Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Old Man Robson

Just witnessed that emotional, standing ovation to a clearly pretty ill Sir Bobby Robson at the BBC Sports Personality Awards. He deservedly picked up a ''Lifetime Achievement'' award. Was it my imagination or was that redfaced Ips--- Chairman up on stage with him grinning like a Cheshire cat?

Anyway, putting aside local rivalries, it would be churlish in the extreme not to salute the magnificent career that Robson has had in football spanning 50 or more decades. His enthusiasm for life and for the sport has been inspirational and I wonder whether we will see the likes of him again?

His period in charge at Portaloo Road saw ITFC reach sustained heights that we (unfortunately) have never matched. Year after year of European football, regular finishes in the top three or four of the old Div. One, a UEFA Cup title and FA Cup in 1978 not to mention a whole string of international players. Maybe, just maybe, had the European ban not shut the door on us in 1985 and 1987, the late 80''s and early 90''s might have seen us have a real crack at that success that Ipswich had. We''ll never know of course.

Ipswich fans still live off the memories of those days in egotistical fashion and who can blame them. I would as well if it had been us! However, life goes on and I must admit there were periods in the first half on Saturday when my mind wandered back to the best days of Stringer and Walker as we played with a swagger and style that we haven''t seen for several years. Hell of a long way to go following the almost fatal injuries we have sustained since our promotion but Roeder has set a light flickering and lets all do our best to keep the early flame burning.        

I''m sure we all wish Bobby Robson well as he battles cancer again. If you want to read a fine tribute then go to page 126 of The Mail on Sunday and read Patrick Collins. That guy always writes brilliant articles as he rails against the corrupt influence of money and the swollen egos of those in the game today most of whom aren''t fit to tie up Bobby Robsons bootlaces!

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

it would be churlish in the extreme not to salute the magnificent career that Robson has had in football spanning 50 or more decades. [/quote]

Steady on, he''s not that old [:P]

Agreed yellow rider;  the tribute from the kaiser was from the heart and the applause from the audience was truly heart warming.

He was a decent enough player but it is his record as a manager that is truly phenomenal.  Most unusually for any British managr he achieved this both in England and in Europe, creating successful team after successful team irrespective of budget, league style  or player personalities,  unearthing gems of players and coaches along the way and having a remarkable knack of getting those players performing beyond their natural ability.

Most impressive of all is the way he conducted himself - a true gent and I cant thnk of a more fitting candidate for a lifetime acheivement award.

I applaud and agree with everything you say about Bobby Robson. Something that Robson and Roeder have shared is having to deal with the repellent side of modern football at Newcastle - having to pretend that players like Dyer and Bramble (ironically, both ex-Ipswich) were worthwhile members of the human race.

It was nice to see Robson having his moment. The one ex Ipswich figure that i really have nothing against. Just a pity they had to ruin it by lining up the likes of Magilton and Sheepshanks in the background. Those two are pretty much polar opposites of the dignified Robson.

I also totally agree, that the man received a standing ovation when none of the other "stars" did speaks volumes. Just a tad sad that he built his managerial reputation down the road. Lets hope Roeder can do the same here.

Bobby Robson is a true gent and one of the great football man of this world.  It is very disappointing that a man of such high calibe made his name down the road at the scum but I can honestly say that I could never hold that against him. I was very pleased that he won the life time achievement award but its just such a shame to see the condition he is in now :-(.  Congratulations Bobby!!

[quote user="blacko"]I also totally agree, that the man received a standing ovation when none of the other "stars" did speaks volumes. Just a tad sad that he built his managerial reputation down the road. Lets hope Roeder can do the same here.[/quote]

To even mention Roeder in the same sentence as Sir Bobby is patehtic, Roeder has been sacked from every club he has ever been at, the gulf is enormous!!

[quote user="clblue"]

[quote user="blacko"]I also totally agree, that the man received a standing ovation when none of the other "stars" did speaks volumes. Just a tad sad that he built his managerial reputation down the road. Lets hope Roeder can do the same here.[/quote]

To even mention Roeder in the same sentence as Sir Bobby is patehtic, Roeder has been sacked from every club he has ever been at, the gulf is enormous!!

[/quote]

Are you a Clacton blue by any chance?

[quote user="clblue"]

[/quote]

And there lies the difference between City fans and our cheating, thieving neighbours. It''s obvious from this thread and especially this post. I don''t think I need say anymore [:|]

[quote user="clblue"]

[/quote]

That''s a bit unnecessary ''clblue'' - I started this thread by praising the career of Bobby Robson (and outlining the tremendous team he managed at Ipswich for about 8 years or so). Other City fans have been equally bullish in their admiration for the man who is a legend in the game. I''m sure Blacko''s comment was not meant to be taken literally in terms of assessing Robson v Roeder qualities or track record. I agree that Robson wins that hands down (although we have no knowledge of how Roeders career may go in the future).

Lets not start picking holes in this and turning it into a ''Norwich v Ipswich'' thing - it ain''t that at all!! 

I could never bring myself to like him when he was down the A140 but when he left them and went on to manage some of the cream  of europe and ENGLAND my thoughts of him changed and over the years when ever he has been asked for his thoughts he would always come across as a man who spoke from the heart. It will be along time before any manager in todays game can rise to his level of honesty. I hope that Glen and co will go down in NCFC history as the team that  made NORWICH great again then we could be saying great things about them.I think they should be given the freedom of the city the way they have transformed things just like Sir Bobby when he arrived down the A140.

Although his days at IT are some way off now, it is still hard to believe how much I like the guy. He has always been worth listening to, good humour, common sense, good knowledge, sense of perspective, a real gentleman and everything that makes you proud to be English. I thought the award was spot on and the reception he got brought a lump to many throats, mine included. Keep well, Sir Bobby and thank you for a remarkable contribution to the beautiful game.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

it would be churlish in the extreme not to salute the magnificent career that Robson has had in football spanning 50 or more decades. [/quote]

Steady on, he''s not that old [:P]

[/quote]

He is 74

Robson can make the argument that he is one of the best ever. Look at his records

PSV Eindhoven 57 Wins, 7 loses

Porto 86 Wins, 11 loses

Barcelona 38 Wins, 8 loses

The man is a pure legend.... I recommend his autobiography too, it''s a great read

[quote user="Jim Smith"]It was nice to see Robson having his moment. The one ex Ipswich figure that i really have nothing against. Just a pity they had to ruin it by lining up the likes of Magilton and Sheepshanks in the background. Those two are pretty much polar opposites of the dignified Robson.[/quote]

Jim.

Do you really have something against Alf Ramsay?

I sure don''t.

OTBC

[quote user="clblue"]

[/quote]A rare thread displaying the grace and class of City fans in respecting a true great like Robson despite his association with your jumped up little market town, and you have to come along and sour it with your pathetic sniping..Nicely done binner, we expected nothing less. And respect to Robson, you deserve the award as much as you surely don''t deserve to be tainted with the stench of the largest landfill site in East Anglia.

[quote user="inch_high"]

clblue thankyou for your grown up mature comment. Fool.

Regardless of Robsons club history he is one of footballs nice guys and always had my respect.

[/quote]

he cant help it he''s inbred [:)]

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

Robson can make the argument that he is one of the best ever. Look at his records

PSV Eindhoven 57 Wins, 7 loses

Porto 86 Wins, 11 loses

Barcelona 38 Wins, 8 loses

The man is a pure legend.... I recommend his autobiography too, it''s a great read

[/quote]

One of the best ever I think not! Certainly his greatest achievement was taking Ipswich to FA cup and European glory. He did amazing stuff for them and so they should be proud of him.

As England manager he was successful up to a point in getting us there, but international success is deemed on trophies won and he won none. Then again I guess he is not alone there and at least he got us there!

As a club manager he did well abroad, but no European cup win to my knowledge which all true great successful football managers must win to be considered great in football terms alone.

He deserved his award no doubt for his contribution to football over the years and I hold my hat off to him for that, but he is no Brian Clough in terms of achievement.