Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jim

Player names on shirts

I always think that this is a bad idea, as they can become redundant fairly quickly!

Remeber thinking that at the beginning of the 2002-2003 season when I saw a bloke wearing a Marc Libbra (where is he now?!) shirt that looked brand new!

I personally think nothing on the back looks best,

thoughts?

Never been one for this until Hucks fever took over and I got his name and number on my shirt. But then I also got him to sign it. I''m such a child.

Champions 04 looks, and sounds, good though.

If you see anybody in the pubs over the next few weeks with Huckerby on the back of their England away shirt- That''ll be me! I couldn''t resist. I know what you mean though Jim about it being dodgy getting a player on the back of a shirt. Prior to Hucks the only player I''ve ever had on my shirt was Ashley Ward. But he was flogged to Derby not that long after I got it! I think a few people were put off in the Eadie/ Bellamy years. They were pretty popular to be put on a shirt and when they were sold, fans were put off as they didn''t know how long players would be here. I''ve never seen a player get as many names on the backs of shirts as Hucks has though. The good people in the club shop must have loved him!

I always laugh when you see the odd old shirt with Coote or Derveld or something similar on! How embarassing. Another story I heard was that a few years ago a mother bought her son a Norwich shirt and she had his surname put on the back. Unfortunately for the lad his surname happened to be Chase!! I don''t think he wore it much!!

But do you think football club''s most important part is merchandising? It will only benefit the club. Personally I love to wear the shirt with my favourite player''s name. Also it will show a bit of loyalty to the players too.

Never seen the point in having player names on shirt backs. I always put my own name on, they''re much more personalised then. I''d much rather be me than someone else.

I prefer having my name on the back!
and just having the players number, that way if they move on it dont look silly!

Even at the age of 41 I felt that I must have a shirt with Huckerby''s name and number on back.
Good to wear it in Nottingham where he had a few weeks on loan to Forest.

Must mention what happened recently in Tenerife,
I thought one day I would wear my Norwich shirt for a walk along seafront at Los Cristianos, big mistake, every timeshare scratch card ticket operator spotted it and immediately was able to strike up a conversation.
If anyone has been to Tenerife they will know what I mean, they have gone from blatant time share selling to ''hello mate, would you like a free drink etc, have a go on this scratchcard and see if you win a prize !''

Apart from that I am always proud to wear my shirts at work and around Nottingham.

Nick

I had to laugh when l saw this l have to be the ultimate in this department , not only do i have # 19 Libbra on red away , # 27 Rivers on yellow , but l have a one off shirt which is fantastic its got to be a collectors item ........ l have a long sleeved home shirt with # 15 HEALY on it ! . l heard it on good authority from another Northern Canary who had contacts with the board ( alledgedly ) that DH was gonna sign for us , so l got ahead of the game .... Anyway l actually got Healy to sign it for me and l still think he''s a good player anyway and you never know he might sign for us in the future ? .

I heard Rivers had got KEBAB on his shirt and Mulryne''s some KFC, but thats what happens when you don''t get changed after a game before hitting the nightlife......

DH did sign for us...oh, sorry harrogate canary, that was, of course, the one and only Darren Huckerby! You would have got away with it if you had just had the initials on your shirt!

XXL16, your devotion to all things Daryl Sutch knows no bounds, good on you... IMO Sutchy was a decent player who served City well...

I try to buy a new shirt as soon as it becomes available to get two years wear out of it and then when the next one comes out I put a name on the previous one. That way I dont put on names such as a Dean Coney! Last summer I put on Drury before that Roberts etc. After name is put on them and I dont wear them as much as I''m proudly wearing the new shirt. Who should I put on next summer? Going to have to be someone special to knock Huckerby off the top of the list.

I got Bellamy put on the back of a brand new shirt - he left 8 days later! :(

I just put the 1st letter of my favourite players on the shirt Svenson,Huckerby,Abbey Gallacher.....I get lots of strange looks!!

nick where do you live in notts i lived there for 3 years and maybe after a few years with the police in london will move back. love it up there.
on the subject of names on back not really into that like everybody says you get a name on it and they go and then try to adjust the letters to make someone elses or hope they buy a another player with same name

d-block barclayboy
I live in Carlton, Nottingham.
As it happens half mile down road from me is a new estate road on edge of playing field, road called ''Huckerby''s field''.

Nick

I hope Sutchy will sign for King''s Lynn so I can continue to see him play football, he was always treated unfair by the majority of fans.

yep nick know it well, i lived in canning circus, radford and hoveringham just out side notts.
hucks field hey bet they want to change that after he left dont let the st anns crew hear about that they will burn it down

DD i sympathise, i had an eadie shirt for a while, but couldn''t wear it after he left, since then i didn''t have a player on the back until september last season!!!

i just couldn''t resist it, and the stick i got from the people around me saying that the shirt would only last until december!!! I shall be wearing the same shirt next season too, it has so many memories for me i cannot replace it

ha ha i had the last laugh - the first person to have Huckerby 6 on their shirt :-)

i got the prized possession on sept 30 DD

i was so convinced we were going to sign him, and i didn''t see another hucks shirt until late october which was long b4 we did sign him!! the people around me in the ground all took the mickey out of me saying i would have to buy another in december, but i just smiled and told them to get one too and gradually they did!!

I didn''t know city angel when i bought the shirt DD so she wasn''t there to congratulate me, but the woman in the club shop thought i was mad!!

on the green away colmans shirt i had o''niell 11!!! hahaha, have nothing on my new home or away shirt..considering a players name and was keen on svensson 19 at the end of the season, but may not prove to be as good in the premier.