Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Doherty

Just looked at the highlights closely, and it was Doherty''s man (i''m pretty sure) that out muscled him to score. Letting someone have a comfortable header 4 yeards out is criminal!

I''m not sure who''s fault the set pieces were at Stoke, i''m just making a point that IMO Doherty isn''t a crucial player for us. He certainly divides opinion, and i''m on the neagtaive side i''m afraid. Apparentlt the stats show he''s been our most effective defender this season, they also showed that last season he was our worst!!!

These sort of stats don''t tell everything, you need to look more closely at performance. When ive seen Doherty he causes panic across the back, without him we look generally calmer and more at ease. Shackall hasnt had a good season to be fair, but he''s been best when with taylor, he needs a calming influence, it was the same last year he was at his best alongside dublin.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

Just looked at the highlights closely, and it was Doherty''s man (i''m pretty sure) that out muscled him to score. Letting someone have a comfortable header 4 yeards out is criminal!

I''m not sure who''s fault the set pieces were at Stoke, i''m just making a point that IMO Doherty isn''t a crucial player for us. He certainly divides opinion, and i''m on the neagtaive side i''m afraid. Apparentlt the stats show he''s been our most effective defender this season, they also showed that last season he was our worst!!!

These sort of stats don''t tell everything, you need to look more closely at performance. When ive seen Doherty he causes panic across the back, without him we look generally calmer and more at ease. Shackall hasnt had a good season to be fair, but he''s been best when with taylor, he needs a calming influence, it was the same last year he was at his best alongside dublin.

[/quote]

Please show me the stats from last season that show Doherty as the worst. I thought the stats last season and the previous season showed him as the best. In fact it is my opinion that he has been consistently our best defender since relegation.

To be honest Huddy, I feel sorry for the guy, the treatment he gets from some fans is nothing short of a disgrace. Now it seems posters are making up stuff to discredit him, but I''ll give you the benefit if you can produce those stats that made him the worst defender last season.

As I have said earlier this week - Dublin, Shackell and Murray have all spoken in support of Doherty, they play beside him and have reason to be grateful for his contribution in covering for them. Worthington, Grant and now Roeder recognise his worth and pick him to play in front of others at the club. And yet the "Boo Boys" know best![:^)] Well... I don''t think so!!![:#]

I agree Nutty doc is nowhere near as bad as some fans paint him . On Tuesday the guy had a good game and won just about everything in the air, but of course he could score a hatrick and the boo boys would still hate him.

[quote user="barclayendboy"]I agree Nutty doc is nowhere near as bad as some fans paint him . On Tuesday the guy had a good game and won just about everything in the air, but of course he could score a hatrick and the boo boys would still hate him.
[/quote]

What? He was at fault for the goal, which was a header that he failed to win, there is no excuse for being wrong side of your man 4 yards from goal - Doherty got out muscled in the air and it cost us a goal!!!!

He was abysmal when he came up for corners - we''d be lucky if Doherty ever scores a goal for us again!

Do we really need another post on this subject?! I think most people are agreed we have needed a new centre back in the Taylor mould for some time, that Doc has good games and bad games, just as Shackell does, that he''s clumsy but effective, and is often blamed for our defensive frailties. These are more to do with not having a true defensive leader and reader in the backline than to do with Doherty individually (although someone said he did a good job ''marshalling'' - ha ha - the troops against Plymouth). Also, i don''t think Shackell has proved himself any better yet, despite showing the potential to be.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

a goalkeeper gives his defenders confidence in knowing they can win a ball.. where was Marshall when the ball went in.. my dad sitis in the disabled stand and said Marshall should of taken that ball off the strikers head..

IMO he''s an awful goalkeeper... yet the doc still gets blamed regardless of how well he does week in week out..

find me a game where Marhsall hasnt dropped a howler, been cught out of position, or shown little idear of distribution this season? Hoof to cureton when a quick throw out to the flanks is on? keep it up Dave!

jas :)

[quote]When ive seen Doherty he causes panic across the back, without him we look generally calmer and more at ease.[/quote]

If that were true, then why did Dion Dublin, in an interview after his 3 match suspension, say that in his opinion the best performer so far this season is Gary Doherty ?  He''s had to play in central defence with him, and to be honest, I''d take his word over yours on "panic across the back" any day of the week.

I''ll agree that he''s an awkward looking player, but I''d bet that if you looked at the number of goals conceded with Doherty in the team and out, this season and last, that we concede fewer with him in.  And goals scored / conceded are the only statistic that really matters (arguably shots on target is also important, but that''s another conversation).

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]When ive seen Doherty he causes panic across the back, without him we look generally calmer and more at ease.[/quote]

If that were true, then why did Dion Dublin, in an interview after his 3 match suspension, say that in his opinion the best performer so far this season is Gary Doherty ?  He''s had to play in central defence with him, and to be honest, I''d take his word over yours on "panic across the back" any day of the week.

I''ll agree that he''s an awkward looking player, but I''d bet that if you looked at the number of goals conceded with Doherty in the team and out, this season and last, that we concede fewer with him in.  And goals scored / conceded are the only statistic that really matters (arguably shots on target is also important, but that''s another conversation).

[/quote]

Because at the time no one was playing well - just because he was best performer of bad group don''t make him good. Everyone has now improved and Doherty is still at the same dreadful level he was then (but at least he WAS at one time the best performer of a group playing to the standard of league 2 football)

I wouldn''t be surprised if they let Doherty go, purely because they need to free up the wage bill to get a new centre back in. Taylor wouldn''t be cheap and coming from Spurs, Doherty must be among the top wage earners.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

Because at the time no one was playing well - just because he was best performer of bad group don''t make him good. Everyone has now improved and Doherty is still at the same dreadful level he was then (but at least he WAS at one time the best performer of a group playing to the standard of league 2 football)

[/quote]

Give it up mate.

You are flogging a dead horse.

if u have enough time to trawl through this site you will find some stats to back what i said up. I''ve had a brief look but cannot find the post unfortunately.

There are other factors as ive previously stated, e.g. manager in charge, tactics, the team, opposition etc etc so we cant rely to heavily on them. We should judge ourselves.

I judge him to be a cause of panic, who inspires disconfidence and is always a risk. But that is my opinion.

As for what Dublin said, firstly no-one was performing at the start of the season, and when asked Dublin isn''t likely to individually criticize players in the press.

Gary Doherty is a central defender/striker/right back/midfielder and a nice bloke of average Championship standard footballing ability.......He is a squad player, (and most likely one of the larger wage earning employees at the club) but he will get my full and personal support, whilst here.

When he does eventually depart NCFC - can I be the one who puts on his reins - and the saddle on his back please? "HEE HAW!" and "Clippety Clop!".....Only joking.[:P]

[quote user="HUDDY "]

if u have enough time to trawl through this site you will find some stats to back what i said up. I''ve had a brief look but cannot find the post unfortunately.

There are other factors as ive previously stated, e.g. manager in charge, tactics, the team, opposition etc etc so we cant rely to heavily on them. We should judge ourselves.

I judge him to be a cause of panic, who inspires disconfidence and is always a risk. But that is my opinion.

As for what Dublin said, firstly no-one was performing at the start of the season, and when asked Dublin isn''t likely to individually criticize players in the press.

[/quote]

I would suggest that the reason you can''t find the post with these stats is because it isn''t there and you made it up.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

"Inspires disconfidence"

Luv it.

Classic stuff. A new one for the Oxford English Dictionary!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Gary Doherty is a central defender/striker/right back/midfielder and a nice bloke of average Championship standard footballing ability.......He is a squad player, (and most likely one of the larger wage earning employees at the club) but he will get my full and personal support, whilst here.

When he does eventually depart NCFC - can I be the one who puts on his reins - and the saddle on his back please? "HEE HAW!" and "Clippety Clop!".....Only joking.[:P]

[/quote]

''eee awww... ''eeee awwww.... ''eeeee awwwwwlways speaks so well of you mello [:P]

[quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]At Stoke it was Dublin''s fault for both goals, doesn''t get anywhere as much grief though does he?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

''eee awww... ''eeee awwww.... ''eeeee awwwwwlways speaks so well of you mello [:P]

[/quote]

Honestly, the ''hoof'' of today.......And I bet you ride side-saddle.....

Now, do you want your nosebag or what?[:|]

Imho both Doherty and Shackell are not good enough.  However for me, playing Doherty in defence is a monumental decision for a manager to make, it could be likened to the headmaster who has to make the decision whether to allow the teacher back into the classroom who has just recovered from a nervous breakdown.  Will it cause pandemonium?

I for one dont believe in getting on players backs. And certainly dont with doherty.  I do feel however, that he is someone that we should be looking to replace. I do not feel confident when he is in the team, agreed he doesnt look confortable on the ball.

My biggest problem with him is the way he marks his opponent, he frequently climbs all over people and gives away silly free kicks, often in dangerous positions. He looks very clumbsy. And im afraid in my opinion that he should not be a prominant feature in the Norwich team if we aim to become successful again.