Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

we all like to bash Canaries World But have to give them some credit.

This week they have really good extended highlights of the Blackpool game (10 mins) with the Radio Norfolk commentary blended into the video.

The video is shot from the opposite side to the major outlets. (gives a better view of the "penalty" and Taylors goal)

For those of us who are IP blocked from sites like virgin this is brilliant.

Agreed much improved highlights - I hope this is going to continue

Well, yesterday I complained about their lack of mac computer access and asked a few questions. But all I received was a long anonymous form letter explaining that due to pirating they won''t be changing systems in the future; for some reason mac users are being penalised. All my various point and questions were ignored. Nice. All I want to do is listen to the live commentary when there''s a match on, but as I''m an exiled canary living in London I can''t listen to Radio Norfolk.The whole thing doesn''t sit right in my mind, in fact the whole set-up stinks.Oh, whatever. If they don''t want my money, then stuff ''em.

CriikKKkeyeyyYYY.......I agree the highlights have been much better, plus I like that they have been putting more pics on the main site as well as desktop backgrounds.Now my mate Nev says he thinks he has an explination about Canaries World on mac, I''ll let him explain.....Thanks Mick, I have both mac and pc and although I much prefer the pc I agree that it should be more readily available for mac users, unfortunatly I think this is out of the hands of Canaries World because the problem lies in the limitation of the mac version of Media Player.I''ll try and explain to my best understanding of how the system works.Canaries World want to limit the sharing of their files as much as possible which is why they have opted for the use of WMP (Windows Media Player). WMP files can have licences assigned to particular files, when we sign up to canaries world our ip gets logged and I assume wherever we login also gets logged on their server (for example if you login at work, at home, a mates place these are all logged against your username)When you go to play a file WMP contacts the Canaries World server and verifies that you are a registered user that has paid membership to have access to the files, once it is verified a licence is downloaded to your machine to play these and future files.WMP on mac does not have this verification/licence module in it, it is purely a stand alone player which is where the problem lies for mac users.Now I might not be correct but I have been trying on both and this is my conclusion, anyone feel free to correct me if I''m wrong.Either way I have found a way around it, although it is a bit of a pain, what you need to do is download boot camp if you have OS10.5, I have not used it myself but as far as I know it is free to mac users and allows you to boot into windows from your mac (you will need to get hold of a windows disk as well i assume). Not ideal I know but!Nev, for a bloke that wanders around the bush all day wearing practiclly nothing how did you become such a nerd?

I agree the Blackpool highlights were fantastic, but why can''t they always give us 10 mins of highlights.  Hopefully they will from now on.

Its easy to knock them..

I get all my news from this site, the goals from YouTube (as no need to long in every time I connect to the site)..which means in essence I am paying £35 a year to listen to Radio Norfolk for a few hours each week! Oh how those in Norwich mock this fact..

Maybe the YouTube / Virgin Media highlights has finally made them get their act together.

[quote user="Mr Sheep"]Well, yesterday I complained about their lack of mac computer access and asked a few questions. But all I received was a long anonymous form letter explaining that due to pirating they won''t be changing systems in the future; for some reason mac users are being penalised. All my various point and questions were ignored. Nice.

All I want to do is listen to the live commentary when there''s a match on, but as I''m an exiled canary living in London I can''t listen to Radio Norfolk.
The whole thing doesn''t sit right in my mind, in fact the whole set-up stinks.

Oh, whatever. If they don''t want my money, then stuff ''em.
[/quote]

You can''t buy something you know isn''t very well supported, and then whinge when it continues to be. Unfortunately, being a Mac user, you''ve made a rod for your own back...

I''m a big BeOS fan - I don''t cry into my cereal because despite being the greatest operating system ever written (to this day) that it never got support from Canaries world - it never had support, I don''t cry that it still doesn''t.

If you buy a Mac, you know the deal. It''s your own fault.

Also - if you invested a little time, maybe try and work out ways that you can hear Canaries World. It''s possible on a Mac. Might learn something, too (like, next time, save your money and get a PC that can do everything possible other than look as pretty).

[quote user="ob1"]

You can''t buy something you know isn''t very well supported, and then whinge when it continues to be. Unfortunately, being a Mac user, you''ve made a rod for your own back...

If you buy a Mac, you know the deal. It''s your own fault.

Also - if you invested a little time, maybe try and work out ways that you can hear Canaries World. It''s possible on a Mac. Might learn something, too (like, next time, save your money and get a PC that can do everything possible other than look as pretty).

[/quote]

Can''t agree with this. Premium TV run the websites for the majority of clubs in the top two leagues - that''s a lot of Mac users. Any web company that says "we only develop for IE 6" or similar can''t really be termed professional. Most large websites should be able to run on IE / Firefox / Safari - including video / audio.

Do they make it clear before signing up that Mac users won''t be able to access any of the media content?

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]Any web company that says "we only develop for IE 6" or similar can''t really be termed professional. Most large websites should be able to run on IE / Firefox / Safari - including video / audio. [/quote]

Browsers don''t support audio - that is handled by plugins/alternative means - those alternative means are supported by Macs, not the other way around!! Nothing to do with IE/ Firefox/ whatever. Browser support has nothing to do with audio support *through* a browser!

It''s like buying a Mini and then complaining that that the roads don''t support it going up to 200mph. Buy a decent car instead.

OR, like I said, learn a little about what your machine can do (scarey thought for a Mac user I realise) and do it. You can listen to that stuff through a Mac.

You could see how low the clubs web site has got when you had to pay for Canaries World to see the clubs tribute to Graham Paddon. I was disgusted.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

okay, so you are a confirmed Microsoft devotee, good for you. I use a mac (and luckily live in Norwich so don''t need Canariesworld). There are advantages to a mac, no viruses, no popups and beauty. We are not all governed by buying cheap grey boxes and using IE. Safari works well, is fast sharp and 100% reliable.

Oh and fellow mac users, watch the highlights on Youtube, links are on most city fan messageboards.

Don''t worry, I haven''t signed up for it, I''m not that divvy. I just had a pop at them for not being mac-friendly. I read up on the drm-stuff and it''s also the same for BBCi and C4 OnDemand, and it''s really frustrating.  I bought a mac when Canaries World still supported Macs a few years ago (they used Realplayer for the commentaries) so I think it''s fair for me to complain.I use a mac for work (I''m an illustrator) and it''s a product I''m far more comfortable with them than PCs (I''ve tried both).The BBC promise to  allow mac users access to their DRM stuff soon, so hopefully Canaries World will use the same technology too.