Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Carrow

Players over £1million.......

[quote]Does recent history show the club are willing to push the boat out for

such players? Isn`t this Taylor business another indication that they

are not?[/quote]The Taylor business is an indication that Birmingham want to get the best price for their player.  They were never going to agree to an extension to Taylors'' emergency loan when they already had a satisfactory bid agreed.[quote]Both later proved to be bargains anyway as they were sold on for big profits.[/quote]1.25 million pounds for a 28 year old centre-back that can''t get a game in the first team at Birmingham.  It''s unlikely that we''d make money on that deal.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

How many players have city ever signed for more than £1m irrespective of the board?

[/quote]

this is 10 years on matey!  Prices go up!

[/quote]

Have prices gone up?   The impact of the Bosman ruling has been enormous in stifling transfer fees at champs level well below inflation levels (and at prem level too excluding the very best players who always attract a premium) and £1m signings have been around since the 70s - was Fash our first followed by Reeves as sales around that time?

So in 30 ish years we have what 3/4 £1m signings two of which have been during the last 3 years and were both £3m ish?   Sounds like a board with as equal ambition as we have ever had to me.

"Hucks would have been a bargain at triple the price"Really? £750k-ish x3 = £2.25million.No disrespect to the wonder-football-god that is Huckerby but even my undying worship of him thinks he is worth that much. We signed him as a striker remember! £750k was indeed an absolute steal but I don''t think you could claim that £2.25million was a steal. And at the time of his signing you probably could have bought the rest of the squad for £2.25million.I think it is all reletive. I also think that Roeder has as much a decision over this as the board and if you read what he has said it seems like there is enough money in the pot to sign Taylor but without talking to the other clubs about the other loanees etc he can not commit to that much money a month before January. That and he also doesn''t know how much is coming in the other way.I think the point has been made that some of our best players have not cost us millions and yet it seems some fans are fixated on the idea that good players come at high prices.Other players you could argue were steals in recent seasons: Damian Francis, Etuhu, McKenzie, Holt, Edworthy and more.As for people going on about the old youth system: O''Neil, Bellamy and some of the others would be ineligable in the current system, we would have to sign them like a player - or pay compensation to the club they were with or get their agreement to let us have them. This is because of the distance/travel time rule. This is why we are left with the local lads. As for Fox - am I wrong in saying he was not a product of our youth system but that of the tyre munchers down the road? According to wikipedia and flown from the nest he started playing for us at 18 and they normaly state younger if they are youth products.As for our current youngsters - are we too quick to judge? Beckham is 32 - played his first senior level game for Man Utd at the end of the 94/95 season, 11 years ago. In my books that would have made him 20ish. Some of the players people mention on here are younger than that and deserve time and patience. Look how we have failed with that in the past with Dublin, Zamora etc.

[quote user="chicken"]"Hucks would have been a bargain at triple the price"

Really? £750k-ish x3 = £2.25million.

No disrespect to the wonder-football-god that is Huckerby but even my undying worship of him thinks he is worth that much. We signed him as a striker remember!

£750k was indeed an absolute steal but I don''t think you could claim that £2.25million was a steal. And at the time of his signing you probably could have bought the rest of the squad for £2.25million.

[/quote]

If he got us promoted he would have been worth that.  Therefore he probably was worth that sum.  I mean, look at the side before he arrived - languishing in mid table going nowhere.  The previous year he shot Nottingham Forest to the play-offs, they proceeded to get relegated after not taking him on permanently.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

How many players have city ever signed for more than £1m irrespective of the board?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have prices gone up?   The impact of the Bosman ruling has been enormous in stifling transfer fees at champs level well below inflation levels (and at prem level too excluding the very best players who always attract a premium) and £1m signings have been around since the 70s - was Fash our first followed by Reeves as sales around that time?

So in 30 ish years we have what 3/4 £1m signings two of which have been during the last 3 years and were both £3m ish?   Sounds like a board with as equal ambition as we have ever had to me.

[/quote]

In 1994 we got £5m for Chris Sutton which was a British record at the time.  Need I say more?

Beckham made his debut at 17.

The first £1m+ sigining in Britain was in Feb 1979, Trevor Francis.  Although wikipedia state it as £999,999

Transfer fees have continued to rise since the Bosman case, although they have steadied over the last few years.

In July 1994 when we signed Newsome for £1m the record transfer fee paid by a British club was the £5m Blackburn paid us for Sutton in the same month of 1994.

The record transfer fee now (I believe) is the £30m Chelsea paid for Andriy Schevchenko. 

So since we signed Newsome the record British transfer fee (paid by a British club) has increased 6 fold. 

Link to progression of transfer fees here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_football_transfer_record

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In 1994 we got £5m for Chris Sutton which was a British record at the time.  Need I say more?

[/quote]

No need to say more Fat Prophet as it does seem like you missed the point of the thread ( again ). The originator of the thread and all subsequent posts ( until yours ) were commenting on what values Norwich had paid as a Championship club under this Board. You must be thinking outside of the box again, which probably explains why you keep missing the point. The 5 million Blackburn paid Norwich was when both were in the Premiership and Blackburn were prepared to extend themselves to help them win the title. They had a wealthy owner that facilitated that. A little different than the discussion about Norwich acquisitions in the Championship don''t you think.    

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Beckham made his debut at 17.

The first £1m+ sigining in Britain was in Feb 1979, Trevor Francis.  Although wikipedia state it as £999,999

Transfer fees have continued to rise since the Bosman case, although they have steadied over the last few years.

In July 1994 when we signed Newsome for £1m the record transfer fee paid by a British club was the £5m Blackburn paid us for Sutton in the same month of 1994.

The record transfer fee now (I believe) is the £30m Chelsea paid for Andriy Schevchenko. 

So since we signed Newsome the record British transfer fee (paid by a British club) has increased 6 fold. 

Link to progression of transfer fees here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_football_transfer_record

[/quote]"As for our current youngsters - are we too quick to judge? Beckham is

32 - played his first senior level game for Man Utd at the end of the

94/95 season, 11 years ago. In my books that would have made him 20ish.

Some of the players people mention on here are younger than that and

deserve time and patience. Look how we have failed with that in the

past with Dublin, Zamora etc."Information from Wikipedia read that influenced this:

"He was part of a group of young players at the club who guided the club to win the FA Youth Cup in May 1992, with Beckham scoring in the second leg[15] of the final against Crystal Palace. He made his first appearance for United''s first-team that year, as a substitute in a League Cup match against Brighton & Hove Albion,

and signed his first professional contract shortly afterwards. United

reached the final of the Youth Cup again the following year, with

Beckham playing in their defeat by Leeds United, and he won another medal in 1994 when the club''s reserve team won their league.

He went to Preston North End on loan in the 1994–95 season to get some first team experience, then made his first Premier League appearance for Manchester United on 2 April 1995, in a goalless draw against Leeds United."

So ok technically you are correct, but it was in the legue cup - something that we have seen in recent years is it not. I think this makes things even clearer to see, he did not appear for Man Utd in the league untill April 1995 a month off 20. So I think my point still stands really. We have players like Rossi who people are ruling out as dross and yet some players don''t break into teams untill closer to 20, they can''t all be Rooney''s or Owen''s and be sublime at 16.

Just for an ounce of measure:

"However, Crystal Palace talent scout Peter Prentice happened to see Wright in a local Sunday-league match and invited him to have a trial at Selhurst Park. Having impressed then-manager Steve Coppell, he signed professional terms for Crystal Palace in August 1985, just three months short of his 22nd birthday."

Again wikipedia - this time it being Ian Wright. So as I said, people should not be so quick to judge.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="chicken"]"Hucks would have been a bargain at triple the price"Really? £750k-ish x3 = £2.25million.No disrespect to the wonder-football-god that is Huckerby but even my undying worship of him thinks he is worth that much. We signed him as a striker remember! £750k was indeed an absolute steal but I don''t think you could claim that £2.25million was a steal. And at the time of his signing you probably could have bought the rest of the squad for £2.25million.[/quote]

If he got us promoted he would have been worth that.  Therefore he probably was worth that sum.  I mean, look at the side before he arrived - languishing in mid table going nowhere.  The previous year he shot Nottingham Forest to the play-offs, they proceeded to get relegated after not taking him on permanently.

[/quote]I am sorry SJF - but I really can''t agree. The point that was being made was that he would be a steal at £2.25million - and that I am afraid is wrong.Yes you could say that for £2.25million he would still be worth it for the progress we made afterwards but I would not say that it would be a steal.Was Huckerby worth £2.25million then - I am not sure but that is a different question altogether. Personaly I think at that time with the transfers the way they were he was probably valued at around £1.5-£2million no more.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]ZLF - have you a source for those figures? I have tried googling them but can''t find them. Also accurate figures for player wages, which I believe HAVE gone up considerably year on year. I guess as these figures don''t have to be disclosed, they aren''t published anywhere?I''m really uneasy about the whole thought that players are financial assets, and if we spend 1m we can always get that back if we sell the players. There are numerous things outside the clubs control that can stop that, and clubs in a weak position never get top dollar for their players. The board and Roeder have obviously agreed a players budget, and Roeder will have a shortlist of players he wants for the positions he wants to fill. Trying to make out the fact that we haven''t signed Taylor yet as a sign that the board have no ambition is an extremely blinkered view. We don''t know Brum''s valuation, what QPR bid (even if they bid for Taylor alone, the other media rumour is that they bid 2.5m for him and Vine combined), what we bid, what his wage demands are, what other players Roeder might have lined up for that position, what other players Roeder wants for other positions, who he plans to sell... only Glenn and the board know all of that, and all the signs coming from our manager is that they are united.

Crouch was desperate to join us when he was here on loan and admits it in his book.

Shame that someone at the club didn''t push the boat out, knowing that it could only be a good investment-yes, we might have paid 1.5, 2 Million for him, but the investment in that signing was there for all to see, and so it paid off.

Big Down Under makes a very good point.

Clubs awash with money usually use it to blow their rivals out of the proverbial water when it comes to transfer fees etc. The Seth Johnson debacle is a great example, Leeds weren''t the only club after him, but, because they could (or couldn''t, as we know now!) they offered £3 Million odd more than what other clubs were offering, result, there was no way Derby wanted to sell him to anyone but Leeds!

If QPR do have the money and have offered more than Birmingham might have asked or expected -or, clearly, more than Tiny is worth-then Birmingham will want to do all they can to (a) flog him to QPR and (b) put us off/get us out of the running-as, if we do pull out/state we can''t sign him, Taylor will then realise that he can''t join us and look for the second option- voila! QPR!

And, as good a player as he is, and as good an aquisition as he obviously will be, we can''t compete with QPR if thats going to be their game, and quite frankly (and this is what Blackburn did to get their initial promotion when Walker took over, buying big and spending lots) who can compete with their backing?

Our only chance is if Taylor tells Birmingham emphatically and with some finality that he will not and is not interested in joining QPR, period. Brum can''t force him to go there and will reluctantly have to consider other clubs and offers-volia! Norwich City!

It looks like we are playing a bit of a dangerous game here, a bit of brinksmanship, it may come off, it may not, and, after all, at one point a few Decembers ago, the club "reluctantly announced" that we would not be signing Darren Huckerby. I don''t think the Taylor story is over yet by a long way, but there has been, and will be, a lot of moves going on behind the scenes for a while yet and we can but wait and hope.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="chicken"]"Hucks would have been a bargain at triple the price"

Really? £750k-ish x3 = £2.25million.

No disrespect to the wonder-football-god that is Huckerby but even my undying worship of him thinks he is worth that much. We signed him as a striker remember!

£750k was indeed an absolute steal but I don''t think you could claim that £2.25million was a steal. And at the time of his signing you probably could have bought the rest of the squad for £2.25million.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am sorry CJF - but I really can''t agree. The point that was being made was that he would be a steal at £2.25million - and that I am afraid is wrong.

Yes you could say that for £2.25million he would still be worth it for the progress we made afterwards but I would not say that it would be a steal.

Was Huckerby worth £2.25million then - I am not sure but that is a different question altogether. Personaly I think at that time with the transfers the way they were he was probably valued at around £1.5-£2million no more.
[/quote]

I understand where you are coming from and agree with your valuation!  Then again looking at how much Sheffield United forked out for a 32 year old Akinbiyi the following season, we got a real bargain in Hucks.  Unfortunatly sometimes you have to pay the market valuation. I think our Board thought they could pull off another Hucks style raid with Brum. But Birmingham are no mugs and rightly sense they can get a full valuation out of Martin Taylor.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No need to say more Fat Prophet as it does seem like you missed the point of the thread ( again ). The originator of the thread and all subsequent posts ( until yours ) were commenting on what values Norwich had paid as a Championship club under this Board. You must be thinking outside of the box again, which probably explains why you keep missing the point. The 5 million Blackburn paid Norwich was when both were in the Premiership and Blackburn were prepared to extend themselves to help them win the title. They had a wealthy owner that facilitated that. A little different than the discussion about Norwich acquisitions in the Championship don''t you think.    

[/quote]

Yankee seriously, you''re starting to give me the creeps. 

I have no wish to play the misogyny card but it appears you have problems relating to women. 

Please stop pestering me.  I will not, under any circumstances, be responding to any more of your posts. 

Akinbiyi was a rip off! The problem is when you have a big mouth like Warnock you are often asked to back it up - and he did but way over the odds.I think if anything Huckerby''s transfer displays how the market is volatile and not at all reliable to base any sort of sound argument on. Chevchenko cost £30million but for around half of that you could have Henry - I know who I would rather have! But at the same time Darren Bent cost a little more than Henry but is less proven than Chevchenko.As me old dad always says - something is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it. And with football it is not just down to the biggest bid in all cases, we know that with Huckerby.I don''t think there is any doubt that Huckerby was a bargain but I don''t think it is true that bargains cost more now. It''s just a matter of how good the manager is at getting the best out of his scouts and the board at negotiating a price.For all the bad words said about Worthington you can hardly blast him for his transfer activity really, he didn''t spend an awful lot because he wasn''t given an awful lot. And the players he did get in were at least mid table quality - much like most of the team when we were promoted as you mentioned. He did it all on a shoe-string budget and got some real bargins as well as flops, and personaly I will take the flops as long as they are at least balanced by the successful players.

Thank god Plymouth had the good sense to buy in a few ''million pound plus'' footballers.Sell off the club bus and make the players run to away games - football must come first

So even at a time when we were getting record transfer sums and the club was at the pinacle of its performance cycle we were not prepared to re-invest in £1m. 

City have NEVER spent significant money on buying players,  irrespective of the board and comparing transfer fees in absolute terms is a waste of effort.  Comparing it to club turnover would be a measure but again would not reflect the relative increase in player wages in proportion to transfer fees driven by both sky money and the bosman effect. 

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yankee seriously, you''re starting to give me the creeps. 

I have no wish to play the misogyny card but it appears you have problems relating to women. 

Please stop pestering me.  I will not, under any circumstances, be responding to any more of your posts. 

[/quote]

Fat Prophet, if you have observed my posts on here in the past, even if you do not appreciate my style, you will know that any critical comments I offer are not directed to anyone based upon their gender, so for you to play that card ( while saying you have no wish to do so ) is pure hogwash. Exchanging opinions as well as challenging the views of others is what this message board is all about and I will continue to do that on any post or poster that relates to Norwich City FC as and when I see fit.

My input to you on this thread directly relates to the stated purpose of the thread and I stuck to the facts in pointing out to you that you appear to have completely missed the point. You would do well to do the same…stick to thread discussion instead of all this emotional nonsense you have just responded to me with. Incidentally, I don’t require you to respond to one or any of my posts. That was always your free choice as you already know.

Chicken. The signing of Huckerby basically secured us a promotion worth £35million. I think 99% of Norwich fans will agree with this and in that context he was worth triple (and some) what he cost. This only goes to highlight what i believe the board still don`t understand- that signing a very good player (even if you pay over the odds) can have a far greater effect in terms of momentum/feel-good/confidence than the basic "value" of the player. I think Taylor is one of those players and it appears the board are prepared to lose him (at best for several important games) for the sake of a few £100k.

[quote]I think Taylor is one of those players and it appears the board are

prepared to lose him (at best for several important games) for the sake

of a few £100k.[/quote]To say that with any confidence you would have to know the following :
  • The bid that QPR have made and had accepted
  • The bid that we have made (Karen Brady claims we haven''t even made a bid yet)
Neither of these things are public knowledge.  You also assume that this decision has been taken without the knowledge of GR.  Is it possible that he is fully aware of what he is doing, has an agreed budget to work within,  and has other irons in the fire ?Assuming the media are right, can you name me another centre-back who has signed for a Championship club for 1.25 million ? Or even approaching that figure ?  Bearing in mind he''s 28, and bearing in mind GRs'' contacts in the game, I wouldn''t be suprised if he can use our money a bit better than that. [:)]

" the signing of Huckerby basically secured us a promotion worth £35million."eh ?do you do the accounts for the binners, you don''t sound too bright ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]I think Taylor is one of those players and it appears the board are prepared to lose him (at best for several important games) for the sake of a few £100k.[/quote]

To say that with any confidence you would have to know the following :

• The bid that QPR have made and had accepted

• The bid that we have made (Karen Brady claims we haven''t even made a bid yet)

Neither of these things are public knowledge.  You also assume that this decision has been taken without the knowledge of GR.  Is it possible that he is fully aware of what he is doing, has an agreed budget to work within,  and has other irons in the fire ?

Assuming the media are right, can you name me another centre-back who has signed for a Championship club for 1.25 million ? Or even approaching that figure ?  Bearing in mind he''s 28, and bearing in mind GRs'' contacts in the game, I wouldn''t be suprised if he can use our money a bit better than that. [:)]
[/quote]

1) The rumours of a 1-1.25 million bid are mere speculation but are believable.  The 1 million price tag seems fair enough to me.

2) 26 year old Fitz Hall''s Rumoured asking price is around 1.2 million

3) 27 year old Wayne Thomas cost Southampton 1 million earlier this season

[quote user="City1st"]" the signing of Huckerby basically secured us a promotion worth £35million."

eh ?

do you do the accounts for the binners, you don''t sound too bright ?
[/quote]

Explain please. And how come everyone you don`t agree with is thick and yet you refuse to reply when the going gets a bit tough?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Chicken. The signing of Huckerby basically secured us a promotion worth £35million. I think 99% of Norwich fans will agree with this and in that context he was worth triple (and some) what he cost. This only goes to highlight what i believe the board still don`t understand- that signing a very good player (even if you pay over the odds) can have a far greater effect in terms of momentum/feel-good/confidence than the basic "value" of the player. I think Taylor is one of those players and it appears the board are prepared to lose him (at best for several important games) for the sake of a few £100k.[/quote]I may have to re-iterate this point. I didn''t say Huckerby was not worth triple his value - merely that he would not have been a steal for that price.I am sorry but perhaps it is not I that is highlighting a failure. When we were promoted we some of the money on Dean Ashton, some on the new stand and some on paying off debts etc. If we had spent more money getting in Huckerby it is likely that one of these other factors would have suffered as a result - with the most likely one being players coming in. Yes knowing this in hindsight £2million may have been a fair price for Huckerby but it would most certainly not have been a "steal".Especially when you consider Ashton cost £3million and Earnshaw a tad under. I would say Huckerby comes at the bottom of that list in Striking terms.But you see the problem here is are we taking so many factors that we could consider add to Huckerbys value post transfer. At the time he hadn''t played regular first team football for some time.If teams are going to value a player like that the best way to do it would be through add-ons etc. I hate to say it but I am not sure that Taylor is worth £1.2million. Neither do I think Hall is, infact although marginally younger Hall has played less football than Taylor over the last couple of seasons so I can''t see how he is worth that much.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_transfers_Summer_2007 :

Only 9 clubs out of the 24 in the league paid 1 million + for a transfer during this years'' summer transfer window.
Only 18 players transferred to championship teams cost a transfer fee of 1 million +.

How many players out of the list below would we be interested in ?   Are they any better than "cheaper" players in this league, or were their contracts just longer ?  How many have made a genuine impact in this Championship season ?

Luke Varney - Crewe - Charlton 2m
Zheng Zhi - Shangdong Luneng - Charlton 2 m
Izale McCleod - MK Dons - Charlton 1.1 m

Caleb Folan - Wigan Ath - Hull City 1 m

Stephen Clemence - Birmingham - Leicester 1 m
DJ Campbell - Birmingham - Leicester 2.1 m

Darren Carter - WBA - Preston 1.25 m

Gary Naysmith - Everton - Sheff Utd 1m
James Beattie - Everton - Sheff Utd 4m

Wayne Thomas - Burnley - Southampton 1 m

Jobi MacAnuff - Crystal Palace - Watford 1.75 m
Nathan Ellington - WBA - Watford 3.25 m

Craig Beattie - Celtic - WBA 1.25 m
Leon Barnett - Luton - WBA 2.5 m
James Morrison - Middelsborough - WBA 1.5 m
Pedro Pele - Southampton - WBA 1 m
Chris Brunt - Sheff Wed - WBA 3 m

Freddy Eastwood - Southend - Wolves 1.5 m

P.S. 2.1 million for DJ Campbell ?  What was Malcolm Allen on ?

[/quote]

DJ Campbell has about 4 goals in 4 games for Leicester does he not???

Maybe if he was given a run out every week rather then he would have many more???

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="City1st"]" the signing of Huckerby basically secured us a promotion worth £35million."

eh ?

[/quote]

Explain please. And how come everyone you don`t agree with is thick and yet you refuse to reply when the going gets a bit tough?

[/quote]

Still hasn''t replied.........probably got his big foot trapped in a stirrup - and is still stuck on his high horse.

Smudger - he has been injured for 6 weeks and will be out for another 3 months. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/7149508.stm I believe he has had 12 starts this season.Leicester are currently a great example of a club not getting instant success following a headline takeover and spending big over the summer. Maybe they should sack the board?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

eh ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Still hasn''t replied.........probably got his big foot trapped in a stirrup - and is still stuck on his high horse.

[/quote]

Ralph Wright hasn''t posted on here since City1st''s been around . . . funny that [8-)]

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

eh ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ralph Wright hasn''t posted on here since City1st''s been around . . . funny that [8-)]

[/quote]

I will post some figures when i get more time and then we`ll see if Ralph.....sorry, City1st......can get his little head round them. [;)]