Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Big crowds at Norwich

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

and Carrow Road is a much more appealing place these days with the Riverside complex offering pre match drinking and dining, a generally modern ground with space, its well maintained, looks good and about a decade ago the staff realised they were in the customer entertainment business and long gone are the days where the only snack available was froma  grumpy pensioner with a tray hung round his shoulders. Its only 10-15 mins walk from the city centre  and also the train station so is well connected into the vibrant heart of the city.

Plus of course there is nothing else to do apart from excellent shopping, great pubs, two cathedrals, a castle, several museums, an arts centre, two theatres, rivercruises, numerous other historic monuments, cinemas, golf courses and a sports village.

[/quote]

Geez Tumbleweed, you make it sound so interesting I think I might come for a visit.

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="inch_high"]

I have lived in both London and Manchester(born and bred in Norfolk)and believe me Norwich is no different to either of them on Saturday afternoon. If you like shopping with the wife(big girlie) then there is no difference between all three or so she assures me.

The city is no longer a backwater, infact I am assured by my ever shopping wife,sisters,mum that it is a great place. My sister who has lived in London most of her life(it''s a Thetford thing) travels here on a regular basis as apposed to her native London to shop. Luckily(just not this season) just off the city centre is this little fooball club known as Norwich City FC. 

[/quote]

oh yes i did hear mourinho say the other day he wanted to come back to do xmas shopping, it was a hard choice but he choose london over norwich.

i never been shopping in norwich so all i know it could be the best shopping ever, but believe me there is a difference between london and anywhere else in the country

[/quote]

Right so you have never been to norwich, and for all you know it could be the best shopping ever. but its not as good as London. logically that does not make sense. If you have never it could be as good as London for all you know so you should stop making stupid comments when you have no evidence to back them up whatsoever. That said, it''s not as good as London for choice of shops. :)

Of course in Norwich you don''t have to walk a million miles to get to a specific shop. so it probably is best for shopping if you know what you are looking for and where to get it. or if you want to be quick in the shops and not spend hours there. or if you don''t like walking. if you are window shopping London is clearly better.

And i certainly did hear Mourinho saying " Take me to that black country shanty town, you know the one with the arrogant, abusive fans who think they have a god-given right to compete with the big teams but have neither the team, nor the fanbase to support it, so have to settle for living in the Albion''s shadow and re-living their glory years from before most of them were born." It was a hard choice but he decided never to mix with such people and chose London.

Well, I''m a carrot cruncher but spent 9 years living away. Try this: Stevenage, Loughborogh, Derby, Coventry. All absolutely awful. What on Earth do people who live there have to do that we don''t here? Nothing is my answer. The same has to go to places like Leeds, Sheffield, Exeter, Bristol, Swindon.  They''re not all 24-7 metropolises with neon lights at every street corner.

[quote user="pete_norw"]I think we will see a difference when we play Bury, Iknow its a cup match but its not an important match and we will may well see about 14.000 if we are lucky, but I will be one of them[/quote]

sorry pete but if there is only 14,000 for 3rd round cup tie then i''ll be bloody surprised!!!!!!!

[quote user="T07"][quote user="The Bishop"] and she responded without malice or spite "well, there''s nothing else to do in Norfolk, is there ?!"  [/quote]

She''s never been tyo Wigan then.... or Swindon.....or Rochdale....or.....
[/quote]

Let''s be clear about this. She didn''t say that Wigan, Swindon or Rochdale were more intersting places, did she ?!

Quite alot of people like me travel to Norwich from london for games. My only quibble about crowds is we do not accurately record actual gates. As far as I am aware all season ticket holders are counted even if they do not turn up, this gives an inflated picture of the crowd. Our crowds are good, our support strong, but it was obvious that the Sheffield crowd was more like 22,000, not the 24,000 recorded (as quite a few empty seats were there to be seen).

I can assure you there is far less to do on a Saturday afternoon here in Lincoln than there is in Norwich, yet the crowds at their matches are nowhere near ours. That said, I reckon the gates would be higher if they were in The Championship rather than League Two!!

I think a lot of our level of support is down to the Club''s marketing strategy, as mentioned by an earlier poster. Back in the mid nineties I remember attendances were, generally, well below the 16,000 that one club representative indicated at the time was needed for NCFC to break even. They gradually introduced a number of initiatives (loss-leaders like kids for £1) to encourage people, especially the new generation, to try watching football. Now those kids of 1996/97/98 are young adults addicted to the game and in love with their local club. Similarly, although some object to the family-friendly image brought to NCFC in recent years, this does perhaps encourage more people to attend (at the expense of a less intimidating atmosphere).

Or maybe it''s just for the pies...