Sign in to follow this  
Freddy H

Is "of" a verb?

Well, just try conjugating it: I of, you of, he/she/it ofs, we of, you of, they of.

I don''t think so!

Its have that you are looking for.

Could have, Would have, Should have.

[quote user="Freddy H"]Well, just try conjugating it: I of, you of, he/she/it ofs, we of, you of, they of.

I don''t think so!

[/quote]

Very good. And you''re quite right, of course.

But the problem with becoming an English teacher is that you are setting yourself up for a fall. And you''ve used the word "Its" when I think you meant to say "It''s".

[quote user="inch_high"]

Fans like managers with charisma, passion, and emotion. Not some chap who looks like an accountant and sounds like a train-spotter.

what on earth are you on about?? glenns the best manager we''ve had here in years

[/quote]

If we''re going to be silly word-wise, try this one:

If understand is to ''know'' or ''get''.....

Then is ''derstand'' to not know or not get?

Don''t get excited Beaker! It''s a quote from a newspaper to see if people reconised it as Glenn, you did. Never said anywhere who it was, it''s how people(you obviously included)percieve him.[:)]

Now of you trot and carry on Wolves fan bashing.

[quote user="Freddy H"]Well, just try conjugating it: I of, you of, he/she/it ofs, we of, you of, they of.

I don''t think so!

[/quote]

Actually - he/she/it ''has''

So, no, ''have'' isn''t always what we are looking for!

An interesting thread for the Christmas holidays. 

It all stems from the divergence between written and spoken English - is a message bord a place for written, or ''spoken'' or both? 

The of/have error stems from using '' ''ve'' as a shortened form of ''have'' i.e. should''ve; could''ve; would''ve etc.  There are lots of other problems e.g. ''loose'' (which is the opposite of tight), when people mean ''lose'' (which is what we spent October and November doing).

I think the quality of the thoughts is more important than the fluidity with which they are expressed; or is that being too (as opposed to ''to'' or ''two'') reasonable?

I do hope you all enjoyed being patronised...cue a barrage of abuse...

[quote user="suffolk canary"]

I do hope you all enjoyed being patronised...cue a barrage of abuse...

[/quote]

Or can we queue for a barrage of abuse!

Continuing the theme of being patronising, I''ve noticed a couple of ''professionally'' written articles on Archant sites stating players or management will not be PHASED by upcoming events. Surely this should be FAZED, unless we are talking about being stunned by a Star Treck type ray-gun[8-|]

Even the Times newspaper is capable of a real howler of a spelling mistake. One day a few weeks ago I was reading an article in the paper when my eyes were drawn to an alien word. The word was SEGWAYED. I can only assume the intended word was segued, which would have fitted into the context of the article. The spelling was so far out that it couldn''t have been a typo.

noo, dnt be sooo stoopid meh bouy, us narfuck lots nose our spellins, which is why im ere to tells ya too lay off yeh selly get.unfortunately these days being grammatically correct in terms of the words you speak now means that you seem totally uncomprehendable and utterly pathetic, words are just blurred and miscomprehended/misunderstood

Oh dear, what of I started?  Tee Hee.

Should I mention brought and bought?

What a difference an r can make! Both words are used when

communicating in the past tense, but have entirely different meanings.

Bought: past tense of   "to buy".

"Jeremy bought a new computer for £500."

Brought: past tense of   "to bring".

"Katherine brought several bottles of wine to the party."

I don''t know about you, but I like Katherine betterer.