Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Ricky Hatton and Mayweather....

I just though i would say seeing as no-one else has mentioned it today, that it was a magnificent fight, with both competitors giving 100%.

There were some dodgy refereeing decisions and a big psychological one, was the point Hatton had deducted for punching the rope with Mayweather leaning out the ring.

The ref was far too quick to jump on Hatton for in-fighting and with a much shorter reach that disadvantaged Hatton immediately.

That said, I dont think it changed the result. Hatton didn''t seemed focussed and let his heart rule his head, this played right into FM''s hands. He seemed to be fighting with emotions and this was demonstrated in his almost 100% attack on the head, and not his customary body shots.

Mayweather, whether you like him or hate him, fought intelligently last night, and whilst his style maybe somewhat unorthodox, you cannot deny he really proved his worth last night as the greatest fighter of his generation.

He was also unexpectedly gracious in winning, and said Hatton was a champion despite his defeat and was very complimentary towards RH.

Overall I think it was a great advert for boxing and Ricky Hatton certainly gained some respect from myself. He may have lost but he really showed what he is all about, and he has risen in my estimation, he showed heart passion and desire, He was gracious in defeat and he really cared deeply, and you could see that.

There was also no trashtalking last night with both fighters giving each other total respect and i don''t think you could fault anyone in that ring on the night. except of course the referee.

Mayweather showed why he''s so highly rated. He took the early onslaught by Ricky Hatton and kept picking off the Mancunian. Unfortunately, there was a chasm in class. Ricky never took a step backwards and tried to work on the inside but kept on getting caught by blows from Mayweather''s elbows and forearms. Mayweather was so quick and he landed all the key punches. Ricky caught him with one flurry but that was about it. Pity he had to be knocked out as a defeat on points would have been more worthy for a great champion, but his limitations were fully exposed and he may as well as retire as he''s beaten the best in his real weight division.Mayweather was very gracious in victory after all this trash-talking and is an all-time great boxer.

The Hatton fans were amazing, but I was really annoyed that they booed the USA national anthem.  Why have "England" fans decided it is okay to show such disrespect to other nations/sportsmen?  It''s pathetic, and almost as bad as booing your own players.

Mayweather was class, he showed he can fight on the inside and kept tying Hatton up so he couldn''t get those body shots away.  No question Hatton was outclassed, but he showed the heart of a champion in defeat and I hope he returns to light welterweight where he is unbeatable.

On a side note, I put £5 on Graham Earl to win last night... worst bet ever?  I was still talking up how he was going to beat Amir Khan when he got knocked down...

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

This shows the knockout if anyone missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKXpOMa1kR8

[/quote]

no it doesnt! its been removed for an infringment of copyright according to the link... i actually have a feeling that youtube isnt going to be around in 2 or 3 years time.. it is a lawsuit waiting to happen with regards to copyright etc...

jas :)

I agree the ref didn''t do Hatton any favors, but the result was sound.  Mayweather deserved the fight, and I only had him losing 3 rounds. The press here did make a big deal about the brits booing the national anthem.  Unfortunately, while it might have only been a few hundred of the 6,000 in attendance, they were really loud and the press grouped the whole contingent as "yobs."  There''s a really good write-up on a sports blog over here, and while they cover all sports, there is a definate boxing preference.  Check out  http://www.nomas-nyc.com/scorecard.html 

I arrived back from Vegas yesterday having been there all week. Had the holiday booked since Feb so was gutted when fight was announced for the day I was leaving as I was unable to change flights.

I called and booked the pay-per-view and managed to get all the way home without knowing the result. You gotta hand it to Mayweather. Love him or hate him he is one of the all time greats and adds the charisma that the sport needs right now. He controlled Hatton throughout the fight and was never really in any danger. Would love to see a rematch but I think De La Hoya wants a piece of Ricky next which would also be a slobberknocker.

I also would like to agree that while the Hatton fans were great in there support. The booing of the National Anthem was disgusting and something which does not go down at all well out there. I was at an Ice Hockey game to see the NY Islanders take on the Ottowa Senators. Obviously with the distance involved there were no Senators fans there but the Canadian National Anthem was superbly observed and met with a round of applause at the end. Thats exactly the way things should be in my view.

Hate to say it but Hatton was outclassed, Maweather, despite his arogance and cockyness is a truly great boxer, throughully deserved to be pound for pound best in the world.

I''m so utterly depressed that English people find it acceptable to boo other countries'' national anthems.

Are the English becoming "the new Millwall"? Noone likes us but we don''t care?

America got to see the worst of the English mentality up close on Saturday, and I don''t think they liked it. How embarrassing.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]I agree the ref didn''t do Hatton any favors, but the result was sound.[/quote]I disagree. I listened on the radio live and their commentary didn''t fully convey the fight...it was only when I went to youtube the morning after that I realised the full extent of the travesty that unfolded.Hatton never stood a chance, because that referee seemed unable to accept that boxing at close quarters is still boxing. Every time, and I mean every time Hatton got in close to Mayweather the ref intervened. Now I could understand it if they''d been tied together for 5, even 3 seconds without punches being thrown...but it was instantaneous!  Don''t get me wrong, Hatton was in for the fight of his life to retain his title even if the ref had have allowed him to utilise his strengths, as any ref worthy of the title would have done, but the fact is he didn''t, so we''ll never know. He robbed everyone, including Mayweather of a proper fight.

OK, you''re entitled to your opinion, but I''ve watched the fight 3x (I taped it) and all Hatton did was storm in with not a care in the world, while Mayweather put on a clinic using the Mamba defense, sapping Hatton'' strength slowly as the fight wore on.  It was a gradual slaughter, and were you to remove the ref from the ring alltogether, and let them fight it out with no interference, Hatton still would have lost.  Mayweather proved that he''s the best fighter in the world right now, and Hatton proved he''s got the heart of an Ox, or maybe 10 oxen.  But the I''ve heard the analogy works best in tennis-- that even if you have the will of 50 men, and the determination of a nation behind you, if you have a so-so serve and a weak backhand, you''ll never beat Roger Federer.  Hatton is a tough guy, and has a heart that rivals Arturo Gatti''s (thats big) but he does not have the raw skill in the sport of boxing you need ot beat the world''s best fighter.  I believe that Hatton will never beat Mayweather, though under different conditions, it wouldn''t always be a knockout.

I know this is a footie board, and I feel kinda bad posting about boxing, so I''ll let this be my last post on the fight.