Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Doncaster Cancels Christmas

Talk of a war chest is apparantly alien to a club like Norwich

Doncaster spoke...  "But below the promised land of the Premier League, talk of ''transfer war chests'' is a concept altogether alien to many of the cash-strapped Football League clubs up and down the country. "

Doncaster also doomongered... "Whilst the prize for success is great, the cost of failure can be disastrous. We proved in 2004 that with the right combination of unity, a squad that gelled, some judicious spending and, where necessary, canny use of the loan system, anything is possible. "

So yes Neil, with a hell of a lot of luck it is possible to go up when you arent doing anything else to make it happen.  Canny use of the loan system???  What you mean fluking 3 great loans, and then prudently only signing up one of them?

I get the impression the Turners may as well pee off, if a 2 million loan is all we are getting from them for a place on the Board.

Oh yeah, and Neil, I notice you do not mention Ipswich in your list of clubs anymore?  Why is that?

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/commentary/NeilDoncaster.aspx

I couldn''t have put it better myself CJF just when you think the club has turned the corner our Chief Executive has to come out with the doom and gloom. Still whittling on about Leeds now added Cardiff to his list but as you say has forgotten our neighbours. The way forward for this club is to change our CE and rid ourselves of this self righteous doom and gloom merchant that wants everything on the cheap.

Just read that too CFJ. I have to admit it''s pretty depressing and guaranteed to get fans backs up - i hope he''s not expecting any different. He shouldn''t because he''s got a history of pouring cold water on even the faintest of hopes. BUT, annoying as it is to admit, the general gist of what he''s saying is right. We do have to live within our means. Would your rather him or Ridsdale? You would have thought that he''d be a wizened and wise warrior of football administration after the dire debacle he whipped up at Leeds but he appears instead, incredibly, to have done it again at Cardiff. He''s a total fool who should have a restraining order put on him preventing him from going within 100 yards of any football boardroom in the country.

I''m sure most fans now fully understand the message that we must avoid going down the route that others have and that we need to manage our finances on a sound basis so why on earth does this bloke see the need to tell us time and time and time again. I feel better about NCFC than I have for at least two years (or at least I did until I read the EDP this morning) and then wham here comes Mr. Gloom and Doom again to smack us in the face. If ever a message was a clear indication that pennies will be spent in January rather than pounds that was it. Never believe he was a lawyer would you. What a negative and thoroughly miserable article in the season of goodwill to all men at a time when there could have been so much good news to talk about ignoring the old chestnut of where all the money has gone. Serves them right if GR makes a bit of a name for himself here by getting us up the table and then gets himself a job at a club with a modicum of ambition. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Its all going to kick off on here again, isn''t it?.[:(][/quote]

Go on then.. kick it off Wiz!

Go into one of your famous rants while only in possession of half the facts and then come back and change your mind again when Taylor comes back. Just treat it like a letter to Santa if it makes you feel better [E]

Dear Santa... for christmas this year I would like that wicked cook and her cohorts to go, and the Doc, and Doomcaster, and Donkerty, and I want Chase back and Doherty out. [:''(]Please don''t put these on your sleigh yet though because with over 10 days before christmas there''s plenty of time for me to change my mind a few times. Thanks, First Wizard.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Its all going to kick off on here again, isn''t it?.[:(][/quote]

Yes Wiz you are right, and as much as we do not want that to happen it will.  Never been happy with the Board nor the CE, and they just keep reaffirming why I have such a dislike. 

Merry bl**dy Xmas to you Mr Doomcaster, bah humbug [:P]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Go into one of your famous rants while only in possession of half the facts and then come back and change your mind again when Taylor comes back. Just treat it like a letter to Santa if it makes you feel better [E]

Dear Santa... for christmas this year I would like that wicked cook and her cohorts to go, and the Doc, and Doomcaster, and Donkerty, and I want Chase back and Doherty out. [:''(]Please don''t put these on your sleigh yet though because with over 10 days before christmas there''s plenty of time for me to change my mind a few times. Thanks, First Wizard.

[/quote]

Idiot!

More than anything it shows once again very bad PR skills in putting this out at a time when a real buzz has returned to the Club. I suspect its been coooked up with the clubs PR gurus to try and dampen expectations ahead of January but all it will do is get people''s backs up i suspect.

I very much hope we have not lost out on Taylor due to being "prudent."

[quote user="ridgeman"]I couldn''t have put it better myself CJF just when you think the club has turned the corner our Chief Executive has to come out with the doom and gloom. Still whittling on about Leeds now added Cardiff to his list but as you say has forgotten our neighbours. The way forward for this club is to change our CE and rid ourselves of this self righteous doom and gloom merchant that wants everything on the cheap.[/quote]

You can add Luton and possibly Coventry to that list as well. I don''t think any NC fans were expecting "multi-million" (ND''s words) pound transfers though.

If you go into administration are you forced to sell your ground and other assets to satisfy creditors?

I wish ND would change that damn smug photo of his though....

http://new.edp24.co.uk/Assets/img/icons/head_485_sport_doncaster.jpg

We do carefully select our quotes, don''t we?

Here''s the penultimate paragraph, in case nobody read this far:

"There is no reason why that cannot happen again and despite the warning notes sounded above, the Board and everyone at the Club remain totally committed to doing everything possible to support Glenn''s plans for the January window and beyond."

So let''s judge them at the end of January, shall we?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

We do carefully select our quotes, don''t we?

Here''s the penultimate paragraph, in case nobody read this far:

"There is no reason why that cannot happen again and despite the warning notes sounded above, the Board and everyone at the Club remain totally committed to doing everything possible to support Glenn''s plans for the January window and beyond."

So let''s judge them at the end of January, shall we?

[/quote]

Good point but could just be to take the heat off a little bit......taylor going back to birmingham is a big big blow!

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Idiot!

[/quote]

Thanks!

So what part of Doncasters article upset you then Wiz.. you are never happy unless you are taking part in an atmosphere of protest. And you call me an idiot!!!

It''s nearly Christmas and our team have four wins out of five. The transfer window is closed, the loan window is closed. Keep your powder dry til the end of January and then if it becomes obvious that Roeder has his hands tied by lack of ambition from the board you will get some support when you want to kick off. Until then wouldn''t it be better to let our so called ''suicidal liability'' of a manager carry on trying to get us climbing the league without the background of so called fans chucking their toys out of the pram [:''(]

And don''t come back at me quoting your years of undying support for the club I love because I''ll match it...

savvy!

Not really an idiot - sounds about right - and to prove it you opened another thread telling Doncater to sod off.  Oh how mature of you,

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Idiot!

[/quote]

I cant see anything wrong with his article.  He is managing expectations and is clearly aware of the expectations of the fans in January.  Would you rather he said - we can spend three million if we push the club to the brink in January.....?

Some of you people are really just out to moan about everything related to the club.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Doncaster spoke...  "But below the promised land of the Premier League, talk of ''transfer war chests'' is a concept altogether alien to many of the cash-strapped Football League clubs up and down the country. "

Doncaster also doomongered... "Whilst the prize for success is great, the cost of failure can be disastrous. We proved in 2004 that with the right combination of unity, a squad that gelled, some judicious spending and, where necessary, canny use of the loan system, anything is possible. "

So yes Neil, with a hell of a lot of luck it is possible to go up when you arent doing anything else to make it happen.  Canny use of the loan system???  What you mean fluking 3 great loans, and then prudently only signing up one of them?

I get the impression the Turners may as well pee off, if a 2 million loan is all we are getting from them for a place on the Board.

Oh yeah, and Neil, I notice you do not mention Ipswich in your list of clubs anymore?  Why is that?

[/quote]

It''s called expectations management.  He''s setting the scene for negotiations up to and during January.  Did anyone expect Doncaster to say anything else ?

Talk about counting your empty baskets before other peoples'' eggs hatch - I''m going to enjoy Xmas and worry about January when it comes.  I suggest you all do the same, rather than turning the keyboards of Norfolk into a hotbed of revolution for only the 45th time in 2 years.

Im sure others will post on this, but ive just read Doncaster in todays EDP. First reaction: thanks for reverting to type and shattering our recent hopes that the board have learnt exactly where over-prudence gets you.

However, it''s a well written and persuasive piece (as usual from Mr D, actuallly.) So yes, I found myself seeing sense in his points over the plight of clubs that overspent - Leeds, Luton, Coventry. You''re right Neil - any club is better than no club! And he is right, of course: ambition IS only possible with the funds in the bank.

However, he is at pains to liken us to these clubs and other recent "championship strugglers". He says how in 2004 we achieved success through a bit of luck and judicious spending and loans etc, and to me comes off implying that, "little old Norwich got lucky". Unfortunately, what he omits from his analysis is, well, a few minor details. For instance - the consistent size of our attendances and season tickets sales, consistent profits through player sales, the prem season revenues and then the parachute season revenues, and the amount clearly invested in infrastructure (yes Neil - we have clearly been "ambitious" enough to invest in infrastructure - if not the football team.)

We are not a championship minnow, Neil. We are historically a moderately succesful club from the top two divisons, with near enough the largest gates in this division and a recent season in the prem, followed by 2 full seasons of multi-million pound parachute payments. And yet... we have still made a profit on player sales.

We are not Coventry, Luton or Leeds, or Cardiff, or Blackpool, or Scunthorpe. Out recent history has a number of real successes and high points, and we continue to have real tangible assets that are the envy of our rivals. These have not been built on and that iyou crime. We should NOT be struggling.

So does "living within your means" include spending £3million on land, £4million on an unneccesary infill and millions more on a new pitch, ticket office etc? £3million worth of short-term debt (to pay for the land and infill) has to be repayed by the end of next year. I wonder if this may be having a bearing on our current transfer budget.......?[^o)]

Is it true that Doomcaster has agreed to take on the role of Ebenezer Scrooge in a play based on Dicken''s A Christmas Carol at his kids'' school? He was considered to be ideal for the part due to his cheerless, miserly nature.

This is basically what doomy and the board are doing.

"Sorry, but I cant come into work today."

"Err.. why?"

"Im really hungover."

"WHAT? So this is self inflicted? You went out last night?"

"Yes, but I feel ill now. I''m really, really ill now. I just cant come in."

"But what about last night?!"

"Oh god... please. Stop living in the past. Move on."

[:@]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Excellent post, CJF.

[/quote]

Just like to add that, strange as it may seem, money may not be the sole factor deciding a player''s choice of club. At the moment, for example, it looks very much as if Taylor wants to be at home at Chrissie. I''m not saying that geographical/family matters are paramount, but I''m sure they play a part.

Mind you, a club''s ambition must come into it as well, which is a bit of a catch 22; you may well have to pay over the odds to persuade the first few players in & it might, just might, be easier to persuade more. A potentially slippery slope though.

we dont have any money... this has been apparent for a while... Grant was promosied transfer funds, we were linked with Sharp, Iwelumo and Varney... we didnt spend the transfer funds wer were all told would be made available and instead ended up with Brellier, Strihavka and Murray

now its becomeing apparent from reading Doomcasters article that we will be relying solely on Loans...

will we sign matthew Pattison? doubtful, Newcastle are going to want 1 million for an up anc doming youngster, i also believe it will be around that price to get Taylor, Camara will probably be the best part of 500,000 thats 2.5 million. Money we never spent on the 3 summer targets i mentioned above because we simply couldnt afford too.

the club maintain we made a prfoit on Robert Earnsahw (Despite selling him for EXACTLY what we paid for him.. according to news paper reports) and Dixon Eboohoo yet the previous manager was not allowed all these funds, the current manager has been bought to the club under a promise of getting in money for players... he has bought in Clark and the Hartlepool chap.. both requiring compensation Payments (we wont know how much till next years annual accounts) and also had to have money to bring in the loan players.. again the true cost will be revealed in due Course.

this wil be the reason for not spending in January... remember Delias "expect a flurry of transfer activity" speach last season??? it never happened.

Roeder is the boards get out of jail card... if they dont back him and we go down then on their heads it will be..... they wont be able to scapegoat him like they did with Worthington and, to some extent, Grant.. as the fans are fully expecting them to scure our championship status this season... we have already missed out on the likes of cotterill, Varney, Howard, Primus in recent seasons due to the boards dithering... one more dither and the club is down.

over to you board of directors! and i agree with what CJF said about the Taylors... just what, exactly, are they brining to the football club?

jas :)

He`s just spinning the same old record and the people who desperately want to believe it will carry on believing it. He also neglects to mention that the clubs` turnover in the last two seasons has been double that of the promotion season, but then that wouldn`t suit his argument would it? As usual the man is incapable of comparing like with like. Pathetic.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

It''s called expectations management.  He''s setting the scene for negotiations up to and during January.  Did anyone expect Doncaster to say anything else ?

[/quote]

I''d rather he said nothing at all on the topic at this time of renewed hope.

What a drone!

I''m angry.

Does he reflect you leadership views, Andrew Turner?

After all, weren''t we told that you were supposed to be watching over him. 

Just as there''s a huge difference between ambition with prudence and prudence with ambition, there''s also a very significant difference between realistic optimism and depressing overcooked pessimism.

Glenn Roeder is hitting most of the right notes and it seems that Doncaster has been sent out to dampen the optimism and reduce expectations.

Quite frankly, I''m tired of little people like Doncaster.

Oh for a John Bond type to take the lead on the administrative side.

If we''re not careful Glenn will be gone at the first good opportunity to cross his path.

Is this really Andrew Turner speaking - or is the dead hand of little Norwich re-emerging?

How much more negative can you get? Talk about an inferiority complex - the administrators are giving our club one in spades. 

Help!

OTBC

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

we dont have any money... this has been apparent for a while... Grant was promosied transfer funds, we were linked with Sharp, Iwelumo and Varney... we didnt spend the transfer funds wer were all told would be made available and instead ended up with Brellier, Strihavka and Murray

now its becomeing apparent from reading Doomcasters article that we will be relying solely on Loans...

will we sign matthew Pattison? doubtful, Newcastle are going to want 1 million for an up anc doming youngster, i also believe it will be around that price to get Taylor, Camara will probably be the best part of 500,000 thats 2.5 million. Money we never spent on the 3 summer targets i mentioned above because we simply couldnt afford too.

the club maintain we made a prfoit on Robert Earnsahw (Despite selling him for EXACTLY what we paid for him.. according to news paper reports) and Dixon Eboohoo yet the previous manager was not allowed all these funds, the current manager has been bought to the club under a promise of getting in money for players... he has bought in Clark and the Hartlepool chap.. both requiring compensation Payments (we wont know how much till next years annual accounts) and also had to have money to bring in the loan players.. again the true cost will be revealed in due Course.

this wil be the reason for not spending in January... remember Delias "expect a flurry of transfer activity" speach last season??? it never happened.

Roeder is the boards get out of jail card... if they dont back him and we go down then on their heads it will be..... they wont be able to scapegoat him like they did with Worthington and, to some extent, Grant.. as the fans are fully expecting them to scure our championship status this season... we have already missed out on the likes of cotterill, Varney, Howard, Primus in recent seasons due to the boards dithering... one more dither and the club is down.

over to you board of directors! and i agree with what CJF said about the Taylors... just what, exactly, are they brining to the football club?

jas :)

[/quote]

Thats the impression i got from reading the article Jas. the usual over-relience on loan signings to cover the gaps caused by injuries to a shrinking and aging squad, Even with 5 loan players we are still short on cover.Can squad rebuilding really be postponed until the summer? If so next season,will we be prepared  to give everyone else a two month headstart whilst our team gels?