Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

'Canaries Cancel Christmas'

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED09%20Dec%202007%2022%3A21%3A14%3A850

When I saw that headline in the EDP this morning I did half wonder whether it was going to be one of those made up ''PC gone mad'' stories that are so common at this time of year [;)].

It seems that the club have decided to cancel their Christmas party due to our lowly league position, although what''s this? "We are still going to have a night out or whatnot, but we haven''t officially had a Christmas do.". So they''re still going to have a "night out or whatnot" but this is absolutely not a Christmas party, got it?

Of course it''s all a bit of a non-story, purely designed to appease the sort of idiots who would probably have a pop at any footballer they see enjoying themselves during the Christmas period. You might even call it spin, albeit the sort of spin that people actually like.

I am well impressed by this! It''s all very well for you to accuse them of spin but it just shows a real commitment by the players to get themselves out of the mess they got themselves into. The night out with wotnot is probably a carol service and nothing to do with having a drink. I can honestly say that this idiot has been well and truely appeased and to show my support to the players I''m going to give up having the mother in law round for christmas, just to show that us fans can make the odd sacrifice for the good of the club too. [:P]

" "We cancelled our party until the new year,"Not really cancelled, merely postponed as in ......" "The games didn''t really fall right and the situation we were in ........."We are still going to have a night out or whatnot "

"

Bah, its all humbug anyway!."Thought you might be lighting a few candles and conjuring up a few chants before saturday.............a kind of Hex mass, perhaps

"I did half wonder whether it was going to be one of those made up ''PC gone mad'' stories that are so common at this time of year"

Quite - it''s the kind of headline one would expect if Safri was still here. 

[quote user="shyster"]

"I did half wonder whether it was going to be one of those made up ''PC gone mad'' stories that are so common at this time of year"

[/quote]

Excellent. I bet myself a nice cold pint that you would be the first one to comment on that part of my post. Looks like I''ll be leaving at three to settle my bet [B].

The key part of that quote is ''made up''. I always had you down as one of the more intelligent posters, you don''t really believe that ''they'' are trying to ban Christmas do you?

Anyway, may I be the first to wish you a very happy Winterval [;)].

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

Excellent. I bet myself a nice cold pint that you would be the first one to comment on that part of my post. Looks like I''ll be leaving at three to settle my bet [B].

The key part of that quote is ''made up''. I always had you down as one of the more intelligent posters, you don''t really believe that ''they'' are trying to ban Christmas do you?

[/quote]

Classic isn''t it? I knew Shyster would be on to that like a flash.

This afternoon a turkey won a reprieve.

Tonight the tree came down.

Tomorrow the kids bikes go back to the shop.

When I pluck up the courage the Mother -In-Law will be de-invited.

If our boys can cancel their Christmas for the good of the Club then so can I.

It wouldn''t be so hard if I lived in Mile Cross because I could just pull a plug on the externals and wait for next year but for me it''s out with the ladder and down with the B&Q oscillating icicles.

Will you join me................Christmas is cancelled.................it''s recorded episodes of Silent Witness on the Sky+ instead of Fools and Horses on the 25th....On The Ball City!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The minority of muslims in Britain are offended by Christmas - unfortunately it''s a minority that speaks volumes it seems - why else do the PC lobby claim that minorities are being marginalised at Christmas? And why else do the PC yearn to downplay Christmas whilst welcoming Eid, Diwali and Hanukkah celebrations?

Examples of the erosion of the traditional Christmas festival are becoming increasingly easy to find - last year Tower Hamlets council in east London banned decorations at JobCentres - messages in cards are reading ''holiday greetings'' instead of ''merry xmas'' - many companies have banned decorations in the workplace and now we have only 1 in 5 schools performing traditional nativity plays for fear of causing offense.

And a very merry christmas to you, Shark Attack [:D]

What''s wrong with the players going out on a Xmas night out? Most companies, workplaces do it. I don''t suppose it will cost too much, surely they are allowed out with their own pocket money once or twice a year aren''t they?

[quote user="shyster"]

The minority of muslims in Britain are offended by Christmas - unfortunately it''s a minority that speaks volumes it seems - why else do the PC lobby claim that minorities are being marginalised at Christmas? And why else do the PC yearn to downplay Christmas whilst welcoming Eid, Diwali and Hanukkah celebrations?

[/quote]

Have you got an address for this ''PC Lobby'' Shyster? Do they perhaps have an office I can pop into to voice my displeasure? There are a small minority of people who would like to downgrade Christmas but there are a small minority of people who think Elvis is alive or that 9/11 was an inside job, I find it best just to ignore them.

[quote user="shyster"]

Examples of the erosion of the traditional Christmas festival are becoming increasingly easy to find - last year Tower Hamlets council in east London banned decorations at JobCentres - messages in cards are reading ''holiday greetings'' instead of ''merry xmas'' - many companies have banned decorations in the workplace and now we have only 1 in 5 schools performing traditional nativity plays for fear of causing offense.

[/quote]

I''d not heard of the Tower Hamlets council example, but if they''re truly trying to ban our traditional Christmas festivities what''s this? ( http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/templates/events/detail.cfm?frmEventID=1133 ) I went shopping for Christmas cards yesterday and had no trouble finding ones with ''Merry Christmas'' inside. There were some with ''Seasons Greetings'' in them, but not a disproportionate amount. My workplace looks like Santa''s Grotto at the moment and so have the rest of the offices I have visited over the past week. The offices that have banned decorations have often banned them for Health & Safety reasons, less to do with political correctness and more to do with the fact they are * scared that any accident will lead to them getting sued. Less schools are performing traditional nativity plays because less people care about the ''true'' meaning of Christmas, this has not been caused by political correctness but by rampant consumerism. My local school is not performing a nativity play this year instead they''re having a............carol service.

[quote user="shyster"]

And a very merry christmas to you, Shark Attack [:D]

[/quote]

Merry Christmas to you too Shyster, I only used the word Winterval because it''s the most famous of the ''PC lobby try to ban Christmas'' stories. That myth, and a few more besides, is explained very well in this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/christmas2006/story/0,,1967367,00.html .

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]What''s wrong with the players going out on a Xmas night out? Most companies, workplaces do it. I don''t suppose it will cost too much, surely they are allowed out with their own pocket money once or twice a year aren''t they?[/quote]

Gazza - I''m quite happy the way things are, don''t go making it easy for them to re-schedule that christmas party[<:o)] because if they do and the wife finds out I''m gonna have to re-schedule the mother-in-law.[:''(] If this happens I have decided it will be all your fault [:@] Just let them enjoy the carol service with wotnot [8][A]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich
&itemid=NOED09%20Dec%202007%2022%3A21%3A14%3A850

When I saw that headline in the EDP this morning I did half wonder whether it was going to be one of those made up ''PC gone mad'' stories that are so common at this time of year [;)].

It seems that the club have decided to cancel their Christmas party due to our lowly league position, although what''s this? "We are still going to have a night out or whatnot, but we haven''t officially had a Christmas do.". So they''re still going to have a "night out or whatnot" but this is absolutely not a Christmas party, got it?

Of course it''s all a bit of a non-story, purely designed to appease the sort of idiots who would probably have a pop at any footballer they see enjoying themselves during the Christmas period. You might even call it spin, albeit the sort of spin that people actually like.

[/quote]

Are you sure christmas hasnt been hexed by wiz?

Sorry Nigel, you have lost me, is your mother in law that bad? I am sure the players will sneak out for a few glasses or go out enmass to watch the St Trinians film next week.....lol

4 games in 11 days - it''s sensible not to have a party in the middle of that, isn''t it? Although the difference between a party and a "night out" is pretty small, I would have thought....If the guys put in 4 good performances in those four games, my respect for them as professional fooballers will be restored.