Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

'Make no mistake this is a big club'.

Please get your minds around this DWJ, MWJ, ND and the rest.

And cut out the little old Norwich c*ap.

It''s psychologically devastating.

If you can get that, and get on board, we might be half way towards the return of good times.

It''s about confidence, common sense, straight backs and pride.

OTBC

thing is though there are several other clubs considering themselves big clubs i.e

wolves, wba, charlton, watford, sheffutd, norwich, ipswich, saints, palace, forest leeds and prob several other

what is a definition of a big club? i would say a team with half decent ground, in prem and playing well not any of the teams above

all teams bleat on about history this history that but end of day what is history now adays? team like fulham who hasnt won anything serious ever or say take my wolves for example who in 50''s dominted won cups in 70s and reached uefa cup final

if fred bloggs from africa had option to join wolves or fulham who would he choose?

my guess would be fulham as they in prem n money is prob more

the size of the club doesnt matter no more its all about the money and the top league im afraid

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Please get your minds around this DWJ, MWJ, ND and the rest.

And cut out the little old Norwich c*ap.

It''s psychologically devastating.

If you can get that, and get on board, we might be half way towards the return of good times.

It''s about confidence, common sense, straight backs and pride.

OTBC

[/quote]

Who is the quote from?

Oh Balls!  Norwich is a BIG club. Before the need for all ground seating we would get 39,000 to a match and couldd o again if the Board would sanction a second tier on the City Stand. Smudger & Co have got you thinking otherwise. We are the biggest Club in the Championship.We have world wide support, we are the best and let us ALL realise that,

On the ballCity and up the table we will go.

[quote user="Bobert"]

Oh Balls!  Norwich is a BIG club. Before the need for all ground seating we would get 39,000 to a match and couldd o again if the Board would sanction a second tier on the City Stand. Smudger & Co have got you thinking otherwise. We are the biggest Club in the Championship.We have world wide support, we are the best and let us ALL realise that,

[/quote]

ok without trying to pee you all of

lets try a selling game you have to sell to me why norwich city is the biggest club in the championship and i sell to you why your not

ok here i go....

i maybe wrong on this one but you have won the league cup twice    f.c cup 0      league 0

if this is correct there are many teams in this league who has won the old league one, fa cup and league cup more

so now your turn to sell me a reason, remember i will give reasons for the whole of the championships teams

[quote user="we8wba"]i maybe wrong on this one but you have won the league cup twice    f.c cup 0      league 0

if this is correct there are many teams in this league who has won the old league one, fa cup and league cup more

so now your turn to sell me a reason, remember i will give reasons for the whole of the championships teams

[/quote]

You said in your other post history doesn''t mean a thing..!

OK so which club can be bottom of the Championship and still get sell out crowds of 25,000 each week?

And yes I do think Leeds are a big club as well.

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="Bobert"]

[/quote]

lets try a selling game you have to sell to me why norwich city is the biggest club in the championship and i sell to you why your not

ok here i go....

i maybe wrong on this one but you have won the league cup twice    f.c cup 0      league 0

[/quote]

all teams bleat on about history this history that but end of day what is history now adays? team like fulham who hasnt won anything serious ever or say take my wolves for example who in 50''s dominted won cups in 70s and reached uefa cup final

You said this in a previous post, so the fact that we have only one 2 league cups shouldn''t really come into, the fact that you were good in the 50''s but have not won much since, maybe wrong, but that is what I understand, I''m not into this we are a big club thing, we may have the 2nd highest average in this division, but does that make us a big club.

I do think that out of history and attendances, having a bigger crowd makes you a bigger club than a few trophies 50 years ago.

Okay We8wba, you asked for it, as nicely as I can then -

Most championship sides have experienced promotion, relegation etc in the past few years. None have any really decent cup winning history in the past decade. You won the FA cup in the distant past, as we won the League cup. History isn''t much use to any team in the present. So what would you judge a big or small club on?

Winning trophies? None have recently.

Ground capacity? Some have larger grounds than you, Sheff Wed for example. You have a larger capacity than us, but don''t fill it - nor do any of the clubs currently in the top six. Sheff Utd currently have the biggest gates, we are second to them.

Potential? That is probably a subjective thing. We all hope we can gain promotion. There are many reasons why we might succeed or fail.

I think what the statement, "Make no mistake this is a big club" meant is that there is great potential for success and for building that success. Currently we have a pretty decent ground and training facility, we have a large and very loyal fanbase. What we don''t have at the moment is the team to achieve great things, but I have no doubt Mr Roeder is working on that at the moment. For too long a lot of people (including some city fans) have thought of us as a nice family club where all that counts is having a nice day out. That has to change and I believe it is changing.

Anyway We8wba, hope to see you again in the play offs one day! lol

[/quote]

ok here i go....

[/quote]

The past is irrelevant.  What teams won in yesteryear is lovely for the portfolio but doesn''t really count when you are considering what is and what isn''t a big club in this day and age.  So on to Norwich....

One of the fastest expanding cities in the UK.

Only 2 hours from the capital

Catchment area getting on for 1m +

Superb modern stadium in the heart of the city that we own

State of the art ''Premier League'' quality training facilities

No Rivals in the same catchment area.  Ipswich is too far away to count.

Second highest attendance record in the division despite being bottom.

What I am saying is that if this club was really well run and reasonably successful we could get 35,000 + every match.  That for me consitutes what a big club is all about, fan base and attendances.  It would be great to have won the cup sure, but does it really matter.  Todays game is about money and advertising, the more people see you the better proposition you are for advertising revenue.  The more saleable you become as an advertising medium the more often the TV cameras come, the more the TV cameras come the more money you earn etc etc.

Quite a few teams tick that box but unfortunately they are all in a territorial scrap for dominance, yours included.  We don''t have that problem, we are the only club in our area of note.  Ipswich are similar but starting to get near to the area dominated by West Ham.

We aren''t a big club at the moment, but we certainly could be.  Everything is there for us to make the step up, we just need clever investment and a bit of success. 

[/quote]

ok here i go....

[/quote]

Oh goody. we8wba is sitting in judgement of Norwich fans being enthusiastic and having a positive opinion about their own football club on their own message board. For the billionth time.

we8wba, you post some very interesting stuff on here, I think most would agree. And an outsiders opinion is of course always valuable and valid. But do you HAVE to be so damned patronising the whole time? Really? Because whenever there is a post debating the merits of anything about our club you seem to take great pleasure (i''m sorry, but you do) by chipping in in that condescending, patronising manner of yours and boring us all to tears with reasons why we are small time / delusional / deficient in some way.

Oh, and in answer to a poster further up - I may be wrong, but I think the quote is attributable to Roeder.

[quote user="Bobert"]

[/quote]

Yeah and Charlton got 75,000+ so we are half the size of them??

The old big club little club debate is largely irrelevant in the days of Murdoch''s millions. The old big club definition was a club capable of regularly getting 40-50,000 in grounds suitable for the holding FA Cup Semi-Finals who could use this financial muscle to sign the best players and through this build sucess. Norwich were never in this class. Remember this was in the days before the season ticket explosion created the sheep mentality where the majority go every week. Fans would wake up on a Saturday and think to themselves I think I''ll take in a match today or as its raining I''ll stay in bed. Result for Norwich was gates that go go from the low teens to the low thirties. Big clubs in the 70s were Manchesters City & United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leeds with Villa, Chelsea, Wednesday on their coat tails and the possibility of the medium size (Forest, Derby, Wolves etc) and sleeping giants (Newcastle) dragging themseles amongst the honours.

Now a big club is one in the Champions League selling a lot of shirts in China. Not really Norwich, not really a problem to a Championship club. Face it Wigan are bigger (in that they have the financial muscle).

[quote user="we8wbacl"]

[/quote]

hmmmmmm [^o)]

History lessons don''t mean anything my friend. Remember that Wolves 3xchampions in the dark distant past just like Huddersfield. Chelsea also have only been 3xchampions. Big clubs are not about whose got the longest memory [;)]

This continual "little Norwich" rant stems from a quote by Delia when we were in the Premiership and not a quote from where we are now. Roeder may have made the same quote in the same circumstances just as Delia wouldn''t have made that quote at the bottom of the championship.

What sums it up for me is a similar thread on here last season stating that Madejski and Coppell didn''t see Reading as a small club as they were taking the Prem by storm. But then a couple of weeks later Coppell came out with his own "Little Reading speech" Roeder might have done the same in the same position. It''s all about the here and now but looks so different when taken out of context later.

I read an article about Mandaric yesterday which stated that the reason why he invested in Portsmouth over several other clubs was that they were not living in the shadow of more successful clubs. This very much applies to Norwich and we don`t even have other major sports to compete with such as rugby/ice hockey/cricket/speedway etc.

Our catchment area of Norfolk/North Suffolk has a population of over a million so the potential to grow as a football club should be obvious to anyone. The question is where does Delia`s "little old Norwich" outlook come into this? Are we heading in the right direction?

yes this is what i want a nice debate, not f-ing n blinding at me,

i for one agree with the history comment, i was just starting the debate, i believe history means jack now in size of club look at fulham reading wigan for example

im not trying to say my team is the biggest im debating on norwich ok before they get drawn into it

pro''s for noriwch being the biggest team

training facilities - state of the art

loyal fans - 25k regularls no matter what

recently been in prem

15years ago was one of the better teams in country - not many in our league can say that

progression of players - ashton, green

reasons why not

history - i.e my wolves bin uefa cup final, best team in the world in the 50s and won several cups

teams have been in prem more recently

teams have more money - leicester for example, even midlish teams like stoke prob do

teams have better stadium or similar - saints, cov, hull, wolves, wba, sheffweds

teams spend big in transfers - sheffutd spent more on one player in beattie than most of us did altogether

im just rasing the debate as said above if norwich is the biggest team in the championship as stated, i believe sheffutd probably are because they fit most of the tick boxes

This oft-quoted description by Delia of ''Little Norwich''; my own impression when I watched the interview was that she was referring to how we are perceived by others. I.e. I heard an implied ''supposedly'' in there. Am I the only one who took it this way?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]For too long a lot of people (including some city fans) have thought of us as a nice family club where all that counts is having a nice day out. That has to change and I believe it is changing. [/quote]

Is being a nice family club and a big club mutually exclusive because I see no reason why that should be the case?

Clearly the board can do no right in some people''s eyes but it seems to me that one of the major reasons we have a ''large and loyal support'' is down to the fairly enlightened policies that the board has followed.

Pre-Delia I think we were averaging about 14,000 at Carrow Road. I''m not saying that all the increase is attributable to her but they have certainly tried, kids for a quid etc, to build the fan base for the long term.

Then of course there are the facilities that people so despise the Board spending money on - I dont know how big an overall impact this has but I do know that Carrow Road is a much better environment to watch football in than many of the holes that still pass for football grounds.

[quote user="Lincoln Canary"]This oft-quoted description by Delia of ''Little Norwich''; my own impression when I watched the interview was that she was referring to how we are perceived by others. I.e. I heard an implied ''supposedly'' in there. Am I the only one who took it this way?[/quote]

So why didn''t she say ''supposedly''?

If she were challenging a perception, she would surely have put it in.

Talk about spin.

Shocked Shocked

Chair Bang

OTBC

i agree with most posts on here

im not saying your not a biggish club

im just saying what makes a big club nowdys? as said on post before if fred bloggs african can sign for fulham or say norwich who would he choose? standards, ground, facilities everything would suggest you bigger than fulham but im sure he would go fulham

thats just an example before you say im picking on you or they are london club etc..

i was just asking the bloke who said norwich were the biggest in championship what proof he got to back that and what makes a big championship side really

[quote user="Lincoln Canary"]This oft-quoted description by Delia of ''Little Norwich''; my own impression when I watched the interview was that she was referring to how we are perceived by others. I.e. I heard an implied ''supposedly'' in there. Am I the only one who took it this way?[/quote]

Talk about spin.

Shocked Shocked

Chair Bang

No, that''s exactly the way it came across to me. To say "supposedly" in that context would have been unnecessarily pedantic.

But then, perhaps it seemed that way to me because I haven''t got a huge chip on my shoulder.

[/quote]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

''Make no mistake this is a big club''........Grunted the hungry caveman to the Brontosaurus.....

[/quote]lol

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]For too long a lot of people (including some city fans) have thought of us as a nice family club where all that counts is having a nice day out. That has to change and I believe it is changing. [/quote]

Is being a nice family club and a big club mutually exclusive because I see no reason why that should be the case?

Clearly the board can do no right in some people''s eyes but it seems to me that one of the major reasons we have a ''large and loyal support'' is down to the fairly enlightened policies that the board has followed.

Pre-Delia I think we were averaging about 14,000 at Carrow Road. I''m not saying that all the increase is attributable to her but they have certainly tried, kids for a quid etc, to build the fan base for the long term.

Then of course there are the facilities that people so despise the Board spending money on - I dont know how big an overall impact this has but I do know that Carrow Road is a much better environment to watch football in than many of the holes that still pass for football grounds.

[/quote] We have a great support due to extreme loyalty. There are also a lot of fans on season tickets, and some of those on 3 and 5 year plans. Maybe should our fortunes not turn around there will be 14,000 again. I can only speak for myself and others I know (as most of us) but no one I know comes to watch Norwich because of the board. We had a reasonable stadium before and the addition of a hotel and a few restaurants don''t add to a matchday for the majority do they? Sure it''s family orientated, was when my kids were young (under the previous regime). They got in for next to nothing too. They are real fans more due to watching great football in their first season (92/93), not down to any board policies. Ask me to swop for a shed like Portsmouth and see Premiership football and I think you will guess the answer. More money to be diverted to the team, less on spin, buildings and let''s forget this happy family and little Norwich stuff. We need to toughen up from the top down. The players are already feeling the effects. Winning and success need steel and quality, the board need to get smart quick and back the manager - only on the football field will success really matter.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"][quote user="Creative Midfielder"]

[/quote] We have a great support due to extreme loyalty. There are also a lot of fans on season tickets, and some of those on 3 and 5 year plans. Maybe should our fortunes not turn around there will be 14,000 again. I can only speak for myself and others I know (as most of us) but no one I know comes to watch Norwich because of the board. We had a reasonable stadium before and the addition of a hotel and a few restaurants don''t add to a matchday for the majority do they? Sure it''s family orientated, was when my kids were young (under the previous regime). They got in for next to nothing too. They are real fans more due to watching great football in their first season (92/93), not down to any board policies. Ask me to swop for a shed like Portsmouth and see Premiership football and I think you will guess the answer. More money to be diverted to the team, less on spin, buildings and let''s forget this happy family and little Norwich stuff. We need to toughen up from the top down. The players are already feeling the effects. Winning and success need steel and quality, the board need to get smart quick and back the manager - only on the football field will success really matter.[/quote]

You''re writing some good sense these days Gazza.

OTBC

[quote user="gazzathegreat" We have a great support due to extreme loyalty...... They are real fans more due to watching great football in their first season (92/93), not down to any board policies. Ask me to swop for a shed like Portsmouth and see Premiership football and I think you will guess the answer. /quote]

Sorry but this doesnt make sense. If the fans are so loyal and were turned on originally by the great football of 92/93 then why were the crowds down to 14/15,000 again by the end of the Chase era?

The fact remains that crowds have risen dramatically under this regime (for some reason) and have stayed very high despite the dross we''ve seen on the pitch for a while now, whereas under the previous lot people very quickly disappeared after the excitement of the early nineties.

I''m not suggesting for a moment that things couldnt be a lot better than they are now, I just dont think this ''little Norwich'' theory which gets trotted out so frequently actually has anything to do with it.

Talk about spin.

[/quote]It''s spin alright - you''re cynically re-interpreting remarks taken out of context. This reminds me of the hysterical reaction to the mods'' decision to refuse to publish private emails: the usual suspects squealed that it was the Board that had put the arm on Archant, ignoring the mods repeatedly saying that they were just abiding by the rules. Why bother? There are valid complaints to be made against the Board without inventing nonsense. And those, quite serious, complaints can be weighed against the good things that the Board''s done (such as increasing the Club''s support) without in any way weakening their validity.

i submit that we ARE one of the Biggest clubs, definitly in the top 15 or so in the country (based on fan base, facilites etc), BUT we are not one of the most successful, if we werent so far from the rest of the country, we would have attracted a few more fans, a few more players and alot more exposure/sponsership, i think if this was true, we would proberley be rated around the evertons, spurs and villas of this world

Talk about spin.

Shocked Shocked

Chair Bang

OTBC

[/quote]

Because she hoped people would have the intelligence they were born with?

Talk about morons.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat" We have a great support due to extreme loyalty...... They are real fans more due to watching great football in their first season (92/93), not down to any board policies. Ask me to swop for a shed like Portsmouth and see Premiership football and I think you will guess the answer. /quote]

Sorry but this doesnt make sense. If the fans are so loyal and were turned on originally by the great football of 92/93 then why were the crowds down to 14/15,000 again by the end of the Chase era?

The fact remains that crowds have risen dramatically under this regime (for some reason) and have stayed very high despite the dross we''ve seen on the pitch for a while now, whereas under the previous lot people very quickly disappeared after the excitement of the early nineties.

I''m not suggesting for a moment that things couldnt be a lot better than they are now, I just dont think this ''little Norwich'' theory which gets trotted out so frequently actually has anything to do with it.

[/quote] Lots of reasons CM, mostly the destruction of the great squad Mike Walker had, plus external factors which no particular football club controlled, ie the fantastic coverage by Sky and the general upturn in numbers attending matches, not just us, but all over the country. In 92/93 the football was first class and until we were relegated and let''s face it, all that happened with that, who cared much about Chairman Chase. We all went for the football and that''s it, I suppose you could say a lot of the fans who go now think likewise and don''t really care who''s in charge, they just want to see a good match. Crowds may have risen during the Delia years, but not all that is down to their policies. Football is fashionable, though you get the feeling this is cooling slightly, and probably more so due to England''s sorry showing of the past few years. As I said in the previous post, numbers are high due to a number of clever marketing ploys, namely 3 and 5 years season tickets. There are a large perentage of season ticket holders to total attendance figures. Do you wonder if the season tickets had been capped four years ago at say 18,000 we would be seeing 24,000 crowds today. Maybe not. Little Norwich has to go CM. We must push on and be more ruthless, more ambitious and think beyond the box, and preferably on the pitch, not so much off it. The little Norwich theory has been a telling factor in the prudence so beloved of the board. Now they have got a ambitious and clever manager who wants us to go places and become a much bigger Norwich. Hope they can, and want to keep up.