Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Doncaster Cancels Christmas

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What a drone!

I''m angry.

Does he reflect you leadership views, Andrew Turner?

After all, weren''t we told that you were supposed to be watching over him. 

Just as there''s a huge difference between ambition with prudence and prudence with ambition, there''s also a very significant difference between realistic optimism and depressing overcooked pessimism.

Glenn Roeder is hitting most of the right notes and it seems that Doncaster has been sent out to dampen the optimism and reduce expectations.

Quite frankly, I''m tired of little people like Doncaster.

Oh for a John Bond type to take the lead on the administrative side.

If we''re not careful Glenn will be gone at the first good opportunity to cross his path.

Is this really Andrew Turner speaking - or is the dead hand of little Norwich re-emerging?

How much more negative can you get? Talk about an inferiority complex - the administrators are giving our club one in spades. 

Help!

OTBC

[/quote]

Great post Bly, it just about sums up what I''m thinking too.

If Doomcaster''s card isn''t marked already by Mr & Mrs T, then it damn well should be now!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

I rather suspect he does in as much as this reads like a board statement.

Your board has said many times before that while we will continue to be as ambitious as we can to achieve your aim and ours of getting promoted to the Premiership and staying there, what we will not do is to risk the very future of the Club by speculating wildly.

We continue to seek investment in the Club and will continue to do everything we can to ensure that Norwich City is as well funded as possible. But in the meantime, we will continue to try and live within our means. We have no wish to join growing ranks of those clubs who have gone into administration. Whilst the prize for success is great, the cost of failure can be disastrous. We proved in 2004 that with the right combination of unity, a squad that gelled, some judicious spending and, where necessary, canny use of the loan system, anything is possible.

There is no reason why that cannot happen again and despite the warning notes sounded above, the Board and everyone at the Club remain totally committed to doing everything possible to support Glenn''s plans for the January window and beyond.

If he doesn''t then I would expect a denial to be forthcoming.

But to be honest I don''t really see what all the fuss is about. Would someone please tell me what''s wrong with this statement today. Not what''s wrong over the last 3 seasons before the board changes took place. And not what''s wrong at the end of January as if it''s possible to see into the future. What''s wrong with this statement today?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But to be honest I don''t really see what all the fuss is about. Would someone please tell me what''s wrong with this statement today. Not what''s wrong over the last 3 seasons before the board changes took place. And not what''s wrong at the end of January as if it''s possible to see into the future. What''s wrong with this statement today?

[/quote]

considering the good feeling and general good mood around the club why come out with doom mongering like this just before a difficult away game and at the same time as one of the influemtial loan signings is about to go back.

Also it pretty much tells us that the Turners are a waste of space on our Boardroom, having bought their way in with a two million loan for 2 places on the Board. Wow......

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

It''s called expectations management.  He''s setting the scene for negotiations up to and during January.  Did anyone expect Doncaster to say anything else ?

[/quote]

I''d rather he said nothing at all on the topic at this time of renewed hope.

[/quote]

Those were exactly my thoughts when I read Doomy''s "glad tidings" this morning, CJF. Just when we fans were beginning to feel a lot more positive about all things NCFC - even daring to dream we might be able to sign "Tiny" and perhaps a couple more players - along comes Mr Happy to bring everybody crashing back down to Earth again with a sickening thud. If the club is relegated this season we will know who to blame. And it won''t be Glenn.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

I rather suspect he does in as much as this reads like a board statement.

Your board has said many times before that while we will continue to be as ambitious as we can to achieve your aim and ours of getting promoted to the Premiership and staying there, what we will not do is to risk the very future of the Club by speculating wildly.

We continue to seek investment in the Club and will continue to do everything we can to ensure that Norwich City is as well funded as possible. But in the meantime, we will continue to try and live within our means. We have no wish to join growing ranks of those clubs who have gone into administration. Whilst the prize for success is great, the cost of failure can be disastrous. We proved in 2004 that with the right combination of unity, a squad that gelled, some judicious spending and, where necessary, canny use of the loan system, anything is possible.

There is no reason why that cannot happen again and despite the warning notes sounded above, the Board and everyone at the Club remain totally committed to doing everything possible to support Glenn''s plans for the January window and beyond.

If he doesn''t then I would expect a denial to be forthcoming.

[/quote]

Yes, Nutty, I''ll tell you what''s wrong. It''s the leadership style on the administrative side.

The psychology is all wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Just as on the football side (what other side is there really?) Glenn Roeder hits most of the right notes, glass half full, mostly confident, speaks as he finds it and knows it, talks from the heart, optimism with reality, communicates and exudes competence........ the administrators consistently manage to hit most of the wrong notes, glass half empty, little Norwich up against those premiersip nasties and crooks like Leeds, mostly tentative or apologetic or resentful, talk though their noses, prudence with precious little ambition (oh if we''re lucky we''ll match Worthy''s feats), annoy people most of the time, exude incompetence, and suffer from a huge inferiority complex.

Yes, Nutty - that''s what''s wrong.

As I said before - oh for a John Bond type on the administrative side to talk things up, act -yes, act, and get this club buzzing.

F*ck little Norwich. F*ck the inferiority complex.

They''ve lost Taylor. Watch them lose Glenn Roeder if they''re not very careful!

The psychology of the owners and administrators is all wrong, wrong, wrong. And this is what many of us in our different ways have been trying to press home these last many years.

That''s what''s wrong with Doncaster''s article and attitude. And if that is Andrew Turner''s attitude at the bottom line and when push comes to shove, the he''ll balance the books all the way down into the third division.

Diagnosis - leadership deficit. Little Norwich.

One love.

OTBC

Whats wrong with the statement today Nutty is that the mood in and around the club is one of renewed optimism, we at last appear to have a manager, and coaching team with the ability to get us playing good football and winning games. Aswell as having the contacts and the pulling power to get players here that wouldn''t have given us a thought over the past 2 or 3 seasons. I''m actually looking forward to going to games again.

So what does this PR disarster of a man do - he puts a huge dampener on everyones optimism. In our heart of hearts we knew, that without significant new investment this was likely to be case (we still hope theat the Turners will show their hand), but we didn''t need it rammed down our necks ! - Why did he have to say anything ?, why when the board must know they are still on a very thin ice with alot of supporters does he have to re-emphasise they aren''t going to change the way they have run the club over the past years (and look where that got us !). Investment in players means success on the pitch, that is blatently clear with our results over the past months. It is success on the pitch that each and every supporter yerns for. This board have got it wrong big time over the past 4 years, investing the majority on income we had in off field activities, whilst systematically investing less and less in the team - and where did that get us - the bottom of the championship and looking certainties for relegation. Yet what does Doncaster do in his article today ? he tries to justify their strategy, by once a again comparing us those clubs on the brink of administration. They let the club get into such a perilious position in the league they were forced into taking drastic action to remedy the situation and they must be congratulated for there appointment of Roeder and making the funds available for the loan players. What they must not be allowed to do is think that everything is going to be alright again a go back into their little hole called prudence, because we will be back in the same position again sooner rather than later.

If they don''t back Roeder in January and the summer, i can see him taking the same route as Martin O''Neill - and who would blame him.   

The man is a muppet

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

What you mean fluking 3 great loans, and then prudently only signing up one of them?

[/quote]Care to share what you''d have done differently? How about your insight on the efforts made to sign Lurch? Would you have signed Harper? Signing Hucks wasn''t good enough for you?

The Turners are really starting to make me wonder just what exactly they are here for? Most new investors would come on board a football club with a view to "invest" money, not give a £2m (interest free) loan and sit in the board room doing what a record player does these days - collect dust.

All we can do is hope that our fortunes suddenly pick up again and money does become available but going on that statement it sounds like its loan signings (at best) this january. Please say I''m wrong and its just the usual tripe a CE would say.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

considering the good feeling and general good mood around the club why come out with doom mongering like this just before a difficult away game and at the same time as one of the influemtial loan signings is about to go back.

Also it pretty much tells us that the Turners are a waste of space on our Boardroom, having bought their way in with a two million loan for 2 places on the Board. Wow......

[/quote]He was asked certain questions..... you would prefer he say No comment..... or lie?And you consider that the Turners, having put in £2m (we all know the loan is unlikely to be repaid, its a tax loophole to call it a loan) are a "waste of space". How much have you offered the club as a loan? Naff all? What does that make you then?Christ, with fans like you its amazing Portaloo is''nt full to the rafters every other week.......

Well I still fail to see what''s wrong with it, I don''t even see where it puts a damper on anything. Read it again and quote me the bits you are complaining about.

I''m sorry, but to me this is just another example of people who are lost with nothing to moan about. We have won 4/5 games so we get ridiculous threads whining about the academy, ticket prices and now this. Some of you lot must lurk in the background gagging for a whinge! [:''(][:P]

Well I still fail to see what''s wrong with it, I don''t even see where it puts a damper on anything. Read it again and quote me the bits you are complaining about.

I''m sorry, but to me this is just another example of people who are lost with nothing to moan about. We have won 4/5 games so we get ridiculous threads whining about the academy, ticket prices and now this. Some of you lot must lurk in the background gagging for a whinge! [:''(][:P]

[/quote]

You are certainly living up to your name and rreputation on this one Nutty.

And protecting the family jewels too, one suspects.

OTBC

[/quote]

Season ticket renewals are in January.  They''ll pull something or someone out of the bag.  I do enjoy the hysteria round here though.  Taylor never sounded like he wanted to stay from the word go; so thanks, bye, hope it works out for him.  Let''s see what happens with the loan players who want to stay here before we start howling at the moon.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

What you mean fluking 3 great loans, and then prudently only signing up one of them?

[/quote]

Care to share what you''d have done differently? How about your insight on the efforts made to sign Lurch? Would you have signed Harper? Signing Hucks wasn''t good enough for you?
[/quote]

Would I have signed Crouch and Harper - Yes if we could afford them.  Much of the reason we went down from the premiership (apart from Worthy being out of his depth) was we waited till half way through the season to sign a striker.

As for Hucks, as I remember it we almost didnt get him either.

Doomcasters comment "We continue to seek investment in the Club" , reminds me of Peter Grant''s comments with regard to loan players and signings[8o|].

All I can say is that,Like PG they appear to be "seeking" in the wrong place.....Now if only Dudley Doomcaster can follow the Teaman out of the door[:D],or is that TOO much of a Christmas wish?!?

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

He was asked certain questions..... you would prefer he say No comment..... or lie?

And you consider that the Turners, having put in £2m (we all know the loan is unlikely to be repaid, its a tax loophole to call it a loan) are a "waste of space". How much have you offered the club as a loan? Naff all? What does that make you then?

Christ, with fans like you its amazing Portaloo is''nt full to the rafters every other week.......
[/quote]

No he wasn''t asked any questions mate, he wrote HIS COLUMN, he chose the depressing content....  DUH!!!! dumb.....

I havent got a place on the Board.  In football terms these days a 2 million loan, which they can ask to be repaid, is small fry stuff.  A 1 million loan each for a seat in our boardroom, don''t make me laugh if that is the end of it!

We continue to seek investment in the Club and will continue to do everything we can to ensure that Norwich City is as well funded as possible. But in the meantime, we will continue to try and live within our means.

Says the man with a HOOOOOOOOOOGE SALARY...............For doing exactly what? Standing outside   ''Ye Olde Clubbe Shoppe'' answering fan''s concerns in an unemotional, plausible monotone dialect (whilst his mind and true thoughts meander Alan Partridge like) to the SugarBabes and Girl''s Aloud in concert, and dreaming of his hero the ''Spinmeister'' Alastair Campbell and his ability to speak with forked tongue and coming out smellin'' of Heacham Lavender. Replying to e-mails with his ''on a loop'' replies.[|-)] 

No tact in writing a negative piece, when positive waves with a slice of caution, would have been much more appropriate - at this moment in time.

Seek investment my hearse! He fears investment because it may affect his future here...allegedly.

Gordon Bennett! I wish he''d return........and send "Neil the Chucklin'' Chief" packin''![:@]

SMUGGY SMUG SMUG SMUG SMUGGY SMUGCASTER!.......[8-|]

PS. Has the Nutster and Blahahaha, asked Santa for a ''Donkster Dolly'' for Christmas? They''ll look really nice on their bookstands, festooned with Delia''s cookybooky''s alongside their autographed pickachewers of the NCFC board.......and their personal jars full of Rogernator and Mickey Wynn''s spent fagends......[:P]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You are certainly living up to your name and rreputation on this one Nutty.

And protecting the family jewels too, one suspects.

OTBC

[/quote]

And you yours Bly! Gagging for a whinge ''n all [:''(]

BTW, like all good cricketers I have a box to protect the family jewells. [G]

A post of sanity amongst the madness.

[/quote]

He was asked certain questions..... you would prefer he say No comment..... or lie?

And you consider that the Turners, having put in £2m (we all know the loan is unlikely to be repaid, its a tax loophole to call it a loan) are a "waste of space". How much have you offered the club as a loan? Naff all? What does that make you then?

Christ, with fans like you its amazing Portaloo is''nt full to the rafters every other week.......
[/quote]

Not sure what is so offensive about the article, seems sensible enough. As far as I am aware we have spent quite generously on players for some years now (considering our debt). I would have to admit we will have to ''push the boat out'' in the January sales, but I am not convinced that spend spend spend is the only answer. Also, despite the predicable taunts that we have fallen for ''the spin'', I am not convinced that we have overdone the ''non-football'' spending. Infra-structure is important, we do need a decent pitch, and the infill is necessary. The Catering is in profit. Bring on the youth and combine with the experience! Far from having an inferiority complex I think too many of our fans think we have some right to be in the top flight. We do not, nor do Forest, Leeds, Swindon, Cardiff, Huddersfield, or anyone else.  

[/quote]

Nutty, this place is certainly not short of melodramatics and people complaining for the hell of complaining. I too agree, that there is nothing wrong with his (Neil Doncasters) comments. The cynical call it prudence, and think that the board are ''raping'' our club. Personally i think they''re running the ship well, bar the odd error that is consistant with a.) what happens at all clubs from time to time and b.) what humans do in all walks of life. And the key thing for me is, and this won''t be answered till January 2008, is that if EVERY Championship club except us goes and spends £5million plus in the upcoming window then i''ll agree that the anti board brigade were right.....BUT IT WON''T HAPPEN! A few clubs with a bit of parachute money etc may spend this figure, but it''ll be extremely few and far between...mark my words. OTBC.

[/quote]

How about his example of Luton: "the prospect of looking over the precipice at League 2. And just last year they were competing for a place in the Premiership". Are we not similarly looking over the precipice at League 1, having followed the Norwich City model of spend it on property and not on the squad?

Yes, there are times to be prudent, but there are times when you have to invest. In the case of Taylor you have a player who has proven to be successful in our team. He has done the job fantasically well, the evidence is right there before everybodoy''s eyes. It''s undeniable.

So if City allow Taylor to be snapped up by our fellow-strugglers QPR because we don''t want to gamble on  a sure-fire winner, then that is not prudence, that is sheer stupidity.

What price Roeder packing his bags citing ''lack of ambition'' as Rioch did? What price League 1 football.?

Since Glenn''s arrival the turnaround in our club has been remarkable; the players, the coaches and the fans are giving their all for NCFC. If the board, who admit making mistakes in the past, do not step up to the plate then they will be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Unbelievably foolish!

YH

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

We continue to seek investment in the Club and will continue to do everything we can to ensure that Norwich City is as well funded as possible. But in the meantime, we will continue to try and live within our means.

Says the man with a HOOOOOOOOOOGE SALARY...............For doing exactly what? Standing outside   ''Ye Olde Clubbe Shoppe'' answering fan''s concerns in an unemotional, plausible monotone dialect (whilst his mind and true thoughts meander Alan Partridge like) to the SugarBabes and Girl''s Aloud in concert, and dreaming of his hero the ''Spinmeister'' Alastair Campbell and his ability to speak with forked tongue and coming out smellin'' of Heacham Lavender. Replying to e-mails with his ''on a loop'' replies.[|-)] 

No tact in writing a negative piece, when positive waves with a slice of caution, would have been much more appropriate - at this moment in time.

Seek investment my hearse! He fears investment because it may affect his future here...allegedly.

Gordon Bennett! I wish he''d return........and send "Neil the Chucklin'' Chief" packin''![:@]

PS. Has the Nutster and Blahahaha, asked Santa for a ''Donkster Dolly'' for Christmas? They''ll look really nice on their bookstands, festooned with Delia''s cookybooky''s alongside their autographed pickachewers of the NCFC board.......and their personal jars full of Rogernator and Mickey Wynn''s spent fagends......[:P]

[/quote] Just classic Mello. You seem to know him so well. You are not, in fact the great man himself....are you? It would shatter all my illusions of you to know that in fact.....Mr Doncaster was Mello Yello and had a sense of humour.

If any club has a war chest isnt that evidence of under-investment?

Damned if they do and damned if they dont [:D]

Remember we don''t have to worry any more, the millions will soon be rolling in from all that "off the pitch" investment..........wont it?????????????????

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="yellow hammer"]

How about his example of Luton: "the prospect of looking over the precipice at League 2. And just last year they were competing for a place in the Premiership". Are we not similarly looking over the precipice at League 1, having followed the Norwich City model of spend it on property and not on the squad?

Yes, there are times to be prudent, but there are times when you have to invest. In the case of Taylor you have a player who has proven to be successful in our team. He has done the job fantasically well, the evidence is right there before everybodoy''s eyes. It''s undeniable.

So if City allow Taylor to be snapped up by our fellow-strugglers QPR because we don''t want to gamble on  a sure-fire winner, then that is not prudence, that is sheer stupidity.

What price Roeder packing his bags citing ''lack of ambition'' as Rioch did? What price League 1 football.?

Since Glenn''s arrival the turnaround in our club has been remarkable; the players, the coaches and the fans are giving their all for NCFC. If the board, who admit making mistakes in the past, do not step up to the plate then they will be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Unbelievably foolish!

YH

[/quote]

TBH I still don''t see what''s wrong with what Doncaster has said. And the way he''s worded the article implicates the whole board so as the Turners or other board members haven''t spoken out against him we can only assume it''s the words of all of them.

However, the anger and resentment is still there with many of you but what can you do about it?

Roeder has this to say :-

Said Roeder: “Karren Brady says they''ve accepted an offer from QPR, but it''s a worthless offer because the player has said he doesn''t want to go to QPR.

“She wouldn''t negotiate on the price.

“As far as I''m aware, there is no club other than QPR involved. Martin wants to come here and is really disappointed that Birmingham wouldn''t negotiate.

“The deal wasn''t viable - there''s no question of that. Birmingham have been very difficult.”

Roeder praised Norwich''s directors for backing his efforts to land Taylor.

He said: “The board have bent over backwards to help me. A lot of managers won''t have any money to spend in January so the fact that we have some money is very encouraging.

“The deal was always going to be very expensive and we need more than one player in January.

“We need more quality in this squad. Matty Pattison''s done very well and we have to make a decision on him.”

Is he a liar?

YH

[/quote]

TBH I still don''t see what''s wrong with what Doncaster has said. And the way he''s worded the article implicates the whole board so as the Turners or other board members haven''t spoken out against him we can only assume it''s the words of all of them.

However, the anger and resentment is still there with many of you but what can you do about it?

Said Roeder: “Karren Brady says they''ve accepted an offer from QPR, but it''s a worthless offer because the player has said he doesn''t want to go to QPR.

“As far as I''m aware, there is no club other than QPR involved. Martin wants to come here and is really disappointed that Birmingham wouldn''t negotiate.

“The deal wasn''t viable - there''s no question of that. Birmingham have been very difficult.”

He said: “The board have bent over backwards to help me. A lot of managers won''t have any money to spend in January so the fact that we have some money is very encouraging.

“The deal was always going to be very expensive and we need more than one player in January.

“We need more quality in this squad. Matty Pattison''s done very well and we have to make a decision on him.”

Is he a liar?

[/quote]How big was the loan NCPLC took out for that road?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

YH

[/quote]

Is he a liar?

[/quote]

Nasty, nasty. Did anyone say he was.

Don''t try and shift the focus to Roeder. You should be ashamed.

He''s been let down big time and is putting on a brave face like the gentleman that he is.

Quite frankly, I am very disappointed in you and I think you should withdraw your comment.

OTBC

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote] Just classic Mello. You seem to know him so well. You are not, in fact the great man himself....are you? It would shatter all my illusions of you to know that in fact.....Mr Doncaster was Mello Yello and had a sense of humour.[/quote]

I''m not he......I just write what I see.....and hear.

[quote]PS. Has the Nutster and Blahahaha, asked Santa for a ''Donkster Dolly'' for Christmas? They''ll look really nice on their bookstands, festooned with Delia''s cookybooky''s alongside their autographed pickachewers of the NCFC board.......and their personal jars full of Rogernator and Mickey Wynn''s spent fagends......[/quote]

I ordered one, only the head arrived though.  It came with a note from the manufacturers - They said that they could have sent the complete dolly now, but instead they have sent me the head to wrap up and put under the tree, and they will probably send the torso in January, as they would have a better cash-flow after Xmas.   They also pointed out that the makers of the Peter Ridsdale "Spend like a lottery winner" dolly were about to go out of business, and that they were the second company who had tried to make this dolly only to find that it wasn''t economical, and then they wrote several paragraphs on how lucky I was to recieve a severed head.