Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

City v Binners Ressie score

Starting line up was very strong with a trialist in goal, Spilliane,Murray,Halliday,Lappin at the back a midfield of Chadwick,Lathorpe,Jarvis,Smart and Martin and Brown up.

The bench was Cave-Brown,Strihavka,Eagle,Kelly and 1 more i cant remember!!

After seeing that line up i thought "we''ll have these bunch of young un''s!" oh how wrong i was!!

We were totally outclassed by a bunch of kids with Liam Trotter the pick of the bunch.

I left on 75 mins.....the score......5-0 to the binners!

Oh Spillane got sent off but that was at 4!!

Night all!

GR would have been very impressed with the reserves this evening, players fighting for places, home game with unbeaten league leaders and arch rivals from ips***.What we actually saw was a team of players who proved they have no future at the club.

Spillane - rightly sent off

Murray and Lappin - poorer than i have ever seen them

Brown - would struggle in 2nd division

Chadwick - some decents runs but poor finish and looks like shoulder problem returned

Jarvis - a headless chicken

Martin - his performances last season have obviously made him think he is a better player than he actually is!

and i could go on, i have followed city since a small boy in ''76 and a season ticket in lower barclay with partner and son since 2001 and was so disappointed that i left after 75 mins (HAVE NEVER LEFT ANY GAME EARLY).

This is my first time on the message board but am so angry i felt i should leave these comments

Just read the report for last night reserves game against the Scum and i think its interesting that Dave was only on the bench!!  Apparentely he is not injured but Brown and Martin got the nod ahead of him.  Also i see Brellier wasnt included at all  i get the feeling those players wont be here in Jan.

Shows how poor our "reserves" are that even with a team of experience pros we get hammerred by a less experience I****** team

Young Trotter and Rhodes stole the show for Ipswich so I heard. Just goes to prove what a good acadmy set up can do for your club!!

I had a gutful at 4 nil. I don''t like to see my team lose by a big margin to any team, but when it''s the scum who''s doing the damage it''s much more than I can stand. Incidentally, I didn''t really notice any cheers for the binners'' goals. I can only assume any binner fans were either keeping a low profile or there were only about two at the game. I did spot one of those plug-ugly scummer twins who works on the market swaggering around with his inimitable inbred strut. You hear of babies sustaining damage to their heads when they have to be helped into the world with a pair of forceps, in their case - judging by their unfeasibly large misshapen skulls - I think a crowbar must have been used. They look as though somebody has been chopping firewood on their faces.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]I did spot one of those plug-ugly scummer twins who works on the market swaggering around with his inimitable inbred strut.[/quote]

Didn''t one of them make out he was a city fan for a while so that the evening news did an article about them i.e. twins who support town and city? They''ve ditched that anyway cos I saw the 2 little hobbits walking round the mall in their binner shirts. Not a great advert for our Suffolk neighbours

[quote user="chicken"]And what you get for having a better catchment area.
[/quote]

Sorry Chicken but that is so misguided.  If you are assuming that the Scums academy is better than ours merely because they have London as a catchment area I think you are very mistaken.  How many clubs in London do they have to compete with?  How many do we have to compete with?  What percentage of this London "goldmine" will actually be Ipswich supporters? Do you really think these kids will want to join Ipswich over Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal?

Weak argument I''m afraid, there is much more to it than catchment area.

I stuck it out to 0-5. Murray is just dreadful - Ipswich had 3 one-on-ones with the keeper in the first half alone. He makes Shackell look world-class. Other notables were Martin, who''s taken on board warnings about ending up playing for the Linnets, and is heading straight to Beccles Reserves, and Chadwick who was utterly devoid of ideas and ability. The sole footballer of quality in a yellow shirt was Simon Lappin. Smart looked good in flashes. Brown looked no more like scoring than he has in the first team. The first half was terrible, the second half started better, but Spillane took the half-time rocket on board and launched it at Synnott: he deserved the red. Strihavka still looks like a better footballer than Brown, but TBH no more threatening. Brellier, my guess is he''s sulking and he''ll be on his way soon.All very depressing, and the lack of credible defensive cover is very worrying.

[quote user="Stevo"]

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]I did spot one of those plug-ugly scummer twins who works on the market swaggering around with his inimitable inbred strut.[/quote]

Didn''t one of them make out he was a city fan for a while so that the evening news did an article about them i.e. twins who support town and city? They''ve ditched that anyway cos I saw the 2 little hobbits walking round the mall in their binner shirts. Not a great advert for our Suffolk neighbours

[/quote]

As you say, one hobbit claimed to be a City fan for a while. One story I heard which made me laugh my head off was that one munchkin fell asleep (wearing a binner shirt) on the train returning from a Scum v City match at Portaloo Road. When he woke up he discovered he was covered from head to toe in spittle. Some Norwich fans had taken it upon themseves to show their appreciation of the old Blue and White, lol.

you better hope your 1st teamers stay fit, can you please ask delia to do another famous bbq for when we play you?? we may pinch 1-0 win then

I went to this game.... first off, coldest thing I have done in a very long time.

Secondly, Chris Martin. Dear oh dear, whats gone wrong. He either has the natural pace of a porpoise in a sack race, or is about as unfit as John Hartson. He was seriously slow last night.

Chris Brown- I havent really been his biggest fan, but I have new sympathy for him recently as Ive discovered he got the same terrible knee injury as i have/had. And last night, he was pretty good. I really thought that.

Dave- When he came on (playing right midfield, and did a good job too) he almost scored in his first move. Really should be getting in the first team ahead of Martin, he does look sooo much better on this showing.

Jarvis+Spillane- Bit lightweight, Rossi is still the annoying player he was for the first team. Spillane deserved the sending off.

The rest- average at very best. Their Trotter chap in CM was immense- he should be in prem reserves somewhere. Think Tom Huddlestone.

the fact that a strong reserve team (including many first teamers from just a few weeks ago) were soundly routed by ipswich youngester nobodies shows either A. the morale of these city''s players is rock bottom and they played like they didn''t fancy it (B) they were crap all along.either way - it clearly shows how we ended up adrift at the bottom of the table until roeder got top grips with who was hot and who was not!!!

I can see quite a big clear out in january. I reckon Roeder may have lined up some more players leaving plenty of room to sell.

Lappin, Murray, Brellier, Strihavka, Brown will probably all go, with the 1st 3 heading to Scotland, Brown the leagues and Big Dave to his homeland.

Gallaghers loan will be extended, Smart will probably go to King''s lynn as will Halliday before being released. Martin and Rossi J will probably be contenders for Hartlepool loans, as will Ryan J when his loan ends soon.

Yes it was cold, me and daughter managed to stay until 70 mins, it was just too cold to even breathe.

To the comment re Ipswich fans, there were a few there last night, they cheered when they scored, and why not? They have a great young team (their club have greater commitment to bringing through young players and have for many years, never mind the catchment area).

We are in big trouble if we have to rely on many of those playing last night. Poor old Luke Chadwick, he''s having really bad luck with injuries. I hope the new coach can sort this lot out and we can kick start the academy again.

It''s tough losing to our neighbours, but it just goes to show that a club that has coped with administration and bigger debt than us can still continue to churn out class acts. A necessary and timely lesson for the whole club to take on board.

Lets talk about us, not them. They do not have a great young team, they are in the Championship just like us and have been for longer than us. As for catchment areas, I don''t really know. It''s fashionable to knock everything about the club at the moment and it seems there''s even more kudos to score points by using our bitterest rivals to do it. Some of our great youth players of the past didn''t come from our catchment area, Bellamy and Eadie are two but many did, Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox and Chris Sutton readily spring to mind. The players we have brought through in recent years have not been up to that standard even though successive managers have been berated for not playing them and buying "so called" journeymen.

I don''t think Roeder is going to rely too heavily on a lot of those who were playing last night. Six of them featured in the game at Plymouth in November and of that six only Chris Brown has had pitch time since and that was one minute against Coventry. I would think it''s up to those players to prove they are worth another go and I would doubt if they got close to doing that last night. But without those six the squad looks really thin so lets hope Roeder can get a bit more out of some of them.

[quote user="Duffman"]

I cant believe Peter Grant actually thought this lot would get us promotion this season.  

[/quote]

LOL... he wasn''t the only one was he???

95% of you lot on here were saying the same thing in August.... [:P]

I am sorry but catchment does have a lot to do with this.Haynes is not from Ipswich and he is one of their budding youngsters.The fact that they have Essex and parts of North London in their catchment area helps them no ends. Having a larger populous to draw from. Not only that but they are able to scout youngsters and even rejected youngsters from the premiership scouting grounds etc.When you look at our catchment area we simply dont have as much potential in the way of population and other clubs.Sure that result was not excusable - more because of the lack of performance from the "experienced" players than that of the youngsters who should have been loaned out for better experience already.

Gazza, you say Ipswich have a greater commitment to bringing through young players, can you go into a bit more detail on this? I''m not doubting what you say, I am interested in your views on this and why the academy products are (on the whole) such a disappointment. We invest huge amounts in the academy, does it need more money, more focus, or should we just scrap it?

Our academy relies largely on FONCY and the fans. The club invests over half a million a year in the academy (figures supplied by CE). Yet somehow we find more money to spend on roads, offices and the like.

Of course the geography thing hurts. Half our catchment area is the North Sea. Unless there are very intelligent fish there we are largely relying on a very large rural area. Yes, of course Ipswich have more players to choose from, but they have put more money and effort into bringing through their own players (probably due to administration) and it shows.

It''s not just investment though. We have had managers here who really don''t see the point of the academy (Worthington). I feel very sorry for the likes of John Landamore and the rest who run FONCY because it''s a thankless task. When we have had recent managers eager to buy in the likes of Thorne and Hughes rather than give our youngsters a go you can see the priority, or rather lack of it that goes towards the academy. I wondered when Martin Hunter appeared if things might change for the better, but they really did not.

Hopefully now things will change for the better. We do have some lads playing for their countries in the younger age groups.

Does it need more money? Yes, but it needs greater emphasis as a whole. Should we be capable of producing three or four class young players a year say, surely that is going to produce better results than other off field investments. Players frankly are what the club is about and can be sold on for vast sums as well as helping us to a better league status.

All pipe dreams, maybe, but if Ipswich can do it, so can we. If they were in deeper debt and managed it, why couldn''t we?

[quote user="chicken"]I am sorry but catchment does have a lot to do with this.

Haynes is not from Ipswich and he is one of their budding youngsters.

The fact that they have Essex and parts of North London in their catchment area helps them no ends. Having a larger populous to draw from. Not only that but they are able to scout youngsters and even rejected youngsters from the premiership scouting grounds etc.

When you look at our catchment area we simply dont have as much potential in the way of population and other clubs.

Sure that result was not excusable - more because of the lack of performance from the "experienced" players than that of the youngsters who should have been loaned out for better experience already.
[/quote]

I didn''t say catchment area doesn''t have much to do with it, I said there is more to it than just the one line answer you gave.  Surely Ipswich deserve (grudgingly) some credit for coaching these young players.  It''s not just all pot luck on who lives close by.

We can also scout youngsters and rejected youngsters from Premiership scouting grounds.  The rules on travel time etc only relate to players under the age of 16.  After that we can take who we want from where we want.  I am not criticising City, the players we have brought through just have not been good enough and there is nothing you do about it if they do not develope as you had hoped.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[quote user="chicken"]I am sorry but catchment does have a lot to do with this.Haynes is not from Ipswich and he is one of their budding youngsters.The fact that they have Essex and parts of North London in their catchment area helps them no ends. Having a larger populous to draw from. Not only that but they are able to scout youngsters and even rejected youngsters from the premiership scouting grounds etc.When you look at our catchment area we simply dont have as much potential in the way of population and other clubs.Sure that result was not excusable - more because of the lack of performance from the "experienced" players than that of the youngsters who should have been loaned out for better experience already.[/quote]

I didn''t say catchment area doesn''t have much to do with it, I said there is more to it than just the one line answer you gave.  Surely Ipswich deserve (grudgingly) some credit for coaching these young players.  It''s not just all pot luck on who lives close by.

We can also scout youngsters and rejected youngsters from Premiership scouting grounds.  The rules on travel time etc only relate to players under the age of 16.  After that we can take who we want from where we want.  I am not criticising City, the players we have brought through just have not been good enough and there is nothing you do about it if they do not develope as you had hoped.

[/quote]But we are criticisning first or second year pros - is that really fair? Some of these guys are only 18 - kids more or less and we are slating them, its not like that is going to help much is it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Lets talk about us, not them. They do not have a great young team, they are in the Championship just like us and have been for longer than us.

[/quote]

The problem is Nigel, that even having gone into administration they have outperformed us in the last 10 years, with numerous play-off finishes and a premiership stint of their own (including two european adventures).  They are even outperforming us now, after spending little if anything in the summer. Why is that??

They seem to have stabilised these last two seasons after losing so many of their good players, and now are back on the up again.  Signings laughed at on this board in the summer like Counago and Miller proving their worth.

IMO they have a boardroom that for right or wrong puts results on the pitch as the number one objective and focus.  Even though our club is all setup to do well, getting it right on the pitch seems alien to us.

In fact Magilton has to take a lot of credit as the following list is as impressive a list of bargain basement signings as you will see.

Michael SynnottHome FarmFree01-07-2006

Alex BruceBirminghamFree04-08-2006
Dan HardingLeedsSwap04-08-2006
Martin BrittainNewcastleFree21-08-2006
Sylvain LegwinskiFulhamFree31-08-2006
Jaroslav DrobnyFulhamFree27-10-2006
Gary RobertsAccrington200K01-01-2007
David WrightWigan200K11-01-2007
Jonathan WaltersChester150K30-01-2007

Pablo CounagoMalagaFree13-07-2007
Neil AlexanderCardiffFree16-07-2007
Tommy MillerSunderlandFree19-07-2007

compare this list to this and it

Lee CroftMan City600K31-07-2006
Dion DublinCelticFree20-09-2006
Luke ChadwickStoke200K04-01-2007
Chris BrownSunderland325K11-01-2007
Simon LappinSt Mirren100K31-01-2007
Jon OtsemoborCreweFree13-06-2007
Matthew GilksRochdaleFree27-06-2007
Jamie CuretonColchester700K29-06-2007
Julien BrellierHeartsFree03-07-2007
David MarshallCeltic750K04-07-2007

David StrihavkaBanik Ostrava750K11-07-2007
Darel RussellStoke410K30-07-2007
Ian MurrayRangersFree24-08-2007

Norwich fees of around 3,825,000

Ipswich fees around 550,000

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

Absolutely... 

"Danny Haynes trialled for the Canaries Under-19 side against Birmingham on 13th March 2004. He was then with the Charlton Athletic Academy. On April 3rd, he played for Ipswich''s Under-19s ironically again against Birmingham.

Impressing for the Suffolk side, he was one of nine players inducted into their Academy at the end of April 2004. The others were England Under-16 striker Darryl Knights, left back Stuart Ainsley of Felixstowe, Irish striker Billy Clarke, Irish midfielder Owen Garvan, former Chelsea midfielder Sammy Moore, Scottish international Alan Storrie, former Fulham defender Jack Haverson and Northern Irish centre-back Chris Casement."

Out of these 9 Haynes, Clarke and Garvan appear reguarly for Ipswich. Casement has played a couple of times and Moore has been loaned.  Haverson, Storrie and Knights   were released

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

[quote user="chicken"]I am sorry but catchment does have a lot to do with this.

Haynes is not from Ipswich and he is one of their budding youngsters.

The fact that they have Essex and parts of North London in their catchment area helps them no ends. Having a larger populous to draw from. Not only that but they are able to scout youngsters and even rejected youngsters from the premiership scouting grounds etc.

When you look at our catchment area we simply dont have as much potential in the way of population and other clubs.

Sure that result was not excusable - more because of the lack of performance from the "experienced" players than that of the youngsters who should have been loaned out for better experience already.
[/quote]

[/quote]

But we are criticisning first or second year pros - is that really fair? Some of these guys are only 18 - kids more or less and we are slating them, its not like that is going to help much is it?
[/quote]

Are we having the same conversation here because you are losing me??  Where have I slated our 18 year old players?

Again I put it to you that there is much more to running an Academy than being "lucky" to have a small part of London as your catchment area as your once sentence post suggested.  Maybe, just maybe (and without being shot down for knocking "everything" at the club) our scouting of young players could possibly be improved a bit??  Without a cash-rich investor our best chance of success is to go back to the days where we were producing a good player or two.  It''s not as easy to do as it is to say but I really think that the way forward for us is to get back to what we were doing 20 years ago. 

Yes it was bloody cold and we lasted till the end. That took effort on behalf of my nine year old and myself-shame it did not materialise on the pitch. Obvious some were going through the motions knowing their time was up whilst others just cannot hack it even at that level. Lest forget the rivalry Ipswich played well and together as a team putting some good moves together with just rewards. Why Dave Strihavka did not start is beyond me and one wonders when Chris Brown is ever going to get the service he needs to score goals. He held the ball up well and laid off several times but usually had to come back into his own half to have any hope of seeing the ball-and then we criticise him for not scoring.

Be good to see Bally Smart get some more experience at a League 1/2 club as he appears to have the potential to go further. Sadly cannot same about Robert Eagle who always seems lightweight both in stature and ability. Chris Martin was an overweight disgrace and Halliday outclassed at every stage. The less said about Ashley Timms the better. Simon Lappin has the ability but in what position-left back he is not.

As for catchment area look at wimbledon who had to compete with a whole host of glamorous London clubs but still managed to make it to the top flight and win the F.A Cup. Its not always about money-good scouting and motivation both on and off the field can bring an awful lot to a club.