Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Can we make the playoffs???

12 points away from 6th place........... 25 games to go.............. 12 points out of last 15............ Can we make the play offs?

If this 4 wins out of 5 pattern keep going, we will end up with 81 points, what would that have got us last season???

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

12 points away from 6th place........... 25 games to go.............. 12 points out of last 15............ Can we make the play offs?

If this 4 wins out of 5 pattern keep going, we will end up with 81 points, what would that have got us last season???

[/quote]

Lets just be happy that we are pulling out of trouble.

Anything else would be a tremendous bonus.

Even Watford so far have not quite acheived the 2 points per game total we would need to make the play-offs....that is the reality and we are now fighting to consolodate, however, if we need 50 points to stay up then form so far plus 4 extra points HAS to be acheivable. Rest assured, we are NOT going down. I hope the Board back Glenn so he can now begin to build for seasons after this.

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

81 points!!! What planet are you on Tom? It sure ain''t anywhere called ''reality''.

Take today - cracking first half performance, best football I''ve seen us play this season but then that isn''t exactly saying much is it! Second half - we stopped doing the basics, everybody bar none (even the great God Dion) repeatedly gave the ball away and we were damn lucky to escape with all 3 points after that second half onslaught. I will gladly settle for fourth from bottom now and move up from there if we can.   

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="Tom NCFC"]

[/quote]

81 points!!! What planet are you on Tom? It sure ain''t anywhere called ''reality''.

Take today - cracking first half performance, best football I''ve seen us play this season but then that isn''t exactly saying much is it! Second half - we stopped doing the basics, everybody bar none (even the great God Dion) repeatedly gave the ball away and we were damn lucky to escape with all 3 points after that second half onslaught. I will gladly settle for fourth from bottom now and move up from there if we can.   

[/quote]

I agree YR we were bl**dy lucky today...really good first half and should have had at least 2 by half time...it gave me flash backs of Stoke last week and would have been so relieved if Hucks shot had gone in towards the end. The truth is that the distribution was not good second half, Hucks was rarely used after Crofty came on and we gave them too much possession and sat off them too much. We still need that level of confidence that enables us to keep our composure right up to the 90+ minute mark.

It was just a simple question of ''can we make the playoffs''. I''m not saying we''ve won 4 out of 5, WE WILL GET IN THE PLAYOFFS, I was just wondering what the general opionon was to ''is the team capable off making the playoffs''!

Some of you need to relax, I go and ask a simple question and some other posters wants my balls on a plate!

I thought the second half (with the lack of Russell) showed the value of Russell in central midfield breaking up opponents play.

Since Roeder got his four loan players in, its 12pts from a possible 15. That''s 2.4pts a game, good enough for automatic promotion IF a team could perform like that for a full season. Lets see how the season goes from here. Staying up is the first target.

Survival is the priority........let''s see what happens with Taylor and Matty Patty - not sure about Jimmy.....and if the board will dig deep in January.

It would be criminal of the Directors and the Chief Exec, to assume that in the January transfer period, that we are supposedly secure for another season in the Championship - that we make do with what we''ve got.

WE need to build and strengthen then, not during the close-season. It will allow us to ''gel'' the squad in preparation for the 2008/9 season and see how the newbies perform. Then in the summer ''recess'' release ''the not quite up to its''.......

Personally, I think it''s crucial that we get our bids in first for talent in January. Replacement for ''Huckleberry Finn-ished'' should be on the agenda. Dion will hang up his boots, Cheddar Evans will return to the Blue Mancs - and other areas in the team need additions for competition and cover for injury. Glenn can be trusted with the cash - as witnessed by the astute loans that he brought in.

I want a squad that will fight for the cause, not amble their merry way through a long season and raise their game when their contracts are fast approaching.

It''s down to the board to prove that they mean business......because on current showing, Glenn, Lee and Co deserve the finance to strengthen.

Don''t forget.......soon be season ticket renewal time! 

The Guardian had the line "The canarie''s title winning form...." That''s the everest of optimism isn''t it?!?!

This season i''m happy with 21st - would be delighted with a mid-table.

Next season however, I expect a top 6 finish and i think Roeder has already proven he is capable of leading us there if the cash is splashed.

So far he has not been able to sign players he really wants. He has only signed players he needed to plug the holes in the team Grant left.

In Jan when he is able to start making the team his own we should see a little more quality added when Roeder can sign as a luxury rather than a neccessity.

With the team playing the way they are and Roeder given the opportunity to make some additions, we could well be in for an exciting couple of years, as long as the board are right behind GR like the fans are!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Survival is the priority........let''s see what happens with Taylor and Matty Patty - not sure about Jimmy.....and if the board will dig deep in January.

It would be criminal of the Directors and the Chief Exec, to assume that in the January transfer period, that we are supposedly secure for another season in the Championship - that we make do with what we''ve got.

WE need to build and strengthen then, not during the close-season. It will allow us to ''gel'' the squad in preparation for the 2008/9 season and see how the newbies perform. Then in the summer ''recess'' release ''the not quite up to its''.......

Personally, I think it''s crucial that we get our bids in first for talent in January. Replacement for ''Huckleberry Finn-ished'' should be on the agenda. Dion will hang up his boots, Cheddar Evans will return to the Blue Mancs - and other areas in the team need additions for competition and cover for injury. Glenn can be trusted with the cash - as witnessed by the astute loans that he brought in.

I want a squad that will fight for the cause, not amble their merry way through a long season and raise their game when their contracts are fast approaching.

It''s down to the board to prove that they mean business......because on current showing, Glenn, Lee and Co deserve the finance to strengthen.

[/quote]sure thing mello - i hope our exit from the bottom 3, coupled with the still born protest, hasn''t encouraged the city board to revert to ''business as usual'' - as they quietly fail to stump up the necessary dosh to keep taylor and the other performing loanees - i''d hate to see a return of the usual hand-wringing accompanied by citations of ''black hole in accounts b/s'' and ''players wifes hate naaarrfolk island'' bilge as excuses to stifle glens progress and city''s ambitions.unfortunately, the real world in foot terms is a fantasy world where sound business economic rules don''t apply (much like the current buy to let market) so unless they''re a super rich benefactor prepared to gamble and lose some of their personal fortune each year - club owners should give up and go home in these conditions.this season - even an idiot should see that being an averagely funded champs clubs leaves you dicing with relegation -  in my book either they get brave and splash the cash or retire from the field of battle.

PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahha don''t make me laugh lol

should be happy with 21st and still not out of trouble if we dont pick up deasent points away at colchester and scunthorpe then we are back in the **** again with charlton and wolves the next two home games

so to answer your question, can we make the playoffs?

in a word, HELL NO (oh sorry that two words)

Yes we can make the playoff!!

BUT

We are gonna need a lot of luck!!  We have got 2 crucial away games to Colchester and Scumthorpe which are both very winnable games espiecally when you consider they are both in the bottom 3 of the form table and bottom 5 of the actual table.  If we win those and keep the confidence going I think we could win against Charlton and Wolves because we will be playing at home.

If and it is a BIG IF we win all 4 of those games it will take us right up the table very quickly and then who knows??  Its been done before by Sunderland last year and Palace a few years before.  I''m trying not to get over exciteded because when all is said and done I will be happy just to finish outside the relegation zone but I can''t help but dream.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Well Said Mellow, I expect the Idiot Board to now be assuming Safety is now a certainty.  Lets see how much cash they put up for Roeder to spend in January.

[quote user="SI"]http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10355~20031206,00.html 

If you look ar the 2003/ 2004 table, you will find that Palace was exactly in the same position as we are now. So possibly yes, as it has been done before. Realistically, it depends on who we get in January.
[/quote]

Scary........maybe....just maybe.......

[quote user="ricky knight"]No.[/quote]You have to admire ricky. Always straight and to the point......

And always wrong !!

Of course we can make the play-offs ricky. We won''t but we could, and what''s wrong with wishing hey ?

Let''s just worry about getting to mid table obscurity for now.  I am delighted with the improved form of late and the new attitude that Roeder seems to have installed, but lets not get carried away.  There are still significant weaknesses in our squad that are currently papered over with loans - much of what happens next will depend on how many of them we can retain or sign permanantly in January when the Board needs to show the colour of their money.  If we are back to the squad we had before the loans then I can see us struggling again very soon.

We need to make some further improvements over the second half of this season, and maybe then we might go into the next one with a fighting chance of achieving something.  For now though, we need to concentrate on our next two crucial (and on current form winnable) trips.  Talk of playoffs is just daft at this stage - safety is what we need to achieve first and foremost, anything beyond that will be a bonus.

This board seems full of people either predicting doom or wildly exaggerated success - a bit of reality would not go amiss for once [:)]

ok lappinitup tell me where i have been wrong, stop shouting off, back it up. As for playoffs, i am a realist, i would buzz like the next fan if we could but come on we still have a mile to go to reach the safety target, i will be happy when we do that, playoffs my arris. You go on to say we wont make the playoffs so where do we differ, of course we all want to but reality check.