Sign in to follow this  
missing in action?

Goalkeepers

just occured to me, this position is ok for us atm...we have marshall-scotland international, 22 and only getting better.joe lewis-england under 19/21, 19 yrs old, superb, paul gallacher, on his way out, excellent shot stopper but only ever a scottish league keeper.steven arnold- former arsenal youngster, 18 yrs old.matthew gilks- 200+ apps for rochdale, good number 2

question is....who will be here in a years time??Gallacher is gone, without a doubt, arnold will be here but not troubling the first team. I don''t think marshall will be here, he is a superb keeper who''s technical ability continues to impress me and he will only get better, a greeno but uses all 18yds (and can save penalties)Joe lewis, my choice will be number1 within 2 seasons, probably on loan to league 1 next season but afterwards will challenge for a place,Matthew gilks- a number 2, a good keeper, but i think we have a good quality already. i ask about these possible changes because for the last 2 weeks we have had a keeper on trial...Ashley timms, a 22 year old former bolton, man city, shrewsbury town, accrington stanley etc. who i think may be a work in progress player with roeder moulding him as a No.2 keeper....this keeper has already played 3 reserve games in goal, conceding 6 goals...what we thinking...? i dont want marshall etc to leave, but it seems roeder knows that transfer money will come form selling our asset(s)

Agree with your comments, but what is going to happen now that the brilliant Mr Doncaster has sacked the goalkeeping coach of the last 6 years, who has single handedly been responsible for the excellent crop of goalkeepers we have.

I agree that Lewis will be an excellent keeper, I''m not as convinced as you are about Marshall. I was actually pretty confused why Grant felt it was wise to spend a million on a player, when we have someone like Lewis waiting in the wings. We could just of got a someone like Gilkes in for a year, then played Lewis.I think Timms is only here to cover injuries, Gilkes is out for another month or so, which left us with just Arnold and Marshall. Do the Norwich and Ipswich goalkeepers still train together? I know that was the case a few years back.

No they don''t. They did a few years back, but then the keeper coach (Jim someone) came from Ipswich to Norwich as a full time coach I think... I could be wrong... It has been known.

I''ve just heard that either Mark Crossley or Tommy Wright could be coming in as the new goalkeeper coach. I''ve never heard of Tommy Wright. Can anyone shed any light?

[quote user="Paul Carter"]

Mr Doncaster has sacked the goalkeeping coach of the last 6 years, who has single handedly been responsible for the excellent crop of goalkeepers we have.

[/quote]has he????and i get the feeling someone like mark crossley would come in as a consequence because h would be good cover...but i sincerly hope he hasn''t sacked hollman, he was a superb coach,and the reasons i like marshall is because, whilst lacking experience and as a consequence still learning calls etc. he isnigh on perfect in terms of technical ability, and i can only see him getting better, which is why i fear him leaving on a cheap (like all good canaries)

[quote user="All in Yellow"]No they don''t. They did a few years back, but then the keeper coach (Jim someone) came from Ipswich to Norwich as a full time coach I think... I could be wrong... It has been known.[/quote]

Wasn''t the goalkeeping coach Malcolm Webster?  Had Andy Marshall, Richard Wright and a young Robert Green under his tutilige?

haven''t  arnold, lewis or gilks play a competive match in the Championship so can''t see how we can judge (either way).

have seen Gallagher at championship level and don''t want to seem him again.

as for Marshall. Jury still out. He''s made some good and vital saves but there''s been a significant number of goals where i think he''s been at fault and he seems to have a phobia at taking crosses.

Watching Timms on Monday night you can see why he has been to several clubs. Positioning was bad,failed to command his area and unsure in the air. We can do better than this by a country mile.

That said the whole performance on Monday was poor and I cam e awy wondering how many of the team had been told they had a one-way ticket booked for January.  

The current goalkeeping coach is James Hollman, and has been since 2002. No goalkeeping coach has been sacked, Webster went to Ipswich, as he was freinds with Burley.Doncaster may not be perfect, but let''s not blame him for things he hasn''t done, as well as the things he has done.

Hi Jonny 5. I''m pretty sure that James Hollman was sacked yesterday. One of the players told me. Apparently he is to be replaced by Mark Crossley or Tommy Wright, whom I''ve never heard of... Just reporting what I''ve heard. Unfortunately I don''t feel comfortable naming the player as he gives me a fair bit of news, and on the off chance that he reads this, he might stop telling me! If you''ve been here a while you''ll know I only ever post when I''m pretty sure of something.

On the other hand I hope you''re right as Hollman is a very nice bloke and from what I can gather a pretty good coach.

AiY.

...And, in Doncaster''s defence (now there''s a phrase I never imagined myself saying!) if Hollman has been sacked, wouldn''t it be more likely to be a Roeder decision? I can''t imagine a chief exec making decisions like that... No matter how poor they are.

If it is the case that Hollman has been booted it is a great shame, but I''m sure it was Roeder''s choice. Tommy Wright is a Northern Irish ''keeper and currently managing a club in Ireland, but he use to be at Newcastle with Roeder. (The wonder''s of Wikipedia)