly shrieking "football must come first" as the trainer rushes on with a mouthful of cold water to spit on the injured player. Tossing a coin before the match ? NO ! Football must come first, the captains should play ''one potato, two potato, three''Goalposts and corner flags.... frippery ! No wasting money on marking out the pitch or cutting the grass. Football must come first !What a shame that these clueless saddos are at complete odds with how the rest of football operates. Or that they clutter up the forum with their childish witterings.

[quote user="City1st"]A great thread where the terminally stupid attempt to outdo each other in their ignorance.

Surely the club should move to a park pitch and spend all the money on the players.
I can see the fans standing 30 deep ''watching the game'' endlessly shrieking "football must come first" as the trainer rushes on with a mouthful of cold water to spit on the injured player.

Tossing a coin before the match ? NO !
Football must come first, the captains should play ''one potato, two potato, three''

Goalposts and corner flags.... frippery ! No wasting money on marking out the pitch or cutting the grass. Football must come first !

What a shame that these clueless saddos are at complete odds with how the rest of football operates. Or that they clutter up the forum with their childish witterings.
[/quote]

Are you an immediate relative, of MadDan?

Well our stadium (size wise) is pretty average for the Championship, with 11 other Championship teams having a bigger capacity than us.  No I am not saying we should rush and build an extra stand, I am also not saying that these 11 clubs get bigger attendances than us or that their stadiums are nicer or have better facilities.  Just that it is something to ponder for the future perhaps.

The ''City Stand'' was an embarrassment when it was built, let alone in 2007. Cheap even by 1980''s standards. It looks ridiculous and reminds me of a ''Subbuteo'' stand from my childhood.

There is planning permission for an upper tier, but it could be some time before this happens. Norwich have always bottled it when it comes to ground capacity, and have lost millions over the years because of this.

I remember in the last promotion season against West Brom, there was enough demand for 38,000 tickets. We get 24/25K all day long when we''re rubbish, so it does make you think...

Yes we do need a bigger capacity.

Yes even in the Championship we could get 30,000+ for some games and we''d probably be able to pull in over 28,000 regularly if we were doing well!

But quite simply while we are in the Championship we on on rations money wise and it would be foolish to spend money on extra capacity then have no money to spend on players. The board have had the plans for a City stand upper tier for a long time now but will only do it when we get into the premiership. They were qouted £10,Million to do the upper tier 3-4 years back and we certainly don''t have that sort of money now!

Its like the hotel which I''ll never fully accept from a moral point of view but understand why it was done from a financial point of view. I think if we''d of stayed up in the premiership then that corner would of been filled with seats and the hotel bolted onto the back of it but that design would of been more costly.

Yes I agree with the previous poster who says that NCFC have long underestimated its level of support and have always bottled it in the past when doing the ground. Its a shame that when the new barclay was buuilt our crowds wern''t that great. I''m sure if we were doing the Barckay now then the club would of gone for a bigger stand.

Norwich City should in the future be looking to extend Carrow Road to about 35-40,000, but until we get back into the premiership then nothing will happen as regards to increasing capacity.

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

[/quote]

"Lets become another MK Dons"

[quote user="City1st"]A great thread where the terminally stupid attempt to outdo each other in their ignorance.

Surely the club should move to a park pitch and spend all the money on the players.
I can see the fans standing 30 deep ''watching the game'' endlessly shrieking "football must come first" as the trainer rushes on with a mouthful of cold water to spit on the injured player.

Football must come first, the captains should play ''one potato, two potato, three''

Goalposts and corner flags.... frippery ! No wasting money on marking out the pitch or cutting the grass. Football must come first !

What a shame that these clueless saddos are at complete odds with how the rest of football operates. Or that they clutter up the forum with their childish witterings.
[/quote]

Do you know what the non-critical fixed assets talked about on this thread are and how much they cost, oh wise one? Come back when you`ve got some clue as to what you`re talking about.

For anyone wondering what a second tier would look like I have done some mock ups for you on the stadium maker in Fifa Manager 08. Unfortunately yellow seating isn''t an options

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4856/fulllengthcitystandka9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]New 2 tier City Stand[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1475/playerentranceanddirectsu9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]Player entrace and exisitng directors box[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3849/hotelwl7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]View of the hotel from the new City Stand Upper Tier[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8064/infilllo7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]View of the new corner infill from the new City Stand Upper Tier

[/quote]

Clutter reduced.

Ah, that''s much better.

OTBC

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"]For anyone wondering what a second tier would look like I have done some mock ups for you on the stadium maker in Fifa Manager 08. Unfortunately yellow seating isn''t an options

[/quote]

BL**Dy hell that looks brilliant!!!!

Eat your heart out Ipsh*t!

Unfornatly we have little cash to do it, and need to get out of this hole at the foot of the table. great Pics though Cheers.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Do you know what the non-critical fixed assets talked about on this thread are and how much they cost, oh wise one? Come back when you`ve got some clue as to what you`re talking about.

[/quote]Non critical fixed assets are actaully defined by opinion and subject to lengthy debate. Do you understand investment, intermediate-term assets, contingent liabilities, debt ratio...... It would appear not.  Dont big yourself up and make yourself look stupid. Stick to buying a home shirt every two yearas and considering it an investment worthy of slanderous comment.

It is not technically viable to extend the city stand, it wasnt designed with the possibility of adding a second tier, another Chase mistake. The Jarrold Stand believe it or not could be doubled in size with the addition of another tier. The club have previously stated that, should they have stayed in the premiership, they would demolish the city stand and replace it with a new one and there have already been plans drawn up by an architect. This would however involve building over the access road behind the city stand (the one used to access the club reception and away dressing room etc), this road is actually owned by the club. In order to gain local authority planning permission, in line with national planning guidance, it is likely however that a new access road would have to be built on the land behind the Jarrold Stand. This could mean altering the Jarrold Stand to incorporate the dugouts and dressing rooms etc (access for coaches etc).  As I have said, the board have previously said that they would replace the city stand before considering development of any other part of the ground.

There were conradictory reports about the City stand issued by the club. However the developers R G Carter & Co wil confirm that BOTH stands were built to take the addition of a second tier......ask them.... not me.... (sorry unable to paste the link...)

[quote user="T07"]There were conradictory reports about the City stand issued by the club. However the developers R G Carter & Co wil confirm that BOTH stands were built to take the addition of a second tier......ask them.... not me.... (sorry unable to paste the link...)[/quote]

Yes in line with the building regulations in 1986 it may well have been viable and legal to add a second tier to the city stand, but I am telling you from an ''off the record'' observational viewpoint away from my professional opinion as a chartered member of RICS that there is no way that Norwich City Football Club can build a second tier on the existing structure whilst at the same time satisfying local authority building control. In order to meet modern day legislation they would have to replace the existing structure in order to bear the load and to meet stringent conditions on fire safety and many other modern requirements. There is no scope to building on top of the existing city stand irrespective of whether or not a company with a vested interest care to say otherwise.