Sign in to follow this  
FatboySlimfast

Another one gone to the boring baggies!!

Would have been an excellent signing, and also incresed the chances of Bryan Hughes coming here as well. Whats the betting he will now go to west brom as well!!

How many defenders do WBA want????

Purse is a player who I wouldnt of minded coming here but if I had a choice between him or Bentley I would pick the Arsenal youngster all the time.

Teams such as Leicester (O''Neil era), Blackburn, Charlton have proved that organisation is more important than individual talent when it comes to having a defence capable of competing in the top flight.

It is a hell a lot more difficult to get a creative player who can make a differance in the final third of the pitch. WBA will have no chance with Hughes/Hulse/Horsefield up front!

Dont worry Fatboy.

Being in the midlands gives WBA the perfect position to sign players without them having to uproot their families. Purse hasn''t moved far geographically by going there. Why else would he sign for them instead of city? Oh yeah, they can offer more money too. Bummer.

who cares?

We missed out on players before (Hulse, Connolly...........) we did ok. Nige will get the players he really wants. West Brom are always going to be after players City are interested in, its the name of the game. I am amazed el ginge hasn''t bid for Carrow Road yet

Worthy denied interest in purse and laursen so nothing lost as far as I''m concerned. Purse won''t even have to move house if he goes to the boring baggies so just as well we wern''t interested.

I think it''s great West Brom are signing so many average players. (Although that may not be the case for this big foreign Defender they signed for 2.7million!!) I''d rather have one Bentley than both Scimeca and Purse. Hopefully by the time they''ve spent all their cash they will have done a Leicester and built a good 1st Division side ready for the drop.

Again not wishing to seem as if I''m "having a go" (you seemed to crucify our zlatan ;)) but I believe most of tho posters here were quite keen on bringing Purse in. I for one think he is a fantastic signing, and was quite worried that if he signed for you your defence would become better quality.

With Bentley, congratulations again on signing him, but with Purse we have a player with guaranteed Prem experience, while with Bentley even though he is being touted as the next Bergkamp,he is still quite unproven at this level. But I would have liked to see him sign for us.

Also I''m just letting you know that the Hughes deal with Albion is supposed to have been done already apart from a medical.

Thanks, W?

ah yes, but then didn''t all this happen last season until we signed someone with both talent and a brain who thought megson was the pits

arise sir darren

we will get quality, let megson take the donkeys, it is just history repeating itself

Firstly; Purse hasn''t been signed, a bid has been accepted for him. This doesn''t mean he''s going to WBA, it just means he could do. Remember, WBA had a bid for Huckerby accepted. Look where he is now.

Secondly; Purse is an excellent player - no doubt about it. And at only £500k, he would''ve been a great signing. Surely we are not that much out of pocket that we can''t afford £500k? It does beg the question, why haven''t we enquired about Purse?

Thirdly; If we aren''t going for a player of Purse''s quality, then who are we going for? Does this mean that Worthy has some other plans? With the Celtic defender (can''t spell his name!) denying any move down here (and to be fair, do we really need to gamble on a player who''s been injured in four different places in one season?) Worthy surely has something planned.

in reply to Who

glad you are pleased with your purchases, when you know, in reality, getting DH last season would have had you go up as champions instead of us, would have brought some quality football to your patch, not the mind numbing stuff you (and the rest of us) have seen churned out by megson

i would take bentley every time over purse, with bentley we have hunger, ambition and that special something, i think it is called class

as for the russian sounding one, he was just on here to have a go, while you at least seem to have a reasoned debate, sorry i cannot agree with your sentiments over your team, but as i am in a generous mood, i will wish you good luck for the season anyway :-)

Spot on Gazza, I remember being a bit disappointed [last season] that WBA seemed to be getting the early pre-season signatures, but then the realization that they had saved us from throwing money at a load of dross and that we still had money left to buy class kind of made up for it all!!

Its history repeating itself.

The first options aren''t always the best options.

An analogy is handy.
When you go to the post Christmas sales, do you buy the first thing you see or do you take a more considered view. Usually the second option paysoff.

Certainly did last year - and no reason to think the same won''t happen this time.

Second analogy.
The first flush of sales goods are usually crap!!

Hulse, Lee, Horsefield - need I go on.

I really hate to admit it but I''m p***ed of at this one. Wasn''t overly bothered about Scimica but I really rate Purse. A very solid defender, lots of experience and wouldn''t have broken the bank at 500K. I really wish we would have tried harder to get him.

West Brom obviously think it''s there defence that needs strengthening. Now they have:

Haas
Clement
Moore
Gregan
Sigurdson
Adam Chambers
Gaardsoe
Berthe
Dyer
Albrchtson
Scimca
Purse

That''s a lotta defenders, considering we have about 5!!

They can sign as many defenders like Scimmeca and Purse as they want - Huckerby and Bentley will still tear them apart. Trust in NW , two great signings so far , there will be more to come and I think we will all be pleased.

Yeah I think I have to agree with you on this one DD. How many times in the reply to the posting above do you go to the sales only to have a look around and when you go back the sale items are no longer there. We have to be careful that as far as I am concerned the decent players are not snapped up for us to be landed with the players nobody else wants.

nav man

you mean like last year when after ''losing'' out on the donkeys west brom, w ham and wigan brought, we loaned crouch, harper and hucks?

Trust in Worthy, after all bentley chose us above west brom and several other prem clubs

we will get real class whenever we secure the signing/loan, i am confident in who nigel brings in, i bet not many baggies fans can say they are over the moon with some of the dross megson has brought in over the years

In all honesty if Bentley performs next season for you as well as his reputation suggests he will have been a better signing than Purse. I also agree that if Huckerby had have signed for us than we would have finished top, but by signing for you, he made sure you finished there instead.

:D I know what you mean, but in terms of inpact both players could have on a season, looking back now even though Purse may be an integral part of our defence next season, but I should have thought a bit more, Bentley has the potential to transform your season if he lives up to his expectations, while Purse, although he may prove to be an important player, will not have the effect on our season that Bentley will have on yours. Sorry my mistake.

Out of interest, what other players have you been linked with in recent weeks by the media? I''ve heard nothing but fans specualtion regarding transfer rumours about Norwich, while with Albion various websites and newspapers seem to be linking us with different players every day!