Sign in to follow this  
barclay boy

Huckerby states that we dont have the money to bring in quality + more

Hucks visisted the city college today and when asked do you think we will get promoted, he said u need decent players and money at a football club to sucseed, we have they quality but dont have no money where as bigger clubs in the championship have, this surely means that we dont have the money to spend in january.

Also when asked about his future in football, he replied with im looking to retire in the next 2 years at the most, he followed on with i will never play for an english club again after my time at norwich and i am looking into playing in america, he also stated that he had an offer from an mls club but turned them down to play for us.

That is all very interesting, but Hucks would not be privy to information on money for transfers, that is a private matter between the board and the manager.  He may guess that we don''t have money based on being in debt and having to sell players in the summer, but it is unlikely to know more than the fans.  Also the turners may suddenly decide to give Glenn a war chest and he is not about to tell Huckerby that if that were his intention.  So in conclusion I am not going take what Hucks says as anything other than a guess.

We are one of the biggest clubs in the championship but we have a board who have run the club like we are one of the smallest for the last few years, we can only hope things are about to change cos without a major cash injection for players we won''t get any higher than mid table. We clearly need new owners with significant cash avaliable to move in and take us forward, what happened to Mr Cullum? if I was worth as much as he is and knowing  how much the club needs money to progress I''d be in there like a shot.

I''am sure no player not even the Mighty Hucks has access to the club bank account or is friends with Delia & Sharons accountants. So in short get real he knows little more than we do about what is available to spend.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]That is all very interesting, but Hucks would not be privy to information on money for transfers, that is a private matter between the board and the manager.  He may guess that we don''t have money based on being in debt and having to sell players in the summer, but it is unlikely to know more than the fans.  Also the turners may suddenly decide to give Glenn a war chest and he is not about to tell Huckerby that if that were his intention.  So in conclusion I am not going take what Hucks says as anything other than a guess.[/quote]

Well said.

Actually I think this is more positive than it looks...Hucks is now saying that we do have quality at the club which is a vast improvement on September but, on publically available information and irrespective of the depth of the boards invisible pockets, we will be paupers when compared with other clubs who have had cash injections since the transfer window slammed shut.

Wolves, Leicester, Scum, QPR all have new owners who are prepared to flash the cash and I would guess that Watford and Charlton will spend to return to the premiership, Coventry''s gamble looks like it will pay off and are getting new investment and Sheff Utd/Plymouth will try to consolidate their position. Thats 7 clubs with new cash/deep pockets chasing 6 places at the top (QPR excluded).

Whilst we ain''t as bad as Southampton, Cardiff, (both broke) or Colchester, Scunthorpe and Blackpool (enjoying time in what for them is the Sun) we are not wealthy enough nor in the right position to flash too much cash in January -

From where we are now a fantastic result would be to finish close to the playoffs (the dream remains higher as it must) but the automatic promotion is not feasible. - We should consolidate in January and work on building a base for next Season which looks like it will not contain Dublin and Hucks whatever happens - we need a settled front line at the start of the Season and we need to work on the basis that the two most influential players in the squad will not be there next year - thus purchases have to be for the long term rather than the now.

Well thats my two ''penneth!

[quote user="Mister Positive"]I''am sure no player not even the Mighty Hucks has access to the club bank account or is friends with Delia & Sharons accountants. So in short get real he knows little more than we do about what is available to spend.[/quote]

He has been at the club for 4 years now, I would think he has some idea of the amount of money we have to spend.

hucks may be able to hazard a guess but thats all, if we were desperate for money then i don''t see why the turners wouldnt put at least another loan in. This stuff about the american club making an approach, good of him to stay but i wonder if this has fuelled his ego and thats why he spoke out of turn earlier in the season, knowing he had something to fall back on if he was kicked out.

Poor old Hucks, (and to be honest any other player). What is he supposed to say, yes we''ve got millions to spend? This isn''t the case, although GR has been promised funds for loans. These loans have materialised. Now we need to move on and consolidate those loans into permanent deals. One of them or all of them, who knows?

I could tell you that I do have information saying we will buy in January, but you will all say I am just spreading rumours. Hucks is a player here and has been for a few years now so I would expect him to have more knowledge of the club, including finances than all of us on here. Not all the information that we could want access to, of course not, he''s not on the board.

We have all heard him say he''s had offers before and offers from the Premiership a couple of seasons back, so nothing new there.

It''s a difficult decision for the board, how much of the cash available do they let Glenn use? Has to be enough to ensure safety and the Championship next year, and hopefully some extra to help him build for a better future.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="Mister Positive"]I''am sure no player not even the Mighty Hucks has access to the club bank account or is friends with Delia & Sharons accountants. So in short get real he knows little more than we do about what is available to spend.[/quote]

He has been at the club for 4 years now, I would think he has some idea of the amount of money we have to spend.

[/quote]

I think he has been proven right,with regards Doncasters latest column