Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Don't think we've seen the last of Lappin

I may be in a minority but i still think he has plenty to offer. He''s also shown in the EDP article that he''s not one to sit and sulk when he''s out of the team (Brellier!) but to get his head down and get himself back in there. Remember Fotheringham was a no good lightweight not so long ago, now he''s captain of the side and probably the first name on the teamsheet. And we can''t afford to chuck decent left feet out of the side so lightly, i hope Roeder appreciates that. I see Lappin as a left-footed Beckham type player. He doesn''t beat people, but can play a great pass and cross with a little space, and isn''t afraid to stick his foot in and do the donkey work also. Like i say, i don''t think we''ve seen the last of him.

I hope we keep Lapin too as he is a good squad player.

Comparing him to Beckham is a bit over the top dude, he is average at best but I think he can do a good job in this division as utility player

I''m with you a1 - he''s got a sweet left foot and a good range of passing, and we need football players as well as Darel Russell. I really hope he''s as determined as he seems to be to make it here.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]To be fair his one poor performance was against Plymouth. Prior to that he was one of our better players. I think he has been a bit unlucky.[/quote]

you only counting opposition teams from Devon.

How about Wolves and QPR. I make that 3 woeful performances...at least (mind you the remainder of the teams at those matches didn''t play much better either).

I think he''s a weak player. We can''t play with 10 men in the hope he gets a free-kick on the edge of the area.

I think Lappin is good too- we need players like him. With him, we have basically what Ian Murray was touted as without the CB bit.

Dont take that as a dig at Murray- I think hes alright as well

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

think he''s a weak player. We can''t play with 10 men in the hope he gets a free-kick on the edge of the area.

[/quote]He''s capable of competing physically against sides in this division - he was very good against Ipswich. The question is whether he can do that consistently. I hope he can, but we''ll know one way or the other by the end of January.

He is as big a part of the problem as anybody. He is sustandard and I for one am glad the manager can see this.

These type of posts always take us back to the same question. If everybody is so good why are we so crap?

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

He is as big a part of the problem as anybody. He is sustandard and I for one am glad the manager can see this.

These type of posts always take us back to the same question. If everybody is so good why are we so crap?

[/quote]

Oh dear, what a symplistic view - "it''s the team stupid!" On paper, Chelsea would have won every competition they''d entered in the last few years and Reading and Wigan would have been relegated in their first seasons in the Premiership rather than finished in the top 10.It is equally simplistic just to say "Lappin is substandard." You would have said that about Fotheringham not very long ago. It''s possible therefore, that there are players who still have a lot to give to the "team" even if up until now they haven''t shown their full potential. I admit he may prove to be not up to it, but i reckon he has some quality, which is a rare commodity in this league. Add some steel and fitness and you have a player we should be keeping.

[/quote]

...oh, and what''s this? http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/895431/ShowPost.aspxYou appear to have ''previous'' Hardhouse in jumping to conclusions about players!

I think Lappin is an OK squad player, he will never set this league alight but will do OK when picked.  When the team is being picked to incorporate such an average player into the side - ala the hopeless Grant and worse Duffy, then you know you have problems.

As for Fozzy, he seems muchlike the old Mulryne to me, nowhere near great but can do a decent job at this level.

[quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

think he''s a weak player. We can''t play with 10 men in the hope he gets a free-kick on the edge of the area.

[/quote]He''s capable of competing physically against sides in this division - he was very good against Ipswich. The question is whether he can do that consistently. I hope he can, but we''ll know one way or the other by the end of January.
[/quote] Technically he''s ok, physically he isn''t strong enough to compete in this division, get''s knocked off the ball far to easily, my 13 year old has more strength than him.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]

[/quote]

...oh, and what''s this?

http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/895431/ShowPost.aspx

You appear to have ''previous'' Hardhouse in jumping to conclusions about players!
[/quote]

What are you on. I stand by both posts. Fotheringham is not good enough for a team pushing for promotion. You give him time and room, don''t get in his face and yeah he can pass the ball but that happens only every 10 matches or so. We will see where he and we are next season won''t we.

I again say to those who don''t have a problem with any of our players. If they are all so good the why are we so crap. Sorry but the simplistic view is to say everybody is going to come good. Time is not on anybodies side in this game. We can''t rely on players delivering the goods every 10th game. And we can''t play lightweight slouches just because every 5th game he put in a half decent cross or free kick in.

Dead wood like lappin must be unloaded for this club to ever more on. He like so many of grant acquisitions are substandard. He bought them he played them and he failed because of them. We are sill reeling from his mismanagement.

Lets not say anything bad about the team from the same poster who want to ban Ipswich fans from posting because it upsets him!!!! say''s it all.

Lets not say anything bad about the team from the same poster who want to ban Ipswich fans from posting because it upsets him!!!! say''s it all.

[/quote]Don''t be ridiculous - this is about Lappin. Who''s saying "don''t say anything bad about the team"? You just made that up. The Fotheringham reference is just an example of where a player who has been previously perceived as not up to anything has changed opinions and come good. My view is that Lappin will do the same. As for Foz not being good enough for a team pushing for promotion, that''s another argument, but in case you hadn''t noticed, that''s not exactly where we are right now!!Re Ipswich fans, i asked for people''s views on whether they think binners should be allowed on this site when some are coming on and winding people up. Some say no, some say no problem. What''s the big deal? No reason to slate those that say no.

to be fair to lappin - if you watch him warming up, he''s got terrific close control, can pass crisply and precisely and looks very comfortable on the ball.  he''s a good little footballer.   but - in the champs, at the pace its played, sure - he still looks neat and tidy, but often he looks lightweight against his opponents and rarely does he put in a dangerous cross.   when granty played the boy in the middle, he looked outa his depth for me.  i think matty patty excels in his preferred centre midfield role, but imo still does a better job than laps on the left wing.  the problem is - with lapps, murray, spillane, jarvis, brown, and dave striker in the team - we were losing and playing like relegation candidates.  this group of players did little to help their reputations by allowing ipswich teenagers thrash them the other night at carra rd either.  in conclusion, i''m sorry to say laps is best of this bad bunch, but remains in my eyes a squad player - and moreover, if we harbour top6 ambitons, he''s probably not good enough.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]if we harbour top6 ambitons, he''s probably not good enough.[/quote]

To be fair though, that''s not exactly what we''re worrying about right now. If we''re not careful it''ll be the top six of League One we''ll be aiming for next year - let''s not think that high just yet.

i like lappin and want him to stay... but where does everyone seem to get the idea hes amazing from free kicks? to my knowledge hes only actually scored one. when norwich are on tv the commentators are always blabbing on about lappin being a threat from free kicks. hes scored 1!