Sign in to follow this  
O.T.B.C

Just a quick thankyou

I would like to say a big thank you to the train company that operates from Peterborough to Norwich, I loved the fact that you cancelled the service for me and I also love the fact that the idiot at the counter forgot to tell me, even when asked, that there was a service to Cambridge and I could have got a connecting service to Norwich, plus a thankyou for your arrogant responses to when I asked if there was any alternative. So thanks to you I missed the game, I wasted one hours travel to Posh and back again and I am going to miss a big big game.

As you can gather, I am very pissed off with them. We better win today, or I will kill people....

I looked at going today - then realised the train fare from my girlfriend''s in Kettering was 20more than i pay from Birmingham which is further away. 50quid seems a bit steep considering the distance involved and i just couldnt justify it this close to xmas.

Condolences on missing the game, it is a sad legacy of Thatcher privatising the industry that it is cheaper to fly to Spain than it is to travel 60 or 70miles by train.

I know what you mean about getting a train from kettering to norwich - very steep plus you have to change trains 4 times. my mate who lives in luton gets a train in to london and then direct to norwich i think that only cost £50 return for two tickets a bit more acceptable.

i looked at one from northants going thru london but was still expensive and very longwinded - wouldve had to get tube across london and it wouldve taken 4 and a bit hours. it takes me 3 and a bit from bham.

You should put in a letter of complaint, at the very least you should get an apology if not some compensation ! Let us know how you get on, or if you need any help.

Thank god we won, I am still miffed that I missed it, but at least I was warm, boy, I have not been that nrevous for a while, since, at least Plymouth.

Can you really Mr C? if this is true then that would save me at least 30quid per game from my girlfrends - il check it out later, thanks for the tip!!

Central Trains... even worse on a Sunday. It''s optional for their staff to work on Sunday apparently, so they rely on voluntary offers to fill their rota. I had a friend who''d travel Nottingham to Lincoln most weeks and it was routine for at least two trains to be cancelled before he finally got one. It''s like they see weekend schedules as an awkward hassle raher than a legally-binding pre-cursor of their contract to operate trains in the first place.You can get your money back... but only if you had a seat booked on a specific train that was cancelled. Otherwise try the small claims courts :-)Alternatively, if you have a 30-day return ticket and the outgoing wasn''t stamped, you can return your tickets within that period and get a full refund minus £5.

Its not the price that does me at all, its not even the fact that I took a wrong choice and decided to go to Posh not Camb or een Liverpool street, its the fact its the response I got of the muppet at the counter, there are 1000''s of ways and times to get to Norwich but, that day I took the wrong choice. Hey ho, we live and learn and we won, so I''m a lot calmer and happy now.

I too had the misfortune to travel down from Lincoln yesterday via Peterborough only to be told the Norwich train was cancelled because of crew shortage and also told there was no alternative route. However the next available train the 1337 did run and with the help of a speedy taxi I arrived at my seat albeit missing the first 15 minutes and the goal although I did hear the cheers from the station. I did notice that there were several other fans on the same train all equally unimpressed with the service and advice given. I shall never complain  again about my usual journey from Felixstowe.

But the biggest reward was the result so I went home happy after all and have now seen the goal on TV.

[quote user="Vern "]

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED09%20Dec%202007%2010%3A11%3A36%3A903

Without meaning to cause a stir I do wonder if this has anything to do with it.

[/quote]

As far as I was aware it was not the cause, I got told that a train had broken down, they mentioned about staff but that was not the cause, if it had been the deaths, then I imagine they would say, horrible as it may sound, that would be better for the train company to say that instead of having dodgy trains.

[quote user="biggleyellow"]

I would like to say a big thank you to the train company that operates from Peterborough to Norwich, I loved the fact that you cancelled the service for me and I also love the fact that the idiot at the counter forgot to tell me, even when asked, that there was a service to Cambridge and I could have got a connecting service to Norwich, plus a thankyou for your arrogant responses to when I asked if there was any alternative. So thanks to you I missed the game, I wasted one hours travel to Posh and back again and I am going to miss a big big game.

As you can gather, I am very pissed off with them. We better win today, or I will kill people....

[/quote]

1. Re Peterborough station - may I suggest you email Network Rail and ask them if they have responsibility for the station or if its not them which Train Operating Company. Then you will know who to complain to.

2. The Liverpool - Norwich trains via Peterborough and Ely - Central Trains no longer runs this franchise, its East Midlands Trains (part of Stagecoach Group Plc.).

http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/emtrains/default.htm

However they may suffer the same problems as Central Trains re. weekend staffing etc.

3. There are also trains that are run by One (I think they have changed their name to National Express One) on the Cambridge - Norwich line stopping at Ely.

4. There are also trains that run Birmingham - Peterborough - Ely (I think it stops there) - Cambridge - Stansted Airport.

5. I also believe there are trains than go between Peterborough and Ipswich. So you could then change at Ipswich for Norwich.

Re Central Trains cancelling a service. I had a similar problem at Norwich station, the Central Train was late getting into Ely so they stopped it and turned it around there and thus cancelled the service leaving Norwich later. Nobody told the people on the Norwich platform waiting for the Central Train that they could take a train to Cambridge (leaving minutes before the Central Train that was cancelled) and change at Ely or Cambridge for a train via Peterborough. It was only after the One train to Cambridge left that they told us the Central Train was cancelled!!!