Sign in to follow this  
YellowRoad

Ipswich Town lose .... their impressive long standing European record.

Norwich City will always keep their record as the only team who have beaten Bayern Munch in their old Olympic Stadium in Munich ... this is fantasy football ... yessss.

But last night Ipswich lost their impressive long standing record in offical European Cup matches.

Ipswich had the record for not being beaten in 31 European home matches until they lost v Slovan Liberec in 2002.

The record is now 32 home matches unbeaten when AZ''67 of Alkmaar of the Netherlands won last night 1 - 0 v Greece side Larissa.

The record started in 1977 when they beat Red Boys Differdange from Luxemburg 11 - 1.

Since then they have competed v big clubs:

Barcelona 1 - 1

Liverpool 0 - 0

Inter Milan 1 - 0

Glasgow Rangers 1 - 0

Newcastle 2 - 0

Werder Bremen 0 - 0

On the 20th of december they will host their next English opponent in the UEFA Cup Everton.

AZ''67 also played at Carrow Road for the Dary Sutch Testimonial. I think it was 0 - 0.

Not losing in A SINGLE match against Bayern Munich is not quite the same as 31 Matches unbeaten at european level!

But still little comforts I suppose!

[quote user="clblue"]

Not losing in A SINGLE match against Bayern Munich is not quite the same as 31 Matches unbeaten at european level!

[/quote]

Actually we were unbeaten both home and away vs. Bayern Munich , but hey, your record''s gone now......

[quote user="clblue"]

[/quote]

The difference is that our achievement is in the modern era, yours was when European matches were little more than a distraction from the important domestic competitions.

We are the only British team who have won away in Munich, 1 - 2 thanks to Bowen & Gossy goals.

But were beaten in our 3rd home match v Inter Milan, a Dennis Bergkamp penalty, 0 - 1 .

Wikipedia clearly says that :

"Fans variously claim the title of ''Pride of East Anglia'' for either winning the East Anglian Derby, finishing highest in the league, having the better current league position, having the more successful club history or for reasons without any apparent logical basis."

So we can have this one. So there.

[quote user="clblue"]

Actually our record spanned three decades and icluded our recent Europena exploits in 2001/2002! When were you last in Europe by the way?

BOTL@CARROW RD

[/quote]

when were u last in the Premiership?

When did u last win a major Trophy?

when did u last pay 3.5 million for a player?

when was the last time you had  a player play for England whilst still at ur club?

shall i continue binner?

jas :)

BOTL@CR is quite a retarded thing for ITFC fans to say.

a) when we said top of the league at portman road it was referring to NCFC so itfc fans saying botl@cr is like saying itfc were bottom of the league at carrow road. RETARDS!

[:$] We were already bottom before the derby