Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Big crowds at Norwich

As I sat reading the paper, sipping my coffee, I murmured more to myself than to my partner " another big crowd at Carrow Road I see" and she responded without malice or spite "well, there''s nothing else to do in Norfolk, is there ?!" My first reaction was one of indignation but then after a moment''s reflection I thought ''many a true word said in gest'' and wondered if perhaps she had hit upon some hurtful truth. What do you lot think ? Why do we have have such a large number of season ticket holders, 20K plus, why do we turn up week in week out, year after year despite the truly dreadful performances by the team, by the Board and by the owners over the last few years ? Granted, things appear to be on the up and I am as excited as everyone but why such big crowds pre-Roeder ? 

im guessing every one was expecting playoff push at least this year, also quite few big teams dropped down which creating better matches

many people prob purchased their ST before likes earnshaw, etuhu and safri were sold

but norwich have a great support regardless, and have been a credit to your club given you current position, great support lads n hope the majority off you dont perform silly protest, walks or what ever you come up with next

keep up the good support

Well BISHOP, I also think it''s impressive that they get the same crowd for a KNIGHT game. With respect to boring Norfolk, let''s not forget it''s also good enough for the QUEEN to visit her CASTLE. Let your wife know that, if things are kind of slow, we PAWNS have this wonderful forum and Canary Call. For those that live close enough to the ground the temptation of being a season ticket holder just requires a CHECK MATE.

What, and she thinks Wigan''s a pulsating cultural centre does she? Norfolk is neither better nor worse than most parts of the country in terms of things to do. Norwich now has at least a dozen cinema screens, two theatres, the arts centre, Waterfront and UEA, plenty of  restaurants, bars and pubs. Tell your missus she should, literally, get out more!

And maybe we just like our football?

[quote user="Blainsey"]well i can think of bu**er all else to do on a saturday in Norwich!![/quote]

get on your old tractors n start cropping those fields? joking before i get shot down

In terms of other football clubs or high-level sports she is spot on. Wigan have competition from other football clubs, rugby clubs, ice hockey etc. plus a myriad of leisure pursuits in Manchester/Liverpool etc. I love Norfolk but to be blunt there ain`t much else to do on a saturday afternoon.

[quote user="we8wba"]

[quote user="Blainsey"]well i can think of bu**er all else to do on a saturday in Norwich!![/quote]

get on your old tractors n start cropping those fields? joking before i get shot down

[/quote]tbh people are far more likely to work in insurance than agriculture

[quote user="we8wba"]

im guessing every one was expecting playoff push at least this year, also quite few big teams dropped down which creating better matches

many people prob purchased their ST before likes earnshaw, etuhu and safri were sold

but norwich have a great support regardless, and have been a credit to your club given you current position, great support lads n hope the majority off you dont perform silly protest, walks or what ever you come up with next

keep up the good support

[/quote]

What!??! Who are these big teams?! As a whole the division is alot poorer than when teams like Crewe and Rotherham were in the division..... Teams who know how to play football, this sport has become so much about winning that we have to watch **** like west brom play dull football. There are no big teams in this league.

Also issue with the first post, many hundreds maybe even 3 or 4 thousand turn up to Norwich from outside Norfolk to watch city play. So the arguement about "there is nothing else to do in Norfolk" is flawed

I think we will see a difference when we play Bury, Iknow its a cup match but its not an important match and we will may well see about 14.000 if we are lucky, but I will be one of them

I think it is more along the lines of We have turned up and seen these rubbish games, there is no way in hell im going to miss a game just incase we ACTUALLY play well for once. atleast it like that atm.

There''s no more to do in Manchester on a Saturday afternoon than there is in Norwich, they have the same recreational and leisure activities that we do but on a larger scale. I would say it''s more to do with the way the club markets itself and makes it relatively easy to get a season ticket through the interest free credit scheme. If it wasn''t for so many season ticket holders our attendances would have dropped below 20k for the first time in years.

[quote user="south east canary"][quote user="we8wba"]

keep up the good support

[/quote]

What!??! Who are these big teams?! As a whole the division is alot poorer than when teams like Crewe and Rotherham were in the division..... Teams who know how to play football, this sport has become so much about winning that we have to watch **** like west brom play dull football. There are no big teams in this league.

Also issue with the first post, many hundreds maybe even 3 or 4 thousand turn up to Norwich from outside Norfolk to watch city play. So the arguement about "there is nothing else to do in Norfolk" is flawed

[/quote]

ref bold highlight above, doesn''t make sense.[8-)]

I think you do Norfolk a disservice. There''s lots of other alternative excellent local sporting opportunities: top-level speedway and banger racing, as well as world championship indoor bowling at the right time of year.

Those three for starters could hardly be called dull, now could they?

I have lived in both London and Manchester(born and bred in Norfolk)and believe me Norwich is no different to either of them on Saturday afternoon. If you like shopping with the wife(big girlie) then there is no difference between all three or so she assures me.

The city is no longer a backwater, infact I am assured by my ever shopping wife,sisters,mum that it is a great place. My sister who has lived in London most of her life(it''s a Thetford thing) travels here on a regular basis as apposed to her native London to shop. Luckily(just not this season) just off the city centre is this little fooball club known as Norwich City FC. 

Maybe norwich is just a well supported. Can''t see how that''s hard to understand. We''ve had great gates for a long time, well before any recent success. And we continue to even though we aren''t playing so well and are at the bottom of the table.I wouldn''t say there''s nothing to do in Norwich because. I''d probably say that in terms of things to do norwich rivals most big cities and doesn''t have the added con of it doesn''t take 2 hours to get across city either. Norwich also has the best selection of shops i''ve seen anywhere in the country minus brum, london and manchester. Most people assume norwich is just like a lot of the country parts of norfolk, which isn''t true really. Last time I checked most people in Norwich ain''t farmers.

City attracted 30,000-plus gates regularly in the 1950s when they were in the old Third Division South; and what was it? Home cup game against Portsmouth 42,000?Norfolk has always supported City and I would not be surprised that if the Carrow Road ground capacity was raised to 30,000-plus you would see it filled on a regular basis again.I had two uncles - one from Peterborough the other from Shouldham Thorpe (near King''s Lynn) - who travelled to Norwich every home game and picked up my father for a visit to the ground.You can bet they were not the only ones from the wilds to do the same for their Saturday afternoon entertainment.In those days Norwich City was the only thing that mattered for entertainment.

Norwich is as good a place as anywhere else in the country as far as I''m concerned, an ideal size for a City with everything here you could possibly need and only 20 miles from the coast. Hardly anyone around here are farmers, just goes to prove how thick the northern muppets and the cockney fools are for thinking such a thing.

[quote user="Steve H"]

I''ll quote Roy Keane on this one "There are no boring places, just boring people"

Nuff said.

[/quote]

I wonder if he said that before he went to Sunderland... I''ve found more atmosphere in the upper River end.

[quote user="Grando"]I think you do Norfolk a disservice. There''s lots of other alternative excellent local sporting opportunities: top-level speedway and banger racing, as well as world championship indoor bowling at the right time of year. Those three for starters could hardly be called dull, now could they?[/quote]

That was tongue in cheek, wasn''t it Grando ?! It must have been............... surely. Please tell me it was.

"We are all creatures of habit".........And to me, the footy gives me an excuse to have a few jars, see my mates and have a few more jars an'' pies an'' stuff after the game. (And to temporarily escape my parental responsibility and the exceptionally dire, loada bollox early to mid evening cr@p Saturday trashy TV programmes.

I attend regardless of whatever is occurring at Carra. Because it gives me the opportunity to people watch, whinge, groan, moan, gripe, grunt, snort, fart ,wheeze, belch and occasionally cheer.....(not necessarily in that order)......

It''s just football after a week at work......."Football is Life......What else is there?"

Going to away games (but certainly not by ''Club Cabbage Coaches'') is most excellent and a ''must be done social event''......and still bloody good fun......even at my age......40+......ish.[B][<:o)]

Personally, the ''Millennium Stadium Grand Day Out'' and subsequent promotion to the Premiership - has been the catalyst for the large and consistent attendances at Carra. (Including the slick marketing by the Crafty Cullen with "Roll Up! Roll Up! Not many left now!" Season Tickets.

It is nice to see ''big cheery crowd''s and not ''big dark clouds'' currently at Carra......

But, we do still need fresh blood, a new Chairman and a replacement Chief Exec - in the boardroom....

[quote user="inch_high"]

I have lived in both London and Manchester(born and bred in Norfolk)and believe me Norwich is no different to either of them on Saturday afternoon. If you like shopping with the wife(big girlie) then there is no difference between all three or so she assures me.

The city is no longer a backwater, infact I am assured by my ever shopping wife,sisters,mum that it is a great place. My sister who has lived in London most of her life(it''s a Thetford thing) travels here on a regular basis as apposed to her native London to shop. Luckily(just not this season) just off the city centre is this little fooball club known as Norwich City FC. 

[/quote]

oh yes i did hear mourinho say the other day he wanted to come back to do xmas shopping, it was a hard choice but he choose london over norwich.

i never been shopping in norwich so all i know it could be the best shopping ever, but believe me there is a difference between london and anywhere else in the country

[quote user="The Bishop"] and she responded without malice or spite "well, there''s nothing else to do in Norfolk, is there ?!"  [/quote]She''s never been tyo Wigan then.... or Swindon.....or Rochdale....or.....

[quote user="The Bishop"]As I sat reading the paper, sipping my coffee, I murmured more to myself than to my partner " another big crowd at Carrow Road I see" and she responded without malice or spite "well, there''s nothing else to do in Norfolk, is there ?!" My first reaction was one of indignation but then after a moment''s reflection I thought ''many a true word said in gest'' and wondered if perhaps she had hit upon some hurtful truth. What do you lot think ? Why do we have have such a large number of season ticket holders, 20K plus, why do we turn up week in week out, year after year despite the truly dreadful performances by the team, by the Board and by the owners over the last few years ? Granted, things appear to be on the up and I am as excited as everyone but why such big crowds pre-Roeder ? [/quote]

If you''ve got a phenomenal lack of imagination - otherwise there is plenty to do, imo. All depends on your interests I suppose.  

Well if this argument held any water Burnleys ground should be packed to the rafters every week, when our game was postponed there last season, believe me there was nothing to do, i had the kids with me, we managed to find a tatty pictures with a pub next door and watched Rocky 6, dreadful !!  Burnley not Rocky 6 !!! lol

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Steve H"]

I''ll quote Roy Keane on this one "There are no boring places, just boring people"

Nuff said.

[/quote]

I wonder if he said that before he went to Sunderland... I''ve found more atmosphere in the upper River end.

[/quote]

He said that during the summer when a un-named Premiership turned down a move to Sunderland because his wife wnated a to live in London.

and Carrow Road is a much more appealing place these days with the Riverside complex offering pre match drinking and dining, a generally modern ground with space, its well maintained, looks good and about a decade ago the staff realised they were in the customer entertainment business and long gone are the days where the only snack available was froma  grumpy pensioner with a tray hung round his shoulders. Its only 10-15 mins walk from the city centre  and also the train station so is well connected into the vibrant heart of the city.

Plus of course there is nothing else to do apart from excellent shopping, great pubs, two cathedrals, a castle, several museums, an arts centre, two theatres, rivercruises, numerous other historic monuments, cinemas, golf courses and a sports village.

[quote user="Steve H"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Steve H"]

Nuff said.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He said that during the summer when a un-named Premiership turned down a move to Sunderland because his wife wnated a to live in London.

[/quote]

funny because i swear the player was leyton baines who went to everton