Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

David Marshall - what's your view now?

When we signed Marshall, a few eyebrows were raised at the fee, until Roy Keane splashed out £9m on Craig Gordon, then we thought maybe we had a bargain! Now we''ve seen him in action for much of the season so far, what do we think? He''s certainly a good shot stopper, and we''ve seen a couple of penalty saves, but i''m wondering about his ability in the air, claiming corners and commanding the box. In this respect, he worryingly reminds me of his namesake Andy, who the press regularly mistake him for in their reports as well! It''s interesting to note that GR has said he wants to get a look at Joe Lewis. Since Gilks will be back in a month, i don''t think he would have bothered calling him back unless he had doubts about Marshall. I certainly can''t see us getting much of our original £1m investment back...

Good shot stopper but poor at claiming corners and commanding the box..

Reminds me of Greeno back at City in a way, until you said a couple of penalty saves..

[quote user="Canary Nut"]Or there may be some truth in that rumour about Wigan being interested in Marshall.[/quote]

If that''s true, could it be a potential swap or part ex? Fitz Hall?  I would still love to see a striker arrive who can get 1 in 2 but I doubt we can afford that unless a prem club swaps Marshall for a decent striker so unlikely in all probability.

When he was on loan last season I thought he was fairly unconvincing. And I did wonder how much Grant would have wanted him if he wasn''t from Celtic. Also think we maybe paid a bit over the odds for him, probably because Grant made it so obvious he wanted to sign him Celtic knew they would get a decent fee for him.

However, I think he''s been good enough for us this season. He makes mistakes but it''s not like we''re about to sign Petr Cech so for Norwich at the moment I think he''s a pretty good keeper. And some of his shot-stopping can be awesome.

My take is that Marshall is a very competent keeper, good at shot stopping but needs to have a solid pairing in front of him to give him confidence when he has to come off his line.  He is head and shoulders above anything we have had here since Robert Green.  He still has some developing to do, but I think he has a good future here and should see us through until Joe Lewis is ready to step up to the plate.

Ive been pretty impressed with him to be honest, he had a fairly big price tag but it seems about right, hes young and pretty talented. We have two other keepers at either end of the scale, he is no way near as good as Craig Gordan, mind you Sunderland payed 7odd times more for him!

If Wigan were interested then i wouldn''t mind swapping him for Ryan Taylor and Fitz Hall, as we would still have Gilks and Lewis. Gilks is a steady eady sort of keeper, not likely to come off with too many big match saves, where as i think Lewis looks like being a match winning keeper. Chances of us getting Taylor and Hall are slim, but that would pretty much shore up the defence i reckon.

Marshall is a quality keeper - having seen him play for Celtic a number of times. I think we were very lucky to actually sign him as if Boruc hadn''t been brought in as a panic buy due to David''s age I think he would have gone on to be Celtic''s No.1.

All I would say is that Gordon isn''t 9 times a better keeper than Marshall, and for once it''s ENGLISH keepers which are the joke where as once it was Scottish!

James, Robinson, Carson.........Green will be Englands No1

good keeper, wouldnt put him up there with gordon yet by long way, but you never know

top 5 keeper in our league i would say, but not the best

i was slightly dissopointed with him on occasions like keogh goal vs you guys, seen him the other week spill a bad one, and another time this season, good shot stopper maybe hasnt yet got the concentration to become a v.good keeper. but you got your moneys worth

[quote user="a1canary"]When we signed Marshall, a few eyebrows were raised at the fee, until Roy Keane splashed out £9m on Craig Gordon, then we thought maybe we had a bargain!

Now we''ve seen him in action for much of the season so far, what do we think? He''s certainly a good shot stopper, and we''ve seen a couple of penalty saves, but i''m wondering about his ability in the air, claiming corners and commanding the box. In this respect, he worryingly reminds me of his namesake Andy, who the press regularly mistake him for in their reports as well!

It''s interesting to note that GR has said he wants to get a look at Joe Lewis. Since Gilks will be back in a month, i don''t think he would have bothered calling him back unless he had doubts about Marshall.

[/quote]

agreed! Im not convinced he will be a long term feature in the team.. Roeder has said he wants a look at lewis and i have heard from a few people that he was about to give Gilks a game before the injury.. may or may not be true... dunno

i do agree that he is a flapper... his concentration levels arent great and it affects his game.. sooner or later these lapses are going to cost us, either with a calamity goal or a dropped cross or shot through the legs or something

also, Matthew Gilks has been a first team regular since the age of 17.. he has nearly 150 games under his belt... Marhsall has just over 60 and is older than Gilks... he was for the most part 3rd or 4th choice at Celtic.... its peaks volumes to me.

I want Gilks given a chance when fit... i still stand by what i said after the southampton game that Marshall will not finish the season as number 1.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

also, Matthew Gilks has been a first team regular since the age of 17.. he has nearly 150 games under his belt... Marhsall has just over 60 and is older than Gilks... he was for the most part 3rd or 4th choice at Celtic.... its peaks volumes to me.

[/quote]

Marshall is 22 and Gilks is 25 years old

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Canary Nut"]Or there may be some truth in that rumour about Wigan being interested in Marshall.[/quote]

If that''s true, could it be a potential swap or part ex? Fitz Hall?  I would still love to see a striker arrive who can get 1 in 2 but I doubt we can afford that unless a prem club swaps Marshall for a decent striker so unlikely in all probability.

[/quote]

The Marshall rumour existed before Fitz Hall came on the scene. Who says there is any part ex involved? Cash for Marshall means we could sign a striker from elsewhere.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Couldn''t disagree more Dave is a quality keeper and not far off the quality of Gordon in my view. [/quote]I couldnt ''agree'' more, David Marshall is without doubt the best keeper outside the Premiership, and in my opinion is better than Green. He''s made so many world class saves this season and has kept us in every game weve got points from. He''s made top drawer saves in pretty much every game, and the times weve actually won and kept clean sheets has largely been down to Marshall rather than the defence.For someone to suggest Marshall isnt our automatic first choice keeper is simply laughable. He''s easily been our best player this season.

Actually, it''s more laughable to suggest that anyone is automatic first

choice. In an ideal world, every player should know if they don''t

perform, there is someone else ready to take their place. And that''s

something that Roeder has instilled in every position with the

exception of the two full backs. Can anyone else in the team

honestly call themselves shoe-ins in their positions? You''re only as

good as your last game and although i do rate Marshall, he looks a

little error prone on occassions. In fact, he rarely goes a game

without making some kind of error (today included), but so far they

have been minor and he''s got away with them. I think he needs to have

someone pushing him, be that Gilks or young Joe, and i also think his

performances have improved since Roeder came in becuase he''s

made it clear everyone has to perform to keep their place.